County sued over Ten Commandments dis...

County sued over Ten Commandments display

There are 137 comments on the Tomahawk Online story from Jan 19, 2011, titled County sued over Ten Commandments display. In it, Tomahawk Online reports that:

Ralph Stewart and the Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed a federal lawsuit in Greeneville last Thursday against Johnson County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tomahawk Online.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
DeeDee

Kingsport, TN

#1 Jan 19, 2011
Ridiculous.
2H ina HB

Fort Campbell, TN

#2 Jan 20, 2011
I'm not surprised.
concerned

Fort Campbell, TN

#3 Jan 23, 2011
Devil at work
2H ina HB

Fort Campbell, TN

#4 Jan 23, 2011
Overtime,All the time.
Hello

Johnson City, TN

#5 Jan 23, 2011
Seperation of Church and state is a must! If you are going to post parts of the Christian faith, you must post parts of all faiths that makes up this country. Its all or nothing. So let it be nothing and keep your religion where it should be. At home. And that should be enough.
WHAT

Hendersonville, TN

#6 Jan 23, 2011
whos doing the suing
Tammy

United States

#7 Jan 23, 2011
Hello wrote:
Seperation of Church and state is a must! If you are going to post parts of the Christian faith, you must post parts of all faiths that makes up this country. Its all or nothing. So let it be nothing and keep your religion where it should be. At home. And that should be enough.
I they have hing in court houses for years, why is it a problem just in the last few years, could be people having nothing better to do, I mean this time couldn't be used better helping the homeless, the elderly, and abused children, no this time and money has to be wasted on fighting over something that this country was built on!
In God We Trust

Murfreesboro, TN

#8 Jan 23, 2011
Hello wrote:
Seperation of Church and state is a must! If you are going to post parts of the Christian faith, you must post parts of all faiths that makes up this country. Its all or nothing. So let it be nothing and keep your religion where it should be. At home. And that should be enough.
Why sue over The Ten Commandments when;

*Emblazoned over the Speaker of the House in the US Capitol are the words "In God We Trust."

*The Supreme Court building built in the 1930's has carvings of Moses and the Ten Commandments.

*God is mentioned in stone all over Washington D.C., on its monuments and buildings.

*As a nation, we have celebrated Christmas to commemorate the Savior's birth for centuries.

*Oaths in courtrooms have invoked God from the beginning.

*The founding fathers often quoted the Bible in their writings.

*Every president that has given an inaugural address has mentioned God in that speech.

*Prayers have been said at the swearing in of each president.

*Each president was sworn in on the Bible, saying the words, "So help me God."

*Our national anthem mentions God

*The liberty bell has a Bible verse engraved on it.

*The original constitution of all 50 states mentions God.

*Chaplains have been in the public payroll from the very beginning.

*Our nations birth certificate, the Declaration of Independence, mentions God four times.

*Our currency has IN GOD WE TRUST
Read Here

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Jan 23, 2011
WHAT wrote:
whos doing the suing
http://www.thetomahawk.com/Detail.php... ;
sunshine

United States

#10 Jan 23, 2011
In GOD WE TRUST. That says it all. As long as ignorance n evil is among us their will be issues such as this. We need God above anything. He's all that can save us or our country.
fallsboy

Brentwood, TN

#11 Jan 23, 2011
this country was founded on christianity, if you dont like it here you are free to leave,if all this muslim crap doesnt stop we are gonna have more beheadings and suicide bombers in this country just like europe. if all these anti religion assholes dont like the way we do things here then try taking on the US government, they have IN GOD WE TRUST on our money and yet noby dares try to get that removed, screw the koran muslims buddahs and all the other fake religions, this is a christian country, like it or leave
Hello

Johnson City, TN

#12 Jan 23, 2011
fallsboy wrote:
this country was founded on christianity, if you dont like it here you are free to leave,if all this muslim crap doesnt stop we are gonna have more beheadings and suicide bombers in this country just like europe. if all these anti religion assholes dont like the way we do things here then try taking on the US government, they have IN GOD WE TRUST on our money and yet noby dares try to get that removed, screw the koran muslims buddahs and all the other fake religions, this is a christian country, like it or leave
This country was NOT founded on Christianity. The pilgrims came to this country to get away from forced religion. The Constitution does not mention the word God one time. Our forefathers decided a long, long time ago that no religion should have a place in government or freedom decisions. This is a country created and based on the freedom to choose any religion or none at all. There are more Muslims than there are Christians. So maybe we should force everyone to put their teachings in a court house. Not a good idea right? Religion should be a personal choice and left at home and not forced down everyones throat. I am not a Christian so why should I have to read your beliefs everytime I walk into a building to do business? I don't put a plaque up telling you why should should not be a Christian. Seperation of Church and state is a must and IS what this country is based on! If you want to live under forced religion, move to Irag. You know...the country we are trying to help because they force their religion and ways on others and therefore everyoen suffers.
In God We Trust

Murfreesboro, TN

#13 Jan 23, 2011
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
This country was NOT founded on Christianity. The pilgrims came to this country to get away from forced religion. The Constitution does not mention the word God one time. Our forefathers decided a long, long time ago that no religion should have a place in government or freedom decisions. This is a country created and based on the freedom to choose any religion or none at all. There are more Muslims than there are Christians. So maybe we should force everyone to put their teachings in a court house. Not a good idea right? Religion should be a personal choice and left at home and not forced down everyones throat. I am not a Christian so why should I have to read your beliefs everytime I walk into a building to do business? I don't put a plaque up telling you why should should not be a Christian. Seperation of Church and state is a must and IS what this country is based on! If you want to live under forced religion, move to Irag. You know...the country we are trying to help because they force their religion and ways on others and therefore everyoen suffers.
Being of the non-Christian faith, do you get offended that our currency says In God We Trust?
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Tomball, TX

#14 Jan 23, 2011
We need a statue of The Flying Spaghetti Monster on every courthouse lawn.
fallsboy

Brentwood, TN

#15 Jan 23, 2011
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
This country was NOT founded on Christianity. The pilgrims came to this country to get away from forced religion. The Constitution does not mention the word God one time. Our forefathers decided a long, long time ago that no religion should have a place in government or freedom decisions. This is a country created and based on the freedom to choose any religion or none at all. There are more Muslims than there are Christians. So maybe we should force everyone to put their teachings in a court house. Not a good idea right? Religion should be a personal choice and left at home and not forced down everyones throat. I am not a Christian so why should I have to read your beliefs everytime I walk into a building to do business? I don't put a plaque up telling you why should should not be a Christian. Seperation of Church and state is a must and IS what this country is based on! If you want to live under forced religion, move to Irag. You know...the country we are trying to help because they force their religion and ways on others and therefore everyoen suffers.
i think its time you move overseas
tru american a$$

Franklin, TN

#16 Jan 23, 2011
I think church and government should be put together because both are corrupt and both are full of $hit. and for those who say move to another country I'd love to but in this economy I can't afford to so by all means help me out.
cntryboy

Clover, SC

#17 Jan 24, 2011
Where in the constitution declares us a christian nation? I guess that first amendment thing only applies if you're protestant. Hang up mormon, scientologist, muslim etc stuff and watch the hypocrites freak out. You want freedom on your own terms. Worry more about yourself not everyone else.
Really

Johnson City, TN

#18 Jan 24, 2011
cntryboy wrote:
Where in the constitution declares us a christian nation? I guess that first amendment thing only applies if you're protestant. Hang up mormon, scientologist, muslim etc stuff and watch the hypocrites freak out. You want freedom on your own terms. Worry more about yourself not everyone else.
A country boy with some smarts! Yes!
Really

Johnson City, TN

#19 Jan 24, 2011
In God We Trust wrote:
<quoted text>
Being of the non-Christian faith, do you get offended that our currency says In God We Trust?
If there is a God, I would say he/she/it would be very offended to have their name on something like money that gets shoved into strippers g-strings and used to pay for drugs and prostitution don't you think?
Protest

AOL

#20 Jan 24, 2011
I'd like to protest the protesters!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Afton woman charged in Greene County homicide 14 min BB Board 1
News Crime 36 mins ago 3:05 p.m.Greene County grandm... 15 min BB Board 1
Justin Babb 25 min Justin babb 13
Fake Christians 1 hr ffffffffff 32
Btl 1 hr Stunned 2
What's the best drug to start with? (Jun '15) 1 hr Ohhhh 19
Local drug/whhhooorrre house 1 hr So yeah 1
Atheists 1 hr Heyyyyyyy 46
Smith Arrested for 2 counts Murder 1 hr Tru 58
Indivisible Greene county rally again???? 1 hr Just Saying 18
2 found dead last night in greene county 12 hr Trigger happy 20

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages