red cross is worthless
Thanks

Madison, TN

#41 May 3, 2011
NotPleased wrote:
I would like to suggest that people (who are leery about donating to the Red Cross) consider donating to the following:
1) Free Will Baptist Ministries in Camp Creek Ė They have been in the thick of things since the very beginning! They have been giving out clothing from the school gym, cooking at the Oaks Resort for the storm victims, delivering food, delivering ice, providing hot showers, etc! My sources who are affected tell me they have checked on them a few times a day, every day!
2) Appalachian Baptist Church Ė Brought in two tractor trailer loads of supplies and made care packages with much needed items and took them to everyone! They also took around grocery store and Lowes gift cards to everyone which was much needed because many who can actually make it to town were running low on cash.
3) UMCOR Ė This is the United Methodist Church and they are giving the storm victims 100% of the donations! The UMC Churches like Asbury and Trinity have done lots of good work by accepting donations like clothing and household items for the storm victims so you can donate to them without being skeptical.
4) Greene County Mennonite Church Ė They have been in there every day cutting up the downed trees, repairing roofs and etc. They need money for fuel to run their equipment! They have been working like crazy and have done an awesome job!
5) Volunteer Fire Departments Ė I hate to list these last because they certainly arenít the least! These are some of our unsung HEROís who were among the first on the scene. They were in clearing the roads and conducting search and rescue when it all first happened! They are still in there working hard by clearing out trees on peopleís homes and etc. Camp Creek VFD is even allowing people to come take hot showers at the fire hall! Any of the VFDís would be a great place to donate because almost all in the county have helped out the disaster area but I really think it would be awesome to donate to one of the VFDís in the storm affected areas because you know the VFDís will be doing what needs done for those communities and they are in it for the long haul!
Please donít withhold money from these communities simply because you are distrustful of one organization. These areas still really need our help and there is still a lot to be done. Iím sure these arenít the only organizations that are in there doing a great job so please donít think I slighted anyone! These are just the ones that I have personally seen in action or have been bragged about by my family and friends who live in the area for being a huge help to them! If anyone has trouble contacting any of these organizations, please post here and I will be glad to post their contact information.
These are some great organizations listed here! Thanks to each and everyone listed here!!
theyare

York, SC

#42 May 3, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Your own words:
<quoted text>
You're a piece of work.
sociopathic personality..........lie ..........then still won't admit it when it is in black and white. Yep, a piece of work indeed.
NotPleased

Abingdon, VA

#43 May 3, 2011
taxpayer wrote:
SO NOW YOU KNOW RED CROSS DIDNT TELL YOU THAT YOU COULDNT VOLUNTEER....SO WHY ARE WE WORTHLESS? YOU SOUND SO EAGER TO HELP YOUR COMMUNITY MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE RED CROSS AS A GOOD VOLUNTEER AGENCY WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE MORE EAGER VOLUNTEERS
My friend, I in no way mean to disrespect you but you do need to step out of this pissing contest because you are wrong! Red Cross did flatly tell people they couldnít volunteer without referring them elsewhere because I witnessed it happen while working at the command center. This happened Thursday through Saturday. I wasnít at the command center on Sunday but when I stopped back in there on Monday, they were referring volunteers to EMA so they could volunteer. I donít know what happened and why there werenít doing that in the beginning but it did happen! Not trying to disrespect you because I know you have a good heart and just want to help people but these people arenít lying.
wow

Gate City, VA

#44 May 3, 2011
NotPleased wrote:
<quoted text>
My friend, I in no way mean to disrespect you but you do need to step out of this pissing contest because you are wrong! Red Cross did flatly tell people they couldnít volunteer without referring them elsewhere because I witnessed it happen while working at the command center. This happened Thursday through Saturday. I wasnít at the command center on Sunday but when I stopped back in there on Monday, they were referring volunteers to EMA so they could volunteer. I donít know what happened and why there werenít doing that in the beginning but it did happen! Not trying to disrespect you because I know you have a good heart and just want to help people but these people arenít lying.
My point exactly. I'm glad I see another voice of reason. They were turning plenty of help away. And not once did I say for people to drop what they were doing in camp creek and go to washington county. What I did say was that if you are turned down in camp creek, they were a little more helpful at the washington county center. And again, I know red cross has done alot, but some things were poorly thought out

“o u wish!”

Since: Mar 11

Nashville, TN

#45 May 3, 2011
YRSOFGIVING wrote:
<quoted text> I have supported RC for many yrs.Ppl have the right to question their response.Where are the trained ppl?I appreciate the local volunteers and things would be much better for everyone helping, if they had leadership.Ppl are willing to help but they need direction.I don't mean one person killing her self and I don't mean crash course training.It's obvious from other post who you are,and your hateful language does much more damage to RC than someone asking a question.GREAT JOB!
i'm glad that you are just like everyone else on topix and think you know who i am. i promise you don't. as for my hateful language, i felt as if it were an appropriate response. you don't have to agree. you, like myself, are entitled to your own opinion. also, i don't work for red cross or have any affiliations with it or any member of it. i think they are doing a fantastic job for the community. they are also providing aid to victims that is not known by the public, because they are funding medical expenses for victims injured during the tornado.
camp creek survivors

Clover, SC

#46 May 4, 2011
My family has cooked over 300 meals out of our own kitchen I sure hope that you all appreciate that but if not we will still try to help everyone out
lil brother

Madison, TN

#47 May 4, 2011
camp creek survivors wrote:
My family has cooked over 300 meals out of our own kitchen I sure hope that you all appreciate that but if not we will still try to help everyone out
Thank you and anyone else who has helped.You are greatly appreciated.
lil brother

Madison, TN

#48 May 9, 2011
Every day I been out there helping with the cleanup,I saw the RED CROSS distributing food & water.Great job.Thank you.

Since: Mar 11

Gallatin, TN

#49 May 10, 2011
insaneclown wrote:
always someone got something to say about whats going on with this mess,whats the answer you say,seem to be the smart one here.maybe you have an answer for world peace.some people just cannot be happy.the red cross feeds people and checks on them making sure they have or get the things that they need.like a shelter for tonight while it is raining.my ole lady joned the red cross just to help.she aint getting paid but she is doing what she can.she sure aint bitchin like you are about how they are doing.I wish you were in charge and see how thing go when there is a mess like this put in your lap.maybe you will see you dont know shit.why not donate to the kkk you dumbass.your kind of thinking I guess you would be able to justify doing it.the red cross helps when they are needed.whos out there now.you.nope they are.
As a resident of Camp Creek, I have to say that the Red Cross has been a lifeline for us. They have brought meals around to all the people who live here, and helped tremendously with the clean up! Thank GOD for them and all the people who have helped. You have no idea how much all the efforts are appreciated!
Glenn Arnold

Cosby, TN

#50 May 10, 2011
disgusted wrote:
I'm sure there are some good people in the organization, but these storms have really shown what a joke most are, especially in the camp creek area. I'm sure the people of that community could use clothes and other supplies but red cross has turned objects like this down. I know that they have told people to give money and turned away clothes. Not everyone can fork out cash. This is ridiculous considering some people are homeless without a thing to there name. And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees. This is not a strictly volunteer program. I know four young people who volunteered there time and a truck, but were turned away after twenty minutes because there was "nothing left to do". I've seen the area, and this can't be correct. If you are not in the red cross, they want nothing to do with you. That command post is nothing but big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow. If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
A friend and I Took a rollback and did volunteer work last week in the Camp Creek area .We had over looked taking drinking water,two red cross workers brought us water and food.Thanks Red Cross.You might feel better if you pitched in and helped instead of complaining,This folks need all the help and Prayes they can get.Just remember it could have been you or I.

Since: Apr 11

Rogersville, TN

#51 May 10, 2011
Red cross is a profit organization. If they can't make money they dont. That simple

United States

#52 May 13, 2011
Red cross is a profit organization. If they can't make money they dont want it.Its just That simple
(sorry dont know what i was thinking when i first wrote that and forgot words lol)
yep

Fort Campbell, TN

#53 May 13, 2011
I cannot believe people would complain about being helped. Geez the Red Cross has done a fantastic job. I for one will say thank you to the Red Cross for all you have done.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#54 May 13, 2011
yep wrote:
I cannot believe people would complain about being helped. Geez the Red Cross has done a fantastic job. I for one will say thank you to the Red Cross for all you have done.
Agree, ppl need to thank anyone who helps and who is thinking of cooking when Red Cross hands you a meal?? I am just thankful Greene County cares for it's own!
Truth

Nashville, TN

#55 May 13, 2011
BoredToDeath1243 wrote:
Red cross is a profit organization. If they can't make money they dont want it.Its just That simple
(sorry dont know what i was thinking when i first wrote that and forgot words lol)
You aree full of it. Red Cross is a NON-PROFIT organization. They do have to use a part of their donations for operating expenses. Also they have paid employees because of the lack of enough suitable volunteers.
hmm

United States

#56 May 13, 2011
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You aree full of it. Red Cross is a NON-PROFIT organization. They do have to use a part of their donations for operating expenses. Also they have paid employees because of the lack of enough suitable volunteers.
Check into how the money goes up to the top before it comes back down. Then there is that suitable volunteers thing again. Lmao. You think they couldn't find someone suitable to head up the Red Cross for less than $600k plus lots of other costly fringe benefits per year? Sure, they have operating expenses but do you think those operating expenses have topped the very large amout they have received specifically for this area? Delivering meals and other items donated by other organizations has not topped the amount they have received, trust me. I appreciate them delivering meals, ice and water but the proof will be in the pudding on what they do with the rest of the funds. We will just have to watch and see what happens and I hope the people the money was meant to help actually receive it.
hmm

United States

#57 May 13, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree, ppl need to thank anyone who helps and who is thinking of cooking when Red Cross hands you a meal?? I am just thankful Greene County cares for it's own!
Yes, I am glad Greene County cares for its own too! Countless people were there doing the job well before the Red Cross could get it's act together in the initial days. Don't take my word on it, check around! I appreciate what they have done but those of us who really know what happened have a right to be unhappy about their response considering the money that has been handed to them by the people and businesses of this county. It makes you wonder if the "best in the disaster" business is really what they are cracked up to be.
so sad

Clover, SC

#58 May 13, 2011
All im going to say is GOD bless the red cross, police, ems, vfd, light and power and all that is down there helping. Without you all them people would be on their own. And all of the people bashing the volunteers and emergency service people how dare you these people are doing everything they can to help these people. I have seen vfd police and ems out there still today helping the red cross and the people of the community. Just the other day I seen a lady from ems going around giving out toys and some of the guys from a vfd cutting trees. If you want to help just go and take the class and shutup about it. Keeping people out is the only way to keep looters out. My parents live out there and they have no complaints they are getting what they need. They are just blessed and thankful that everyone has came together and have helped.
hmm

United States

#59 May 14, 2011
so sad wrote:
All im going to say is GOD bless the red cross, police, ems, vfd, light and power and all that is down there helping. Without you all them people would be on their own. And all of the people bashing the volunteers and emergency service people how dare you these people are doing everything they can to help these people. I have seen vfd police and ems out there still today helping the red cross and the people of the community. Just the other day I seen a lady from ems going around giving out toys and some of the guys from a vfd cutting trees. If you want to help just go and take the class and shutup about it. Keeping people out is the only way to keep looters out. My parents live out there and they have no complaints they are getting what they need. They are just blessed and thankful that everyone has came together and have helped.
I'm sure your parents did get help from them in the initial aftermath. I don't doubt your word. The problem is not everybody did. I'm speaking exclusively about the Red Cross, not anyone else you mentioned. I am not complaining about their required training and don't care about that. I wasn't turned away from volunteering by them because I didn't offer to help them. I might have had I not been too busy delivering food to those they missed, couldn't find or whatever their excuse was. This is a fact whether people want to face it or not.

United States

#60 May 16, 2011
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>You aree full of it. Red Cross is a NON-PROFIT organization. They do have to use a part of their donations for operating expenses. Also they have paid employees because of the lack of enough suitable volunteers.
sorry my bad all i ment to say was if they dont make profit from the donation they dont want it. They may be listed as a non profit organization only due to they dont sell them self's to share holders. So in truth they are a profit organization the flys as a non profit organization. if u really want to get technical about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mary ann morelock 48 min CEC221 4
divorces happening 55 min CEC221 24
Parker Employees 1 hr someone 4
Another sheriff forum gone 2 hr Ya know 32
Sandy Bible - Never ever help her without cash... 2 hr Bugkiller 1
Deshaud Moore 4 hr Bigballer 1
Tommy Tommy 4 hr Nuts 1
Confederate Monuments 5 hr Max Planck 82
Circuit Court Clerk Race 6 hr know her 72
White Power rally in Charlottesville 8 hr Max Planck 159