Comments
21 - 40 of 79 Comments Last updated Jun 29, 2013
taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#21 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it sure is. I didn't encourage anyone to leave there own area, but if they say they can't use you, as in my case, or only want your cash as in many peoples case, this is a place that can and will use your time and effort. As many have said on other threads, this are is turning away loads of people with supplies such as saws wishing to help clean up. Seems to me they shouldn't be turning away anything in this time of need. Thats all I'm saying.
AND FOR YOUR INFO GREENE COUNTY RED CROSS IS FEEDING YOUR PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH CENTRAL AREA ALSO
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#22 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
I'm sure there are some good people in the organization, but these storms have really shown what a joke most are, especially in the camp creek area. I'm sure the people of that community could use clothes and other supplies but red cross has turned objects like this down. I know that they have told people to give money and turned away clothes. Not everyone can fork out cash. This is ridiculous considering some people are homeless without a thing to there name. And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees. This is not a strictly volunteer program. I know four young people who volunteered there time and a truck, but were turned away after twenty minutes because there was "nothing left to do". I've seen the area, and this can't be correct. If you are not in the red cross, they want nothing to do with you. That command post is nothing but big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow. If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
You might want to contact the Emergency Management office. It's being run in an organized fashion and I am one of the Volunteers. We have tons of clothes. These people need bedding, towels, diapers, toilet paper... All the things you use and never donate. We have info on the front page of the Greeneville Sun and take names with what can be donated by everyone and time is included. When you see our booth at the Iris Festival and Gair you might want to sign up and take the training . We don't run in blindly to help. We do it to help the most we can in the fastest way possible. Unfortunately that requires organization. Hope I helped.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#23 May 3, 2011
Enlightened wrote:
Who else in Greene County besides the local Red Cross is giving out 3,000 plus meals a day to the storm victims and the volunteers who are helping with the recovery efforts while you are bashing them and suggesting that Greene Countians volunteer in another county besides their own? It has been publicly announced that all of the monetary donations are going directly to helping the victims of this storm. Maybe they are currently turning down clothes because they have received so many donations that they have run out of storage space while they distribute the items. They likely have legitimate reasons for turning away certain volunteers. Maybe they have liability issues for young people under a certain age.

They are seeking monetary donations to pay for the food and shelter they provide that costs the victims not a single penny. A negative viewpoint is of little or no help to anyone, and good, helpful, positive ideas should be expressed someplace besides topix. Do something positive to effect a change if you are disgusted with the current situation, and please, please learn all the facts before you make such harsh judgments.

Read my reply too. No one asked for money as FEMA is handling that. I agree with you!!!! People are cleaning out their closets but these people need everyday items such as linens, towels, toilet paper, diapers, etc. Things no one donates. Appreciate your input!
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#24 May 3, 2011
really wrote:
To the OP:
If you don't like the way the Red Cross is handling donations, then don't donate to them. There are many local churches and other organizations taking items like clothing and food and the like that you can give to instead.
How dare you tell people in Greene County to NOT give their help to their own neighbors and instead give it to strangers in another county! What the hell is wrong with you?!!
Evidently they have no clue what's really going on. We were just praised for how well we are helping our own. And I am one of those trained volunteers who ran to help. Key word here is trained. They make sure there are no more injuries. Would you know how to handle that leaking gas line????
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#25 May 3, 2011
local wrote:
<quoted text>you dumba** you don'twhat you are talking about. my family had a tragedy a few yrs ago and the red cross was first on the scene to help. i don't care how the money is spread out but i do know that the red cross has been on the scene of this distaster since it happened with what ever they can do to help EVERYBODY that has been effected. what a time for you big mouth idiots to get on here and ditch on anybody that is involved in helping with this mess
When my neighbors house burnt down years ago Red Cross was here in the ice storm with coffee and food behind the fire truck. They were also here behind the tornado feeding people before the tornado left TN. So look before you speak.
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#26 May 3, 2011
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>OK LETS SIMPLIFY THIS WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A LOAD OF FOOD OR A LOAD OF CLOTHES OR SOMEWHERE TO STAY
Once again, aside from the clothes issue, they have made other questionable decisions. Of course they need the immediate needs, but in a few weeks, when it dies down a little I'm sure they would have appreciated there yards already being picked up, and trees already cleaned up, but they won't be, because these kinds of people are being turned away. Eventually all of this will have to be done, and I'm sure the victims would much rather concentrate on other issues such as a place to live instead of picking up tin and trees from there yards. Once again, Red Cross has did some great things but they have made some bad decisions in all of this also. It just takes a disaster like this to show how disorganized a organization really may be. I know its very stressful now and thank you to all volunteers and help, but some things have been poorly managed
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#27 May 3, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidently they have no clue what's really going on. We were just praised for how well we are helping our own. And I am one of those trained volunteers who ran to help. Key word here is trained. They make sure there are no more injuries. Would you know how to handle that leaking gas line????
trained, trained, trained. You peole are acting a little over qualified. I will not say that there are some situations that require trained individuals such as a leaking bas line. But it will not take a genius to pick up debris, clean up yards, ask victims what they need, give food and water and a variety of other tasks. Any average Joe can cut wood and clean up but the red cross is preaching this "trained" issue. Everyone is wanting to help and I'm sure there is a place for everyone that wants to out there considering the conditions that the storm left that place in.
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#28 May 3, 2011
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text> AND FOR YOUR INFO GREENE COUNTY RED CROSS IS FEEDING YOUR PEOPLE IN THE SOUTH CENTRAL AREA ALSO
Well, I'm glad they are. Would you like a reward? Like I stated. I know they mean well, but they have made some bad calls on some things. People do not need to be "red cross trained" to help out with simple tasks. If you have been to the scene, I'm sure you know how much work still needs done.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#29 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>Once again, aside from the clothes issue, they have made other questionable decisions. Of course they need the immediate needs, but in a few weeks, when it dies down a little I'm sure they would have appreciated there yards already being picked up, and trees already cleaned up, but they won't be, because these kinds of people are being turned away. Eventually all of this will have to be done, and I'm sure the victims would much rather concentrate on other issues such as a place to live instead of picking up tin and trees from there yards. Once again, Red Cross has did some great things but they have made some bad decisions in all of this also. It just takes a disaster like this to show how disorganized a organization really may be. I know its very stressful now and thank you to all volunteers and help, but some things have been poorly managed
Feel free to start your own Volunteer organization in the land of the free and home of the brave. You might even want to run for President since we can't seem to get it right in your eyes. You say go to Washington County and then deny saying it. Whatever. Gotta sleep so I can help again for free tomorrow! And no one cooked for us, maybe a Church for their volunteers but we are told to pack back up food and water going into any situation.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#30 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>trained, trained, trained. You peole are acting a little over qualified. I will not say that there are some situations that require trained individuals such as a leaking bas line. But it will not take a genius to pick up debris, clean up yards, ask victims what they need, give food and water and a variety of other tasks. Any average Joe can cut wood and clean up but the red cross is preaching this "trained" issue. Everyone is wanting to help and I'm sure there is a place for everyone that wants to out there considering the conditions that the storm left that place in.
It's called being organized. That's how you stop the looters.
NotPleased

Abingdon, VA

#31 May 3, 2011
I would like to suggest that people (who are leery about donating to the Red Cross) consider donating to the following:

1) Free Will Baptist Ministries in Camp Creek They have been in the thick of things since the very beginning! They have been giving out clothing from the school gym, cooking at the Oaks Resort for the storm victims, delivering food, delivering ice, providing hot showers, etc! My sources who are affected tell me they have checked on them a few times a day, every day!

2) Appalachian Baptist Church Brought in two tractor trailer loads of supplies and made care packages with much needed items and took them to everyone! They also took around grocery store and Lowes gift cards to everyone which was much needed because many who can actually make it to town were running low on cash.

3) UMCOR This is the United Methodist Church and they are giving the storm victims 100% of the donations! The UMC Churches like Asbury and Trinity have done lots of good work by accepting donations like clothing and household items for the storm victims so you can donate to them without being skeptical.

4) Greene County Mennonite Church They have been in there every day cutting up the downed trees, repairing roofs and etc. They need money for fuel to run their equipment! They have been working like crazy and have done an awesome job!

5) Volunteer Fire Departments I hate to list these last because they certainly arent the least! These are some of our unsung HEROs who were among the first on the scene. They were in clearing the roads and conducting search and rescue when it all first happened! They are still in there working hard by clearing out trees on peoples homes and etc. Camp Creek VFD is even allowing people to come take hot showers at the fire hall! Any of the VFDs would be a great place to donate because almost all in the county have helped out the disaster area but I really think it would be awesome to donate to one of the VFDs in the storm affected areas because you know the VFDs will be doing what needs done for those communities and they are in it for the long haul!

Please dont withhold money from these communities simply because you are distrustful of one organization. These areas still really need our help and there is still a lot to be done. Im sure these arent the only organizations that are in there doing a great job so please dont think I slighted anyone! These are just the ones that I have personally seen in action or have been bragged about by my family and friends who live in the area for being a huge help to them! If anyone has trouble contacting any of these organizations, please post here and I will be glad to post their contact information.
taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#32 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I'm glad they are. Would you like a reward? Like I stated. I know they mean well, but they have made some bad calls on some things. People do not need to be "red cross trained" to help out with simple tasks. If you have been to the scene, I'm sure you know how much work still needs done.
RED CROSS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER TO CLEAN UP THATS EMA AND SHERIFF WHO GETS IN RED CROSS IS NOT A CLEAN UP CREW UNTIL ALL OTHER NEEDS ARE MET WE WILL HELP WITH CLEAN UP THEN ON OUR OWN TIME....AGAIN YOU WANNA BE FED OR HAVE YOUR YARD LOOKING GOOD....NO REWARD IS NEEDED TO FEED WASHINGTON COUNTY YOU SAID PEOPLE SHOULD VOL. WITH A GOOD COUNTY WHY ARE WE FEEDING YOUR SO CALLED GREAT COUNTY? BECAUSE WE CARE FOR PEOPLE AND VOLUNTEER TO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED
wow

Gate City, VA

#33 May 3, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's called being organized. That's how you stop the looters.
Looters should be caught and shot. Period. Maybe we can all agree on that
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#34 May 3, 2011
taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>RED CROSS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHO WANTS TO VOLUNTEER TO CLEAN UP THATS EMA AND SHERIFF WHO GETS IN RED CROSS IS NOT A CLEAN UP CREW UNTIL ALL OTHER NEEDS ARE MET WE WILL HELP WITH CLEAN UP THEN ON OUR OWN TIME....AGAIN YOU WANNA BE FED OR HAVE YOUR YARD LOOKING GOOD....NO REWARD IS NEEDED TO FEED WASHINGTON COUNTY YOU SAID PEOPLE SHOULD VOL. WITH A GOOD COUNTY WHY ARE WE FEEDING YOUR SO CALLED GREAT COUNTY? BECAUSE WE CARE FOR PEOPLE AND VOLUNTEER TO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED
All I said was if they wouldn't let you volunteer there, as in my experience, Washington county was alot more willing to let people in to help out. If I can't help my county, I'm not gonna just go back home. I don't feel like a traitor just because I'm helping a neighboring county out, even though that was not my choice. And right now those people do need the food, but in a few weeks the property will still be a mess, when it could be getting cleaned now. I'm not disputing top needs here. You started that one.
taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#35 May 3, 2011
THIS IS A PISSING CONTEST.....SO IF YOUR HAPPY DOWNING THE RED CROSS THEN BE IT.....I AM HAPPY HELPING THE PEOPLE IN GREENE COUTY NO MATTER WHAT DISASTER SO BE IT
really

Johnson City, TN

#36 May 3, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not trying to be rude, but what are you talking about? And what has any of that got to do with the post you're 'replying' to? I'm confused.
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#37 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>All I said was if they wouldn't let you volunteer there, as in my experience, Washington county was alot more willing to let people in to help out. If I can't help my county, I'm not gonna just go back home. I don't feel like a traitor just because I'm helping a neighboring county out, even though that was not my choice. And right now those people do need the food, but in a few weeks the property will still be a mess, when it could be getting cleaned now. I'm not disputing top needs here. You started that one.
You are going HOME if you can't help???? And we should trust you????
really

Johnson City, TN

#38 May 3, 2011
myopinioncounts2 wrote:
<quoted text>
When my neighbors house burnt down years ago Red Cross was here in the ice storm with coffee and food behind the fire truck. They were also here behind the tornado feeding people before the tornado left TN. So look before you speak.
Again, the person you're 'replying' to is on the same side as you. Why do they need to 'look before' they 'speak'? You've gone and confused the hell out of me!
taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#39 May 3, 2011
SO NOW YOU KNOW RED CROSS DIDNT TELL YOU THAT YOU COULDNT VOLUNTEER....SO WHY ARE WE WORTHLESS? YOU SOUND SO EAGER TO HELP YOUR COMMUNITY MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER THE RED CROSS AS A GOOD VOLUNTEER AGENCY WE WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE MORE EAGER VOLUNTEERS
myopinioncounts2

Fort Campbell, TN

#40 May 3, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>Again, the person you're 'replying' to is on the same side as you. Why do they need to 'look before' they 'speak'? You've gone and confused the hell out of me!
Sorry they keep throwing my replies in the wrong posts. Seriously apologize.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green jeep 6 min CampCreeper 16
Romney will he run again ? 10 min obfusc hater 9
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 16 min BOiaF 145,922
Possible Animal Neglect 20 min Neighbor 6
Laughlin Memorial Hospital 1 hr patient 7
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr The InfoWar 8,616
Guinn 1 hr Lexie 3
Davis Street 9 hr CampCreeper 33
old men at greystone dump 11 hr visitor 16
south greene football 13 hr vincen F 39
•••
•••
•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••