Useless trivia: "IN GOD WE TRUST,' o...

Useless trivia: "IN GOD WE TRUST,' on U.S. coinage

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#1 Oct 2, 2012
First appeared on then-new 2-cent coin issued in 1864.
Then Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase, pressured Congress to add a religious motto to American coins.
'In God We Trust,' was a compromise 3rd choice. First two choices were:'Our Country; our God;' and 'God, our Trust.'
By the end of 1865, Congress authorized permission to engrave the motto on coins of nearly all denominations.
Theodore Roosevelt (a very devout Christian) as president attempted in 1907 to remove the motto because of a number of 'sacrilegious' puns made throughout the nation. Examples:'In gold we trust;' In God we trust--all others pay cash.' Roosevelt obviously failed bringing down a storm of criticism from ministers.
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#2 Oct 4, 2012
First of all, the Government doesn't believe in God than most. They use the word "God" to deter the citizens.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#3 Oct 5, 2012
theangryguy wrote:
First of all, the Government doesn't believe in God than most. They use the word "God" to deter the citizens.
Could you elaborate on that? The U.S. Constitution was designed to be secular, not favoring any one religion over another. Am I missing something?
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#4 Oct 5, 2012
No!
butch

Johnson City, TN

#5 Oct 5, 2012
Religious discussion serves as a distraction, allowing tyranny to exist without the criticism which would result without the distraction.
As such, religion is a fertile issue in propaganda espoused by tyrants.
If history is part of God's plan, then people can ignore the actions of tyrants, noting that God is responsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greene county high schools into one??? 25 min John Deere greenback 9
America’s fake news headquarters 43 min allbymyself 21
AntiTrump FBI Agent fired over role in Clinton ... 2 hr Johnson 11
John Deere background 3 hr Curious 5
PLEASE help me! 3 hr told you so 17
Uhh-ohhhhh! 3 hr Trumpisreallytranny 23
Is Pre paid electric cheaper 5 hr Gabby 6

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance