Migrant workers settle suit against t...

Migrant workers settle suit against tomato farm

There are 39 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Mar 27, 2013, titled Migrant workers settle suit against tomato farm. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

NEWPORT, Tenn. -- A Cocke County tomato grower has settled a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by 14 Mexican nationals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
picker

Pine Knot, KY

#21 Apr 9, 2013
Farmers have a tough time making a living and is why a low wage is to their benefit. Its hard for American workers to do this type labor and stay above the poverty level but immigrants will take whatever work they can get because they are basically camping out anyway to avoid the usual taxes and costs of being a home owner. Now the immigrants are demanding higher wages, better living conditions and will sue you if they don't get it. Who will take their place when they refuse to work for nearly nothing?

If you look at the price of fresh vegetables, it makes one wonder just who it is thats getting the largest part of the pie.
David

Johnson City, TN

#22 Apr 9, 2013
Truth wrote:
Oh shut up! Maybe you should educate yourself before you spout off about something you obviously know nothing about. Part of the deal is they provide housing. If you can call it that. They have always had them crammed in the trailers like sardines. It's just that no one has ever complained. And they need to pay them a decent wage. They work hard in the tomato fields all day. Harder than the lazy bums drawing a check that's for sure!
And they AREN'T criminals. They are migrant workers. And they for sure are not taking any jobs. Hell will freeze over before the lazy white trash around here will get up at day break and work all day in the hot sun picking tomatoes.
Personally, I say send the Migrant workers home and put the trash drawing welfare and disability out there in the fields. Make them WORK for their money. Even the dumbest drawing a welfare. heck can figure out how to pull a tomato off the vine!
I think that 29 years of dealing with them bums is an excellent "education". You need to sthu.
HNIC

Newport, TN

#23 Apr 11, 2013
married wrote:
My husband is diabled he has had 4 strokes and has worked very hard all of his life he deserves his disability check! I dont mind the immigrants picking tomatoes as long as they are paying taxes and not sending american money back to mexico!
You can tell your lazy as hell if your wanting money from the government for your husband an what the hell does it matter about where they send there money to if they work for it they can do whatever they want with it how about you get a job in a hot field and let's see how you like it
happy girl

United States

#24 Apr 11, 2013
HNIC wrote:
<quoted text> You can tell your lazy as hell if your wanting money from the government for your husband an what the hell does it matter about where they send there money to if they work for it they can do whatever they want with it how about you get a job in a hot field and let's see how you like it
you dont think someone that has had 4 strokes is disabled? Hes lucky to be alive! Whats wrong with you? Im educated enough to to have to pick tomatoes! By the way ive worked outside in hot and cold weather for 15 years! Go home beaner!!!
Curious

United States

#25 Apr 11, 2013
Make the prisioners and all of these repete offenders do it. And let the low wages go towards there fines. Maybe there wouldn't be a need to.raise taxes if they could collect this money.
wat a joke

Greeneville, TN

#26 Apr 12, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If they work for it it is THEIR money and they can do what ever they want to with it. And WHY are you turning this into an arguement about disability?
I agree with u 100 percent my grankids r half mecxian I love them with all my heart the kids cant help it but some of the men come over here find a white women with kids who get tons of food stamps or some women on ssi and live off them so they send all there mony to mexcio so when they go back they live like the kardashens and we have to stugel just to but food on our table this makes me sooooo mad
wat a joke

Greeneville, TN

#28 Apr 12, 2013
married wrote:
My husband is diabled he has had 4 strokes and has worked very hard all of his life he deserves his disability check! I dont mind the immigrants picking tomatoes as long as they are paying taxes and not sending american money back to mexico!
I ith u they come over here find a white women with kids who get tons of food stamps or a older lady on disability tells them how beuatful they r says me love u lives off them sends there mony back to mecxio then leaves gose back to mecxco ands lives like Donald trump while we stugel to put food on our tables for our kids and it makes me madd that thesr girls care more about there little latin lovers more than they do there own kids when these mecxcians treat them like a dog makes them there slaves this is one American women who will not take there crap
happy girl

United States

#29 Apr 12, 2013
wat a joke wrote:
<quoted text>I ith u they come over here find a white women with kids who get tons of food stamps or a older lady on disability tells them how beuatful they r says me love u lives off them sends there mony back to mecxio then leaves gose back to mecxco ands lives like Donald trump while we stugel to put food on our tables for our kids and it makes me madd that thesr girls care more about there little latin lovers more than they do there own kids when these mecxcians treat them like a dog makes them there slaves this is one American women who will not take there crap
your exactly right!!!!
Truth

Kodak, TN

#30 Apr 13, 2013
David wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that 29 years of dealing with them bums is an excellent "education". You need to sthu.
lol. What are you 5? I don't agree with what you said so I gonna yell shut up at you. And they aren't bums. The MIGRANT WORKERS ARE WORKING! It's the lazy @ss white people who are lazy drawing a check.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#31 Apr 13, 2013
wat a joke wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with u 100 percent my grankids r half mecxian I love them with all my heart the kids cant help it but some of the men come over here find a white women with kids who get tons of food stamps or some women on ssi and live off them so they send all there mony to mexcio so when they go back they live like the kardashens and we have to stugel just to but food on our table this makes me sooooo mad
I get really upset when people are mean to the Mexican kids. Even the ones who are full and born here. They can't help that their parents are here illegally and like it or not apparently THEY are legal because they were born here.

And it's the "white woman's" fault as much or more than anybody's. They don't have to let ANY man shack up with them or sponge off them.(NOT saying that is the case with your family) At any rate. ANY PERSON no matter what their race or color if they are working legally can do whatever they want with their wages they earned.

I am curious as to how many people on here crying about the Migrant workers have ever worked for cash or collected money under the table for work they done? THAT IS ILLEGAL!!! Oh wait, nobody want to talk about their wrong doings. Just grasp at straws at what somebody else might be doing.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#32 Apr 13, 2013
wat a joke wrote:
<quoted text>I ith u they come over here find a white women with kids who get tons of food stamps or a older lady on disability tells them how beuatful they r says me love u lives off them sends there mony back to mecxio then leaves gose back to mecxco ands lives like Donald trump while we stugel to put food on our tables for our kids and it makes me madd that thesr girls care more about there little latin lovers more than they do there own kids when these mecxcians treat them like a dog makes them there slaves this is one American women who will not take there crap
You do not have to be old to draw disability. Half the people drawing a disability check are young healthy idiots who work 40 plus hours a week for cash. THAT is what makes me mad. They draw apx $1000 a month some as much as $1200 to $1500 and then work a regular job where they are paid cash.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#33 Apr 13, 2013
picker wrote:
Farmers have a tough time making a living and is why a low wage is to their benefit. Its hard for American workers to do this type labor and stay above the poverty level but immigrants will take whatever work they can get because they are basically camping out anyway to avoid the usual taxes and costs of being a home owner. Now the immigrants are demanding higher wages, better living conditions and will sue you if they don't get it. Who will take their place when they refuse to work for nearly nothing?
If you look at the price of fresh vegetables, it makes one wonder just who it is thats getting the largest part of the pie.
You are such an idiot. I am not even sure where to begin. They aren't camping out to avoid taxes. According to your ignorance here EVERYONE who rents is just trying to avoid taxes of being a home owner. Your ignorance is just too much. Immigrants have come here for years to make money to send back to their starving families. Or for a better education. Why would they come over here and do work people here think they are too good to do if they are going to spend everything they earn on rent and food and at the end of the season they go back home and have NOTHING to show for the time they were here.

You need to get down on your knees and thank God you were born here in the US where you have it so good. YOU could just as easily have been born in the slums of Mexico. Too bad you weren't! Then maybe YOU could be treated the way you treat others.
hot momma

United States

#34 Apr 13, 2013
Hey to the person who posts as truth,your an idiot!!! Get a life!!! Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion not just you!!" Why are you getting so mad? You think your right about everything!!! Chill out!!!
hot momma

United States

#35 Apr 13, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. What are you 5? I don't agree with what you said so I gonna yell shut up at you. And they aren't bums. The MIGRANT WORKERS ARE WORKING! It's the lazy @ss white people who are lazy drawing a check.
oh i get it now you have a beaner for a boyfriend,and instesd of yelling at everyone else to shut the hell up, take your own advise!!! Pull your panties out of your big ol crack, and take another bite of your burrito!!!
Truth

Kodak, TN

#36 Apr 14, 2013
hot momma wrote:
Hey to the person who posts as truth,your an idiot!!! Get a life!!! Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion not just you!!" Why are you getting so mad? You think your right about everything!!! Chill out!!!
Why are you getting so mad? Oh because you are a bigot! You are mad because you are afraid they will cut into your welfare check. Now I understand.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#37 Apr 14, 2013
hot momma wrote:
<quoted text>oh i get it now you have a beaner for a boyfriend,and instesd of yelling at everyone else to shut the hell up, take your own advise!!! Pull your panties out of your big ol crack, and take another bite of your burrito!!!
You really need to learn to read. I NEVER told anyone to shut the hell up. That was you and your many aliases. I also never yelled at anyone. Funny how when you post it is expressing your opinion but when I do the same thing you get all offended. You have some serious mental issues. Guess you had a lot of practice after all you had to convince them you needed that crazy check. They need to make YOU go pick tomatoes all day and actually earn that check you are drawing.

And you can fire back with your put downs and insults all you want. I will not be responding to you again. I am much more mature than that and have way more to do with my life. LOL at you.
yep

Elizabethton, TN

#38 Apr 14, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I get really upset when people are mean to the Mexican kids. Even the ones who are full and born here. They can't help that their parents are here illegally and like it or not apparently THEY are legal because they were born here.
Move your ass to Mexico.
Truth

Elizabethton, TN

#39 Apr 14, 2013
I apologize for the childish outbursts. My oozing sores have busted again and they are very painful. Just not in a good mood.
hot momma

United States

#40 Apr 14, 2013
Truth wrote:
I apologize for the childish outbursts. My oozing sores have busted again and they are very painful. Just not in a good mood.
what did ya get that from your mexican tooo!!!! Youll get over mine and everyone elses opinions tooo!!! You can go pick tomatoes with your mexican boyfriend!!! If you dont like other peoples opinions about mexicans maybe you should move out of cocke county!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R they 7 min Blue Tick 3
Dogs in grocery stores.. 10 min Jon vale reacher 22
Baileyton NEWS.. (ihop) 13 min Jon vale reacher 88
Hitler car 2 hr Dr Wu 4
Illegal dreamers 2 hr Dr Wu 16
Churches giving Pastors lay offs 3 hr Preacher Bubba 8
People that are going around robbing people? 3 hr tires 5

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance