New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Officers

Posted in the Greenlawn Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Lets be Fair

United States

#1 Sep 18, 2007
As the daughter, wife, and sister of NYC Correction Officers, I get very frustrated because it seems like the Police Officers always seemed to get the positive publicity. The CO's are definitely the forgotten group in law enforcement. Its as though they don't really exist, unless you have a riot in the jail or a CO gets arrested other than that you don't hear anything positive. There jobs are very important. Family life is affected because of the work schedules. The most important thing is the same crimminals arrested by the police is the same ones the CO's are with 8-16hrs per day; they are your murderers,rapist,pedofiles,ser ial killers, etc.
Please be reminded I am not putting police work down in anyway; because I believe those Officers do a good job but I would like for the public to understand how important the CO's job is also; You have to be a special person (male or female) with a lot of nerve to do that job. Am I the only one that feels this way? Anyone out there agree with me
smoothb1984

Astoria, NY

#2 Feb 24, 2009
i agree correction officer are forgotten officer i am not going to say that policce officer should not get their glory but the jobs go hand and hand and i wish there were more than just a negative perspective of correctional officers i know a few correction officer and a few police officers and the diffrence is dog catcher dog pound still works hand and hand
Bonilla1976

AOL

#3 Jul 30, 2009
I am a New York City correction officer and I will say this, to be a correction officer takes a special kind of person. It is a thankless job and many people to not understand the the wolrd that exsist behind the walls of a jail. Police officers rightfully earned there respect, they do a dangerous job and do it well. The problem with correction officers is that NO ONE see's the dangers we go through on a day to day basis! we are out numbered at all times and only have our quick thinking to help us out of a hostile situation. Furthermore we dont carry any guns, only pepper spray. That's tuff when you are one maybe two officers to fifty inmates, and those murders, rapist, serial killers and childmolester that police officers take off the streets have to be brought to justice. WHile these individuals are awaiting there fate, someone has to deal with them on a day to day basis, and face those dangers everyday in close proximity. Yes correction officers do deserve more credit for what they do, But respect is something I have always gotten especially from my counterparts in the NYPD. Every police officer I have ever encountered has always been repectful courteous and thankful for the job I do.
Michael Rocco

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Oct 3, 2009
My Father is a Retired NYC Cout Officer (20 Years) A Court Officer is basically the in between of the Police and the Correction Officer.

I very Much Respect the work a Correction Officer does and especially a NYC CORRECTION OFFICER working in RIKERS.

Thank You for Your Dedication to help keep the Greatest City in the World a Better Place.
Geraldo

Jamaica, NY

#5 Jan 18, 2010
Why is it always have to be about who gets the respect, credits, publicity and so forth, I mean come on get serious MAN it's a job with different kinds of traits. A cop do his job on the streets and the CO do his inside. I mean what the hell? Forget about who get the credits and the possitives and negatives publicities because at the end every one wants to go home after work
Geraldo

Jamaica, NY

#6 Jan 18, 2010
What are talking about. Daughter, sister, wife of a CO and all these frustrations you getting about these negatives publicities fo co's? IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS
Geraldo

Jamaica, NY

#7 Jan 18, 2010
Michael Rocco. What are you talking about the NYC is the in between of a co and a cop?????????? The commend wasn't about where a court officer stands in law enforcement rather about the possitives and negatives and respect and so forth. Get your info staight fam.
Geraldo

Jamaica, NY

#8 Jan 18, 2010
Mr Bonilla. Who are these poeple whom you are reffering to that should respect the COs? The media? Because if it is the media you and everyone else that is looking for the same thing can forget about it. If not then who.
"PEOPLE". Write names, agencies, products anything that would specify whom you are talking about. Good luck with that
okkk2u

Long Island City, NY

#10 Jun 1, 2010
get a lif ! for those of you are talking sh1t about CO .Peace out !
smoothb

Brooklyn, NY

#12 Jul 26, 2010
i am a nys correction officer and u have to be a special type of person to do this job we are behind the walls dealing with the people society dont want to deal with or cant deal with so respect what we do thats all we ask
COMMON SENSE

Mastic, NY

#13 Jul 27, 2010
smoothb wrote:
i am a nys correction officer and u have to be a special type of person to do this job we are behind the walls dealing with the people society dont want to deal with or cant deal with so respect what we do thats all we ask
You've got my respect. While by I have no idea what this job entails, I always felt you men/woman who do it should be commended for just having the nerve to do it.Can you imagine what our country would be like if we did not have people who would not dare work in this system. You would have your murderous, child molesters, and rapist running rampant. You guys continue to be safe and thank you!
Concerned Officer

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Aug 13, 2010
We dont dont get the reconition that we so deserve i think it should brought to the attention of the mayor as well as our commissioner what type of job that we do maybe they should spend the day in the Bing or high classification house for the day and maybe their perspective will change, i also believe we deserve more perks as well, such as public transportation should be made available on and off duty all buses and subway systems
Lockudown

Newburgh, NY

#15 Feb 12, 2011
I am a NYC Corrections Officer and I can tell you that ignorance is alive and well when it comes to Police Officers and media outlets in reference to Correction Officers. I've worked hand in hand with court officers, orange county shreiffs, nassau county shreiffs, parole officers, probation officers, throopers, us marshals, etc and I can tell you the one agency which gives us the most problems is the NYPD. It's ignorance nothing more they feel that their the number one law enforcement agency in NYC. If you ask many of their members if we are law enforcement they will reply "no." The two premier departments in the world in the greatest city in the world, do not get along. This is breed into their members right from academy they are instructed to work with correction but also taught that they are there superiors, also they feel we are preps with a badge. They have no idea of the work ethic that a correction officer deals with, when you work in an housing area with the scum of the streets for 8 to 16 hours a day it will influence your life. Now I'm not stating your going to do time, no your language might take a hit, you willl learn to speak and act like them when your around them for so long. Now when PD stops a CO who just worked a mandatory 16 hour shift and is trying to get home, they will encounter a officer which is tired and frustrated because he/she might get some type of ignorance from the approaching officer. This is the most improtant time the encounter of the two departments at a car stop, this is where officers must learn to control their actions and I mean both departments. Yet if the CO states "I'm on the job" you chances of he reply " your not on my job" are high, then the CO will feel disrespected and will reply in an angry housing area remark, problem. This is the type of encounter that happens everyday and ignorance is the key factor to the wedge between the departments. There mut come a time when both departments must merge or correction receives police status the holy grail to PD, if we received this change it will transform corrections to law enforcement status in the eyes of the NYPD. It's sad almost every other PD and Correction Departments work hand and hand or are merged, not in NYC though and they are consider the elite departments, go figure. Media - have no clue to the job we do, they get there so call facts which are from former inmates (liars) and from movies & tv shows. They love to call us guards and love to demeanor our department and members when ever they get a chance. I've learn not to listen to their retoric because every time they print false accounts to anything pertaining to corrections we laugh and come to realize they only want to sell papers and you can't do that telling the truth.
idiotsand Morons

New York, NY

#16 Feb 12, 2011
Pass either 3rd grade exam the corrections or NYPD and you get the job. I am still suprised how many idiots cannot pass this 3rd grade exam to get a NYC NYPD or NYCO job.

Either way they are both moron jobs for morons.
Lockudown

Newburgh, NY

#17 Feb 12, 2011
Idiot -which from your choice of words is justly approved by me to describe your level of intellect. Both departments require 60 college credits to become either a NYPD or NYCD. Now I don't approve of the credits because all you need for these jobs is COMMON SENSE. your can have all the degrees,MBAs, etc but not have any common sense what so ever. So your statement is idiotic and has no common sense.
The real job

Huntington Station, NY

#18 Feb 19, 2011
Don't say you're on the job when you're not and you might not have such a problem when you get pulled over for whatever law you broke.
X-NYPD

New York, NY

#19 Feb 20, 2011
Pass either 3rd grade exam the corrections or NYPD and you get the job. I am still suprised how many idiots cannot pass this 3rd grade exam to get a NYC NYPD or NYCO job.

Then they give you 40 college credits if you finish the acadamy, and you only need 20 more mail order college credits to get the job and you have 2 years to get the credits.

Come on Guys

North Babylon, NY

#20 Feb 20, 2011
X-NYPD wrote:
Then they give you 40 college credits if you finish the acadamy, and you only need 20 more mail order college credits to get the job and you have 2 years to get the credits.
Like any other job you have your morons. You have those folks who just will not do right no matter what job they do. I don't think we need to bash any of the law enforcement because if I am in a bad situation, I am gonna be one happy lady to see any law enforcement person that may come along to help me out of that situation. Now I do realize that some people feel the way they feel about cops or correction officers because they may have encountered some with bad attitudes but that does not hold true for all.
Dunkin Donuts

New York, NY

#21 Feb 20, 2011
98% of Cops never shoot there gun on duty. Now they are all Gun happy pulling there guns out for a traffic stop with old ladys.

Lets be honest: most cops play hide and seek during there shifts. Nassau cops hide in the firehouses run by volleys, then go hit 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts for free cofee and donuts.

Nypd guys hide in building and there girlfriends houses who they cheat of wifes with.

This cop job if for the low educated
Come on guys

North Babylon, NY

#22 Feb 20, 2011
Dunkin Donuts wrote:
98% of Cops never shoot there gun on duty. Now they are all Gun happy pulling there guns out for a traffic stop with old ladys.
Lets be honest: most cops play hide and seek during there shifts. Nassau cops hide in the firehouses run by volleys, then go hit 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts for free cofee and donuts.
Nypd guys hide in building and there girlfriends houses who they cheat of wifes with.
This cop job if for the low educated
Most people play hide and seek during their hours of employment. As for those who cheat on their wives, you have a lot of people who cheat and they are not cops. As far as the educated piece goes; a lot of law enforcement jobs now require more than a high school diploma.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenlawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Complaints against CPS, Supervising Judge David... (Dec '09) 15 hr Scotty 54
Levittown Orthodontist Secures Patent for Devic... Tue Gerald Vonberger 1
Looking for female american bulldog to breed with! (Jan '12) Dec 12 letelier 15
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Dec 11 Sambee 2,042
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) Dec 10 Peter 1,360
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Dec 10 Bruser 2,362
6 arrested after trio caught carrying safe in D... (May '09) Dec 9 StepPredator 31

Greenlawn News Video

Greenlawn Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greenlawn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greenlawn News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenlawn

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:27 pm PST