red cross is worthless

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
disgusted

Elizabethton, TN

#1 May 2, 2011
I'm sure there are some good people in the organization, but these storms have really shown what a joke most are, especially in the camp creek area. I'm sure the people of that community could use clothes and other supplies but red cross has turned objects like this down. I know that they have told people to give money and turned away clothes. Not everyone can fork out cash. This is ridiculous considering some people are homeless without a thing to there name. And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees. This is not a strictly volunteer program. I know four young people who volunteered there time and a truck, but were turned away after twenty minutes because there was "nothing left to do". I've seen the area, and this can't be correct. If you are not in the red cross, they want nothing to do with you. That command post is nothing but big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow. If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
Enlightened

Greeneville, TN

#2 May 3, 2011
Who else in Greene County besides the local Red Cross is giving out 3,000 plus meals a day to the storm victims and the volunteers who are helping with the recovery efforts while you are bashing them and suggesting that Greene Countians volunteer in another county besides their own? It has been publicly announced that all of the monetary donations are going directly to helping the victims of this storm. Maybe they are currently turning down clothes because they have received so many donations that they have run out of storage space while they distribute the items. They likely have legitimate reasons for turning away certain volunteers. Maybe they have liability issues for young people under a certain age.

They are seeking monetary donations to pay for the food and shelter they provide that costs the victims not a single penny. A negative viewpoint is of little or no help to anyone, and good, helpful, positive ideas should be expressed someplace besides topix. Do something positive to effect a change if you are disgusted with the current situation, and please, please learn all the facts before you make such harsh judgments.
local

Murfreesboro, TN

#3 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
I'm sure there are some good people in the organization, but these storms have really shown what a joke most are, especially in the camp creek area. I'm sure the people of that community could use clothes and other supplies but red cross has turned objects like this down. I know that they have told people to give money and turned away clothes. Not everyone can fork out cash. This is ridiculous considering some people are homeless without a thing to there name. And come to find out, 15% of your contributions go towards helping out, the rest of the funds go to the organizations administrative fees. This is not a strictly volunteer program. I know four young people who volunteered there time and a truck, but were turned away after twenty minutes because there was "nothing left to do". I've seen the area, and this can't be correct. If you are not in the red cross, they want nothing to do with you. That command post is nothing but big wigs wanting media coverage, justifying a job, and measuring each others cash flow. If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
how dare you come on here at a time like this and trash on the red cross or anyone trying to help. one reason they are being careful about the volunteers is because there have been looters already people have had valuables stolen from their property. you want to ditch on the command post they are their trying to protect the victims and what little possessions they may have left. no one should trash talk about about this devastated time. it take a complete idiot to say anything negative. the people that are working out there wheather they are red cross or officers or anybody have spent hours helping. the night the tornados came those officers and volunteers came and stayed for 2 or 3 days straight with no sleep. could you do the same. so maybe you should go to washington county and live since they are so much more better organized
What To Do

Knoxville, TN

#4 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
You need to drop the ed and add ing and that would describe your attitude towards anyone trying to do any thing for the victims of this tragedy. If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem. JMO
really

Johnson City, TN

#5 May 3, 2011
To the OP:
If you don't like the way the Red Cross is handling donations, then don't donate to them. There are many local churches and other organizations taking items like clothing and food and the like that you can give to instead.
How dare you tell people in Greene County to NOT give their help to their own neighbors and instead give it to strangers in another county! What the hell is wrong with you?!!
what ever

Brentwood, TN

#6 May 3, 2011
hey! local the truth hurts red cross wnats the money and nothing else so they can put it in there pockets.everyone when there open up the camp creek and horse creek go up there and find a family and give them the money instead of red cross that's what i'm going to do.
local

Murfreesboro, TN

#7 May 3, 2011
what ever wrote:
hey! local the truth hurts red cross wnats the money and nothing else so they can put it in there pockets.everyone when there open up the camp creek and horse creek go up there and find a family and give them the money instead of red cross that's what i'm going to do.
you dumba** you don'twhat you are talking about. my family had a tragedy a few yrs ago and the red cross was first on the scene to help. i don't care how the money is spread out but i do know that the red cross has been on the scene of this distaster since it happened with what ever they can do to help EVERYBODY that has been effected. what a time for you big mouth idiots to get on here and ditch on anybody that is involved in helping with this mess
worker in crisis

Johnson City, TN

#8 May 3, 2011
Hey just wanted you all to know most of the people helping out at cross roads has been local people who care. Red Cross came in and handed locals vest that said American Red Cross. The people have since taken them off. The local churches restaurant like McDonalds and the John Deere Company (donated employees and paid them from the get go, provided food, transportation and also $250,000 dollars to the families not the Red
Cross, Herman Ice Company provided a tractor trailor of ice and General Dollar Store coolers and the Menonites Diaster Relief (are working long days to clean up the storm damage). The churches are providing the food I think Red Cross may have ask for there assistance. So why do I say this have always supported Red Cross but not any more now that I see how they work. We all need to support these families through this most difficult time but I have decided to chose other ways to support. I believe if you go out to the Cross Roads and ask where items came from you will find out what I found out locals with Red Cross taking the credit. I pray that we all continue to support our friends and families but we need to be honest about where the support is coming from. If you are one of the local people ask to wear a Red Cross Vest like my family was I encourage you to take it off. You might be suprised to see how many American Red Cross people are here. It concerns me because if they work like this what will really happened to money that is donated to these people who need it so much. So I would encourage these victims to speak up out so the money for them doesn't disappear. Red Cross is an organization that runs a budget not a volunteer service. They have lost my support forever. God Bless Lets Just Keep on working folks we have miles to go and so many people to help and I know the Good Lord can help us to help our brothers and sisters until this mess is cleaned up. TK

“o u wish!”

Since: Mar 11

Johnson City, TN

#9 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
the clothes are being turned away because they have already recieved too many. the residents are asking for tarps, hardware, tools to clean away debris, soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, flashlights, and batteries. you are right that the leadership is poor. the cross-roads command post is being run by un-paid volunteers. those volunteers have worked VERY hard, and you have just spat in their face. instead of complaining and redirecting people away from your local community, why don't you get out there and do something about it. hey, or better yet just get f**ked.
Hold_On_A_Minute

Greeneville, TN

#10 May 3, 2011
Did you know that the local Red Cross has 600+ volunteers? Did you know that the local Red Cross is often instrumental in getting supplies donated from companies just like Harman Ice and the Dollar Stores? Do you think companies just show up wherever there is a tragedy without being recruited to do so by the Red Cross? Also, keep in mind that when the Red Cross hands out vests, it is to help identify actual volunteers that are helping out...not for the credit of the Red Cross, but for the protection of the residents of the area, so that volunteers are accounted for as well. This helps keep out looters and gawkers. Local people who care are a wonderful thing, but most of them do not have the means to set up the secondary storm shelters that are in place as the new storm front moves in this afternoon. Who is providing that? The Red Cross.

I pray that you never need the assistance of the Red Cross. Nevertheless, after all the bad-mouthing you and others on Topics have done, the Red Cross would be there for you, each and every one, if you needed them, even though you don't deserve it after the way you have bashed them here.
worker in crisis wrote:
Hey just wanted you all to know most of the people helping out at cross roads has been local people who care. Red Cross came in and handed locals vest that said American Red Cross. The people have since taken them off. The local churches restaurant like McDonalds and the John Deere Company (donated employees and paid them from the get go, provided food, transportation and also $250,000 dollars to the families not the Red
Cross, Herman Ice Company provided a tractor trailor of ice and General Dollar Store coolers and the Menonites Diaster Relief (are working long days to clean up the storm damage). The churches are providing the food I think Red Cross may have ask for there assistance. So why do I say this have always supported Red Cross but not any more now that I see how they work. We all need to support these families through this most difficult time but I have decided to chose other ways to support. I believe if you go out to the Cross Roads and ask where items came from you will find out what I found out locals with Red Cross taking the credit. I pray that we all continue to support our friends and families but we need to be honest about where the support is coming from. If you are one of the local people ask to wear a Red Cross Vest like my family was I encourage you to take it off. You might be suprised to see how many American Red Cross people are here. It concerns me because if they work like this what will really happened to money that is donated to these people who need it so much. So I would encourage these victims to speak up out so the money for them doesn't disappear. Red Cross is an organization that runs a budget not a volunteer service. They have lost my support forever. God Bless Lets Just Keep on working folks we have miles to go and so many people to help and I know the Good Lord can help us to help our brothers and sisters until this mess is cleaned up. TK
insaneclown

Elizabethton, TN

#11 May 3, 2011
always someone got something to say about whats going on with this mess,whats the answer you say,seem to be the smart one here.maybe you have an answer for world peace.some people just cannot be happy.the red cross feeds people and checks on them making sure they have or get the things that they need.like a shelter for tonight while it is raining.my ole lady joned the red cross just to help.she aint getting paid but she is doing what she can.she sure aint bitchin like you are about how they are doing.I wish you were in charge and see how thing go when there is a mess like this put in your lap.maybe you will see you dont know shit.why not donate to the kkk you dumbass.your kind of thinking I guess you would be able to justify doing it.the red cross helps when they are needed.whos out there now.you.nope they are.
Volunteer FireFighter

Jonesborough, TN

#12 May 3, 2011
This really just makes me sick to come online and see this crap on Topix. Seriously, learn the facts before you speak such ignorant things. 'Hold_on_A_Minute' seems to know something about what they are talking about, as does several other people above me on this. The Red Cross vests are being used in order to identify who are actual Red Cross volunteers and who may have just arrived to take advantage of a VERY delicate situation. The Red Cross has several members that have been working their butts off since the 27th, (the night of the tornadoes, for those of you who don't recognize the date). I, myself, responded that night and worked trying to help everyone as much as possible. This is a very sad thing to see. I can't believe you state that people that live in Greene County should just ignore their neighbors in need and go to Washington County. If you wish to help Washington County residents that are in need due to the storm, that is your choice and good for you. If someone needs help, they need help. But to post slander on Topix is just stupid.
big john

Fort Campbell, TN

#13 May 3, 2011
hey disgusted, do you live in the areas affected by the tornadoes? i live in an area where we had a major flood that destroyed homes and peoples possessions. thank goodness, there was no lives lost, but with no way to get in and out of the area, and no water, GUESS WHO WAS HERE!
THE RED CROSS. and they brought water and food for those who needed it.
now disgusted, if you are too poor to make a donation to any charitable organization, just be quite and do not trash good people trying to help.
what kind of donation is your church making?
i attend a small country church that is giving financial aid to TORNADO VICTIMS, and we don't stop there. we find so many reasons to give, and we give in a manner as to where we know where our contributions go. we don't look for excuses not to give because we are broke or stingy, although none of us are wealthy.
one more thing concerning the flood! a friend of mine lost his home and all his possessions in the flood and THE RED CROSS purchased clothes for his whole family.
THE RED CROSS NEEDS DONATIONS THAT ARE UNIVERSAL, OR CAN BE USED BY ANYONE, then the friends and churches and other groups can try to find what size clothes everyone in need wears.
COME ON, SLIP THE RED CROSS A DOLLAR. IF TEN THOUSAND OF US GIVE A DOLLAR, WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING.
camp creek survivors

Albemarle, NC

#14 May 3, 2011
This is pitiful I think they are doing a fine job and thanks for everything that you all are found and have all ready done
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#15 May 3, 2011
For you idiots than can't read, I did not encourage people to take their help to another county. I also did say I'm sure there are some good in the organization. I simply said that I went somewhere that would let me help, and was very organized in doing so, which was a different command post on that given day. I tried to help in my county, but pretty much got spit on by being told I couldn't, and being told I was better off writing a check. IF they will let you help your county, then of course you should do so. These families are in bad need of all supplies, and I suggest you find a family and help them directly, without red cross having the opportunity to turn down objects that I'm sure some family could use.

Oh, and a little info for the members that think I'm crazy. I know of a church group that took 800 dollars worth of hamburger meat to the crossroads to be cooked for the victims one night. They were told that they were cooking for the volunteers and not the victims at that moment. These church members had to turn around and go grill on their own and deliver this food, because red cross was more concerned with volunteers, which I'm sure would have survived missing one meal.

I'm sure alot of them mean well and they are good people, but that is just pathetic. I've never used topix before, and you all are right, it is sad that I have to post about this subject. Thanks to the real volunteers who are volunteering there time, and anything that they can to the effort during this stressful and terrible time.
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#16 May 3, 2011
big john wrote:
hey disgusted, do you live in the areas affected by the tornadoes? i live in an area where we had a major flood that destroyed homes and peoples possessions. thank goodness, there was no lives lost, but with no way to get in and out of the area, and no water, GUESS WHO WAS HERE!
THE RED CROSS. and they brought water and food for those who needed it.
now disgusted, if you are too poor to make a donation to any charitable organization, just be quite and do not trash good people trying to help.
what kind of donation is your church making?
i attend a small country church that is giving financial aid to TORNADO VICTIMS, and we don't stop there. we find so many reasons to give, and we give in a manner as to where we know where our contributions go. we don't look for excuses not to give because we are broke or stingy, although none of us are wealthy.
one more thing concerning the flood! a friend of mine lost his home and all his possessions in the flood and THE RED CROSS purchased clothes for his whole family.
THE RED CROSS NEEDS DONATIONS THAT ARE UNIVERSAL, OR CAN BE USED BY ANYONE, then the friends and churches and other groups can try to find what size clothes everyone in need wears.
COME ON, SLIP THE RED CROSS A DOLLAR. IF TEN THOUSAND OF US GIVE A DOLLAR, WE HAVE ACCOMPLISHED SOMETHING.
I personally was not affected, but had friends in the camp creek area, two that did not make it. I am by no means wealthy, but have donated directly to a family in need by donations at my work place. Again, I know there are good people in the organization, and all of them have good intentions, but some of there efforts have been terrible. I have seen the area, and red cross has no reason to be turning down anything at this point, especially well abled bodies willing to do anything to help.
really

Johnson City, TN

#17 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
For you idiots than can't read, I did not encourage people to take their help to another county.
Your own words:
disgusted wrote:
If you wish to volunteer, Washington county has it together, and is very thankful for the help.
You're a piece of work.
disgusted

Gate City, VA

#18 May 3, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Your own words:
<quoted text>
You're a piece of work.
Yes it sure is. I didn't encourage anyone to leave there own area, but if they say they can't use you, as in my case, or only want your cash as in many peoples case, this is a place that can and will use your time and effort. As many have said on other threads, this are is turning away loads of people with supplies such as saws wishing to help clean up. Seems to me they shouldn't be turning away anything in this time of need. Thats all I'm saying.
YRSOFGIVING

Mount Holly, NC

#19 May 3, 2011
ouwish wrote:
<quoted text>
the clothes are being turned away because they have already recieved too many. the residents are asking for tarps, hardware, tools to clean away debris, soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, flashlights, and batteries. you are right that the leadership is poor. the cross-roads command post is being run by un-paid volunteers. those volunteers have worked VERY hard, and you have just spat in their face. instead of complaining and redirecting people away from your local community, why don't you get out there and do something about it. hey, or better yet just get f**ked.
I have supported RC for many yrs.Ppl have the right to question their response.Where are the trained ppl?I appreciate the local volunteers and things would be much better for everyone helping, if they had leadership.Ppl are willing to help but they need direction.I don't mean one person killing her self and I don't mean crash course training.It's obvious from other post who you are,and your hateful language does much more damage to RC than someone asking a question.GREAT JOB!
taxpayer

Johnson City, TN

#20 May 3, 2011
disgusted wrote:
OK LETS SIMPLIFY THIS WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE A LOAD OF FOOD OR A LOAD OF CLOTHES OR SOMEWHERE TO STAY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristy Necessary 4 min Misty 3
Busted ... : ( 4 min Country boy 9
Beverly Casteel 7 min Josh 10
ISIL getting air dropped American supplies 15 min Drop Zone 1
REPUBLICANS say no to mobile home votes their t... 18 min Trailer TrashOpin... 1
GOD gave food to poor fetus who are born GOP 21 min WasteTAX cuts 7
ROE takes vets pain meds away 24 min Pets StillGETem 26
new sheriff says you are to old 3 hr fritz 60
Scintillaire Restaurant 6 hr Dr Wu 21
lol west greene vs. greeneville 6 hr LMAO 24
get rid of Robert Sayne 8 hr resident 63
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match

Greeneville Jobs

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info