School Board Budget $46.8M! Will resu...

School Board Budget $46.8M! Will results reflect increase?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Since: Jan 12

Johnson City, TN

#1 May 24, 2014
There is so much discord on the Greene County School Board, as a parent, taxpayer and resident, I am surprised anything gets COMPLETED! Are the students of Greene County BETTER PREPARED today? Has the ACT scores improved in direct proportion to the MONEY expended on salaries for QUALITY teachers? Are these QUALITY teachers doing the extras to HELP students that may possess learning difficulties or offerring EXTRA learning opportunities for the GIFTED?
TCAP scores and ACT's should be readily available to compare with YESTERDAY years! How do WE compare to other TN counties, TN to other States? These figures and comparisons SHOULD reflect if the MONEY spent is bringing about the results they should!
Oliver

Johnson City, TN

#2 May 24, 2014
Good budget this year and no tax increase !
Greene Parent

Greeneville, TN

#3 May 24, 2014
Since Greene County spends close to the bottom per pupil in the state, I hope the results do not reflect our spending. This county's priorities are definitely not with education (which is a shame).
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#4 May 24, 2014
Oliver wrote:
Good budget this year and no tax increase !
good budget! They said they added almost three quarters of a million dollars more to next years budget!!! You call that a good budget? Must be someone who benefited from that big increase. I believed the Sun said all that increase went to employees. Nothing for the children!!! We need a leader who's gonna put kids first,not the adults. Oh I guess the leader got a rAise too. Just because there is no tax increase doesn't mean it's a good budget..........no wonder we're broke in this country if people think like you.!
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#5 May 24, 2014
Greene Parent wrote:
Since Greene County spends close to the bottom per pupil in the state, I hope the results do not reflect our spending. This county's priorities are definitely not with education (which is a shame).
someone else who benefitted from the money I guess. Folks used to teach our kids better with a whole lot less money. Money isn't the problem, it's about a third if the teachers who need to go because they don't know enough to teach the kids. Our founding fathers didn't need millions of dollars to become educated. They had motivation and teachers who taught for the love of teaching. No amount of money can fix what' wrong with education. What will help GC more than anything is to get someone who will make this board and administration spend the money they get on the kids. Right now education has it's priorities way out of line. That's the problem. Oh by the way, you don't hear other professions whining all the time. J
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#6 May 27, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>good budget! They said they added almost three quarters of a million dollars more to next years budget!!! You call that a good budget? Must be someone who benefited from that big increase. I believed the Sun said all that increase went to employees. Nothing for the children!!! We need a leader who's gonna put kids first,not the adults. Oh I guess the leader got a rAise too. Just because there is no tax increase doesn't mean it's a good budget..........no wonder we're broke in this country if people think like you.!
So your logic is that if the increase went to the employees, then the children do not benefit? What about if the increase went to hire more assistants so that my child can receive more individualized help from the teacher? What if the increase went to hire more teachers so that my child's classroom will have a lower teacher/student ratio? What if the increase went to giving teachers a raise so that they don't have to look for a second job to pay their bills, and can focus more on teaching? Or apply to neighboring districts that value education and pay their teachers thousands more? Education is no exception to the rule "you get what you pay for".
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#7 May 27, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>someone else who benefitted from the money I guess. Folks used to teach our kids better with a whole lot less money. Money isn't the problem, it's about a third if the teachers who need to go because they don't know enough to teach the kids. Our founding fathers didn't need millions of dollars to become educated. They had motivation and teachers who taught for the love of teaching. No amount of money can fix what' wrong with education. What will help GC more than anything is to get someone who will make this board and administration spend the money they get on the kids. Right now education has it's priorities way out of line. That's the problem. Oh by the way, you don't hear other professions whining all the time. J
Unfortunately motivation won't pay the bills. My husband would love to teach. His dream has always been to teach and he has a teaching degree. However we agreed when we had children that I would be a stay-at-home-mom until the children start school. With our student loans it just wasn't feasible for him to teach in this area. Especially when he was able to find a job making almost triple what a teacher's salary is. I also have several friends who are single parents who teach. Living on a teacher's salary is difficult. It's sad that these same women could have spent the same amount of time in college pursuing another degree and be making far more money. I can imagine many of them are regretting their decision to become a teacher. But at this point they can't quit their jobs to go back to school and support a family. I would not recommend anyone become a teacher in this day and age unless they are already financially independent.
benefits

Greeneville, TN

#8 May 28, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately motivation won't pay the bills. My husband would love to teach. His dream has always been to teach and he has a teaching degree. However we agreed when we had children that I would be a stay-at-home-mom until the children start school. With our student loans it just wasn't feasible for him to teach in this area. Especially when he was able to find a job making almost triple what a teacher's salary is. I also have several friends who are single parents who teach. Living on a teacher's salary is difficult. It's sad that these same women could have spent the same amount of time in college pursuing another degree and be making far more money. I can imagine many of them are regretting their decision to become a teacher. But at this point they can't quit their jobs to go back to school and support a family. I would not recommend anyone become a teacher in this day and age unless they are already financially independent.
Well, when you figure in all our benefits, it could be a lot worse. Every time I complain about pay, I get in trouble mainly because of our benefits.
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#9 May 28, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
So your logic is that if the increase went to the employees, then the children do not benefit? What about if the increase went to hire more assistants so that my child can receive more individualized help from the teacher? What if the increase went to hire more teachers so that my child's classroom will have a lower teacher/student ratio? What if the increase went to giving teachers a raise so that they don't have to look for a second job to pay their bills, and can focus more on teaching? Or apply to neighboring districts that value education and pay their teachers thousands more? Education is no exception to the rule "you get what you pay for".
i think hiring more teaching assistants is a good idea, that directly helps the pupil/ teacher ratio. I think it would be great to use some of that retirement money on more teachers, that would help kids! There are loads of people out here working two or three jobs ( for a heck of a lot less money) to support their families. And they don't get the summer off or 4 weeks of some type of holiday break during the months ( 9) they do work. Honey, that old "valuing" education story just don't get it anymore. If you don't like it here, then by all means move. We aren't getting anywhere near what we're paying for now. If you want to get paid like Greeneville City- give us better results. You're getting paid too much for the results we 're getting now!!!!
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#10 May 28, 2014
benefits wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, when you figure in all our benefits, it could be a lot worse. Every time I complain about pay, I get in trouble mainly because of our benefits.
no one gets the kind of benefits that government jobs get. Sad thing is that the people paying for those Cadillac benefits for them, have horrible benefits! That's whAt happens when the employees get to decide what they get paid etc. crazy!
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#11 May 29, 2014
benefits wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you being serious? You obviously haven't checked around at neighboring counties. Our teachers' benefits aren't much to brag about and the get less each year.
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#12 May 29, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>i think hiring more teaching assistants is a good idea, that directly helps the pupil/ teacher ratio. I think it would be great to use some of that retirement money on more teachers, that would help kids! There are loads of people out here working two or three jobs ( for a heck of a lot less money) to support their families. And they don't get the summer off or 4 weeks of some type of holiday break during the months ( 9) they do work. Honey, that old "valuing" education story just don't get it anymore. If you don't like it here, then by all means move. We aren't getting anywhere near what we're paying for now. If you want to get paid like Greeneville City- give us better results. You're getting paid too much for the results we 're getting now!!!!
There may be loads of people out here working two or three jobs for a heck of a lot less money, but those people for the most part haven't invested in their education. If I drop out of high school or college then I can expect to have to work multiple jobs to support myself. I understand that in this economy many college grads are having trouble finding work, but their chances of finding work is considerably higher than non college grads, and the jobs they find are usually higher paying. Unfortunately in this area there are many people who want to compare their salaries with teachers and feel that their pay should be comparable. A more realistic comparison would be to compare a teacher in Greene County with a Master's degree with a teacher in Johnson City, Greeneville City, or Washington County. Kingsport. Maryville. Blount County. Morristown. Go ahead and figure in benefits also. That just makes the discrepancy bigger. I don't apologize. I will stick by my assessment that the majority in Greene County do not value education. Why would you suggest I move? I could suggest the same for you. If you don't like that property tax was raised then why are you complaining? You can also move to where property taxes are lower. Wait. Where would that be?
really

Greeneville, TN

#13 May 30, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers are beginning to get on this tax payer's last nerve. I am sick of hearing their pay woes. 9 month jobs with every kind of holiday in between!! Really?
Kat

Johnson City, TN

#14 May 30, 2014
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers are beginning to get on this tax payer's last nerve. I am sick of hearing their pay woes. 9 month jobs with every kind of holiday in between!! Really?
If it is such a easy job with lavish benefits why don't you become a teacher?
fresh fruit

Charlotte, NC

#16 May 30, 2014
Release wrote:
<quoted text>
Your reply wasn't to me, but I wouldn't be a teacher for anything. As far as your comment about comparing Greene Counties teachers pay to other counties, that could be said about any job in this county. I am also college educated. Teachers in Greene County have a lot better benefits than I do. Their insurance is a lot better than mine. I could make more money moving myself. Bottom line is, it is your choice to stay or go. I'm sure they discussed your salary with you when you were hired. You can't actually expect teachers salaries to be brought up with other counties teachers salaries, without bringing the other jobs in this county up to the same pay as other counties. That is the only way what your wanting to happen can happen. Tax money is the only way teachers get paid. Most people in this county barely make enough to get by. I would like to make more also, but I just try to stay happy. Good Luck
You make a good argument. Salaries are lower in Greene County, not just in education. But there shouldn't be such a discrepancy in pay even between the city and the county. Education is the building block to future success and if we don't invest in education you can't expect the future to improve. Will paying teachers more money make them a better teacher? Not necessarily. But ask any teacher and I guarantee that most, if not all, pay for teaching materials out of their own pockets. They also use their own money making sure students have necessary materials to be successful. I personally know of at least one teacher in Johnson City who spent more than two thousand dollars in one year to improve her classroom atmosphere and but clothing, materials, and Christmas presents for children in her class. Teachers are among the most generous people because they see the needs of these children first hand. Do the children benefit from generous teachers like this? How can they not.
resident

Maggie Valley, NC

#17 May 30, 2014
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you figure 9 months? It's not like it use to be. I talked to a teacher the other day. They got out on May 23 and have county wide in service on August 1st. Is that three months? Maybe you need to go back to school and learn math over. Plus they have to do days during the summer. Yes they get breaks but so do many companies. How about bank employees who are of every holiday?
Teachers are under paid and under appreciated especially by their administration
long while

Greeneville, TN

#18 May 30, 2014
fresh fruit wrote:
<quoted text>
You make a good argument. Salaries are lower in Greene County, not just in education. But there shouldn't be such a discrepancy in pay even between the city and the county. Education is the building block to future success and if we don't invest in education you can't expect the future to improve. Will paying teachers more money make them a better teacher? Not necessarily. But ask any teacher and I guarantee that most, if not all, pay for teaching materials out of their own pockets. They also use their own money making sure students have necessary materials to be successful. I personally know of at least one teacher in Johnson City who spent more than two thousand dollars in one year to improve her classroom atmosphere and but clothing, materials, and Christmas presents for children in her class. Teachers are among the most generous people because they see the needs of these children first hand. Do the children benefit from generous teachers like this? How can they not.
No matter what you do for a living in Greeneville and Greene County, you know what the pay is basically going to be. If you want the big bucks, move to other areas. Otherwise, shut up and get to work on the job you chose. I wonder how the teachers would feel if people who work at other businesses suddenly wanted to raise taxes to put more money in their pockets? Just in case no one has noticed, the world as well as us locally are having it pretty rough. Now if the economy picks up and tax payers can afford raises okay but that has not been the case for a long while.
long while

Greeneville, TN

#19 May 30, 2014
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you figure 9 months? It's not like it use to be. I talked to a teacher the other day. They got out on May 23 and have county wide in service on August 1st. Is that three months? Maybe you need to go back to school and learn math over. Plus they have to do days during the summer. Yes they get breaks but so do many companies. How about bank employees who are of every holiday?
Teachers are under paid and under appreciated especially by their administration
Not buying it, sorry. My husband and I work six day weeks at 12 hour shifts and we only get rotating holidays off. By the way we both have college degrees. Supervisors in this town are so under paid and over worked.
Huh

Jonesborough, TN

#20 May 30, 2014
Kat wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear violins in the background. Please share with us what other professions a man or women can( factually) make more money doing in this county ( and yes, be as educated as you are). You've bought into the kool- aid like all other teachers. Jobs making as much as a teacher in this town, with all the time off just aren't there. If there are any- I can guarantee you they work year round,and get fewer paid holidays, not as many benefits AND as good a retirement. My cousin said she won't have to teach/work her last year because she has accumulated that many sick days! You won't find that in ant other profession! Not only will she get paid and not have to go to work, but she said the system will have to pay another person to teach her class! Oh,and she said she will get a big bonus too. She is very happy with her perks.
fresh fruit

Charlotte, NC

#21 May 31, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>I hear violins in the background. Please share with us what other professions a man or women can( factually) make more money doing in this county ( and yes, be as educated as you are). You've bought into the kool- aid like all other teachers. Jobs making as much as a teacher in this town, with all the time off just aren't there. If there are any- I can guarantee you they work year round,and get fewer paid holidays, not as many benefits AND as good a retirement. My cousin said she won't have to teach/work her last year because she has accumulated that many sick days! You won't find that in ant other profession! Not only will she get paid and not have to go to work, but she said the system will have to pay another person to teach her class! Oh,and she said she will get a big bonus too. She is very happy with her perks.
Instead of me listing other professions a man or woman can (factually) make more money in this country (and yes be as educated as a teacher), why don't you list the professions that offer less pay with a comparable education as a teacher. It seems you are the kool-aid drinker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darrell Stills Jr. 7 min Hmmm 1
dead beat dads (Jan '14) 30 min karmassuchab 20
Angus-Palm /Worthington (Jun '15) 1 hr been there doing ... 19
ALERT -Lords prayer CHANGED 1 hr Camilla Weber 15
no 1 hr Leonardo 92
WE are living in the LAST DAYS! 1 hr wow 5
jamie morgan (Jun '12) 1 hr karmassuchab 11
Why cant people tell the truth? 9 hr z0neCrew 98
Wreck on 107 cutoff 21 hr Dewey 66

Greeneville Jobs