First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Apr 11

United States

#61 May 16, 2011
and i say that due to experience from working for them.
little old hippie

United States

#62 May 16, 2011
Worker in crisis and others who are making these stupid comments most certianly do not live in the destroyed area, my best friend does and told me they would had nothing without the help of the red cross!!!!! Some people are control freaks who can not stand it if they are not praised and told they are the best!! Heip how u want and keep your opinions of others to yourself!! Thank u RED CROSS keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!
hmm

United States

#63 May 16, 2011
little old hippie wrote:
Worker in crisis and others who are making these stupid comments most certianly do not live in the destroyed area, my best friend does and told me they would had nothing without the help of the red cross!!!!! Some people are control freaks who can not stand it if they are not praised and told they are the best!! Heip how u want and keep your opinions of others to yourself!! Thank u RED CROSS keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad your friend was helped by the Red Cross. Unfortunately there were several people that did not get help from them for some time. I do live in the disaster area, I was just fortunate enough not to suffer anything but some very minor property damage. So you are incorrect when you say that everyone who has expressed concern do not live in the area. You are basing your opinion off the experience of one person that you know. I base mine on what I witnessed happening to several families. Like it or not, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to stay on top of this subject to try and ensure the people who are supposed to get those donated monies actually get it as the people doing the donating actually intended. That's nothing but right since the Red Cross raised such a red flag with some of their actions in the initial days. I feel we owe to these families and the people who thought they were giving their money to really help these people by giving to a group who was the first in the disaster area helping everyone. Sorry if that offends you and I figure you aren't the only one who will be pissed off about it but that is life. Had your friend not received help from them, I'm sure you would have a very different opinion so please put yourself in the rest of our shoes.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#64 May 16, 2011
hmm wrote:
<quoted text>I'm glad your friend was helped by the Red Cross. Unfortunately there were several people that did not get help from them for some time. I do live in the disaster area, I was just fortunate enough not to suffer anything but some very minor property damage. So you are incorrect when you say that everyone who has expressed concern do not live in the area. You are basing your opinion off the experience of one person that you know. I base mine on what I witnessed happening to several families. Like it or not, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to stay on top of this subject to try and ensure the people who are supposed to get those donated monies actually get it as the people doing the donating actually intended. That's nothing but right since the Red Cross raised such a red flag with some of their actions in the initial days. I feel we owe to these families and the people who thought they were giving their money to really help these people by giving to a group who was the first in the disaster area helping everyone. Sorry if that offends you and I figure you aren't the only one who will be pissed off about it but that is life. Had your friend not received help from them, I'm sure you would have a very different opinion so please put yourself in the rest of our shoes.
Are you aware there are exclusive donation sites for money also to help the victims in Greene County alone? We aren't knocking Red Cross, but trying to keep our money in our County. Look for Greene County Disaster Fund and Operation We Care...more are setting up at Iris Festival this weekend. And they are selling wristbands for Greene County at the Greene County Partnership.
little old hippie

United States

#65 May 16, 2011
If u are talking about getting money from red cross that's not what they do. They do not just give out money but use it for what u need!! Food, shelter, supplies, they will pay for what u need but I don't think they go around giving out money, sorry!! As others have said there other places to get cash donations!! I am so sorry for ur and others loss, have been there, but u must no there are unnfornately people in this terriblle time are still going to abuse help!
hmm

United States

#66 May 16, 2011
little old hippie wrote:
If u are talking about getting money from red cross that's not what they do. They do not just give out money but use it for what u need!! Food, shelter, supplies, they will pay for what u need but I don't think they go around giving out money, sorry!! As others have said there other places to get cash donations!! I am so sorry for ur and others loss, have been there, but u must no there are unnfornately people in this terriblle time are still going to abuse help!
Yes people will abuse the system anytime there is a tragedy like this and that will happen anywhere. It's unfortunate but it goes along with a disaster of this magnitude.
I didn't say the Red Cross went around handing out money. However, they have spun this as if you can donate and make sure the money goes directly to this relief effort and stays here for our people affected by this. They have raised hundreds of thousands that is supposed to stay in this county and be spent on this disaster. Do you think they are going to spend all that money on these people via their food and supply delivery? Food and supplies, as someone else correctly pointed out, that the majority of which were donated by other entities as well. I know they have overhead but come on, it hasn't cost them what they have taken in under the guise that it will go to these people. Sorry but that is a scam no matter how you slice it, unless they spend the money on these people as they said they would. There are groups that could use that money that the Red Cross hogs up and yes, I said hogs up because that is exactly what they do by making the public perceive they are the only ones capable of caring for survivors of a disaster. Well based on what I had dealings with, they aren't so capable. Other groups that weren't really set up for this sort of thing had to rise to the occasion when the Red Cross failed to act for whatever their reason was. I can imagine those people would've loved to have some of those funds instead of using their own and can also bet the people would've had every dime of the money spent on them one way or the other if those groups led donors to believe.
hmm

United States

#67 May 16, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware there are exclusive donation sites for money also to help the victims in Greene County alone? We aren't knocking Red Cross, but trying to keep our money in our County. Look for Greene County Disaster Fund and Operation We Care...more are setting up at Iris Festival this weekend. And they are selling wristbands for Greene County at the Greene County Partnership.
Yes, I am aware but most people are not. They believed they were donating to our people when they went to these fund raisers, gave to telethons and etc because thats what they were led to believe. Thank you for the volunteer work that you have done/ are still doing . It is highly appreciated and I'm glad we are having this discussion so at least people will know there are places where they can give and the money really will go where they think its going.
Worker

Franklin, TN

#68 May 18, 2011
Let me say a few things about all this crap thats being said.when this all started some people may have got missed but not on purpose by no means. There was alot of problems going on everywhere out there in all area's not just one place.When a day went by then it was announced by the S.O. and EMA AND RED CROSS That if you neede anything and you had been mossed with food or any need to let them know and they would do everything they could to get to you as fast as possible and I know for a fact that if such a notice came in it was addressed right away by whichever agency it was to.All of you on here need to wait and see the facts of how much money these opperations cost to help people in such a disaster as the one that happened here.I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT FEEDING ALONE JUST BY REDCROSS COST OVER 100,000.00 DOLLARS NOT TO MENTION ALL THE NACKS ALSO ALL THE FOOD THAT WAS GAVE OUT BY THE OAKS THAT PEOPLE DONATED AND PAID FOR TO DELIVER.How about all the fuel that was used over the whole time by police fire ems redcross volunteers for the oaks rescue squad.all these agencys had to put this money out before they get any assistance from the government.All of the things that was gave out to all the people that could be found to give stuff to.I just dont understand how all the people on here can stand back and judge all of these agencys for the help they tried there best to give when most of the people are all volunteers and don't get paid a dime what all they done.FEMA told the redcross not to give out money instead give bulk items or they would have to take some of the funds they where going to give away from these people that signed up for help.Maybe you need to check into all this alittle more before you start bashing agencys OK IM OUT.No I dont understand why fema would take money away because red cross wanted to give a little money to eace affected but thats what fema said so there you go feed on that for a bit.
Patricia

Littleton, CO

#69 Aug 11, 2011
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DISSING THE RED CROSS.
I have been a volunteer with Your American Red Cross for 8 years. YOUR INFORMATION IS SO WRONG. The Red Cross does not accept individual donations of clothing because receipt of such items can actually HAMPER relief efforts. The financial and personnel cost of receiving, sorting, transporting goods and ensuring the quality and cleanliness of items donated by individual households is very high. We traditionally partner with other charity organizations who are better suited to that task ie/Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.
We also have SPONTANEOUS VOLUNTEER guidelines so that those who wish to help can do so, but it must be limited to certain tasks as all of our volunteers have been trained and have background checks to keep our clients safe. If someone is willing to help by transporting goods, helping us set up cots, etc,we very much appreciate the help those generous folks can give us. But too many spontaneous volunteers can also hamper our ORGANIZED efforts.
As far as your donations go, here is a link that can explain how much things cost in a disaster. http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/p...
Can you imagine the enormous costs of a disaster relief operation? Just getting the volunteers TO the disaster area, gas for our fleet vehicles, maintenance, etc...How much it costs to feed those affected and, yes..we must also feed our volunteers.(we need food, too) We've given out food, shovels, cleaning kits, comfort kits, etc.
CHECK OUT THIS LINK TO BBB
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/h... which shows that for each dollar donated to Your American Red Cross, 90% GOES TO THE PROGRAMS which include disaster relief, Service to Armed Forces, Preparedness programs and classes and tons of other things. 4% is fund-raising and only 6% is administrative. Red Cross Chapters have been making staffing cuts as well, so that the drop in donations doesn't effect our programs. Our paid staff is not sitting somewhere in luxury suites taking huge salaries on your dollar. Our HQs are not "big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow." Don't talk about what you don't know.
Trained Volunteers make up a great portion of the management team within the organization. These are professional, educated people who WORK FOR FREE. Volunteers all WORK FOR FREE. We train hard and strategically plan so that when disaster strikes, we can effectively help. We are ready to leave our families to deploy on 12 hours notice. We have health and mental health professionals who donate their time, as well as volunteer law enforcement folks to keep your shelter safe. We have food service professional volunteers so your food is safe. I am a Shelter Specialist, Shelter Manager, Feeding Manager and Government Liaison. I also teach training classes and drive our ERV feeding trucks. I sit on several planning committees. We give up our vacation time. We stay in staff shelters (and sometimes horrible motels) and eat crappy food. We work 12 hour days in the heat and cold. We stock warehouses, deliver food, scrub floors & toilets in shelters, and some of our local volunteers are on 24 hour call on a weekly basis to respond to everything from a house fire to a forest fire. This is not child's play to us, this is a commitment of our time to be well trained and well prepared. WE DO THIS AND DON'T EXPECT ANY CREDIT OR THANKS. We do it because we want to help and make a difference in the world. WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? And to have someone like you criticize the Red Cross is like telling me that my efforts don't matter. Take the time to go to the Red Cross website do your research before you run off your mouth. Heaven forbid you should ever have your home destroyed by floods or tornado. You might sing a different tune. I'll be waiting for an apology and retraction.
Dr_Doneau_Probst

United States

#70 Feb 7, 2012
disgusted wrote:
And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees.
I don't know where you get your information, but 92% of donations go directly to those in need. http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm...
Only 3.9% go to administrative fees. Pull your head out!
Hell fire

Nashville, TN

#72 Feb 7, 2012
I hear they support gays and encourage young women to have sex with rich men so they wont have to be supported by them in the future and I also believe that they are responcible for the gay/ lesbian parade in san fransisco where they had naked men holding each others penis in unison and praying for world peace. I know that alot of there contributions go out to other groups like the gay man child love association and they raise money for gerbel fest out in california, I dont want to get into what they do to those poor gerbels but, it is nasty and dirty with poop just a flying every where
kidding

Salisbury, NC

#73 Feb 8, 2012
No it's not

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#74 Dec 13, 2012
Hate to tell ya'll this but most of the donations to the Red Cross go to pay the outrageous salaries that the staff gets. A very small percentage of your donation goes to disaster relief and if you think you are giving it to the local chapter you are again mislead. It all goes into a big fund to pay for all the perks that the paid staffers are getting. Then they start screaming for more donations. I for one am donated out and tired of these organizations wanting free money from the public. Most of the volunteers are either retired or jobless folks who just are using it as a means of income or a place to crash. Yes, the volunteers also get paid albeit a small amount compared to the paid staff but they still get money for their time. And yes I am a Red Cross volunteer so I do know what I'm talking about.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#80 Dec 14, 2012
If you ever get the chance to evaluate the Red Cross, go to a disaster operation center where all the volunteers go to get assignments on a disaster and look around. You will be disgusted and it will make you reconsider what organization you want to donate to(if you want to donate, that is). I will never again donate a penny to the Red Cross and I would encourage others to not donate as well. Not much of your money is going to victims of disasters, but most of it is going to pay the salaries and perks for this bogus organization.
Suggestion

Greeneville, TN

#82 Dec 26, 2012
The best charity to give money to is the Salvation Army. The CEO's salary is the smallest at about 13K a year, not 1.2M a year like the CEO of the Red Cross. Think about that before you donate to anyone.
Repented

Johnson City, TN

#83 Dec 26, 2012
Patricia wrote:
TO ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DISSING THE RED CROSS.
I have been a volunteer with Your American Red Cross for 8 years. YOUR INFORMATION IS SO WRONG. The Red Cross does not accept individual donations of clothing because receipt of such items can actually HAMPER relief efforts. The financial and personnel cost of receiving, sorting, transporting goods and ensuring the quality and cleanliness of items donated by individual households is very high. We traditionally partner with other charity organizations who are better suited to that task ie/Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.
We also have SPONTANEOUS VOLUNTEER guidelines so that those who wish to help can do so, but it must be limited to certain tasks as all of our volunteers have been trained and have background checks to keep our clients safe. If someone is willing to help by transporting goods, helping us set up cots, etc,we very much appreciate the help those generous folks can give us. But too many spontaneous volunteers can also hamper our ORGANIZED efforts.
As far as your donations go, here is a link that can explain how much things cost in a disaster. http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Documents/p...
Can you imagine the enormous costs of a disaster relief operation? Just getting the volunteers TO the disaster area, gas for our fleet vehicles, maintenance, etc...How much it costs to feed those affected and, yes..we must also feed our volunteers.(we need food, too) We've given out food, shovels, cleaning kits, comfort kits, etc.
CHECK OUT THIS LINK TO BBB
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/h... which shows that for each dollar donated to Your American Red Cross, 90% GOES TO THE PROGRAMS which include disaster relief, Service to Armed Forces, Preparedness programs and classes and tons of other things. 4% is fund-raising and only 6% is administrative. Red Cross Chapters have been making staffing cuts as well, team within the organization. These are professional, educated people who WORK FOR ork This is not child's play to us, this is a commitment of our time to be well trained and well prepared. WE DO THIS AND DON'T EXPECT ANY CREDIT OR THANKS. We do it because we want to help and make a difference in the world. WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? And to have someone like you criticize the Red Cross is like telling me that my efforts don't matter. Take the time to go to the Red Cross website do your research before you run off your mouth. Heaven forbid you should ever have your home destroyed by floods or tornado. You might sing a different tune. I'll be waiting for an apology and retraction.
Ill throw my two cents in. For starters thank you personally for being of good nature and having a true motive for attempting to help. You had me at "volunteer". However, your organization is horrible. I know that you don't believe it, and it's OK that you don't. I know much more.

Here's one thing and you'll probably scoff at this, but it's the absolute truth.

My King told me to put myself onto the bone marrow donor registry. PERIOD !! I had to leave work, drive to Greensboro NC and pay $80 to have my blood taken and get onto the registry. Why does the RED CROSS oversee the bone marrow registry? That was 1998, it's 2012. I've never been called. I've had to check twice to see that I'm even on it anymore. That was very difficult too.

I know of several autrocities committed by the RED CROSS regarding veterans in war zones, etc....but my personal experience is this | My King NEVER does anything without a purpose. He would have NEVER sent me to get on the registry without purpose. They dropped the ball

In closing. Keep doing what you're doing. Christ will not judge you by being a part of the Red Cross, but by what you've tried to do. From the bottom of my heart. THANKS !!
Siberian

Lynnwood, WA

#84 Jun 29, 2013
disgusted wrote:
I'm sure there are some good people in the organization, but these storms have really shown what a joke most are, especially in the camp creek area. I'm sure the people of that community could use clothes and other supplies but red cross has turned objects like this down. I know that they have told people to give money and turned away clothes. Not everyone can fork out cash. This is ridiculous considering some people are homeless without a thing to there name. And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees. This is not a strictly volunteer program. I know four young people who volunteered there time and a truck, but were turned away after twenty minutes because there was "nothing left to do". I've seen the area, and this can't be correct. If you are not in the red cross, they want nothing to do with you. That command post is nothing but big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow. If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
You do not understand the rationale for this. I am a American Red Cross Volunteer. The reason why the American Red Cross only receives cash donations is because the needs in each area vary and when people donate clothing and other goods these often stack up and end up rotting and have to be tossed because the American Red Cross has no storage space. Also, you need to understand that 96 percent of the workforce in the American Red Cross is by volunteers -- and I can assure you that the claims you are making concerning the misuse of funds is not based on fact.

Siberian
Siberian

Lynnwood, WA

#85 Jun 29, 2013
You do not understand the rationale for this. I am a American Red Cross Volunteer. The reason why the American Red Cross only receives cash donations is because the needs in each area vary and when people donate clothing and other goods these often stack up and end up rotting and have to be tossed because the American Red Cross has no storage space. Also, you need to understand that 96 percent of the workforce in the American Red Cross is by volunteers -- and I can assure you that the claims you are making concerning the misuse of funds is not based on fact.

Siberian
Read more at http://www.topix.com/forum/city/greeneville-t...
just saying

Elizabethton, TN

#86 Jun 29, 2013
look how people donated to the holly ricker fund where did it go to,and just look what she is doing now,not even thankful for the ones that did give to the fund,right back to her old self,stealing,lieing doing her drugs and with all different men useing them to get her drugs,why does greene county sheriffs office stick her under the jail instead of giving her a slap on the hand,must be because of the bail bonds man buck that she was married to and got her out of a lot of shit,which is wrong let her be behind bars where she needs to be

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Effects from smoking cigarettes 11 min Independent1 16
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 23 min Jennifer Renee 5,636
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 44 min Reclaim rights 161
***** last post wins ***** 46 min Bree_Z 595
On the 1st day of Christmas 58 min From Jenny xoxo 32
Favorite Classic Music? 2 hr Bree_Z 25
samantha 2 hr hahaha 2
What goes on at Timberfell? (Sep '11) 9 hr Greene Light 277
Principal at Mosheim 14 hr Geeze Louise 79
Is Greene County inbred? Thu Mary Kresmus 37
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:00 pm PST

Bleacher Report 9:00PM
Carolina Panthers vs. Atlanta Falcons: Complete Week 17 Preview for Carolina
Bleacher Report12:06 AM
Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans: Complete Week 17 Preview for Tennessee
Bleacher Report12:22 AM
Atlanta Falcons: Steven Jackson out Opens Up the Offense More
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Colts' Complete Week 17 Preview vs. Titans
NFL 5:53 AM
Steven Jackson reportedly likely out for Falcons