Migrant workers settle suit against t...

Migrant workers settle suit against tomato farm

There are 39 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Mar 27, 2013, titled Migrant workers settle suit against tomato farm. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

NEWPORT, Tenn. -- A Cocke County tomato grower has settled a federal civil rights lawsuit filed by 14 Mexican nationals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

Seymour, TN

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Since when are immigrants granted rights to sue anybody. That should be a citizens (right). And since when is it the employers responsibility to proide housing to its workers? My boss doesn't give me a place to live. They are still taking jobs from americans and now they are taking money from small business owners. Just stop hiring them. If they have legal working documents, make them pay thier way just like we do.
wtf

Boiling Springs, SC

#2 Apr 2, 2013
They r ppl just like u whether they r citizens or nt is ur lazy ass gna do the jobs that they nope didnt think so so they aint taking jobs from any lazy ass american
David

Elizabethton, TN

#3 Apr 2, 2013
Good. Maybe farmers will stop hiring those criminals.
Truth

Tucker, GA

#4 Apr 2, 2013
Oh shut up! Maybe you should educate yourself before you spout off about something you obviously know nothing about. Part of the deal is they provide housing. If you can call it that. They have always had them crammed in the trailers like sardines. It's just that no one has ever complained. And they need to pay them a decent wage. They work hard in the tomato fields all day. Harder than the lazy bums drawing a check that's for sure!

And they AREN'T criminals. They are migrant workers. And they for sure are not taking any jobs. Hell will freeze over before the lazy white trash around here will get up at day break and work all day in the hot sun picking tomatoes.

Personally, I say send the Migrant workers home and put the trash drawing welfare and disability out there in the fields. Make them WORK for their money. Even the dumbest drawing a welfare. heck can figure out how to pull a tomato off the vine!
Yes

White Pine, TN

#5 Apr 2, 2013
Truth wrote:
Oh shut up! Maybe you should educate yourself before you spout off about something you obviously know nothing about. Part of the deal is they provide housing. If you can call it that. They have always had them crammed in the trailers like sardines. It's just that no one has ever complained. And they need to pay them a decent wage. They work hard in the tomato fields all day. Harder than the lazy bums drawing a check that's for sure!
And they AREN'T criminals. They are migrant workers. And they for sure are not taking any jobs. Hell will freeze over before the lazy white trash around here will get up at day break and work all day in the hot sun picking tomatoes.
Personally, I say send the Migrant workers home and put the trash drawing welfare and disability out there in the fields. Make them WORK for their money. Even the dumbest drawing a welfare. heck can figure out how to pull a tomato off the vine!

I agree 100%! Very well said!
yeah

Lexington, SC

#6 Apr 2, 2013
Really wrote:
Since when are immigrants granted rights to sue anybody. That should be a citizens (right). And since when is it the employers responsibility to proide housing to its workers? My boss doesn't give me a place to live. They are still taking jobs from americans and now they are taking money from small business owners. Just stop hiring them. If they have legal working documents, make them pay thier way just like we do.
These illegal aliens have more rights than you do buddy.Your family can starve but they won't cause they're getting the jobs and the government dole.

“is your friend ”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#7 Apr 3, 2013
Migrants come here and their asses off for seven years then become legal citizens. Then then get OUR jobs because they are minorities. I know because I dated one of the SOBs.
its sure

Morristown, TN

#8 Apr 3, 2013
they are good an bad in ever race they are some ive meet that wont to do nothing but lay drunk an sat on there behinds but know lot white people the same way an some are good people the man im seeing been over here for yrs works in a very well known bussiness an right now working 12 hr days cause the american people there most them dont care about the over time he pays rent electric anbills just like the americans you cant judge by race he prays ever night an has never been in trouble but if you really look in just busted or local news you see maybe 1 spanish person to every 20 americans you cant judge every one by some of there race be like saying ever white man is a junkie athief or pill head just because some are
ha ha ha

Morristown, TN

#9 Apr 3, 2013
Really wrote:
Since when are immigrants granted rights to sue anybody. That should be a citizens (right). And since when is it the employers responsibility to proide housing to its workers? My boss doesn't give me a place to live. They are still taking jobs from americans and now they are taking money from small business owners. Just stop hiring them. If they have legal working documents, make them pay their way just like we do.
well in your agreement to work for your employer is housing included when they bring them here housing is part of their compensation they have rights as well as any one else what does their status have to do with it they were here they worked and should have received proper treatment if lazy people were working then there would not be a reason for them to come here for jobs because there would not be any so get all your lazy friends up and go job hunting tomorrow
ha ha ha

Morristown, TN

#10 Apr 3, 2013
Mrs Roberson wrote:
Migrants come here and their asses off for seven years then become legal citizens. Then then get OUR jobs because they are minorities. I know because I dated one of the SOBs.
well by your picture honey you got lucky he got screwed and ran back to his country when he sobered up cause no one there had seen you with him i dont blame him let it go youll find someone as ugly as u one day the right one will come around matter of fact i seen one not long ago had one eye north and one south he might be a good place to start he cant see very well i think they call him cooie
donthate

Easley, SC

#11 Apr 4, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text> These illegal aliens have more rights than you do buddy.Your family can starve but they won't cause they're getting the jobs and the government dole.
YOU are an idiot! No american wants the jobs these migrants do!! They live in horrible conditions and work for less than min wage so you can have fruits and veg in the grocery store. If these migrants all quit and " go back where they came from" the farmers would be SOL because Americans think they are too good to do these jobs!!!
Truth

Kodak, TN

#12 Apr 4, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text> These illegal aliens have more rights than you do buddy.Your family can starve but they won't cause they're getting the jobs and the government dole.
Hey stupid! The MIGRANT workers are NOT illegal! They are here legally.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#13 Apr 4, 2013
its sure wrote:
they are good an bad in ever race they are some ive meet that wont to do nothing but lay drunk an sat on there behinds but know lot white people the same way an some are good people the man im seeing been over here for yrs works in a very well known bussiness an right now working 12 hr days cause the american people there most them dont care about the over time he pays rent electric anbills just like the americans you cant judge by race he prays ever night an has never been in trouble but if you really look in just busted or local news you see maybe 1 spanish person to every 20 americans you cant judge every one by some of there race be like saying ever white man is a junkie athief or pill head just because some are
You should really learn the English language before you spout off on here.
Truth

Kodak, TN

#14 Apr 4, 2013
donthate wrote:
<quoted text>YOU are an idiot! No american wants the jobs these migrants do!! They live in horrible conditions and work for less than min wage so you can have fruits and veg in the grocery store. If these migrants all quit and " go back where they came from" the farmers would be SOL because Americans think they are too good to do these jobs!!!
EXACTLY! And why not? Our government pays them way more than min wage to sit on their fat arses at home. Why would they work?
married

United States

#15 Apr 6, 2013
My husband is diabled he has had 4 strokes and has worked very hard all of his life he deserves his disability check! I dont mind the immigrants picking tomatoes as long as they are paying taxes and not sending american money back to mexico!
Truth

Tucker, GA

#16 Apr 6, 2013
married wrote:
My husband is diabled he has had 4 strokes and has worked very hard all of his life he deserves his disability check! I dont mind the immigrants picking tomatoes as long as they are paying taxes and not sending american money back to mexico!
If they work for it it is THEIR money and they can do what ever they want to with it. And WHY are you turning this into an arguement about disability?
married

United States

#17 Apr 6, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If they work for it it is THEIR money and they can do what ever they want to with it. And WHY are you turning this into an arguement about disability?
because you made a comment about putting disabled persons in a field to pick tomatoes! So you think its ok to send money to mexico and support the mexican economy instead of ours? You ever been to mexico they dont like americans in thier country but they like thier family sending them money from the u.s. you should spend some time in mexico city and see how that goes! Another tip no one speaks english so we are expected to know spanish there are no interpretters there ! Americans make it to easy for mexicans!
Truth

Kodak, TN

#18 Apr 7, 2013
married wrote:
<quoted text>because you made a comment about putting disabled persons in a field to pick tomatoes! So you think its ok to send money to mexico and support the mexican economy instead of ours? You ever been to mexico they dont like americans in thier country but they like thier family sending them money from the u.s. you should spend some time in mexico city and see how that goes! Another tip no one speaks english so we are expected to know spanish there are no interpretters there ! Americans make it to easy for mexicans!
NO I didn't say put DISABLED PEOPLE in a field picking tomatoes. YES, I think it is FINE to let the people who WORK for the money do whatever they want to with it.

I have no control over our government saying we need to learn Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and won't be learning it to communicate with them. I agree they need to learn English. You need to get a clue. According to what you are saying since your husband is drawing a check off the government and YES that is what he is doing then WE the working people should be able to say how that money is spent. It's no different than you saying that a Migrant worker that comes here LEGALLY and works hard for their money should not be able to send that money back home to their family.

People totally amaze me. Smh. I am curious as to if you voted for the current administration of this country. If I had to place a bet I would say you did. We send billions of dollars to countries that hate us. And guess what...they don't do anything for us. We just give them the money. At least the Migrant workers are doing something useful. Ain't no lazy bums around here going to do the jobs they do. So either shut up or go apply to pick tomatoes.
married

United States

#19 Apr 7, 2013
Yes truth you did make a comment about persons on welfare and disability on your april 2 post. Yes my husband draws a well earned disability check because after my husbands strokes my husband is now considered a liability from brain injuries. I hope nothing happens to you, because one day if you need your disability for some reason you may be glad as americans we have it.no i do not agree with giving other countries money or food,we need to take care of our own people. How do you know the mexicans were legal did you see thier paperwork?what are praising a mexican because theyll pick a tomatoe!! I dated a very intelligent mexican i went to mexico with him. I learned how they operate!! I figured out it isnt right!!! There are plenty of american plants in mexico for them to work at!! Theyre not needed here! So you go pick tomatoes with them. I have a husband who cannot see , and can barely walk and have three children to take care of as well if you dont think thats a job, you try it!!!!
this is stupid

Franklin, NC

#20 Apr 8, 2013
Well

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How stupid can one be? 9 min Tommy 9
Zipping Along 15 min whothehellcares- 16
If you could.... 16 min Mean Muggin 21
Why are liberals so weak and feminine? 28 min Mean Muggin 49
Storytime 43 min Sharon Tate 11
Tampons 56 min Tranny Guy 112
Judge odrers Bill Cosby stand trial 1 hr Observer 35
Favorite bar to go with yo friends 1 hr Mean Muggin 165
More from around the web

Personal Finance