Protestors at Light Office

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last
Downtowner

Fort Campbell, TN

#1 Aug 2, 2011
Drove by earlier today to see people carrying signs protesting "something"... probably WT's new rules about talking at City meetings. Does anyone know who and why ???(Don't think I'll see anything in THE GREENEVILLE SUN about it...)
smarty pants

Murfreesboro, TN

#2 Aug 2, 2011
Were they sitting down in protest? BWWWWWAAAAHAAAAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
city taxpayer

Gallatin, TN

#3 Aug 2, 2011
Downtowner wrote:
Drove by earlier today to see people carrying signs protesting "something"... probably WT's new rules about talking at City meetings. Does anyone know who and why ???(Don't think I'll see anything in THE GREENEVILLE SUN about it...)
It was some people who live in the county that think they should be able to speak at City board meetings..I would welcome them to speak right after they move into the city and start paying city taxes just like I do
Actually

Gallatin, TN

#5 Aug 2, 2011
Jake wrote:
WT wants complete control without people even being able to know what's going on until it's already happened. I, for one, do not support a dictatorship for Greeneville.
You can know what's going on. You just can't express an opinion unless you live in the city limits (which means the decisions actually apply to you).

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#6 Aug 2, 2011
city taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>It was some people who live in the county that think they should be able to speak at City board meetings..I would welcome them to speak right after they move into the city and start paying city taxes just like I do
Since those of us who live in the county have to use the city for our needs we should also be heard and seen. We pay sales taxes that are split between the city and the state, and those of us who have businesses in the city but live in the county also pay our taxes to the city. Many measures that are brought before the city council affect those of us all over Greene County.
Hmmmm

Kingsport, TN

#7 Aug 3, 2011
Mosheim Country Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Since those of us who live in the county have to use the city for our needs we should also be heard and seen. We pay sales taxes that are split between the city and the state, and those of us who have businesses in the city but live in the county also pay our taxes to the city. Many measures that are brought before the city council affect those of us all over Greene County.
Do you also think you should have a voice in Johnson City because you drive up there to eat or shop? That is ridiculous. And you don't HAVE to use the city. You can choose to drive to Morristown or even shop right there in Mosheim. And can you tell me what measures affect you in Greene County? The city board governs the city which includes the city police department, fire department, the city public works, and the rec department. Now you may use the rec department, but the city taxpayers pay for it. Why then would you think you should be able to govern something you don't even have to pay for? Schools, you might say? The city board doesn't govern the schools, they just give them money. IF you have a tuition child and have an issue, then that's covered by the school board, not the mayor and alderman. If the problem is with your business that you chose to locate within the city limits, you can visit town hall with your grievances. If they won't fix it the way you want it, you can choose to locate it somewhere else.

Here's a perfect example. I really disagree with red light cameras and speed cameras. Jonesboro has chosen to install both. Since I don't live in Jonesboro, I don't have a say in the matter. I can choose not to put my business there and I can choose to no longer drive through there. Both Greeneville and Morristown have profited from Jonesboro's choices. They are free to choose, and so am I. And so are you.
Dan

United States

#8 Aug 3, 2011
I do have the right to speak. I live in the county but pay city for electricity, water and sewer and schools. You can not take an elite position and not listen to the citizens who you serve. It's called good customer relations. You should be welcoming their ideas . This is America the last time I checked!
u need an education

Johnson City, TN

#9 Aug 3, 2011
city taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>It was some people who live in the county that think they should be able to speak at City board meetings..I would welcome them to speak right after they move into the city and start paying city taxes just like I do
You city folk need to get some education. Every time us county folk buy anything in the CITY OF GREENEVILLE we ARE PAYING TAXES IN THE CITY!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps we county folk should just drive right on by THE CITY OF GREENEVILLE to do our shopping and go to Johnson City, Morristown, Kingsport or any other surrounding CITY where they will appreciate our money.

Glad I got my education in the county. Common sense is wasted on your city folk.
u need an education

Johnson City, TN

#10 Aug 3, 2011
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you also think you should have a voice in Johnson City because you drive up there to eat or shop? That is ridiculous. And you don't HAVE to use the city. You can choose to drive to Morristown or even shop right there in Mosheim. And can you tell me what measures affect you in Greene County? The city board governs the city which includes the city police department, fire department, the city public works, and the rec department. Now you may use the rec department, but the city taxpayers pay for it. Why then would you think you should be able to govern something you don't even have to pay for? Schools, you might say? The city board doesn't govern the schools, they just give them money. IF you have a tuition child and have an issue, then that's covered by the school board, not the mayor and alderman. If the problem is with your business that you chose to locate within the city limits, you can visit town hall with your grievances. If they won't fix it the way you want it, you can choose to locate it somewhere else.
Here's a perfect example. I really disagree with red light cameras and speed cameras. Jonesboro has chosen to install both. Since I don't live in Jonesboro, I don't have a say in the matter. I can choose not to put my business there and I can choose to no longer drive through there. Both Greeneville and Morristown have profited from Jonesboro's choices. They are free to choose, and so am I. And so are you.
It is so hard to believe how dumb you city folk really are. If county folk stop spending our money in the City of Greeneville then your precious Greeneville High School would not be quite so well funded and this is just ONE example. I have no problem with taking my business elsewhere and if you city folk don't appreciate our money, I am sure the rest of us county folk wouldn't mind traveling a few more miles to shop where we are appreciated. Without people who do not live in the City of Greeneville spending their money there -- well, you do get the picture by now surely. One thing I totally agree with you on, we sure do have the freedom to choose and your attitude will send this shopper to any other city to shop next time. Such snobs!!! By the way you do know -- betting not though -- it was the tobacco farmers who MADE THE CITY OF GREENEVILLE WHAT IT IS TODAY. Read up on your history there fellow.
butch

Johnson City, TN

#11 Aug 3, 2011
u need an education wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time us county folk buy anything in the CITY OF GREENEVILLE we ARE PAYING TAXES IN THE CITY!!!!!!!!!!
Sales tax is a tax imposed by the state on businesses. It is not imposed on buyers. While a buyer commonly says "I pay sales tax", that is incorrect.
Really

United States

#12 Aug 3, 2011
Dan wrote:
I do have the right to speak. I live in the county but pay city for electricity, water and sewer and schools. You can not take an elite position and not listen to the citizens who you serve. It's called good customer relations. You should be welcoming their ideas . This is America the last time I checked!
Do you pay city property taxes? Do you vote in city elections?

And it's hardly an elite position, more of a non ignorant one.
John

United States

#13 Aug 3, 2011
We need leadership that recognizes that we must all work together and let all the people speak rich poor city county gay straight black white.
nazistate

Fort Campbell, TN

#14 Aug 3, 2011
Piss on the "city". More like abandoned building stump town. You can keep davis street and stump town. Be proud of living 4 minutes closer to ghetto than me. While paying a higher tax. Tusculum picks up my trash for free. Why would ANYONE want to live in the city? Unless you're a ghetto mamma behind KFC. I like my cheap 4 acres where they are
Really

United States

#15 Aug 3, 2011
u need an education wrote:
<quoted text>
It is so hard to believe how dumb you city folk really are. If county folk stop spending our money in the City of Greeneville then your precious Greeneville High School would not be quite so well funded and this is just ONE example. I have no problem with taking my business elsewhere and if you city folk don't appreciate our money, I am sure the rest of us county folk wouldn't mind traveling a few more miles to shop where we are appreciated. Without people who do not live in the City of Greeneville spending their money there -- well, you do get the picture by now surely. One thing I totally agree with you on, we sure do have the freedom to choose and your attitude will send this shopper to any other city to shop next time. Such snobs!!! By the way you do know -- betting not though -- it was the tobacco farmers who MADE THE CITY OF GREENEVILLE WHAT IT IS TODAY. Read up on your history there fellow.
What an ignorant post. You think because you shop in a city where you don't live it gives you the right to say how that city should be governed?

I think you should have spent more time in civics class instead of burning up the roads to the Greeneville Commons .
Worthington

Smyrna, TN

#16 Aug 3, 2011
I'm not really understanding the class divide here. City/non-city. It's Greeneville and Greene County, not exactly on the high pedestal of civilized society.

Granted, the argument that although you may drive to Johnson City to go shopping, eating, etc., but get no say in local affairs is valid, the city council there is open to suggestions from Washington County residents. The city council there is more functional and efficient that the real shit-shows we call our local governing councils here.

In such a small town with a depressed economy, our governing bodies should be looking for ways to collaborate together in order to get some tangible reforms going. Although my neighborhood is in the county, I work, shop, go to church, dine out, and use the city's services. We all do. Actions that are made by the board of mayor and alderman affect a majority of the population of the county population as well, so it's only common sense that the values and opinions of county residents should be taken into consideration when legislating.

After all, if it weren't for the population of the surrounding areas, businesses located in the city could not survive with its own population of ~11,000.
u need an education

Johnson City, TN

#17 Aug 3, 2011
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
What an ignorant post. You think because you shop in a city where you don't live it gives you the right to say how that city should be governed?
I think you should have spent more time in civics class instead of burning up the roads to the Greeneville Commons .
Well that sure didn't take long. The Greeneville Commons holds no interest for this country bumpkin. The Greeneville Commons is a prime example of your City mis-management. As far as how the city is governed -- how the city is not governed would be a more correct statement. I'll take Alan Broyles over W.T. "fool" Daniels any day. Are you really going to say that if ALL THE COUNTY PEOPLE STOPPED SHOPPING IN THE CITY OF GREENEVILLE THE CITY COULD SURVIVE? Perhaps your civics class failed to give you the city versus county population ratio? Would educate you more but some of us have to go to work and "learn" something.
John

United States

#18 Aug 3, 2011
Business people better educate city about needing county voices and their money
City Taxpayer

Brentwood, TN

#19 Aug 3, 2011
John wrote:
Business people better educate city about needing county voices and their money
This is about paying taxes..Here is the breakdown

County Resident- Pays county tax and sales tax along with Federal taxes

City Resident- Pays all of the above and city taxes

Anyway you look at it a city resident pays one more tax than a county resident..Not to mention a city resident gets nothing for its county taxes it pays but we have to pay it..Also check with property assessor over 30% of total property taxes paid to the county come from people who live in Greeneville..This helps fund county schools, roads, police protection, volunteer fire departments annd other services that county residents enjoy that the city residents who help pay for dont get. One last note the sales tax you pay inside city limits also help fund county schools..50% of all sales tax goes to both school systems and then that 50% is broken down based on studet population as it should be..Therefor the county schools receive a larger portion than the city and once again I say as it should be..
u need an education

Johnson City, TN

#20 Aug 3, 2011
City Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>This is about paying taxes..Here is the breakdown
County Resident- Pays county tax and sales tax along with Federal taxes
City Resident- Pays all of the above and city taxes
Anyway you look at it a city resident pays one more tax than a county resident..Not to mention a city resident gets nothing for its county taxes it pays but we have to pay it..Also check with property assessor over 30% of total property taxes paid to the county come from people who live in Greeneville..This helps fund county schools, roads, police protection, volunteer fire departments annd other services that county residents enjoy that the city residents who help pay for dont get. One last note the sales tax you pay inside city limits also help fund county schools..50% of all sales tax goes to both school systems and then that 50% is broken down based on studet population as it should be..Therefor the county schools receive a larger portion than the city and once again I say as it should be..
Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid!! This post is just to dumb to respond to past saying you're just stupid.
shop elsewhere

Charlotte, NC

#21 Aug 3, 2011
I buy nearly everything my six person family needs somewhere else besides Greeneville. Kingsport, Johnson City have much more, better service, more restaurant selection, just to name a few. Greeneville is nothing but a redneck, snobbish, pill popping, ner-do-well dwelling bunch of freeloaders. Even Morristown has more and is better to go there. Hell, I've found better in Newport. Greeneville leaders suck and are pretty much clueless as to how to grow, attract retail, and promote the community. I take advantage of the amazing beauty of the County, live there, and biy elsewhere. Try it and you'll be converted too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
crusin in greeneville 8 min unreal 3
A tat on a womans lower back means what? 53 min Booger_ Burns 6
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 1 hr Princess Hey 11,101
J&k pressure washing leaves dog in hot truck 6 hr Hensley's Dog 17
Mark furgason is a piece of (Oct '12) 6 hr Let the truth be ... 19
Heavy traffic drug dealing in South Greene area 7 hr Creekside 2 23
Bus Driver No Summer Pay (Apr '11) 8 hr No-onecarespensacola 49
Idiot in charge! 15 hr curious 46

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages