Anyone else wish they bring back the ...

Anyone else wish they bring back the fireworks show in Greeneville ??

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#1 Jun 29, 2012
I don't understand why we do not have them anymore. Can someone explain as to why we happen to be the only town with 70k ppl in it, that does nothing on July 4th. Astro game does not count. I do not want to take my family to a ball game on July 4th. Just to watch the fireworks after the game. Besides finding a parking space on a night like that. Is next to nearly impossible. I just miss the good ole days when things were down at the fairgrounds. I guess once again I have to go out of town, and spend my money somewhere else. When I rather give it to my hometown, and they wonder why ppl are so upset with how Greeneville is ran anymore.
Pretend 2 B Normal

Johnson City, TN

#2 Jun 29, 2012
I agree with part of what you are saying. But you don't have to spend anything to see the Astros fireworks. Go park on the "runway" or sit at Doak park or even take some lawn chairs and sit almost anywhere on campus. There is plenty of parking this time of year across campus.
Sevevty thousand

Smyrna, TN

#3 Jun 29, 2012
July 4th wrote:
I don't understand why we do not have them anymore. Can someone explain as to why we happen to be the only town with 70k ppl in it, that does nothing on July 4th. Astro game does not count. I do not want to take my family to a ball game on July 4th. Just to watch the fireworks after the game. Besides finding a parking space on a night like that. Is next to nearly impossible. I just miss the good ole days when things were down at the fairgrounds. I guess once again I have to go out of town, and spend my money somewhere else. When I rather give it to my hometown, and they wonder why ppl are so upset with how Greeneville is ran anymore.
The population of Greeneville was shown as 15,062, according to the 2010 census. Greene County, which includes Greeneville City, has 60 some thousand. Several of those live almost as close to Johnson City, Morristown, or Kingsport.
Seventy thousand

Smyrna, TN

#4 Jun 29, 2012
Greene County 68,831 in 2010 census.
boomer

Nashville, TN

#5 Jun 29, 2012
What is the astro I have heard that each year at the 4th but never knew what astro was in Greeneville? Does that mean sit and watch falling statrs ? sure thats free!!
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#6 Jun 29, 2012
Pretend 2 B Normal wrote:
I agree with part of what you are saying. But you don't have to spend anything to see the Astros fireworks. Go park on the "runway" or sit at Doak park or even take some lawn chairs and sit almost anywhere on campus. There is plenty of parking this time of year across campus.
Your not getting the point. I am not talking about not spending money. I am talking about the games, activities, music, etc etc that Rogersville offers that we don't. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to see a Astro game, but I can go to a game anytime. I want what they have, and what we use to have. I just think it is sad we don't have that anymore. It would do good to boost our town some. I drive to Rogersville to have that experience every year. It is just sad that so many Greeneville ppl are there instead of here.
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#7 Jun 29, 2012
boomer wrote:
What is the astro I have heard that each year at the 4th but never knew what astro was in Greeneville? Does that mean sit and watch falling statrs ? sure thats free!!
Tusculum college baseball team. No the game is not free that night lol They shut down Greeneville fireworks show yrs ago,and then moved it over to the small college after their game. It is not that grand by all means, and parking is a disaster area.
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#8 Jun 29, 2012
Sevevty thousand wrote:
<quoted text>The population of Greeneville was shown as 15,062, according to the 2010 census. Greene County, which includes Greeneville City, has 60 some thousand. Several of those live almost as close to Johnson City, Morristown, or Kingsport.
Most ppl n Greene County have to drive at least 35 to 50 minutes to get to any of those above areas you mentioned. It is not a hop, skip, and a jump to the next town. I just think I would be nice to bring it back to the fairgrounds. I would have much rather seen "The Band Perry" perform in our hometown instead of Rogersville last yr.
Pretend 2 B Normal

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jun 29, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong but those other towns have a festival on the fourth. Greeneville never did. We had a fireworks show but I don't ever remember music, games, and activities to the level the other places have.
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#10 Jun 29, 2012
Pretend 2 B Normal wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but those other towns have a festival on the fourth. Greeneville never did. We had a fireworks show but I don't ever remember music, games, and activities to the level the other places have.
There were a few things that went on during that day. Maybe not as big, but that why I said would it be nice to have that here.
Pretend 2 B Normal

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jun 30, 2012
I agree that it would be nice to have something Patriotic in Greeneville on the 4th. I have a major issue with the fireworks being scheduled around the Astros home games. If the Astros aren't at home on the 4th they do the fireworks on the 2nd or 3rd. I hate that. We are celebrating the 4th of July not whatever day is convenient. If they aren't at home then they show should be at the fairgrounds. It isnt just Greeneville. Most places will do it on the 3rd if that is a Saturday. I believe they should be on the 4th regardless of the day of the week.
boomer

Nashville, TN

#12 Jun 30, 2012
July 4th wrote:
<quoted text>Tusculum college baseball team. No the game is not free that night lol They shut down Greeneville fireworks show yrs ago,and then moved it over to the small college after their game. It is not that grand by all means, and parking is a disaster area.
Tusculum college baseball team isn't name "Tusculum College Baseball Team"? how freakish, that like calling the "Greeneville chamber of cemmerce" the "Partnership Corporation"! Who would google that? I read that this "Astros" was sold so it might be moving out of Greeneville soon? If it was in Tusculum then it has already moved out of Greeneville hasn't it? Isn't it now the Tusculum Astro's ? If the fireworks are really being displayed in Tusculum they would be Tusculum firework display? If again the fireworks are after a game of the Tusculum Astro's then they are "The Astro's celebration of the 4th July"?
Greeneville doesn't have any fireworks at all!
boomer

Nashville, TN

#13 Jun 30, 2012
Why did Tusculum college sell their football team? Was it a joke?
July 4th

Smyrna, TN

#14 Jun 30, 2012
boomer wrote:
<quoted text>Tusculum college baseball team isn't name "Tusculum College Baseball Team"? how freakish, that like calling the "Greeneville chamber of cemmerce" the "Partnership Corporation"! Who would google that? I read that this "Astros" was sold so it might be moving out of Greeneville soon? If it was in Tusculum then it has already moved out of Greeneville hasn't it? Isn't it now the Tusculum Astro's ? If the fireworks are really being displayed in Tusculum they would be Tusculum firework display? If again the fireworks are after a game of the Tusculum Astro's then they are "The Astro's celebration of the 4th July"?
They are called the Greeneville Astros even if they play at Tusculum lol I guess the new owner is happy with Greeneville. Besides it all Greene County no matter what lol Which means yes you are right no 4th of July celebrations in our town. Well unless you are that select few who are happy with fireworks show at the Astro's game.
omfg

United States

#15 Jun 30, 2012
boomer wrote:
<quoted text>Tusculum college baseball team isn't name "Tusculum College Baseball Team"? how freakish, that like calling the "Greeneville chamber of cemmerce" the "Partnership Corporation"! Who would google that? I read that this "Astros" was sold so it might be moving out of Greeneville soon? If it was in Tusculum then it has already moved out of Greeneville hasn't it? Isn't it now the Tusculum Astro's ? If the fireworks are really being displayed in Tusculum they would be Tusculum firework display? If again the fireworks are after a game of the Tusculum Astro's then they are "The Astro's celebration of the 4th July"?
Are you effing kidding me? Greeneville Astro's facility is better than many AAA ballparks. The new owner of the Astro's (up to & including the Houston Astro's) was at the home opener a few days ago. He stated he "likes what he sees" in Greeneville. If you don't like the fireworks put on by the team & sponsors, then don't watch. You want your kids to have some piddly lil games to play and an elaborate 4th, by all means go to a neighboring county. Back when the Town of Greeneville put on the fireworks show, it become rather expensive. It was also determined many townsfolk were going to Freedom Hall or neighboring counties. Y'all peolple bitch because Greene County wants to raise the wheel tax for schools. I would much rather Greeneville/Greene Co put any 'proposed' firework money into schools, parks or any other need.
were broke

United States

#16 Jun 30, 2012
Were broke. Fireworks shows cost money. They didnt make any so they quit. Astros have fireworkd every fri plus the 4th. And they charge admission and make money. Its that simple.
amen

Smyrna, TN

#17 Jun 30, 2012
omfg wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you effing kidding me? Greeneville Astro's facility is better than many AAA ballparks. The new owner of the Astro's (up to & including the Houston Astro's) was at the home opener a few days ago. He stated he "likes what he sees" in Greeneville. If you don't like the fireworks put on by the team & sponsors, then don't watch. You want your kids to have some piddly lil games to play and an elaborate 4th, by all means go to a neighboring county. Back when the Town of Greeneville put on the fireworks show, it become rather expensive. It was also determined many townsfolk were going to Freedom Hall or neighboring counties. Y'all peolple bitch because Greene County wants to raise the wheel tax for schools. I would much rather Greeneville/Greene Co put any 'proposed' firework money into schools, parks or any other need.
Somebody should clean their potty mouth up a little. No reason to get so pissy over a discussion. Last time I checked I support the wheel tax, and the schools. You should really think before opening your big mouth. I have no problem at all with the Astros, or the new owner. Not everyone wants to be at a ball game on July 4th. It is considered a celebration, and yes there is nothing wrong with wanting Greeneville to bring it back. By the way I do believe the same sponsors that help pay for the Astros to do them. Were also the same sponsors that Greeneville had at one time. Yes it may cost some money, but it called fundraisers. Did they take a vote with the people of Greeneville/ Greene County when they made that decision?? Highly doubt it since we were not broke in "O7"
Cherry Bomb

Smyrna, TN

#18 Jun 30, 2012
omfg wrote:
<quoted text>
You would get more bang for the buck by lighting fireworks and blowing them up in the sky than wasting it on the school system here.
duh

United States

#19 Jun 30, 2012
Kinser park that's the best place
omfg

United States

#20 Jun 30, 2012
Potty mouth? I'll take that as a compliment coming from the likes of you. I hope you say some heartfelt prayers before you say Amem. The Greeneville Parks & Recreation, I do believe, organized the 4th of July happenings back in the day. Have you taken a gander at their budget lately? Maybe the same sponsors did pay to have the pyro guys come in to put on the show but the sponsors didn't pay for the holiday pay for the Park & Rec employees working the event.

You don't have to attend the ballgame to enjoy the fireworks. My family's holiday is spent grilling, eating, swimming, eating some more, swimmimg again and then we all go to the same parking lot to watch the fireworks. It's almost like a reunion-the same people meet in the same parking lot year after year.
We aren't in traffic, we aren't paying to get into a ballgame, we aren't bunched up at some other county's celebration next to Bobby Sue & her boyfriend Billy Joe while they "pretend" to watch after and discipline their 4 rugrats, just so we can see a "free" concert.

Maybe the 4th means something different tom me. It's not about the games, the music or even the fireworks. It's about remembering why we celebrate the day & doing so with loved ones.

Have a Happy whining-because- your-hometown-no-longer-entert ains-you 4th of July.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cat got you tale? 15 min whothehellcares- 17
UN military vehicles invading Virginia are we n... 29 min Rob Roy 34
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 51 min Princess Hey 9,759
Chelsea Acker 1 hr Ace 6
Johnathan Foulks??? 1 hr Ace 7
what happened to Alicia at world? 2 hr Ace 9
Is the TAX MAN getting ready to bring the hamme... 2 hr Sad day 3
LED lights 4 hr Binary 19
who got shot on fish pond rd tonight 6 hr Vickernism 39

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages