New Food City store

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of65
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Pup Tent

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

What the hell is the big deal! I went to the new food city yesterday and was not that impressed. It's just another damn grocery store. The way it was promoted on tv and in the paper was sickning. People outside the county must think we are stupid.
get a clue

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Mar 12, 2013
 
Pup Tent wrote:
What the hell is the big deal! I went to the new food city yesterday and was not that impressed. It's just another damn grocery store. The way it was promoted on tv and in the paper was sickning. People outside the county must think we are stupid.
What were you expecting? A grocery store is a grocery store. They all sell basically the same stuff. I feel pretty sure that all the Food City stores sell exactly the same stuff.
Turd Ferguson

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Personally I'm fond of the new Food City, especially the men's bathroom. That cripple stool is so cozy and plenty of room to stretch your legs in there. Now if only they would heat them toilet seats, I may never leave!
Silly Willie

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Turd Ferguson wrote:
Personally I'm fond of the new Food City, especially the men's bathroom. That cripple stool is so cozy and plenty of room to stretch your legs in there. Now if only they would heat them toilet seats, I may never leave!
What's crippled about you Turd, other than your brain? I wonder, do you use toliet paper or do you just wipe with your hand?
Transplant

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Pup Tent wrote:
What the hell is the big deal! I went to the new food city yesterday and was not that impressed. It's just another damn grocery store. The way it was promoted on tv and in the paper was sickning. People outside the county must think we are stupid.
I am sure the Ingles next door was less than thrilled, as well. I wonder how our town's leaders decided that putting two grocery stores in the same plaza was a good idea? I have not even gone to the new store because I was so pissed that we were just getting more of the same. The way the store was teased at first, I thought we were really getting something new...like a retailer we don't already have.
I personally can't wait until Publix comes to town. Now, that is a real grocery store.
I am sure that will take another 100 years of so.
Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Mar 12, 2013
 
Fresh market will never happen either, the sushi bar got axed out of the new food city at the last minute
Watch out

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Mar 12, 2013
 
Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure the Ingles next door was less than thrilled, as well. I wonder how our town's leaders decided that putting two grocery stores in the same plaza was a good idea? I have not even gone to the new store because I was so pissed that we were just getting more of the same. The way the store was teased at first, I thought we were really getting something new...like a retailer we don't already have.
I personally can't wait until Publix comes to town. Now, that is a real grocery store.
I am sure that will take another 100 years of so.
I agree with you and refuse to go to the store as well because of the way they treated Ingles. I wonder if there were any kickbacks given?
Transplant

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Watch out wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you and refuse to go to the store as well because of the way they treated Ingles. I wonder if there were any kickbacks given?
'

I am not one to spread lies, but was told by several locals that the partnership has for years put a cap on wages of new, incoming businesses so as to not rock the boat with long time established businesses in Greeneville. I know that is not relevant to grocery stores, who offer mostly low wage jobs anyway, but applies more to manufacturing wages. Has anyone else heard this "rumor"?
As evidenced by my user id, I am not originally from this area and have no idea if this rumor is at all true, but it would certainly explain why wages are so low in this area for manufacturing jobs, while the same job fetches much more in neighboring towns/states.
Watch out

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>'
I am not one to spread lies, but was told by several locals that the partnership has for years put a cap on wages of new, incoming businesses so as to not rock the boat with long time established businesses in Greeneville. I know that is not relevant to grocery stores, who offer mostly low wage jobs anyway, but applies more to manufacturing wages. Has anyone else heard this "rumor"?
As evidenced by my user id, I am not originally from this area and have no idea if this rumor is at all true, but it would certainly explain why wages are so low in this area for manufacturing jobs, while the same job fetches much more in neighboring towns/states.
I am a transplant as well and have heard the same rumors. I have been told by locals that the guy that runs the partnership is controlled by Scott Niswonger a wealthy local businessman and philantropher. Niswonger usually gets what he wants. Something to think about?
Turd Ferguson

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Silly Willie wrote:
<quoted text>
What's crippled about you Turd, other than your brain? I wonder, do you use toliet paper or do you just wipe with your hand?
Nothin's crippled about me or my brain. I just prefer the crippled stool b/c it is alot roomier than the regulars, and it's got rails for power squeeze which come in handy those days I don't get enough of my fiber intake,
frmr partnership empl

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Mar 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>'

I am not one to spread lies, but was told by several locals that the partnership has for years put a cap on wages of new, incoming businesses so as to not rock the boat with long time established businesses in Greeneville. I know that is not relevant to grocery stores, who offer mostly low wage jobs anyway, but applies more to manufacturing wages. Has anyone else heard this "rumor"?
As evidenced by my user id, I am not originally from this area and have no idea if this rumor is at all true, but it would certainly explain why wages are so low in this area for manufacturing jobs, while the same job fetches much more in neighboring towns/states.
This is ridiculous and absolutely false. The partnership cannot set a "cap" on what private industries pay. Contrary to popular belief, the partnership does not "permit" or "forbid" industries from coming in. The partnership recruits and facilities industries to come; it does not serve as a gatekeeper.

If an industry comes to Greeneville and pays low wages, it is because: 1. Folks in Greeneville are willing to work low wage jobs and 2. The only industries that will even think of looking to come to Greeneville are low skill jobs because that's predominantly the workforce that's available here. We don't get high tech industries because we don't have people who are highly educated in those areas.
Dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Mar 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

I don't think it is the job of elected officials or the partnership to deny a grocery store (Food City) the ability to open in an available space simply because there is a competing grocery store (Ingles) in close proximity. The function of local government and the partnership isn't to protect interest in such a manner, but to allow for growth.

As for the new Food City, I hope people here realize that if they shift all their business to Food City, Ingles will go out of business and our options will be Food City and Wal-mart. Competition is healthy and when our decisions as to where we spend out money eliminates competition, that is a bad thing. That leads me to another point, why shop groceries at Wal-mart. They have crushed local pharmacies, hardware and much of the other retail, so let's not allow them the opportunity to crush grocery stores. I never shop at Wal-mart, for anything. I wish more people would take the same direction in thinking about who they give their dollars to.
Transplant

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 13, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

frmr partnership empl wrote:
<quoted text>
This is ridiculous and absolutely false. The partnership cannot set a "cap" on what private industries pay. Contrary to popular belief, the partnership does not "permit" or "forbid" industries from coming in. The partnership recruits and facilities industries to come; it does not serve as a gatekeeper.
If an industry comes to Greeneville and pays low wages, it is because: 1. Folks in Greeneville are willing to work low wage jobs and 2. The only industries that will even think of looking to come to Greeneville are low skill jobs because that's predominantly the workforce that's available here. We don't get high tech industries because we don't have people who are highly educated in those areas.
If you are a former Partnership employee you should have keen insight on the issue, but the rumor is not rididculous. The partnerships wields great power in paving the way for the "right" businesses in terms of tax breaks, inspections, zoning changes, deals with utility companies, road improvements, etc. They certainly have the power to discourage growth that is not wanted whether the issue is wage, reputation or something else.
Furthermore, educated transplants like myself and higher skilled workers move here and then we move away because this county does not have businesses that can use our skills...and those that do, hire their family members whether they are qualified or not.
Finally, and more the point of this thread, the Partnership's decision to encourage another Food City to come in next door to an existing Ingles is what is ridiculous. As a former poster pointed out, in the end it will likely remove one of our grocery store choices. I am all for competition and healthy growth. The addition of another Food City in the old Walmart building represents desperation of the Partnership to bring ANY business into town, not the kind of business that will help change the dwindling economy here or bring jobs that pay enough to sustain a family.
theangryguy

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 13, 2013
 
There is way too much of the same Grocery Stores in the area. Matter of fact, too many dam close together! Doesn't Greeneville have any dam sense at all?! Restaurants side by side, Banks up and down the street, Gas stations everywhere, which I guess that's good considering too much fking cars on the road! Ah, who the fk cares.....forget the dam shit!
Silly Willie

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 13, 2013
 
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothin's crippled about me or my brain. I just prefer the crippled stool b/c it is alot roomier than the regulars, and it's got rails for power squeeze which come in handy those days I don't get enough of my fiber intake,
If your not crippled then respect those who are. Take your nasty ass home or use the ones provided for those who do not have a problem. You must be one selfish bast---!
I am with you

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Transplant wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a former Partnership employee you should have keen insight on the issue, but the rumor is not rididculous. The partnerships wields great power in paving the way for the "right" businesses in terms of tax breaks, inspections, zoning changes, deals with utility companies, road improvements, etc. They certainly have the power to discourage growth that is not wanted whether the issue is wage, reputation or something else.
Furthermore, educated transplants like myself and higher skilled workers move here and then we move away because this county does not have businesses that can use our skills...and those that do, hire their family members whether they are qualified or not.
Finally, and more the point of this thread, the Partnership's decision to encourage another Food City to come in next door to an existing Ingles is what is ridiculous. As a former poster pointed out, in the end it will likely remove one of our grocery store choices. I am all for competition and healthy growth. The addition of another Food City in the old Walmart building represents desperation of the Partnership to bring ANY business into town, not the kind of business that will help change the dwindling economy here or bring jobs that pay enough to sustain a family.
It's obvious to me that you truly have a grasp of the issue and are far more intelligent than many of the decision makers of Greene County. The partnership president is desperate, incompetent and has a serious drinking problem which constantly clouds his judgement. Everybody who knows him will tell you the same. I spoke to a lady yesterday who attended the Republican Women's luncheon this past Monday and she said he was one sickly looking individual. Yes, Greeneville/Greene County is dwindling and will continue to do so until proper recruiting practices are initiated. The mindset in this county is a job is a job and many of the decision makers don't care what locates here as long as it puts the unemployed back to work, as evidenced by the acceptance of a chemical manufacturing plant and grocery store. The citizens of Greene County deserve better.
Turd Ferguson

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 13, 2013
 
Silly Willie wrote:
<quoted text>
If your not crippled then respect those who are. Take your nasty ass home or use the ones provided for those who do not have a problem. You must be one selfish bast---!
My a-- may be nasty, but at least it ain't as nasty as your mouth!
Silly Willie

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 13, 2013
 
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
My a-- may be nasty, but at least it ain't as nasty as your mouth!
Good come back Turd! Your wit and intelligence overwhelms me.
Wet Willie

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 13, 2013
 
Turd Ferguson wrote:
<quoted text>
My a-- may be nasty, but at least it ain't as nasty as your mouth!
Turd, I have always enjoyed your "offerings," especially in the sink at the Burger Chef years ago. As far as I know, Silly Willie is not related to me, but in Greene County, who knows? He isn't me though. We just share the same last name. If we are related, hello cuz.
Silly Willie

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 13, 2013
 
Wet Willie wrote:
<quoted text>Turd, I have always enjoyed your "offerings," especially in the sink at the Burger Chef years ago. As far as I know, Silly Willie is not related to me, but in Greene County, who knows? He isn't me though. We just share the same last name. If we are related, hello cuz.
Wet Wille, I doubt we are cousins but like you said, you never know in Greeneville?..... Have a nice day!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of65
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

113 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 7 min WTSenior 123,570
How can we recruit some nice ladies here? 8 min Church 22
Linda Woolsey Running For Judge -- No Really Sh... 9 min you are sick 43
WHAT R ALL U Silent Viewers Reading??? 9 min Patience 41
I love this forum because?????? 14 min Annie Oakley 215
Greeneville fire now a murder investigation 15 min wondering 1
A Great Big Fck You 43 min _Word Woman_ 75
Greene County Mayor's Race 45 min Lazy 83
Greene County Clerk Race 56 min Your joking 106
•••
•••
•••
•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••