History Of Underground Railroad In Chillicothe

Jan 21, 2013 Read more: WBEX-AM Chillicothe 16

Chillicothe has a rich history when it comes to the Underground Railroad. Men and women would come to places like Chillicothe, Greenfield, or South Salem and Frankfort when slave catchers were out looking for them because they knew that places like these were safe havens for runaway slaves.

Read more
Hassan

Europe

#1 Jan 28, 2013
My grandfather remembers as well as slave catchers there was also Gypsy catchers which my granfather was he caught many hiding out in Greenfield sadly not all of them and many of their descendents still live there today.
Hrm

La Vergne, TN

#2 Jan 28, 2013
Gypsies from where?
tom

United States

#3 Jan 28, 2013
I always wanted to ride on a train
Tony

Athens, OH

#4 Jan 28, 2013
The history of the railroad is very interesting. Even if you don't like to read, the places named in the history, familiar areas of town and the references to so many different things that you might be fimiliar with could make it very interesting for you to read. You can go the library and read some of it. Things written on the internet don't give the meaning to what was really at the heart of the matter concerning Chillicothe.

I'm not interested in history at all. Never was. Then someone told me the same things I'm talking about here so I thought I'd check it out. It was INTERESTING. After that I read a book about the mafia in this area, Kentucky and some other places close to this area. It gave known family sir names those people still have family around. Wish I could remember the name of the book. Ask the librarian to help you find some of these great books.
Willy

Chillicothe, OH

#5 Jan 28, 2013
Hrm wrote:
Gypsies from where?
Gypsy as in free lancer or independent. Most Gypsy slave catchers did it for the reward money that many run away slaves had on their heads.
worried with reason

Lancaster, OH

#6 Jan 28, 2013
History CAN be very interesting. For example, although Chillicothe was an important stop on the Underground, we have one city school named for a pro-slavery governor (Allen) and another named after a Confederate soldier (Mordica Hopewell). Ironic, huh?
Tracey

Europe

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Hrm wrote:
Gypsies from where?
Romania I guess
MaryBeth Collins

London, UK

#8 Nov 18, 2013
Willy wrote:
<quoted text>Gypsy as in free lancer or independent. Most Gypsy slave catchers did it for the reward money that many run away slaves had on their heads.
My Grandpa did it for Meth
Allen Butcher

London, UK

#9 Nov 18, 2013
worried with reason wrote:
History CAN be very interesting. For example, although Chillicothe was an important stop on the Underground, we have one city school named for a pro-slavery governor (Allen) and another named after a Confederate soldier (Mordica Hopewell). Ironic, huh?
I think i was named after the Governor
Justin

London, UK

#10 Nov 18, 2013
Allen Butcher wrote:
<quoted text>
I think i was named after the Governor
No Dude you were named after a Transvestite your
Daddy used to date
La Cosa Nostra

United States

#11 Nov 18, 2013
What do you know about the Mafia in Chillicothe?

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#12 Nov 18, 2013
Beware of the Amish mafia from Holmes county,they deal in stolen black buggys, horses, petticoats all colors, straw hats, yoder link sausage ,Miller swiss cheese, whole milk and meigs county gold. You can smell them a mile away-horse shi t on there boots.
hoover

France

#13 Nov 19, 2013
La Cosa Nostra wrote:
What do you know about the Mafia in Chillicothe?
closet homosexuals all batty boys together
English Dave

France

#14 Nov 19, 2013
who built the railway was it he paddies or the wops or chinks
Allen Butcher

UK

#15 Nov 19, 2013
What about the Greenfield Orphans
What happend in shawnee forest on the killing night of blood ?
grlz4grlz

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Nov 24, 2013
Not even playin around, chelzi mick hands down ! That girl is fine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ellen - Dwight 1 hr you know 27
Mandi Mootispaw 3 hr Jeffery Cropper 2
Is Shasta Posting as Tazzie ? 3 hr Chillicothe Chick 31
Mootispaw 9 hr mandi 66
has anyone heard about Brad Oiler doing the har... 10 hr knows for sure 20
wes coonrod jr 12 hr just askn 47
This Site 15 hr Rod 16
More from around the web

Greenfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE