Gallatin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

What was the problem? I drove by and thought oh my gosh not in Greeneville. What is going on? I agree ALL citizens should have the right to speak.
TEA PARTIER

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

p l e a s e wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk in circles. You need the county people's money but we should not have any say in how the town we buy from operates??? The city is ran so poorly that I don't know why the county or city people shop here. My money does not come easy and why should I settle for the sorry shops here and less for my hard earned money. Our family actually has been shopping in Knoxville quite a bit. You want our business, bring some shops to Greeneville that is worthy of my hard earned money. If Greeneville goes under, and it appears things are headed in that direction, the first place they might want to look is in the mirror and stop thinking about their reflection and think about what the people -- both city and county -- are saying and wanting.
Hoorah!!!! Someone gets it! The first rule of leadership is that you, the leader, are responsible for everthing that happens or fails to happen. True leadership is not a dictatorship! You hear that WT? Biting the hand of the people that feed you is unwise. I say starve the beast!!! Take your money elsewhere. Statistics show that Greeneville government is overpaid and it got that way because it was allowed by the citizens. Now the people who work for Greeneville government earn much more and have Cadillac benefits that the poor underpaid, unemployed, burdened hourly working stiffs of Greeneville have to support. Go shop somewhere else and the Greeneville Board of Mayor and Aldermen will be forced to cut the fat and exercise some leadership.
Beatnik

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

TEA PARTIER wrote:
<quoted text> Hoorah!!!! Someone gets it! The first rule of leadership is that you, the leader, are responsible for everthing that happens or fails to happen. True leadership is not a dictatorship! You hear that WT? Biting the hand of the people that feed you is unwise. I say starve the beast!!! Take your money elsewhere. Statistics show that Greeneville government is overpaid and it got that way because it was allowed by the citizens. Now the people who work for Greeneville government earn much more and have Cadillac benefits that the poor underpaid, unemployed, burdened hourly working stiffs of Greeneville have to support. Go shop somewhere else and the Greeneville Board of Mayor and Aldermen will be forced to cut the fat and exercise some leadership.
Who can afford to shop our of town? You waste $5 -$10 in gas not the time wasted. One thing you can do is buy your gas outside city limits. Greeneville gets a slice of the state gas tax.
Really

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

p l e a s e wrote:
<quoted text>
You talk in circles. You need the county people's money but we should not have any say in how the town we buy from operates??? The city is ran so poorly that I don't know why the county or city people shop here. My money does not come easy and why should I settle for the sorry shops here and less for my hard earned money. Our family actually has been shopping in Knoxville quite a bit. You want our business, bring some shops to Greeneville that is worthy of my hard earned money. If Greeneville goes under, and it appears things are headed in that direction, the first place they might want to look is in the mirror and stop thinking about their reflection and think about what the people -- both city and county -- are saying and wanting.
So you think people who are not citizens should tell Greeneville officials how to run the city of Greeneville ....because you want a better shopping experience. Unbelievable.

Where does this truped up city versus county , class warfare, have/have not come from...ridiculous.

There is no law that says a restaurant or shop can't open in the county. Go to the next mayor's meeting in mosheim, Tusculum, Baileyton or the county commission meeting and tell mayor Broyles and the other mayors you would like them to open some nice restaurants and shops...you would be laughed out of the room.

You obviously have no clue as to the purpose and role of government if you think it exists to provide you a pleasurable shopping experience
loves clothes and food

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Beatnik wrote:
<quoted text>
Who can afford to shop our of town? You waste $5 -$10 in gas not the time wasted. One thing you can do is buy your gas outside city limits. Greeneville gets a slice of the state gas tax.
We are willing to drive farther to buy things. The Knoxville Malls are great and you can have a great meal as well. Only problem is trying to decide where you are going to eat with so many great restaurants to pick from. We gave up on Greeneville a long time ago to shop for clothes. Don't get us wrong, we would gladly shop and eat in Greeneville if we had better choices. But, until that happens, we will continue to go elsewhere.
Limbaugh Rocks

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think people who are not citizens should tell Greeneville officials how to run the city of Greeneville ....because you want a better shopping experience. Unbelievable.
Where does this truped up city versus county , class warfare, have/have not come from...ridiculous.
There is no law that says a restaurant or shop can't open in the county. Go to the next mayor's meeting in mosheim, Tusculum, Baileyton or the county commission meeting and tell mayor Broyles and the other mayors you would like them to open some nice restaurants and shops...you would be laughed out of the room.
You obviously have no clue as to the purpose and role of government if you think it exists to provide you a pleasurable shopping experience
No I don't think the government should subsidize private business. What the government leaders can do is make it possible or easier (I.e. lower taxes, waive business fees, recruit, etc....) I don't expect WT or Broyles to really know what to do. WT is consumed with power and Broyles knows just enough to get to his office and back home. No I do not think it is the job of the government to provide a pleasurable shopping experience. What I wish is that there were significantly less government and more retail and employment opportunities, but that isn't going to happen with the laughable leaders we have now.
Really

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

loves clothes and food wrote:
<quoted text>
We are willing to drive farther to buy things. The Knoxville Malls are great and you can have a great meal as well. Only problem is trying to decide where you are going to eat with so many great restaurants to pick from. We gave up on Greeneville a long time ago to shop for clothes. Don't get us wrong, we would gladly shop and eat in Greeneville if we had better choices. But, until that happens, we will continue to go elsewhere.
And when Greeneville has a population of 174,000 And a total city/county population of 432,000 like Knoxville and Knox Co., then corporations and entrepreneurs will open nice malls, shops and restaurants because it will be profitable to do so.

Of course everyone here will reminisce about the good ole days when that happens, complin about about traffic, noise, crime, housing prices, tax rates, slum areas, etc....but in the mean time, complain about having to drive to a place like Knoxville to shop and eat out....Greeneville will be here when you decide to come home.
County taxpayer

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

City Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>This is about paying taxes..Here is the breakdown
County Resident- Pays county tax and sales tax along with Federal taxes
City Resident- Pays all of the above and city taxes
Anyway you look at it a city resident pays one more tax than a county resident..Not to mention a city resident gets nothing for its county taxes it pays but we have to pay it..Also check with property assessor over 30% of total property taxes paid to the county come from people who live in Greeneville..This helps fund county schools, roads, police protection, volunteer fire departments annd other services that county residents enjoy that the city residents who help pay for dont get. One last note the sales tax you pay inside city limits also help fund county schools..50% of all sales tax goes to both school systems and then that 50% is broken down based on studet population as it should be..Therefor the county schools receive a larger portion than the city and once again I say as it should be..
For one thing...you pay county taxes because you live in Greeneville, which is in Greene County!! Technically, you live in Greene County. You pay city taxes for the priveledge of living in the city and abiding by their laws. Yes, the sales tax the city collects goes to county schools but it also goes to city schools!! The city residents sales tax goes to roads, police, etc. Do you not ever travel on county roads?? Do you not ever see a County Officer backing up a City Officer on 11E?? I do!! So if someone wants to speak at a city meeting, why not? If a resident of Greeneville wants to speak at a county meeting, why not? We are all in the same boat....trying to make this county a better place to live. People, it's not going to happen unless we all work together.
Really

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Limbaugh Rocks wrote:
<quoted text> No I don't think the government should subsidize private business. What the government leaders can do is make it possible or easier (I.e. lower taxes, waive business fees, recruit, etc....) I don't expect WT or Broyles to really know what to do. WT is consumed with power and Broyles knows just enough to get to his office and back home. No I do not think it is the job of the government to provide a pleasurable shopping experience. What I wish is that there were significantly less government and more retail and employment opportunities, but that isn't going to happen with the laughable leaders we have now.
Finally, someone brings Obama and the stifling business environment he has created for this country into the mix.
Really

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

County taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
For one thing...you pay county taxes because you live in Greeneville, which is in Greene County!! Technically, you live in Greene County. You pay city taxes for the priveledge of living in the city and abiding by their laws. Yes, the sales tax the city collects goes to county schools but it also goes to city schools!! The city residents sales tax goes to roads, police, etc. Do you not ever travel on county roads?? Do you not ever see a County Officer backing up a City Officer on 11E?? I do!! So if someone wants to speak at a city meeting, why not? If a resident of Greeneville wants to speak at a county meeting, why not? We are all in the same boat....trying to make this county a better place to live. People, it's not going to happen unless we all work together.
Why not? Because it's the meeting of the Greeneville board of mayor and alderman, not Greeneville & Greene Co. Board of alderman commissioners and mayors.

If you live in the county why not address your issues with your county commissioner and county mayor? Trust me, they discuss issues with city government. Or is it that some people just want to make spectacles of themselves or don't know the protocol?

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Mosheim Country Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Since those of us who live in the county have to use the city
Have to??? LOL! Nobody is making you use the city.
GVegas exshopper

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Yeah, all of our family shopping is done in JC. There's nothing in Greeneville worth driving in for. Sorry Greeneville, your days are numbered.

Go look at any parking lot at stores in JC - you will find tons of Greene county license plates.
oh man

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Ya know, I never hear anybody say, "Oh Chuckey has a bad drug problem" or "Afton needs jobs", its always referred to as Greeneville. We, even though we might live in horse creek, are collectively Greenevillians. Anything done within the city limits effects everybody in the county and we should all be afforded the right to address the board.. Period.
Really

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

GVegas exshopper wrote:
Yeah, all of our family shopping is done in JC. There's nothing in Greeneville worth driving in for. Sorry Greeneville, your days are numbered.
Go look at any parking lot at stores in JC - you will find tons of Greene county license plates.
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Greeneville Walmart has the same merchandise as the Johnson City Walmart
pipin in

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Mosheim Country Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Since those of us who live in the county have to use the city for our needs we should also be heard and seen. We pay sales taxes that are split between the city and the state, and those of us who have businesses in the city but live in the county also pay our taxes to the city. Many measures that are brought before the city council affect those of us all over Greene County.
I say county residents should begin doing their shopping OUTSIDE of the city limits of Greeneville!!! I wonder how the city leaders would like having their tax revenue go down! Perhaps we should start a campaign to do that!
Think Again

Antioch, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

ruudvonbaron wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to??? LOL! Nobody is making you use the city.
If you use the state highways you have to pass through the city limits. Also, how often has the city start annexed areas of the county sometimes against the will of the people living there?

If memory serves me correctly, Greene County had paid a great deal to develop the Mt. Pleasant Industrial Park prior to it being annexed by Greeneville.
Speak Up

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

butch wrote:
<quoted text>
Sales tax is a tax imposed by the state on businesses. It is not imposed on buyers. While a buyer commonly says "I pay sales tax", that is incorrect.
There is a state sales tax and a LOCAL sales tax.
uh huh

Rockwell, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

pipin in wrote:
<quoted text>
I say county residents should begin doing their shopping OUTSIDE of the city limits of Greeneville!!! I wonder how the city leaders would like having their tax revenue go down! Perhaps we should start a campaign to do that!
Y'all just hatin cause we got the Walmart and Hyperion and the Commons (parkin lot)...and big lots....and co-op ....never happen....quit hatin haters
GETTING HUNGRY

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to burst your bubble, but the Greeneville Walmart has the same merchandise as the Johnson City Walmart
True, but when our family heads out for a day of shopping, Wally World does not meet all our needs. Especially when it comes to clothes. The Wally World clothing lines barely suffer through a few washings before they start to fade or lose their shape. We do buy a lot of items at Wally World but for a day of shopping, until Greeneville gets with this century, we will continue to head out to Johnson City, Knoxville or Asheville where variety is truly the spice of life. And the restaurant choices, I am getting hungry just thinking about going out of town for a day of shopping and EATING.
geez

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

City Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>This is about paying taxes..Here is the breakdown
County Resident- Pays county tax and sales tax along with Federal taxes
City Resident- Pays all of the above and city taxes
Anyway you look at it a city resident pays one more tax than a county resident..Not to mention a city resident gets nothing for its county taxes it pays but we have to pay it..Also check with property assessor over 30% of total property taxes paid to the county come from people who live in Greeneville..This helps fund county schools, roads, police protection, volunteer fire departments annd other services that county residents enjoy that the city residents who help pay for dont get. One last note the sales tax you pay inside city limits also help fund county schools..50% of all sales tax goes to both school systems and then that 50% is broken down based on studet population as it should be..Therefor the county schools receive a larger portion than the city and once again I say as it should be..
What you fail to mention is that the CITY government then throws an additional $5.5 million into the CITY schools budget on top of what sales tax money has been given to the CITY schools. In addition, some county resident are mistaken in thinking that their child is going to become an Einstein by sending little Johnny or Sally to the city schools instead of the county. Therefore they pay additional money to the CITY SCHOOLS. I would say that those parents are wise, if indeed the school system itself was so elite. It is not though.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
randy rodgers dead ? 1 hr Bobby Black 2
A&W Toby Gaby 2 hr TheRealDeal 1
Jr John Boy Bradshaw 2 hr FYI 10
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 hr WTSenior 141,744
sheriff's wife on his county payroll? 5 hr Not a fan 5
U.S Nitrogen/ Austin Powders (Oct '11) 6 hr yankee 146
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 6 hr WOW 8,990
County Clerk - my choice 6 hr no really 16
Lost respect for GPD 9 hr bobbye jr whyte 81
lady i pulled weeds with behind that church tha... 12 hr BongHits4Jaysus 13
good ole boys- lets name them 18 hr BROYLESville King 14
•••
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters