United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Judged:

steve burns is the most famous in greeneville.*hes the number one sheriff in the state.keep it up steve
wow

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Another Old Timer wrote:
Berthel Eugene "Ham" Hamlin.
Dug up an old thread. Does anyone remember anything about this man?
I'm pretty sure I gave him a ride once back years ago, he told me some crazy stories I assumed were fiction.

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
They were home schooled. Never attended any public schools here.
To be home schooled, don't they still have to be registered at "a school"? I had a friend that home schooled her child by following the Towering Oaks Christian School guidelines.... She had to turn in test scores and had criteria she had to meet to be in compliance with the state and federal laws...? Idk. I think maybe if they were home schooled, they were registered through Greeneville High. I could be wrong, but I think this is how it works.?
Hmm

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

GApeach-TNflower wrote:
<quoted text>
To be home schooled, don't they still have to be registered at "a school"? I had a friend that home schooled her child by following the Towering Oaks Christian School guidelines.... She had to turn in test scores and had criteria she had to meet to be in compliance with the state and federal laws...? Idk. I think maybe if they were home schooled, they were registered through Greeneville High. I could be wrong, but I think this is how it works.?
Seems like I heard they may have went to the private school next to Takoma hospital. Maybe they were just registered there?
Remembering

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure I gave him a ride once back years ago, he told me some crazy stories I assumed were fiction.
Ham used to spend days downtown around Main Street and Depot Street, near the Courthouse, Brumley Hotel, Doughty Stevens Furniture, Transit Grill area. I think he was in the Navy during WW2 and lost several shipmates. I would say that his tales were probably true.

He was run over and killed in front of the American Legion baseball field on Summer Street below the County School offices. He was known to drink to excess, but was very intelligent and knew more about baseball than about anyone you could find.

He had a brother from Florida who came into town briefly for his funeral, driving a white Cadillac. Friends from downtown took up money to bury him. His brother did not help as far as I know.

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems like I heard they may have went to the private school next to Takoma hospital. Maybe they were just registered there?
That is very possible. I am sure that if anyone truly wanted to know, there should be a record of what school(s) they attended, or one could ask Dr. Perry if they see him and think of it. Lol
Lmao

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

theman wrote:
steve burns is the most famous in greeneville.*hes the number one sheriff in the state.keep it up steve
Doesn't look like he's doing a very good job now with all these thefts going on.
smh

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

hazardous driver wrote:
<quoted text>
Kimberly Perry's Face Book page says that she graduated from South Greene High School.
nope they moved here in 2002 kimberly is 30 yrs old one of the boys is 25 and the other is 23 do the math
smh

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Not the real kim perry wrote:
The Kimberly Perry on facebook is not the "real" Kimberly Perry. KP posted on TBP' fb page that the only 100% profile of any of the Perry's, is The Band Perry's fan page. They went to GHS & were in attendance at a few games this past year. They did not go to SG.
nope also wrong kimberly didn't go to school here period and one or both boys did go to south greene
wow

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Remembering wrote:
<quoted text>Ham used to spend days downtown around Main Street and Depot Street, near the Courthouse, Brumley Hotel, Doughty Stevens Furniture, Transit Grill area. I think he was in the Navy during WW2 and lost several shipmates. I would say that his tales were probably true.
He was run over and killed in front of the American Legion baseball field on Summer Street below the County School offices. He was known to drink to excess, but was very intelligent and knew more about baseball than about anyone you could find.
He had a brother from Florida who came into town briefly for his funeral, driving a white Cadillac. Friends from downtown took up money to bury him. His brother did not help as far as I know.
Thanks!

I remember him talking about some very bad stuff he went through during WW2...like floating adrift for days before being rescued?
He was an interesting man to listen to but honestly he rattled on constantly and I was glad to get rid of him at the time, while feeling sorry for him too.

Do you know where he is buried? I'm guessing Monument Hill?
numb nuts

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Number One Fan wrote:
<quoted text>Park is known nationwide as a successful actress and environmentalist. Andrew Johnson was born in Raleigh, N.C, whereas Park is a Greeneville native. Andrew Johnson never went to school, and has a stigma for being impeached. Gimme a break. Park, all the way. Well educated, socially responsible, and a household name for creative film work.
A smartass loudmouth drunk like her don't count.
Blondie53

Taylors, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Ham was what people called 'shell shocked' from the war.He was a good man with problems.
Jim

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

He did eat another man, well part of him.
was a fan

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

I was a fan of parks until I read the post she's so full of her self and so insecure she had to write all of that I'm friends with her in face books that's how she types. She totally lost a fan. I look up to women not do full of thereself..
Remembering

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

wow wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
I remember him talking about some very bad stuff he went through during WW2...like floating adrift for days before being rescued?
He was an interesting man to listen to but honestly he rattled on constantly and I was glad to get rid of him at the time, while feeling sorry for him too.
Do you know where he is buried? I'm guessing Monument Hill?
I talked to someone with more information, and he told me that Ham is buried at Monument Hill. He said that the brother from Florida was wearing white shoes, white pants, and a salmon pink blazer when he rolled up in his white Cadillac for the funeral, and didn't offer to help with funeral expenses.

My source, who is a Navy veteran, told me that Ham was stationed on the U.S.S. Indianapolis which suffered the worst disaster in U.S. Naval history. The ship was torpedoed by the Japanese on July 30, 1945 and sank in 12 minutes. Approximately 300 of the 1,196 man crew went down with the ship. Of the 900 left in the shark infested waters , only 316 were alive when they were found 4 days later. They had no food or water. Whether or not Ham ate the flesh of a shipmate or hallucinated that he did will never be known. He was affected deeply by the experience. Our war veterans deserve all the help that they can get.
Google the U.S.S. Indianapolis and read the horriffic story.
Article

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Remembering wrote:
<quoted text>Ham used to spend days downtown around Main Street and Depot Street, near the Courthouse, Brumley Hotel, Doughty Stevens Furniture, Transit Grill area. I think he was in the Navy during WW2 and lost several shipmates. I would say that his tales were probably true.
The Greeneville Sun published at least one article about Ham. I don't know the date of the article, but it was several years ago. Some time ago I remember seeing the paper with the article for sale in a local antique store. I am sure that with a little time investment that the article could be located in the library.

Since: Jan 11

Greeneville TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Remembering wrote:
<quoted text>I talked to someone with more information, and he told me that Ham is buried at Monument Hill. He said that the brother from Florida was wearing white shoes, white pants, and a salmon pink blazer when he rolled up in his white Cadillac for the funeral, and didn't offer to help with funeral expenses.
My source, who is a Navy veteran, told me that Ham was stationed on the U.S.S. Indianapolis which suffered the worst disaster in U.S. Naval history. The ship was torpedoed by the Japanese on July 30, 1945 and sank in 12 minutes. Approximately 300 of the 1,196 man crew went down with the ship. Of the 900 left in the shark infested waters , only 316 were alive when they were found 4 days later. They had no food or water. Whether or not Ham ate the flesh of a shipmate or hallucinated that he did will never be known. He was affected deeply by the experience. Our war veterans deserve all the help that they can get.
Google the U.S.S. Indianapolis and read the horriffic story.
It is a horrific and fascinating story. However, "Ham" Hamlin, who I'm sure saw things in the war that none of us ever want to see, and may or may not have served on the ship at some point, was not among the last crew list of the U.S.S. Indianapolis. http://www.ussindianapolis.org/crew.htm
Remembering

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

MystDefy wrote:
<quoted text>It is a horrific and fascinating story. However, "Ham" Hamlin, who I'm sure saw things in the war that none of us ever want to see, and may or may not have served on the ship at some point, was not among the last crew list of the U.S.S. Indianapolis. http://www.ussindianapolis.org/crew.htm
I have since been corrected by my old Navy source. Ham was on a ship that was shot out from under him, but not the Indianapolis. Ham's story was similar to what happened to the Indianapolis, but a different ship apparently. He can't remember the name. My friend is old and his memory is getting sketchy. He is a WW2 vet.
wow

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks again for the info. Maybe I'll find his grave up there someday...my father is buried there too. He was a WW2 Vet also.

Since: Jan 11

Greeneville TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2013

Judged:

God bless all old soldiers. They lived through things most of us can't even.imagine. People see a worn down old person, but if you look close enough you can catch glimpses of a proud, strong young man who did what he needed to do and did so with honor and courage. We're rapidly losing these heroes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 min WOW 9,265
county commission took easy way out 4 min voted 35
Robbie Britton gettin fatter and fatter 9 min Lynnette 14
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 15 min Mississippi gurl 144,722
need a fix 32 min paul 1
Does ur man die his hare? 51 min Dr Wu 9
Alan Broyles My Hero 1 hr Hypocrite 11
Who got beat up at the Gr Co Fair Sat Night??? 10 hr free admission 22

Search the Greeneville Forum:
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Greeneville Jobs