Famous People from Greeneville and Greene County

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Who

Antioch, TN

#1 Jul 25, 2011
Let's name some of the people who became famous that lived in Greeneville and Greene County. I think that naming some of those people will be interesting can help us learn more about the area. We will probably hear of famous people that most Greene Countains had never known about.

I will start by naming Andrew Johnson who as President was arguably the most famous person to have ever lived in Greene County.
Number One Fan

Knoxville, TN

#2 Jul 25, 2011
How about the one who has been seen by more people than anyone ever from Greeneville.....our number one citizen, Park Overall. She's the best and most famous, by far. Maybe Andrew Johnson and Davy Crockett are in the history books, but they weren't seen by as many people as our dear Park.
sunshine

Johnson City, TN

#3 Jul 25, 2011
Scott M. Niswonger, although he is from Phio, he makes his home here and is quite famous in the region. Just google his name and see for yourself. He is one of the richest men in America.
sunshine

Johnson City, TN

#4 Jul 25, 2011
*Ohio
Perry

Antioch, TN

#5 Jul 25, 2011
The Band Perry is pretty popular in the music business.
Bum Fuzzeled

Knoxville, TN

#6 Jul 25, 2011
Who wrote:
Let's name some of the people who became famous that lived in Greeneville and Greene County. I think that naming some of those people will be interesting can help us learn more about the area. We will probably hear of famous people that most Greene Countains had never known about.
I will start by naming Andrew Johnson who as President was arguably the most famous person to have ever lived in Greene County.
How do you figure? The US population was only 35.2 million in 1865.
In 1998 which was Park`s prime, it was 270.2 million. Theaters, Cable TV,and the Internet must have pushed Park in many more homes. AJ only had one four year term, while Park is still going since 1988. Thats already 23 years of exposure. Park is much more FAMOUS!
emilia

Elizabethton, TN

#7 Jul 25, 2011
Dale Alexander..I remember seeing a photo of him in the Big Leagues with Babe Ruth.
Who

Antioch, TN

#8 Jul 25, 2011
Bum Fuzzeled wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you figure? The US population was only 35.2 million in 1865.
In 1998 which was Park`s prime, it was 270.2 million. Theaters, Cable TV,and the Internet must have pushed Park in many more homes. AJ only had one four year term, while Park is still going since 1988. Thats already 23 years of exposure. Park is much more FAMOUS!
I ss your point. I was thinking more in terms of name recognition. I figure that the two most recognized names with Greene County connections were Davy Crockett and Andrew Johnson.
Who

Antioch, TN

#9 Jul 25, 2011
Make that "I see your point".
Who

Antioch, TN

#10 Jul 25, 2011
emilia wrote:
Dale Alexander..I remember seeing a photo of him in the Big Leagues with Babe Ruth.
Great post. I had not thought about Dale Alexander. He was a great athlete who led the American League in batting one year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Alexander

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#11 Jul 25, 2011
Rodney Atkins a country singer was born in Knoxville but grew up here in Greeneville at Holston Homes. He comes back here every couple of years and does a concert at Holston and is a contributor to the Home.
Uptown Girl

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jul 25, 2011
Rozetta Mowery is a published author, she also grew up at Holston Home.
UmmReally

Tampa, FL

#13 Jul 25, 2011
Mosheim Country Girl wrote:
Rodney Atkins a country singer was born in Knoxville but grew up here in Greeneville at Holston Homes. He comes back here every couple of years and does a concert at Holston and is a contributor to the Home.
WOW!! Didn't know that! I bet alot of people don't!!
Number One Fan

Knoxville, TN

#14 Jul 25, 2011
Who wrote:
<quoted text>Great post. I had not thought about Dale Alexander. He was a great athlete who led the American League in batting one year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dale_Alexander
Great. A freakin' baseball player don't hold a candle to a famous movie actress like Park.
Football Star

Knoxville, TN

#15 Jul 25, 2011
I nominate Dustin Moore as a famous Greenevillian. All the little kids should look up to him for his accomplishments both on and off the field.
hmmm

Brentwood, TN

#16 Jul 25, 2011
Hey Park, you tell them, I'm your # 2 fan!!!
Smart

Johnson City, TN

#17 Jul 25, 2011
The Band Perry is not from Greeneville. Where do they live? Where in Greeneville have they lived and for how long?

Since: Jan 11

Greeneville TN

#18 Jul 25, 2011
Wikipedia recognizes the following (go figure):

Rodney Adkins
David Barton
James Sevier Conway
Davy Crockett
William Crutchfield
Samuel Doak
Andrew Johnson
Eliza McCardle Johnson
Elbert L. Kinser
Park Overall
Augustus Herman Pettibone
Rance Pless
Oliver Perry Temple
Rufus King Waddle
Calvin John Ward
Eddie Yokley
Yessum

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jul 25, 2011
W.T.Daniels
cdhscheerleader

Salisbury, NC

#20 Jul 25, 2011
Smart wrote:
The Band Perry is not from Greeneville. Where do they live? Where in Greeneville have they lived and for how long?
Umm yes they r they say it at eery concert dumbass they live up next to the 4h club in the big white house on the hill their dad is a doctor here ad they go fishing all the time in paint creek!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Foreign Objects 21 min Trunketeer 14
What is your favorite poem? 23 min Trunketeer 101
Does any one know anything bout the poor baby t... 41 min Poor child 6
What is your favorite sculpture? 1 hr Dr Wu 4
***** last post wins ***** 1 hr Kohlrabi 539
Hang 7 1 hr Dr Wu 12
DTR Cheating Spouses 1 hr Kohlrabi 9
13 month old and two month old "unresponsive" a... 2 hr English Bob 13
your first love 2 hr outtabelton 132
Aggravated Statutory Rape in Greene County 15 hr Ignorance 93