New Life Coming For Flag

May 7, 2013 Full story: The Greenville Sun 37

Sun Photo by O.J. Early At the direction of owner Scott M. Niswonger, the first steps were taken this morning in a process designed to repaint, repair and relight the long-familiar electrical U.S. flag atop the former First National Bank building in downtown Greeneville.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Why So Serious...”

Since: Dec 12

Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z A

#22 May 8, 2013
OUTLAW RACER wrote:
<quoted text>The exact descriptions are HOMOPHOBIA and XENOPHOBIA! And the beat goes on!
Don't be usin dem dere big words boy... we ain't afeered of no xylophones...

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#23 May 9, 2013
whothehellcares- wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be usin dem dere big words boy... we ain't afeered of no xylophones...
Correctly, fear of xylophones is XYLOPHOBTA! Glad you're not afeared.
lavinia warren

Henderson, NC

#24 May 9, 2013
Tom Thumb wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather see renovations to the bulidings he owns downtown than the flag.
Greeneville could have both, couldn't it? The stock market is roaring ahead, there's money (Scott's money) to spend.

BUFFALO, NY

#25 May 9, 2013
Just me wrote:
Waste of money and it looks stupid.
The money issue is moot--Niswonger is paying and it is HIS money. Regarding the flag's appearance, beauty is the eye of the beholder.
barbra walters state

Macon, GA

#26 May 10, 2013
Walters State wrote:
Put the people at Walters State in charge of the sign and their hired "expert historians" will conclude that the sign and building have no importance and that Greeneville will grow if the sign and bank building are removed to make a park and flower bed.
My very best friend Suzanne W G tells me the bank's electric flag is being saved because it was once used as a signal during the Civil War (American), to show when Greeneville had changed hands (sides) yet again, for one or more of the 26 times or something it did change sides, or sides were changed for it. I think she's dealing with half a deck. Maybe it was the American Revolution. One if by land, two if by air. That sort of thing. Scott is very interested in history, you know. I find her theory a little dubious but she knows a lot about Greeneville and showbiz and hardware and wiring, so who knows. Keep on trucking, Walters State, Keep on Trucking.
Who knows

Greeneville, TN

#27 May 10, 2013
barbra walters state wrote:
<quoted text>
My very best friend Suzanne W G tells me the bank's electric flag is being saved because it was once used as a signal during the Civil War (American), to show when Greeneville had changed hands (sides) yet again, for one or more of the 26 times or something it did change sides, or sides were changed for it. I think she's dealing with half a deck. Maybe it was the American Revolution. One if by land, two if by air. That sort of thing. Scott is very interested in history, you know. I find her theory a little dubious but she knows a lot about Greeneville and showbiz and hardware and wiring, so who knows. Keep on trucking, Walters State, Keep on Trucking.
I guess that the electric flag must be a symbol for a real flag that was flown from the same spot, since there was no electricity back then. Greeneville was a very divided town during the Civil War. This area was once part of North Carolina, which seceded from the Union, but it also had no cotton and very few slaves, so many weren't sympathetic to the Southern cause.
John Jonz

Greeneville, TN

#28 May 10, 2013
It will a great draw for tourism.
Jimbo

Greeneville, TN

#29 May 11, 2013
John Jonz wrote:
It will a great draw for tourism.
Are yu saying people will drive to Greeneville to see an electric flag?
horse

United States

#30 May 11, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
sure. the partnership and main street are counting on it.
Jimbo

Greeneville, TN

#31 May 11, 2013
horse wrote:
<quoted text>
sure. the partnership and main street are counting on it.
Well since the partnership extensively promoted a grocery store with a flag raising, high school chorus, and local tv stations, you my friend are probally right.

BUFFALO, NY

#32 May 11, 2013
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
As unrealistic as it may sound, probably. Another interesting observation--what will said people DO in deserted downtown Greeneville after the looking at the flag at night (best viewing) besides drive home?
pink stationery

Nickelsville, VA

#33 May 11, 2013
OUTLAW RACER wrote:
<quoted text>As unrealistic as it may sound, probably. Another interesting observation--what will said people DO in deserted downtown Greeneville after the looking at the flag at night (best viewing) besides drive home?
said people can preach on the courthouse square, dance a jig, walk the empty sidewalks, pledge allegiance to the flag of the old bank building and to the money for which it stands, tell a joke or two, howl at the moon, whatever you can do in greeneville without a permit before you're arrested for doing it without a permit. no loitering though, absolutely no loitering.
greenstreet

Leary, GA

#34 Jul 5, 2013
OUTLAW RACER wrote:
Anyone want to wager against the restored flag 'miraculously' debuting on 07/04/13?
so, didja make any money?
Cha Ching

Greeneville, TN

#35 Jul 5, 2013
greenstreet wrote:
<quoted text>
Today is the first business day after the event, and the cash registers are already singing.

BUFFALO, NY

#37 Jul 5, 2013
greenstreet wrote:
<quoted text>
No one on Topix or elsewhere would bet against a sure thing.
reality

Knoxville, TN

#38 Jul 5, 2013
mr obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
No...well, not at first. That will come a little later after they (Mexicanos) are offended
itsnot the mexicans who are taking over. they do occupy certain niches but the coquerer will be the mid-easterners. they will and are destroying our country and will turn it into a cesspool like they have done their own country. they bring bath salts and such things and send the wealth they aquire here back to their country.
j johns

Kingsport, TN

#39 Jul 11, 2013
Is that flag backwards? I mean I love the American flag as much as any redblooded Georgia-Carolina boy, but why are we seeing the mirror image, the backside, the reverse, the something....was that intentional or just a helpless sign company's statement.... and l.e.d. lights? I thought the old one had bulbs, but maybe I'm mistaken. The old one was backwards, too, I suppose. Oh well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wreck on Erwin hwy 11 min Southern Lady 2
Gabe Vaught 35 min Inquiring Minds 20
***** last post wins ***** 36 min z0neCrew 949
Nick Fillers not a saint..... 1 hr RedChevelle 18
Plus mark 3rd shift 1 hr Hater 1
Crossfit Arcane 1 hr Wowzers 9
Amy Hale arrested second time in a month 1 hr oolfriend 7
Eddie Jennings 1 hr Really 15
What is your favorite quote? 4 hr z0neCrew 14
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 4 hr Tom 6,663
wheel tax 5 hr z0neCrew 113
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl