Looked

Butler, TN

#236 Jul 2, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
From my understanding the increase did many of these things. And I also explained how pay increases for teachers can increase student learning. If you compare the schools systems that pay well you will also find that the scores are in most cases higher. You seem to think teaching would be a fun, easy, and profitable career. Maybe you should become a teacher. It can't be difficult, can it? Instead of complaining you should cash in on it! See if you have what it takes.
You insinuate a lot! Give us facts, I.e., all those higher paying system's higher test scores.. Give us proof that some of that tax increase " did many of these things", other than pay teachers more. I've never said teaching was fun( I do hope there is some of that), or easy; it can be profitable, just like any profession( it's according to people's priorities, and saving habits).

I have quite a few family members and friends that teach. That's where I get my information. Most all of them agree with what I've said. They would like for people like you to go away because you make their life more difficult. They are happy doing what they do, and say they knew what the pay and benefits were going into education.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#237 Jul 2, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text> You insinuate a lot! Give us facts, I.e., all those higher paying system's higher test scores.. Give us proof that some of that tax increase " did many of these things", other than pay teachers more. I've never said teaching was fun( I do hope there is some of that), or easy; it can be profitable, just like any profession( it's according to people's priorities, and saving habits).
I have quite a few family members and friends that teach. That's where I get my information. Most all of them agree with what I've said. They would like for people like you to go away because you make their life more difficult. They are happy doing what they do, and say they knew what the pay and benefits were going into education.
To find your "facts" of the you can go to the state of Tennessee's education page and look at the test scores. You can also scroll back to the post that contained the link to the salaries by school system. I'm not going to do all your work for you. It's there. I've checked before because I was curious myself. Also if you want your "proof that some of the tax increase 'did many of these things' other than pay teachers more" call central office and ask for the budget. I am aware that a lot of money has been spent in training and to buy new curriculum. You can also go to the county's webpage to see information about professional development. If you go to the school board meetings, which obviously you don't, you would have heard them discuss some of these items you are asking me about. As far as teaching being profitable, if you are talking financially profitable, no it can't. Not in this area. Not if you are trying to raise a family. Not unless you have something to supplement your income. Like a spouse with additional income. Or a second job. And as has been stated before, when a teacher has to find a second or third job to supplement her income her focus is divided and she is less effective than she could be otherwise. Notice I didn't say ineffective, I am sure you will accuse me of that.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#238 Jul 2, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text> You insinuate a lot! Give us facts, I.e., all those higher paying system's higher test scores.. Give us proof that some of that tax increase " did many of these things", other than pay teachers more. I've never said teaching was fun( I do hope there is some of that), or easy; it can be profitable, just like any profession( it's according to people's priorities, and saving habits).
I went ahead and reviewed the "facts" for you. First I looked at the rankings of school systems in Tennessee according to average salaries of classroom teachers from the 2011-2012 school year. This was the most current I could find at the moment. The top 10 were Memphis City, Shelby County, Johnson City, Bristol City, Kingsport City, Alcoa, Maryville, Davidson County, Paris SSD, and Bradley County. Then I looked at the average TCAP math scores over a three year period from 2010-2012. Of these Oak Ridge was 8th, Alcoa was 13, Shelby was 9, Maryville was 3, Franklin SSD was 4, Johnson City was 2, Kingsport was 5, Bristol 11 and Dyersburg was 13. In the 3 year average for Reading/Language Arts Oak Ridge was 6, Alcoa was 7, Shelby was 6, Maryville was 2, Franklin SSD was 3, Johnson City was 4, Kingsport was 5, Bristol was 9 and Dyersburg was 15. As with anything there are outliers and Memphis, despite being the best paying schools system in the state was 24 in Math and 23 in English/Language Arts. I think this speaks to the fact that the school system is so screwed up due to gang violence that they are having a difficult time retaining teachers, no matter the pay. Keep in mind also that the quality of teacher isn't the only factor in the scores. As mentioned in this thread several times there are many other factors that effect test scores. But if a school system wants to maintain quality teachers they need to offer salaries that will enable those teachers to work and support families without having to take on additional income sources.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#239 Jul 2, 2014
Looked wrote:
While I highly doubt your last paragraph I would like to reply. Most who go into education are idealistic men and woman who wish to make a difference. While many may know the pay scale going in, reality doesn't set in until they try to make a budget on that salary. If they are single without children it isn't so difficult. It's when they try to start a family and pay off their student loans. Even though their hearts may be in the right place, they find themselves going deeper and deeper into debt. I have heard the same holds true for young men and women who go in to social work. As has been stated, unless you have some source of additional income such as a spouse or another job, this holds true.
Looked

Butler, TN

#240 Jul 3, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
I went ahead and reviewed the "facts" for you. First I looked at the rankings of school systems in Tennessee according to average salaries of classroom teachers from the 2011-2012 school year. This was the most current I could find at the moment. The top 10 were Memphis City, Shelby County, Johnson City, Bristol City, Kingsport City, Alcoa, Maryville, Davidson County, Paris SSD, and Bradley County. Then I looked at the average TCAP math scores over a three year period from 2010-2012. Of these Oak Ridge was 8th, Alcoa was 13, Shelby was 9, Maryville was 3, Franklin SSD was 4, Johnson City was 2, Kingsport was 5, Bristol 11 and Dyersburg was 13. In the 3 year average for Reading/Language Arts Oak Ridge was 6, Alcoa was 7, Shelby was 6, Maryville was 2, Franklin SSD was 3, Johnson City was 4, Kingsport was 5, Bristol was 9 and Dyersburg was 15. As with anything there are outliers and Memphis, despite being the best paying schools system in the state was 24 in Math and 23 in English/Language Arts. I think this speaks to the fact that the school system is so screwed up due to gang violence that they are having a difficult time retaining teachers, no matter the pay. Keep in mind also that the quality of teacher isn't the only factor in the scores. As mentioned in this thread several times there are many other factors that effect test scores. But if a school system wants to maintain quality teachers they need to offer salaries that will enable those teachers to work and support families without having to take on additional income sources.
That's where your facts aren't up to date. The information from 2012 doesn't have the raises from the 20 cent tax increase, or the raises from 2013, and 2014 in them. We all know all the city school systems can pay more because they get to keep more sales tax because that's where the point of collection is, and their systems aren't as big as the counties. So they can spend more per student because of the numbers.
. You don't mention that Greene county charges the maximum sales tax, when most everyone around us doesn't. There is also a study you can find on line that will tell you how each state is graded on the truth in reporting on actual per pupil expenditure. Tennessee got a D. You can finagle per pupil expenditure to the point that you can't even compare system to system in a state. You're right, you can find all kinds of information on the internet. I hope people will start looking up some " facts". Thank you for giving me the incentive to do my homework and spend more time on this subject. It's an important one.
Folks all you have to do is type in any question you have about education, there's a wealth of information out there. We do need to educate ourselves better, so we know what the real truth is. The union just feeds us the same old info. Education just keeps moving the bar, that's why you can't ever really tell how we're doing in education. It's hard to hit a moving target. That's the way they want it. That way they say you can't evaluate them like you do other professions. How convenient.
My friends in education are frustrated with the constant " trends"in education. Good teachers know how to teach. Let them do their jobs. Get rid of the teachers that are constantly being remediated. They would be happier doing something they're good at.
Bottom line, who's looking out for the children. The only children you talk about is the few problem children. They are the ones that need our love the most. I sure hope you're not a teacher.
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#241 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>That's where your facts aren't up to date. The information from 2012 doesn't have the raises from the 20 cent tax increase, or the raises from 2013, and 2014 in them. We all know all the city school systems can pay more because they get to keep more sales tax because that's where the point of collection is, and their systems aren't as big as the counties. So they can spend more per student because of the numbers.
. You don't mention that Greene county charges the maximum sales tax, when most everyone around us doesn't. There is also a study you can find on line that will tell you how each state is graded on the truth in reporting on actual per pupil expenditure. Tennessee got a D. You can finagle per pupil expenditure to the point that you can't even compare system to system in a state. You're right, you can find all kinds of information on the internet. I hope people will start looking up some " facts". Thank you for giving me the incentive to do my homework and spend more time on this subject. It's an important one.
Folks all you have to do is type in any question you have about education, there's a wealth of information out there. We do need to educate ourselves better, so we know what the real truth is. The union just feeds us the same old info. Education just keeps moving the bar, that's why you can't ever really tell how we're doing in education. It's hard to hit a moving target. That's the way they want it. That way they say you can't evaluate them like you do other professions. How convenient.
My friends in education are frustrated with the constant " trends"in education. Good teachers know how to teach. Let them do their jobs. Get rid of the teachers that are constantly being remediated. They would be happier doing something they're good at.
Bottom line, who's looking out for the children. The only children you talk about is the few problem children. They are the ones that need our love the most. I sure hope you're not a teacher.
you have to be the most stubbornly ignorant person in Greeneville. When you ask for facts and are provided them you create some absurd reason to discard them. You asked for proof that higher paying districts have higher results and she found it. How would the date change that? Also, if the raise was STATE MANDATED, wouldn't that mean that all teachers received the same raise? So how would that change the data?
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#242 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>That's where your facts aren't up to date. The information from 2012 doesn't have the raises from the 20 cent tax increase, or the raises from 2013, and 2014 in them. We all know all the city school systems can pay more because they get to keep more sales tax because that's where the point of collection is, and their systems aren't as big as the counties. So they can spend more per student because of the numbers.
if you actually do have any friends in education, which is highly doubtful, they won't be your friends long. You spew anti-education rhetoric in everything you post. You accuse others of insinuations, yet you haven't provided any real evidence to back up your arguments. That is called projection and is a sign of a personality disorder. I really don't care who you are but I must ask myself what has caused you to be so anti-education? And why do you insist on remaining blind after presented with any real evidence? If you disagree with what someone posts fine. Debate it. Find some real evidence to back up your claims. If you can't find anything maybe you should rethink your position instead of spouting out hate.
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#243 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
do me a favor. When you talk to one of your teacher "friends" run your idea by her about firing three bad teachers and putting those students in her classroom. Then let me know her reaction. That way we can gauge just how full of crap you are. No teacher in their right mind would say taking on a classroom of 80-120 kids is a good idea.
Looked

Butler, TN

#244 Jul 3, 2014
banjo knees wrote:
<quoted text>
you have to be the most stubbornly ignorant person in Greeneville. When you ask for facts and are provided them you create some absurd reason to discard them. You asked for proof that higher paying districts have higher results and she found it. How would the date change that? Also, if the raise was STATE MANDATED, wouldn't that mean that all teachers received the same raise? So how would that change the data?
My point is that there have been two more school years since that data was provided. If you've read the paper the last two years, there have been two more years of raises that aren't accounted for. In her info.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#245 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
Whether the facts are up to date or not is beside the point. You asked me to provide proof that the higher paying school systems have higher scores. I did. Either higher paying school systems have higher scores or they don't. The year has nothing to do with it. If you can find more current data I will look at it. This is the most current I could find.
nothing but

Greeneville, TN

#246 Jul 3, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
From my understanding the increase did many of these things. And I also explained how pay increases for teachers can increase student learning. If you compare the schools systems that pay well you will also find that the scores are in most cases higher. You seem to think teaching would be a fun, easy, and profitable career. Maybe you should become a teacher. It can't be difficult, can it? Instead of complaining you should cash in on it! See if you have what it takes.
U are quite pitiful. I, I, I, I - blessings to you for thinking anyone cares about your explanations. In the beginning it might have seemed you were not just pro the system, but that fell by the wayside a long time ago. Teachers have become nothing but complainers.
Looked

Butler, TN

#247 Jul 3, 2014
banjo knees wrote:
<quoted text>
if you actually do have any friends in education, which is highly doubtful, they won't be your friends long. You spew anti-education rhetoric in everything you post. You accuse others of insinuations, yet you haven't provided any real evidence to back up your arguments. That is called projection and is a sign of a personality disorder. I really don't care who you are but I must ask myself what has caused you to be so anti-education? And why do you insist on remaining blind after presented with any real evidence? If you disagree with what someone posts fine. Debate it. Find some real evidence to back up your claims. If you can't find anything maybe you should rethink your position instead of spouting out hate.
You are clueless. There are many teachers that are tired of the few who complain all the time. I love how you and your alter- ego say that anyone who disagrees or tries to educate people have mental problems. You totally ignore the praise I give good teachers. Generally speaking you are the perfect example of an educator that needs to be doing something else. I wouldn't want someone who equates being a better teacher with how much they get paid. How do you do that? Give 60% of yourself to your job because you think that's how much you're getting paid to do.......(just a number thrown in there). I don't hate anyone. Obviously you have that problem. Worried about your gravy train?
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#248 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>You are clueless. There are many teachers that are tired of the few who complain all the time. I love how you and your alter- ego say that anyone who disagrees or tries to educate people have mental problems. You totally ignore the praise I give good teachers. Generally speaking you are the perfect example of an educator that needs to be doing something else. I wouldn't want someone who equates being a better teacher with how much they get paid. How do you do that? Give 60% of yourself to your job because you think that's how much you're getting paid to do.......(just a number thrown in there). I don't hate anyone. Obviously you have that problem. Worried about your gravy train?
If you are an indicator of how difficult the people of Greene County are to educate then I feel for the teachers. There is no doubt in my mind my posts cast light on some of your mislead ideas, yet you refuse to admit it and hold on to faulty explanations. I had thought that we could have a debate but I feel like I am talking to a 4 year old. And yes, I also agree that you have a few screws loose. You keep insisting that I must be an educator because I know so much about education. You insist you know as much, so does that make you an educator also? The fact that you think I am an educator is a compliment to me because it verifies to me that I am making sense, whether you wish to admit it or not.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#249 Jul 3, 2014
nothing but wrote:
<quoted text>
U are quite pitiful. I, I, I, I - blessings to you for thinking anyone cares about your explanations. In the beginning it might have seemed you were not just pro the system, but that fell by the wayside a long time ago. Teachers have become nothing but complainers.
You are accusing me of something I have not done. You are the one who has been complaining. You complain about the high wages and outrageous benefits teachers receive. All I have done is shed light on your misguided ideas. Again, teachers would never complain if people like you didn't insist that they have an easy job with a large salary and unbelievable benefits. I was a stay-at-home mother for many years. It grated on my nerves to hear people comment how nice and relaxing it must be to stay at home all day. Yes, I enjoyed staying at home with my children. It was rewarding. Was it easy? Not on your life. The people who made those comments were ignorant of the responsibilities of a stay-at-home mother. I feel the same about people who make comments about teachers. In my opinion we cannot pay teachers enough. I feel the same about our service men and officers. These people are entirely giving and have very demanding jobs. No, I did not want my taxes raised, but face it, we have one of the lowest property taxes in the state. Grundy County's property tax rate went up 41 cents, Marion County's and Fentress County's was raised 50 cents. We have nothing to complain about. Even with the increase in property tax our rates are still at the bottom. I suggest you find something else to complain about.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#250 Jul 3, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>You are clueless. There are many teachers that are tired of the few who complain all the time. I love how you and your alter- ego say that anyone who disagrees or tries to educate people have mental problems. You totally ignore the praise I give good teachers. Generally speaking you are the perfect example of an educator that needs to be doing something else. I wouldn't want someone who equates being a better teacher with how much they get paid. How do you do that? Give 60% of yourself to your job because you think that's how much you're getting paid to do.......(just a number thrown in there). I don't hate anyone. Obviously you have that problem. Worried about your gravy train?
This is getting redundant and I feel I am beating a dead horse. I don't know if you are as stupid as you seem, or if you are simply just stubborn, but I will humor you and explain this once again. In any profession it is a common practice to offer higher wages if you want to attract better employees. Many people go into the teaching profession because they have a passion for teaching. They want to make a difference. They simply love their jobs. They may want to work for the wages offered locally, but if they have a family and student loans to repay it is very difficult to make ends meet. Many teachers have to find other employment. Would it make them a better teacher if they were offered higher wages? If it would mean that they could quit their second or third jobs to focus on just one job, what do you think that answer would be? This is not simply a case of teachers refusing to work hard because they don't like their wages. That is absurd. Yet you keep insisting that is the case. You have absolutely no clue.
facts

Greeneville, TN

#251 Jul 4, 2014
banjo knees wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want facts. All you want is your side of the story. I am beginning to hate teachers. They must think they are the only people in Greeneville who deserve more money for what they do. Plain ole silly and selfish.
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#252 Jul 4, 2014
facts wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't want facts. All you want is your side of the story. I am beginning to hate teachers. They must think they are the only people in Greeneville who deserve more money for what they do. Plain ole silly and selfish.
lol...I'm not the one who asked for the facts. And who are you kidding? You haven't liked teachers since they single handedly hiked up that land tax.
Looked

Butler, TN

#253 Jul 4, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
This is getting redundant and I feel I am beating a dead horse. I don't know if you are as stupid as you seem, or if you are simply just stubborn, but I will humor you and explain this once again. In any profession it is a common practice to offer higher wages if you want to attract better employees. Many people go into the teaching profession because they have a passion for teaching. They want to make a difference. They simply love their jobs. They may want to work for the wages offered locally, but if they have a family and student loans to repay it is very difficult to make ends meet. Many teachers have to find other employment. Would it make them a better teacher if they were offered higher wages? If it would mean that they could quit their second or third jobs to focus on just one job, what do you think that answer would be? This is not simply a case of teachers refusing to work hard because they don't like their wages. That is absurd. Yet you keep insisting that is the case. You have absolutely no clue.
Since you" aren't a teacher, you are just spouting talking points. You know no more than I do about being a teacher personally. Neither one of us are experts. You're right, everyone would like to make more money so they didn't have to work two or three jobs to get by. Education is the only vocation that allows you to do that because they get so much time off and get paid as much In nine months as the rest of us do in 12 months. Every other profession can fire incompetent employees and it not take a year or two, a law suit, and having another class of students have to have this teacher before you can get rid of them. You really have no clue what you are talking about since you aren't a teacher- you're absurd! Other professions don't move a bad employee around, they fire them.
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#254 Jul 4, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>Since you" aren't a teacher, you are just spouting talking points. You know no more than I do about being a teacher personally. Neither one of us are experts. You're right, everyone would like to make more money so they didn't have to work two or three jobs to get by. Education is the only vocation that allows you to do that because they get so much time off and get paid as much In nine months as the rest of us do in 12 months. Every other profession can fire incompetent employees and it not take a year or two, a law suit, and having another class of students have to have this teacher before you can get rid of them. You really have no clue what you are talking about since you aren't a teacher- you're absurd! Other professions don't move a bad employee around, they fire them.
she sure does make more sense than you do though! By your own admission you have only recently started researching information on this. You thanked Kat for giving you the incentive to do your homework. Wow! If she isn't a teacher maybe she needs to become one. And maybe after you do your homework you will be more informed!
banjo knees

Candler, NC

#255 Jul 4, 2014
Looked wrote:
<quoted text>Since you" aren't a teacher, you are just spouting talking points. You know no more than I do about being a teacher personally. Neither one of us are experts. You're right, everyone would like to make more money so they didn't have to work two or three jobs to get by. Education is the only vocation that allows you to do that because they get so much time off and get paid as much In nine months as the rest of us do in 12 months. Every other profession can fire incompetent employees and it not take a year or two, a law suit, and having another class of students have to have this teacher before you can get rid of them. You really have no clue what you are talking about since you aren't a teacher- you're absurd! Other professions don't move a bad employee around, they fire them.
You actually think teachers only work nine months a year? You need to talk to all those "teacher friends" of yours because you have been misinformed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mrs. Foster 5 min Goes around comes... 8
Are you attending the James Carpenter trial? 11 min Nobody 17
wheel tax 16 min more waste 137
cheating wives 22 min crazy8 10
Jason Hickman (charged with rape) 31 min Wow 8
Wreck on Erwin hwy 36 min elmer 37
Ever have a famly member dispear? 49 min grey batter 4
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 1 hr Tom 6,730
Eddie Jennings 2 hr Really 45
***** last post wins ***** 11 hr Kohlrabi 983
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl