Cut Funding to Walters State

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#1 Mar 31, 2012
The state should cut some of the funding to Walters State. If they have 20 million to spend on a park to make things pretty, I do not want my tax dollars going to them. If the Governor is looking for a place to save money, start with Walters State.
Michelle

Greeneville, TN

#2 Mar 31, 2012
You're right. The government should allot the money to all the other fine establishments in Greeneville. Which would you pick? Wal-Mart? McDonalds? No, someone as intelligent as you probably supports local dumps like The Bean Barn.
Park

Denver, NC

#3 Mar 31, 2012
The governor is building a Knoxville City Park named after him, Pilot Park on Lakeshore campus, I heard.
Lakeshore is in the process of closing.
How Is Bliss

Johnson City, TN

#4 Mar 31, 2012
So what is the difference between Walters State spending millions on their campus and the beloved University of Tennessee spending millions on their campus? Colleges are like businesses. They have to adapt and improve to stay attractive to prospective students. If Walters State wants to remain relevant they have to impress students that visit the campus. When Greeneville High School has a nicer campus than the local community college it is time to upgrade.
Tocky Rop

Nashville, TN

#5 Mar 31, 2012
What? I thought most of my beloved UT's money went to football. Who cares about beautification and academics? This is football country!
UT Grad

Smyrna, TN

#6 Mar 31, 2012
Tocky Rop wrote:
What? I thought most of my beloved UT's money went to football. Who cares about beautification and academics? This is football country!
Just to correct your stupidity, I would like for you to check out U.T.Knoxville 2009 football expenditures. I don't have any more recent.

Total football revenue for 2009:$56,593,946
Total football expense for 2009:$17,357,345
Total profit for football 2009:$39,236,601

The football program keeps up the other sports that lose money like women's volleyball and rowing, and also contributes over $10,000,000 to other university projects. Yes, it profits about 40 million dollars a year, so I don't believe "most of (your) beloved UT money went to football."
Tocky Rop

Nashville, TN

#7 Mar 31, 2012
Haha! Got someone riled and got a respone! Score!
Pearly Bruce

Washington, DC

#8 Mar 31, 2012
Tocky Rop wrote:
Haha! Got someone riled and got a respone! Score!
Tocky Rop, you went and got hit in the head too many times playing for that team of yours.
Rocky Rop

Nashville, TN

#9 Mar 31, 2012
Pearly Bruce wrote:
<quoted text>
Tocky Rop, you went and got hit in the head too many times playing for that team of yours.
Ya think?
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#10 Mar 31, 2012
How Is Bliss wrote:
So what is the difference between Walters State spending millions on their campus and the beloved University of Tennessee spending millions on their campus? Colleges are like businesses. They have to adapt and improve to stay attractive to prospective students. If Walters State wants to remain relevant they have to impress students that visit the campus. When Greeneville High School has a nicer campus than the local community college it is time to upgrade.
Is creating a good educational program not enough to attract students? Will the spending of the 20 million make the students 20 million dollars smarter?
How is bliss

Johnson City, TN

#11 Mar 31, 2012
It is no about making the students $20,000,000 smarter. It is about staying open. At a certain point schools have to adapt and upgrade their facilities or they close. As I said before, colleges are businesses. Take a look at Lambith College. They did not do enough to stay relevant, lost their SACS accreditation and closed. Walters State is trying to keep students local by having a nice campus and beautiful facilities. A good academic program only goes so far.
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#12 Mar 31, 2012
Walters State already has a show place in Morristown. ETSU is only a few miles up the road. Greeneville already has Tusculum College. ETSU once had extension courses in Greeneville as did Walters State to meet local needs. I still contend that it is not a wise use of Tennessee public funds (taxpayer dollars) to creat another showpiece.
duh

Paducah, KY

#13 Mar 31, 2012
If you build it, they will come. Bring it on! We need something that actually is vibrant in our downtown area and who knows? Maybe our kids will feel proud to attend here and we won't lose ALL our best and brightest to other areas. Greeneville and Greene County has been victim to the "brain drain" for far too long!
hard hat

Saluda, SC

#14 Apr 1, 2012
duh wrote:
If you build it, they will come. Bring it on! We need something that actually is vibrant in our downtown area and who knows? Maybe our kids will feel proud to attend here and we won't lose ALL our best and brightest to other areas. Greeneville and Greene County has been victim to the "brain drain" for far too long!
It's about construction money honey. You know, contractors and subcontractors. Pals. 9 mil in federal stimulus and 2 mil in Scott's matching, demolish everything you can, put parking somewhere maybe over at Jeffers or that old church and let the building bucks roll. I want the roofing contract. that looks like a good one. General Shale probably i'm guessing likes the idea of all those millions of bricks. Drainage? no problem
Drainage

Smyrna, TN

#15 Apr 1, 2012
hard hat wrote:
<quoted text>
It's about construction money honey. You know, contractors and subcontractors. Pals. 9 mil in federal stimulus and 2 mil in Scott's matching, demolish everything you can, put parking somewhere maybe over at Jeffers or that old church and let the building bucks roll. I want the roofing contract. that looks like a good one. General Shale probably i'm guessing likes the idea of all those millions of bricks. Drainage? no problem
You brought up drainage. Doesn't the Big Spring run right through there? It should be easy to have runoff go in the creek.
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#16 Apr 1, 2012
Bricks and mortar along with fancy gardens and walkways complete with monuments to community "leaders" do not an institution of higher learning make. Cut the smoke and mirriors and stress academics if you want something that will substantially improve Greeneville.
Great Point

Johnson City, TN

#17 Apr 1, 2012
So if a student from Jonesboro or Telford or points east wants to go to a community college we should wish them well to go to Morristown instead of bringing their money here. I know lots of high school seniors want to get out of the house but do not want to go to a four year institution right away. Sure would be nice to bring them here, rent an apartment and spend their money in Greeneville.
Concerned

Nashville, TN

#18 Apr 1, 2012
Great Point wrote:
So if a student from Jonesboro or Telford or points east wants to go to a community college we should wish them well to go to Morristown instead of bringing their money here. I know lots of high school seniors want to get out of the house but do not want to go to a four year institution right away. Sure would be nice to bring them here, rent an apartment and spend their money in Greeneville.
From Jonesborough or Telford, no student would rent an appartment in Greeneville to attend Walters State with ETSU so close. Walters State is a two year community college for commuters which is not going to bring the kind of money to Greeneville that a residuntal college would bring.
amo amas amat

Saluda, SC

#19 Apr 1, 2012
Great Point wrote:
The emphasis should be on their education, not on the money they might spend. You want the students to eat lunch at the General Morgan Inn on Main? You want them to pay a G'ville landlord some rent money? Pourquoi?
richard lovelace

United States

#20 Apr 1, 2012
Concerned wrote:
Bricks and mortar along with fancy gardens and walkways complete with monuments to community "leaders" do not an institution of higher learning make. Cut the smoke and mirriors and stress academics if you want something that will substantially improve Greeneville.
Girl can't help it, it's All Fools' Day:

Stone walls do not a prison make, 25
Nor iron bars a cage;
Minds innocent and quiet take
That for an hermitage;
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free, 30
Angels alone, that soar above,
Enjoy such liberty.

Walters State pretty good in their English lit instruction? or are they firmly focused in their mission of classes like "golf course irrigation"...which I agree is very important to our local economy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 34 min Red_Forman 6,767
who is the new forklift driver at psi 1st shift 45 min Sick of Homewreckers 11
wheel tax 51 min EverytimeIturnaround 159
Greene Valley 51 min bigger plan 4
kim toliver 1 hr Family 3
Are you attending the James Carpenter trial? 1 hr want to know 27
Wreck on Erwin hwy 2 hr Reality Check 61
Eddie Jennings 3 hr Gstone voter 69
Fixing the problems with greene county 3 hr question 20
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:11 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:11AM
Which Panthers Free Agents Will Return in 2015?
NBC Sports 6:32 AM
Panthers G.M. on Cam Newton: "We want him here. I want him here"
NBC Sports 3:31 PM
Report: Sal Sunseri to leave Florida State for position with Oakland Raiders
ESPN 8:07 AM
Spygate, 'culture of cheating' vexes ex-GM
Yahoo! Sports10:47 AM
Former Panthers GM wonders if Patriots cheated in their Super Bowl