First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Then What

Johnson City, TN

#41 Apr 3, 2012
As other posters have stated, Walters State's Greeneville extension is in complete disarray. It needs improvements in the worst way. If that money comes from Mr. Niswonger or from the state it sounds like it is much needed. My confusion on the house is this- if it is such an important part of our heritage why doesn't anybody visit it or even know the history of it before it is scheduled to be demolished? It sounds to me like the house is just an idol being used to rally against Walters State and Scott Niswonger.
My thinking

Smyrna, TN

#42 Apr 3, 2012
E.B."Barney" Smith, the father of E.B."Benny" Smith the doctor, tore down 5 or 6 old houses next to and behind the Walters State house about 40 some years ago to build the Spencer Square Shopping Center, just to the left of the college. Maybe we could bring back all of those too. Boy, we sure have missed them. The town hasn't been the same without them. How about those old houses that A. Clarence Broyles tore down to build the Shopping Center across from the Post Office on Summer Street? What about the ones that John M. Jones tore down to build the Greeneville Sun?
teardown capital

Bennettsville, SC

#43 Apr 3, 2012
My thinking wrote:
E.B."Barney" Smith, the father of E.B."Benny" Smith the doctor, tore down 5 or 6 old houses next to and behind the Walters State house about 40 some years ago to build the Spencer Square Shopping Center, just to the left of the college. Maybe we could bring back all of those too. Boy, we sure have missed them. The town hasn't been the same without them. How about those old houses that A. Clarence Broyles tore down to build the Shopping Center across from the Post Office on Summer Street? What about the ones that John M. Jones tore down to build the Greeneville Sun?
I used to think Morristown was the teardown capital of Tennessee, but Greeneville is roaring to the front. Perhaps some alternative tourism is in order. Careful accurate guides to what used to be here, what replaced it, who destroyed it. Money made from it. Lost (for no good reason) Greeneville.
Improvements

Nashville, TN

#44 Apr 3, 2012
Then What wrote:
As other posters have stated, Walters State's Greeneville extension is in complete disarray. It needs improvements in the worst way. If that money comes from Mr. Niswonger or from the state it sounds like it is much needed. My confusion on the house is this- if it is such an important part of our heritage why doesn't anybody visit it or even know the history of it before it is scheduled to be demolished? It sounds to me like the house is just an idol being used to rally against Walters State and Scott Niswonger.
If improvements are needed what is the point to destroying the 150+ year old Jones house. The improvements can be made and the house can remain where it is.

From what I understand the location of the house will not figure in the needed improvements. The location of the house will be used as something of a decorative flower garden according to my understanding.
Then What

Johnson City, TN

#45 Apr 3, 2012
It would be torn down because the house would be as meaningful to WSCC as it is to Greeneville. I doubt very many people knew anything about the house other than it had pretty flowers behind it before all of this. I have never seen a school group take a trip there. If it is so important to our heritage where is the educational experience. I'm fairly certain an updated WSCC campus will educate more local students than the house ever has.
Improvements

Nashville, TN

#46 Apr 3, 2012
Opinions differ, but destruction is final.
pronto tonto

Nickelsville, VA

#47 Apr 3, 2012
Then What wrote:
It would be torn down because the house would be as meaningful to WSCC as it is to Greeneville. I doubt very many people knew anything about the house other than it had pretty flowers behind it before all of this. I have never seen a school group take a trip there. If it is so important to our heritage where is the educational experience. I'm fairly certain an updated WSCC campus will educate more local students than the house ever has.
We could have long philosophical talks about "heritage" and "educational experience" but we probably won't. The George Jones house will be torn down because the architect and the college and the developer of the educational corridor plan to tear it down. They could plan and design otherwise, but for reasons unknown they choose the teardown.
Butterbean

Julian, NC

#48 Apr 3, 2012
Nobody came forward to purchase and move it. It would seem interested parties would try to hold fundraisers to move the house rather than tear it down. Alas, that would take work & it's easier to get on here being a keyboard warrior than coming up with productive ideas to benefit the house, community, college, downtown, etc
red beans and rice

Oxford, NC

#49 Apr 3, 2012
Butterbean wrote:
Nobody came forward to purchase and move it. It would seem interested parties would try to hold fundraisers to move the house rather than tear it down. Alas, that would take work & it's easier to get on here being a keyboard warrior than coming up with productive ideas to benefit the house, community, college, downtown, etc
With conclusions like that you might get a job teaching logic at WSCC. What takes work is for WSCC to spend some of its money on redesigning the educational corridor. It also takes more than work. It takes imagination and vision to see the house is worth saving and using, where it is.
Yes

Elizabethton, TN

#50 Apr 4, 2012
red beans and rice wrote:
<quoted text>
With conclusions like that you might get a job teaching logic at WSCC. What takes work is for WSCC to spend some of its money on redesigning the educational corridor. It also takes more than work. It takes imagination and vision to see the house is worth saving and using, where it is.
It is the property of WSCC and no citizan has the authority to tell another citizan what to do with their property. I am glad this is the case, otherwise people would be telling me which trees I can and cannot cut down in my yard, or that it is wrong to kill weeds as they are native to this area.

We have freedom in America and we have to take the bad with the good.
Ben

Jefferson City, TN

#51 Jul 9, 2013
Wasn't that George Jones house tied with the late country singer aka "The Possum?"
rob

Johnson City, TN

#52 Jul 9, 2013
walter state is run and managed by a bunch of self centered communists. who only see money signs. no the welfare of the student. Sad when they tell a veteran he cannot qualify for federal finance aid. because of a mistake that happened 25 years ago.
antrim

Henderson, NC

#53 Aug 25, 2013
My thinking wrote:
what's happened to mr doughty's cabin on north main next to where he used to live? looks gone to me....where? why?
antrim cabin mia

Batesburg, SC

#54 Aug 26, 2013
antrim wrote:
<quoted text>
what's happened to mr doughty's cabin on north main next to where he used to live? looks gone to me....where? why?
take a look on N Main---it's gone---disappeared---anybody know anything?
theangryguy

Johnson City, TN

#55 Aug 28, 2013
Great Point wrote:
So if a student from Jonesboro or Telford or points east wants to go to a community college we should wish them well to go to Morristown instead of bringing their money here. I know lots of high school seniors want to get out of the house but do not want to go to a four year institution right away. Sure would be nice to bring them here, rent an apartment and spend their money in Greeneville.
YES AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED AT TUSCULUM COLLEGE! THOSE APARTMENTS ON CAMPUS THAT HOUSE THOSE OUT-OF-TOWN STUDENTS! THEY ARE TROUBLE MAKERS AND DRUGGIES! THEY STIR UP TROUBLE ON AND OFF CAMPUS! THEY BRING THEIR GANG CRAP HERE AND WE DON'T WANT THAT! THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO BRING MONEY INTO GREENEVILLE, FOR ONE, HAVE A MORE BETTER FAIR WHEN THEY COME TO TOWN, HAVE A MALL BUILT HERE, BRING IN TOYS ARE US STORE, OTHER DEPARTMENT STORES BUT, THAT WILL NOT HAPPEN BECAUSE WAL-MART WILL NOT LET ANY OTHER STORE COME IN BECAUSE OF COMPETITION! THERE ARE OTHER FORMS OF DOING THINGS, GREENEVILLE IS JUST TOO LAZY TO THINK ABOUT IT, INSTEAD, THEY WANT TO SPEND MORE MONEY IN KNOCKING DOWN NICE HOMES AND EMPTY COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS AND BUILD BIGGER BUILDINGS THAT MAKES NO SENSE TO BUILD!
Karl Ryn

Spruce Pine, NC

#56 Aug 28, 2013
rob wrote:
walter state is run and managed by a bunch of self centered communists. who only see money signs. no the welfare of the student. Sad when they tell a veteran he cannot qualify for federal finance aid. because of a mistake that happened 25 years ago.
Sounds like a bunch of capitalists, not communists if they only see money signs. I guess you are the veteran who wants another government handout. Who's the communist? You definitely need some college.
great scott

Kingsport, TN

#57 Aug 15, 2014
hard hat wrote:
<quoted text>
It's about construction money honey. You know, contractors and subcontractors. Pals. 9 mil in federal stimulus and 2 mil in Scott's matching, demolish everything you can, put parking somewhere maybe over at Jeffers or that old church and let the building bucks roll. I want the roofing contract. that looks like a good one. General Shale probably i'm guessing likes the idea of all those millions of bricks. Drainage? no problem
Aren't Scott and Haslam (the pilot and the pilot flying J team) the greatest. No money to repurpose the mid nineteenth century George Jones house and garden for the college but plenty of money for construction prettification. I hope there's money leftover for monuments to both of them. Monuments featuring trucks, truck drivers, gas pumps and $92 million in fines. WSCC could hold a contest. Design the best monument for Scott and the Gov. Win big money.

BEGIN QUOTE The $1 million Tennessee Department of Transportation grant will fund the development of new walkways at the site of a new 104,000 square-foot building currently under construction at the Greeneville campus. The walkways will connect to entrances and sidewalks around the campus as well as to the Greeneville Historical Walkway.

“These types of projects strengthen our communities,” Haslam said at the press conference.

“We want Tennessee to continue to be the very best place to live, work and raise a family, and projects like these are key to making that a reality,” Haslam also said.

Grant funds will also be used to improve safety through the enhancement of crosswalks on Main and College streets; install pedestrian lighting; and add a bus stop at the campus for the NET Trans system.

“This grant will benefit not only Walters State students but also visitors to downtown Greeneville,” said Walters State president Dr. Wade McCamey.

“They will have better and safer access to the Greeneville campus and other points of interest in downtown,“ he also said.

Walters State and the Town of Greeneville were co-applicants for the grant. Local businessman and philanthropist Scott Niswonger provided the required matching funds.

“We are extremely grateful to Scott for his vision, leadership and commitment to improving this campus for our students and this community,” said McCamey. END QUOTE
Well

Kingsport, TN

#58 Aug 16, 2014
All you highly educated wannabees. are giving WSCC hell? It has a 16% graduation rate, and I graduated " Magna Cum Laude" If you could speak Latin, which your dumbass can't, means 'with great honors'. You couldn't make it; I'm so-so sorry; that you are stupid!

I am about to graduate Tusculum, where you will never do anything but mow grass...If you are lucky! IDIOTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I get on topix 1 hr Trunketeer 39
Illegal Window Tint #1 Priority for Sheriff Han... 1 hr Tommy 21
Where is the Jonesboro Flash? 3 hr Kohlrabi 31
Carrie at the Bean Barn 3 hr Jerome 23
Wjhl news 8 hr that azzhole 3
Stevie Scarlett 8 hr Needtoknow 7
Tyler Boyd?? (Apr '11) 9 hr tlmfb 3
What happened to Sweet CeCe's 11 hr Trunketeer 28
wreck 14 hr Trunketeer 14

High Wind Warning for Greene County was issued at November 23 at 2:48AM CST