School Discipline in Greene County

School Discipline in Greene County

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Elizabethton, TN

#1 Nov 29, 2012
Whatís the deal with discipline in schools now? Do principals and assistant principals not know how to run a school? My child says teachers have to deal with the same kids doing the same stuff all day long and getting sent to the principalís office does absolutely nothing. She said the same kid interrupts the teacher all day long with comments, talking, and noises. The teacher has to constantly get stop her teaching to deal with the problems and when the kid gets enough marks to go to the principalís office, nothing gets done. The kid gets talked to, maybe a lunch detention, or something else, but nothing changes. The kid comes back just as bad as before if not worse because nothing happens. It happens day in, day out. I feel bad for the teachers who have to put up with this, and then the principal complains to the teachers when the assistant principal is the problem (although it seems the principal is the problem because she is the one who lets it go on).
Does this happen at all schools are just this one?
The principal and assistant principal at this school I am talking about need to go. It is ridiculous. I have talked to teachers and donít know of any who support them.
Concerned Too

Nashville, TN

#2 Nov 29, 2012
What school are you talking about?
used to be a teacher

Johnson City, TN

#3 Nov 29, 2012
I taught in both the city and the county. It is the same everywhere. It comes from the liberal way of thinking that spankinga are wrong- teachers' and principals' hands are tied. Parents telling there kids that "those teachers can't do anything to you" adds to the problem. Also, like our man child President, people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions or their children's. "Little Johnny couldn't have done that...it must have been another kid's fault or the teacher's." Truth is our society is doomed. After the last election, it is obvious that the majority of people are free loaders who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

“Listen, Think, Speak.”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#4 Nov 29, 2012
Concerned Too wrote:
What school are you talking about?
That's what I was wondering. Topix is so vague...you rarely get any clear, concise facts about anything.
spanx

Altamonte Springs, FL

#5 Nov 29, 2012
Thats whats wrong with kids today, most need a good a-- whoppin. This includes my children,i told their teachers if they misbehave they have my permission to paddle them. Thats the way it was when i grew up,if you did get a paddled you for sure would much less likley to do it again. I mean what do people expect, i mean what would you rather have a paddle to your butt or to "be talked to?" or detension, a good old fashion paddle is whats lacking, it dont take a rocket science to figure out!
GvilleGrad

Charlotte, NC

#6 Nov 29, 2012
I'm glad I never got a paddling , but the rewards keep the students from getting off track. Are you excited about Honors Day ?
South Greene Parent

Jonesborough, TN

#7 Nov 30, 2012
used to be a teacher wrote:
I taught in both the city and the county. It is the same everywhere. It comes from the liberal way of thinking that spankinga are wrong- teachers' and principals' hands are tied. Parents telling there kids that "those teachers can't do anything to you" adds to the problem. Also, like our man child President, people don't want to take responsibility for their own actions or their children's. "Little Johnny couldn't have done that...it must have been another kid's fault or the teacher's." Truth is our society is doomed. After the last election, it is obvious that the majority of people are free loaders who refuse to take responsibility for their actions.
Yeah, lets beat children. That's the answer?
Somehow I managed to teach in a school district that was allowed to paddle, but never did. We did not have the disclipline problems that I see in Greene County. As a relative newbie to this backwards place, I see children who are too entitled, whose athletic ability often outweighs any bad behavior and whose family ties keep them from being punished.
Bottom line, administrators here are too focused on looking for saggy pants and piercings, or watching school bus footage to try and catch the f-word, to focus on really disruptive behavior. When there is real disruption, they don't know what to do except beat children or send them of reform school so they can fail for the year. Somehow I don't think either one of those alternatives is going to produce a well rounded citizen in our community. And as for the teachers,the motto seems to be if anyone misbehaves, punish the whole class, or even the whole grade level. I mean really, establish a firm discpline plan at the beginning of the year and then use it. Praise publicly, discipline privately. It works.
I personally never spanked my children and they turned out just fine, not entitled, not trouble makers, A/B students.
In my home state, a parent spanking a child often resulted in a call to social services, usually made by the child getting spanked. So, if I can't/don't spank my child, I certainly am not going to allow some random teacher or principal to do it.
shett eater in bloodline

Charlotte, NC

#8 Nov 30, 2012
slap em plum up under the table . got to get anythings attention for it to respect you cat dog horse kid or WIFE

“You gotta stand for something”

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#9 Nov 30, 2012
spanx wrote:
Thats whats wrong with kids today, most need a good a-- whoppin. This includes my children,i told their teachers if they misbehave they have my permission to paddle them. Thats the way it was when i grew up,if you did get a paddled you for sure would much less likley to do it again. I mean what do people expect, i mean what would you rather have a paddle to your butt or to "be talked to?" or detension, a good old fashion paddle is whats lacking, it dont take a rocket science to figure out!
I agree! I believe corporal punishment and school prayer should both be reintroduced in the school systems.:) It takes around the clock, both home and school, not just either or to successfully mold a child.As the old adage goes...It takes a village to raise a child.
theangryguy

Athens, TN

#10 Nov 30, 2012
No, schools don't do anything but blame the home!!!!
BuckUpTakeYourBe atDown

Johnson City, TN

#11 Nov 30, 2012
Jenny H from the block wrote:
<quoted text>I agree! I believe corporal punishment and school prayer should both be reintroduced in the school systems.:) It takes around the clock, both home and school, not just either or to successfully mold a child.As the old adage goes...It takes a village to raise a child.
Wussy TASER is a correct all just ask the cops and its fun
oh well

Charleston, TN

#12 Nov 30, 2012
Beat the little Shiites with a paddle! There is nothing wrong with that.

“I'd like to propose a toaster”

Since: Oct 12

Chuckey, Tennessee

#13 Nov 30, 2012
South Greene Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, lets beat children. That's the answer?
Somehow I managed to teach in a school district that was allowed to paddle, but never did. We did not have the disclipline problems that I see in Greene County. As a relative newbie to this backwards place, I see children who are too entitled, whose athletic ability often outweighs any bad behavior and whose family ties keep them from being punished.
Bottom line, administrators here are too focused on looking for saggy pants and piercings, or watching school bus footage to try and catch the f-word, to focus on really disruptive behavior. When there is real disruption, they don't know what to do except beat children or send them of reform school so they can fail for the year. Somehow I don't think either one of those alternatives is going to produce a well rounded citizen in our community. And as for the teachers,the motto seems to be if anyone misbehaves, punish the whole class, or even the whole grade level. I mean really, establish a firm discpline plan at the beginning of the year and then use it. Praise publicly, discipline privately. It works.
I personally never spanked my children and they turned out just fine, not entitled, not trouble makers, A/B students.
In my home state, a parent spanking a child often resulted in a call to social services, usually made by the child getting spanked. So, if I can't/don't spank my child, I certainly am not going to allow some random teacher or principal to do it.
South Greene parent, if you don't like "this backwards place" go back to your home state. We don't need your better-than-the-locals attitude. And how dare you put down our Greene County children. Kids in Greene County are no worse than anywhere else.
South Greene Parent

Jonesborough, TN

#16 Dec 1, 2012
Flying Toaster wrote:
<quoted text>
South Greene parent, if you don't like "this backwards place" go back to your home state. We don't need your better-than-the-locals attitude. And how dare you put down our Greene County children. Kids in Greene County are no worse than anywhere else.
If I'd known how backwards this school system was, I would never have settled here in the first place. However, you are stuck with me now. I don't think I am better than you, I just think the school district I came from is better than Greene County at handling discipline problems. You will never convince me that beating children improves them.

“I'd like to propose a toaster”

Since: Oct 12

Chuckey, Tennessee

#17 Dec 1, 2012
South Greene Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
If I'd known how backwards this school system was, I would never have settled here in the first place. However, you are stuck with me now. I don't think I am better than you, I just think the school district I came from is better than Greene County at handling discipline problems. You will never convince me that beating children improves them.
http://www.unitedvanlines.com/mover/
Craaaaazzzzy

Johnson City, TN

#18 Dec 1, 2012
I honestly don't know where everyone is getting this idea that kids would be so much better if there was spanking in school. I think back to when I was in school and there were plenty of spankings (in front of everyone- not just in the principals office). I personally was never spanked at school and it was certainly a deterrent from misbehaving for me. However, there were plenty of kids who got spanked regularly but continued with their regular antics of classroom disrupting, even including fistfights. Oh yeah, an we even prayed in school every morning too (at least in those early years). Those kids who were spanked and prayed when prompted did not magically turn in to little angels, however. Many wound up in jail or in graves from drug overdoses. Sorry, but that theory is just wrong that mandated school prayer and spanking cures all. In fact, I'll go so far as to bet that if you went down to the jail right now and asked how many were spanked as children you'd likely get a 99% were spanked. I don't have a problem with parents spanking their kids if done appropriately( not beating), but when you give that kind of power to a teacher, there can be problems (for both the kid and the teacher). I guess my feelings about this stem from what I saw day to day as a student in a certain third grade classroom at Hal Henard Elementary School with a certain male teacher who liked to fondle boys and much delighted in spanking them for such things as not opening a book up exactly in the middle each time. I remember him spanking a little girl so hard one time for that same thing that she was hyperventilating, snot was going all over the place, and I was so terrified of that man.
South Greene Parent

Jonesborough, TN

#19 Dec 2, 2012
Flying Toaster wrote:
You pay, I'll go. Oh, yeah, you will need to buy my house, too. Otherwise you might have to consider someone else's opinion and come to the realization that just because that's the way it's always been done around here doesn't necessarily make it a good idea or the best idea. People from other places should be allowed to use their brains in Greeneville even though it is obvious new ideas scare you.
Hmmm

Marion, VA

#20 Dec 2, 2012
Liberal have ruined everything. School officials are merely political appointees, so they do not have any SPINE.

Since: Jul 11

United States

#21 Dec 2, 2012
South Greene Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, lets beat children. That's the answer?
Somehow I managed to teach in a school district that was allowed to paddle, but never did. We did not have the disclipline problems that I see in Greene County. As a relative newbie to this backwards place, I see children who are too entitled, whose athletic ability often outweighs any bad behavior and whose family ties keep them from being punished.
Bottom line, administrators here are too focused on looking for saggy pants and piercings, or watching school bus footage to try and catch the f-word, to focus on really disruptive behavior. When there is real disruption, they don't know what to do except beat children or send them of reform school so they can fail for the year. Somehow I don't think either one of those alternatives is going to produce a well rounded citizen in our community. And as for the teachers,the motto seems to be if anyone misbehaves, punish the whole class, or even the whole grade level. I mean really, establish a firm discpline plan at the beginning of the year and then use it. Praise publicly, discipline privately. It works.
I personally never spanked my children and they turned out just fine, not entitled, not trouble makers, A/B students.
In my home state, a parent spanking a child often resulted in a call to social services, usually made by the child getting spanked. So, if I can't/don't spank my child, I certainly am not going to allow some random teacher or principal to do it.
Your message however well stated was lost when you insulted our county with your blanket statement, calling us backwards. I hope you haven't passed your bad attitude to your children. By the way is your child a baggy pant, pierced kid trying to fit in with us backward folks? When in Rome.....
SURPLUSforwardGO Pfarce

Johnson City, TN

#23 Dec 2, 2012
wealthy conservative kids have teachers in private schools daddy can control so they do as they please and grow up to be -W- .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Husband wants lingerie 2 min draintheswamp 3
Trump past 3 min draintheswamp 9
Trump running scared 7 min draintheswamp 19
China imposes 179% tariff on US grain 43 min BirdsOfAFeather 29
Kilday 1 hr Elmer 8
You know whatís funny? 5 hr Getwhatyouvotedfor 35
What do u know about Stacy Greene? (Sep '15) 6 hr Biotch 36

Greeneville Jobs

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages