Not so useless trivia: 'THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!'

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#1 Oct 4, 2012
Authored by Francis Bellamy it was written in 1892.
Was originally intended as a statement of the American public school system's commitment to assimilation of all immigrants.
Prior to WW2 many STATES had passed laws requiring recitation of the pledge in public schools.
Shortly after the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941 Congress codified rules governing civilian display of the flag, and by including the pledge in the display cerememony for the first time.
Inclusion of the phrase,'under God' was added in 1954; it was designed to emphasize America's religiosity( without favoring any particular religion) as opposed to the godlessness of the Soviet Union.
The Knights of Columbus, an influential Catholic laymen's association, was the driving force in the movement to add God to the pledge.
mormon

Elizabethton, TN

#2 Oct 4, 2012
you devil worshiper
Frank

Johnson City, TN

#3 Oct 4, 2012
But, we are NOT one nation under god. The founding fathers specifically insisted on separation of church and state. We need to take the "under god" out. It was added during the hysteria of the communist scare of the mid 50's.
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#4 Oct 4, 2012
Who care? The "flag" sucks and don't mean a thing to me.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#5 Oct 5, 2012
theangryguy wrote:
Who care? The "flag" sucks and don't mean a thing to me.
Yet you continue to reside in this country under this flag utilizing your Constitutional 1st Amendment rights to make statements like the above. Fascinating!
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#6 Oct 5, 2012
OUTLAW RACER wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you continue to reside in this country under this flag utilizing your Constitutional 1st Amendment rights to make statements like the above. Fascinating!
I'm not here for the flag, and as far as our rights, we are losing them. I'm here because I was born,not by choice. America has gotten so bad, it's not UNITED we stand, it's EVERY man for himself!

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#7 May 20, 2013
Brought this back for Memorial Day, 2013. For those who served.
wow

Johnson City, TN

#8 May 22, 2013
Who ever doen't like America and what we stand for can rot in hell with the others. You need to move back from where your illegal parents came from honestly. Bless yalls heart!! Also in God we trust needs to be on everything and we need to pledge allegiance to the flag. That is what america was founded on but today the world is the way it is becuase everyone strays away from those morals and the good LORD.
LOST

Baltimore, MD

#9 May 22, 2013
Frank wrote:
But, we are NOT one nation under god. The founding fathers specifically insisted on separation of church and state. We need to take the "under god" out. It was added during the hysteria of the communist scare of the mid 50's.
"Seperation of Church and State" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. That was decided by a Court. The "Founding Fathers" that you bring up, thus, were in Judges robes, not signing our founding documents.
Copy and Paste

Greeneville, TN

#10 May 22, 2013
LOST wrote:
<quoted text>
"Seperation of Church and State" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. That was decided by a Court. The "Founding Fathers" that you bring up, thus, were in Judges robes, not signing our founding documents.
The specific wording may not be there, but the concept of separation of church and state is in the Constitution.
Copy and Paste

Greeneville, TN

#11 May 22, 2013
LOST wrote:
<quoted text>
"Seperation of Church and State" does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. That was decided by a Court. The "Founding Fathers" that you bring up, thus, were in Judges robes, not signing our founding documents.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
LOST

Baltimore, MD

#12 May 22, 2013
Copy and Paste wrote:
<quoted text>The specific wording may not be there, but the concept of separation of church and state is in the Constitution.
Wrong. The "Seperation" is that the Government can't promote and require people to observe one religion over another (like the Anglican Church in England in the 15th cent. for example), not that there can be no recognization of, or connection between, the government and religious entities. See, the part we miss is the "prohibiting the free exercise thereof" part of that ammendment. That is the part that is being swept under the table by all of the political correctness that is ruining this country. The structure that is used in those sentences leads itself to the meaning of: the government can't control religion in this country, and also has no right to prohibit expression of religious beliefs or lack thereof.
thinking out loud

Greeneville, TN

#14 May 22, 2013
Who cares, if you don't like it don't say it, the world isn't going to end as we know just cause.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#15 May 22, 2013
thinking out loud wrote:
Who cares, if you don't like it don't say it, the world isn't going to end as we know just cause.
One doesn't 'say,' the Pledge; one 'recites,' it.
thinking out loud

Greeneville, TN

#16 May 22, 2013
OUTLAW RACER wrote:
<quoted text>One doesn't 'say,' the Pledge; one 'recites,' it.
Again who cares ... if you don't like it dont SAY the words that you find offensive ,
and I don't recite the pledge I make up my own words and Say what I want , while you may recite the brain washed words that you were taught.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#17 May 23, 2013
thinking out loud wrote:
<quoted text>
Again who cares ... if you don't like it dont SAY the words that you find offensive ,
and I don't recite the pledge I make up my own words and Say what I want , while you may recite the brain washed words that you were taught.
Are you always this belligerent and confrontational or is it the subject material?
thinking out loud

Kingsport, TN

#18 May 23, 2013
I'm always like this when one feels the need to try and correct what it is I believe, just like you typing we don't say we recite,
the difference is all in what recite, speak ,say words coming out your mouth all the same damn thing.
The Quoter

Johnson City, TN

#19 May 23, 2013
Benjamin Franklin:
“When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power,‘tis a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one.”
The Quoter

Johnson City, TN

#20 May 23, 2013
President John Adams and the U.S. Senate in 1797:
“[T]he government of the United States of America is not founded in any sense on the Christian religion....”(From “The Treaty with Tripoli,” approved by President Adams and unanimously ratified by the Senate.)
The Quoter

Johnson City, TN

#21 May 23, 2013
President Thomas Jefferson:
“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
get rid of Robert Sayne 18 min resident 82
YES another bad driver! 44 min Hmmm 10
What u do afer makin love? 46 min Hmmm 2
Ur wife grill stake so tuff ? 50 min Hubby 1
greeneville sun sports page 58 min let see 8
Harold Lamb anybody know him? 1 hr CampCreeper 9
Mayor Daniels tries to pull Fast one 2 hr Mary 18
lawsuit against county schools 6 hr afton hick 13
Scintillaire Restaurant 17 hr Dr Wu 40
Greene County Schools Fri willard 117
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match

Greeneville Jobs

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]