Where were you on 9/11?
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Greeneville, Tennessee

#1 Sep 10, 2010
For those who want to, tell your story of that day.....what you were doing.....how you reacted.....and anything else you want to share.
Klong

Gallatin, TN

#2 Sep 10, 2010
was in Charlotte NC and was going to work that morning and heard it on the radio. The City of Charlotte went on LOCKDOWN. It was crazy. But not as crazy as some of the things ive read about 9/11...all i can say is my condolences go out to the families of the victims.
garth pickle

Nashville, TN

#3 Sep 10, 2010
I guess Im on topix but Im not sure what I will be doing the rest of the day.
Kaitlynns_mommy

United States

#4 Sep 11, 2010
I was standing at the front counter @ burger king when the news flash came across the tv showing the first plane that hit the twin towers it was a tragedy I was so scared I left without even picking our breakfast up so I could get home to my daughter
YOYO

Smyrna, TN

#5 Sep 11, 2010
I was at South Greene in junior English...a teacher came in yelling about it and we turned the tv on and that is what we did the rest of the day..Watched tv
Hammer

Gallatin, TN

#6 Sep 11, 2010
Was driving home from taking the kids to school.Sat in front of the TV the rest of the day

“Dont ask i wont tell!”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 11, 2010
God i will never ever forget that day. For many reasons. I was at home with my 10 month old baby. The phone rings and it is my husband from work telling me to turn on the tv. I saw the first tower in flames and i stared at the tv in horror as the second plane crashed into the second tower. Later we found out about the PA plane and the one in Washington dc. My uncle delivered fish in the area and we could not contact him for over 24 hrs the fear that we felt that day was overwhelming. We were fortunate with my uncle being ok, but so many others were not as lucky. I will never take for granted the time we are give, tragedy can strike at any time.
sghs

United States

#8 Sep 11, 2010
I was in sophmore english at sghs. Mrs. Ratledge came running in yelling about a bomb or something and Mrs. Humphreys finally got her calmed down enough to tell us what was going on. As soon as we turned the tv on it showed the second plane hitting, soon after that they put us all in the cafeteria. We didn't know what to do with ourselves.
My Name

Franklin, TN

#9 Sep 11, 2010
i was in campcreek, in 8th grade in Mr. Longs class, he told us that the trade towers had been hit, he explained what they where an showed us on tv, for the rest of the day, we learned about the trade towers, watched tv, & we even learned about the pentagon that day! it was a real experience i know that!
Chaos

Elizabethtown, KY

#10 Sep 11, 2010
I was at south greene in earth science when it happened. i was a sophomore in high school.
Rocker

Hendersonville, TN

#11 Sep 11, 2010
I was at work. When someone said a plane had hit the first tower, we all thought it was a terrible accident, then the second plane hit. Then the horror of it all started coming out. My sister and her family were in DC and were scheduled to tour the Pentagon, but the kids overslept. They were on the way there when everything went into lockdown. My brother-in-law called my mom and said "We're okay", but she hadn't heard anything yet. She said, "Why? What happened?" and he said a bomb went off at the Pentagon. She said, "Well, what did you do that for?" (She thought he was kidding.) He said, "Don't say that! There's Secret Service everywhere!" Anyway, everybody at my place of work stayed in a meeting room at a TV for the rest of the day. It was so surreal, especially when the towers came down. I kept thinking, "They're gone."
Candy

United States

#12 Sep 11, 2010
I was also at south greene high school. I was in senior english. Mrs Ratledge (sp) came running into our room screaming were being bombed!!!! Way to keep everyone calm Mrs. Ratledge... I didnt think i was going to live to see my 18th bday the next day. The whole school watched the news coverage the rest of the day. It was even playing in the lunch room. I will never forget that day or how we were told.

Since: Jul 10

Greeneville, Tennessee

#13 Sep 11, 2010
I was in biology lecture at ETSU when the class was interrupted 3 times by a young guy who came in, walked up on stage and whispered something in the professors ear. The first time, the professor told us that there had been an explosion at the WTC. The second time, the professor told us another explosion had happened at the WTC and it was thought to be terrorist related. I remember some students looking at each other and saying....yea right, others gasped and began panicking. When lecture ended, I headed upstairs to my biology lab, and there was a huge group of students gathered in the doorway of one of the biology offices. I squeezed in between some people and there it was on the TV and my stomach did a 360. Thats when I realized it was no joke. Got to my lab class & after 20 min. of us sitting there wondering where our instructor was, he finally came in, had this really grim look on his face and told us that classes had just been cancelled for the rest of the day and that we needed to leave. It was TOTAL CHAOS with 8000 plus students trying to leave the campus at the same time. I remember calling my daughter's school to ask what the status was for the school day and the school staff had decided not to say anything to the children, that school would carry on but parents could pick their kids up if need be. For the rest of that day and the entire night, I was glued to the TV. It was difficult for me to take it all in.......
YOYO

Smyrna, TN

#14 Sep 11, 2010
I was in mrs. Ratledge's class at that time...she was going crazy..
MommaR

Fort Campbell, TN

#15 Sep 11, 2010
I was living in Morristown. My mom called and told me to turn on the tv. The kids and I sat and watched in disbelief until the phone started ringing- friends who were at wk and needed their children picked up from school...

Location hidden

#17 Sep 11, 2010
I remember 9/11 as if it were yesterday. I was in 7th grade in math class. We had just finished listening to the morning announcements and were about to start class when the assistant principal came in the room and told the teacher to turn the TV on. We missed watching the first tower be hit, but we saw the second tower and the Pentagon be hit. I remember it most because the teacher was afraid her daughter was on one of the planes, but thankfully she wasn't; her plane had been grounded once it found out.
mike

Fort Campbell, TN

#18 Sep 11, 2010
I was home alone and actually just hanging out flipping thru the channels. I saw an urgent news report come on and i started watching. As the news guy started explaining what they knew they kept showing video of the plane hitting the first tower. I went sort of numb. I couldnt believe what i was seeing. I am a grown man but i just started crying. It felt like i knew everyone on those planes personally. I just felt deep grief. When i watched the 2nd plane hit i just broke down, Kept thinking about how it must have been on that plane knowing you were about to die and kill thousands of other people as well. God, the families of the passengers must have been out of their minds with fear, hurt and grief. I will never forget that day, and i pray America will never have to go thru such acts of terror and evil ever again. We got it good here folks, and if you dont stop and think about it every now and again and gives thanks you are so undeserving to be here

Waynesville, NC

#19 Sep 11, 2010
truffleluvr38 wrote:
I was in biology lecture at ETSU when the class was interrupted 3 times by a young guy who came in, walked up on stage and whispered something in the professors ear. The first time, the professor told us that there had been an explosion at the WTC. The second time, the professor told us another explosion had happened at the WTC and it was thought to be terrorist related. I remember some students looking at each other and saying....yea right, others gasped and began panicking. When lecture ended, I headed upstairs to my biology lab, and there was a huge group of students gathered in the doorway of one of the biology offices. I squeezed in between some people and there it was on the TV and my stomach did a 360. Thats when I realized it was no joke. Got to my lab class & after 20 min. of us sitting there wondering where our instructor was, he finally came in, had this really grim look on his face and told us that classes had just been cancelled for the rest of the day and that we needed to leave. It was TOTAL CHAOS with 8000 plus students trying to leave the campus at the same time. I remember calling my daughter's school to ask what the status was for the school day and the school staff had decided not to say anything to the children, that school would carry on but parents could pick their kids up if need be. For the rest of that day and the entire night, I was glued to the TV. It was difficult for me to take it all in.......
I remember us being on the phone forever that day and you flippin out wanting to pick up your kids. Seems just like yesterday that it all happened.
Country Girl

Franklin, TN

#20 Sep 12, 2010
I was at work when I heard the 1st news report. When the report of the hit at the pentagon came on the 1st thing I did was call my parents. My brother at that time was a captain in the Navy working at the pentagon. My parents had called his wife and she had heard nothing yet from him. All day long we waited to hear from him, and nothing. For 9 hours we waited, finally he called. His office was in the wing that was hit and it was destroyed. Through the provenence of the good Lord he and other Navy officials were at a meeting across town. Washington was in lock down, he and the other naval officers were taken from their meeting and placed under guard, not allowed to make contact with anyone until the whole mess was sorted out. My children were at school witnessing the entire thing unfold on television, and when we all got home it was just a humbling, grateful we are alive, and sorrowful tear filled evening thinking about and praying for those killed and their families. We went to NYC and visited Ground Zero, my children took banners that were signed by their school mates and teachers and placed them at the wall there. It was to say the least the most horific and most humbling thing ever to witness the site and the destruction that hate and inhumanity to others can cause.
One Mans Opinion

AOL

#21 Sep 12, 2010
I was sitting in a car on the New Jersey Turnpike, stuck in traffic and waiting to get into the tunnel. For those of you who aren't familiar with Jersey City, that part of the turnpike is elevated and curved and provides a great view of lower Manhattan.

I had two people who I supervised working on the 102nd floor. The day before I had pulled them off of other jobs and told them to be at the WTC. I would meet them there. I was on my way to them for a meeting with them and our client. While sitting in traffic I saw the first plane hit. Needless to say, traffic didn't move.

Sitting there helpless, I watched the second plane hit. My techs got to me on Nextel saying that they couldn't get out, what should they do? Eventually the towers come down.

While sitting there, what I didn't know was that one of the kids that grew up at my house, Tommy Foley, was a member of NYFD Rescue 3. Several days later, Tommy's helmet and belt were found by his brother, who at that time was a Palm Beach County FL. fireman who went to NYC to assist in the rescue and recovery. It is estimated that Tommy and Rescue 3 made it up 44 flights of stairs before the building collapsed.

The World Trade Center attack was barbaric and unwarranted. Even with the tragedy this nation suffered, it should be recognized that it was done by radicals. The fact that those radicals were not Christian does not mean that ALL of those of that faith are radicals.

We citizens of the United States come from countries all over the world. Our ancestors came here for both personal and religious feedom. If we deny those persosnal and religous freedoms to anyone; then we as a society are as much to blame as those who destroyed the World Trade Center.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steven dunbar 5 min Steven 10
The numbers on Trump 20 min BellaRosaLinda 5
Mother going crazy! 25 min BellaRosaLinda 21
NASA recruiting for Mars 41 min free ticket 28
Flesh eating bacteria 1 hr Debbie Downer 7
Obama declares gaybar a National Monument 1 hr Leadway 22
who got shot on fish pond rd tonight 1 hr money talks 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages