Tri Cities Busted/ East TN Mugshots illegal?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 54 Comments Last updated Jun 6, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Busted!(Privacy Violation or Not?)
In the area where I live (VA/TN), there is a weekly paper called Tri-Cities Busted that contains photographs and alleged "crimes" of various people. The photos are, of police dept mugshots. The paper clearly states on the cover and throughout several pages that the people contained within it have only been ACCUSED of the crimes attached to their names, not CONVICTED. The publishers of the paper, who seem to be cloaked in a shroud of anonymity and go by the trade name "Tri-Cities Busted" with only a phone number and a post office box to identify them.The publishers also claim that the information provided in the pages of the Busted paper is information that is freely available to the public from various law enforcement agencies in the area. I don't know about YOUR area, but I do know that in THIS area where they are obtaining their information, law enforcement agencies DO NOT provide full names and details about charges against defendants to "just anyone" from the public. Otherwise, we could all call up the local P.D. and ask for a list of names, charges, and (mugshots) for everyone arrested within a particular time frame. In a day and time where anyone can accuse someone of just about anything and have that person arrested and forced to endure the judicial process to determine actual guilt, isn't this a violation of a person's right to privacy? Friends, family members, employers, and potential employers likely peruse this little rag of a paper...and in most people's minds, it implies guilt before conviction. Charges can be dismissed, the actual guilty party can be located, evidence can be introduced that exonerates the accused...but these people are already "guilty" in the mind of the public because their picture was shown with a little blurb stating what they supposedly did that was against the law. Even in society, this "newspaper" can have damaging consequences for certain people. An example...a company executive just finished a round of interviews and has a potential candidate for the position at the forefront of his mind, and thumbs through the Busted flyer during his lunch break. He sees the potential candidate, who was the most qualified, as having been arrested on various charges and immediately decides that the person is no longer a viable prospect. If that person is subsequently convicted of the charges, perhaps he made a wise decision...but what if that person was charged in a case of mistaken identity, evidence was introduced in court that cleared him of wrongdoing, or the charges were otherwise dismissed?
And yet another example...someone reads through the flyer and discovers that one of their neighbors has been charged with a crime. Let's say...distribution of drugs. Or even domestic violence. That neighbor is now automatically considered a "criminal" by the do-gooder reading the paper and every move made henceforth is under scrutiny for the opportunity for the do-gooder to notify the police that "something else" is now going on at the alleged criminal's house. This would be harassment, naturally...and especially if the accused was subsequently cleared of the charges. When does a person's right to privacy and someone else's "right" to violate that privacy become a controversial and disputable issue?
Virginia Code 8.01-40 prohibits the use of any person's name or picture for the purpose of "trade" (profit) without that person's written consent.(See http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe... for legal citation.)
Tennessee Code 47-25-1103 states that every individual has a "property right" interest in the use of their name, photograph, or likeness in any medium and in any manner.(See http://law.justia.com/tennessee/codes/2010/ti... for legal citation.)
Based on Virginia and Tennessee law, the publishers of Tri-Cities Busted are clearly violating the law many times over every week with each publication of their tabloid.
IMO

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

IMO you're fighting a loosing battle. If they make the busted papers illegal, then they would also have to make it illegal for every news organization to show names and pictures of people being arrested.

Imagine CNN not being able to show you the name and picture of your next door neighbor just arrested for murder or for child molestation. It'll never happen.

I just wished they would post when the people are convicted and their sentence also.
Downtowner

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

5

3

3

I think "Busted" and "Tennessee Mugshots" do a public service to alert the community to the people who disrespect the law... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

4

2

1

I happen to think they should wait for a conviction before they are able to publish anything at all.
Yep

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 30, 2013
 
unvrno75 wrote:
I happen to think they should wait for a conviction before they are able to publish anything at all.
Are you sure about this? As IMO stated above, try to imagine someone in your town getting murdered. Now imagine the police making an arrest and going through the trial process. Unfortunately, they can't publish the name or photo of the person arrested for it until he has been proven guilty in court?

Is that what you really want?

“Why So Serious...”

Since: Dec 12

Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure about this? As IMO stated above, try to imagine someone in your town getting murdered. Now imagine the police making an arrest and going through the trial process. Unfortunately, they can't publish the name or photo of the person arrested for it until he has been proven guilty in court?
Is that what you really want?
Well yeah, because a person is innocent until proven guilty...

Innocent do get arrested, would you want your picture in that paper because you were wrongly arrested ...
IMO

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

The original poster probably got busted for something and is pissed their picture is in there.
IMO

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I wonder how many people get wrongly arrested in Greene county. I'd like to see that statistic. Maybe 1 per 100,000?
IMO

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

And that 1 probably didn't get wrongly arrested, probably just got a good lawyer and paid some under the table money to get out of it.
need reported

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 30, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

If you will read the Greeneville Sun it happened here section you will see there are in fact several people getting numerous charges dismissed almost every single day so in fact there are many innocent individuals being wrongfully accused but still being put on display for nosy busy bodies that live to gossip and put people down.
matt

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Mar 7, 2013
 
What is the address and phone number for tri cities busted paper?
Mitch13

Dowagiac, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Mar 8, 2013
 
I live in kingsport and I do believe that this paper is awesome. Not only do I get a good laugh but most if the people in that paper have been in it multiple times. And once you get arrested wether your guilty it not it becomes public information. I mean now days you can google someone name an area they live in and it will come up there history. So it's fairly easy to find stuff like that out. Plus if you go to times news. Com they also have a sport it's sorta like busted but it has all the mugshots as soon as someone gets booked. So they do the same thing as busted. Personally I live busted I have found numerous things about people who live next to me out from that paper.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I think the bitch that thought this up is a whore to society. These busted people have enough shit to deal with without everybody at work posting their mug shots on the company bulletin board. You all think it's funny until you're in one. No, I've not been in it yet. Luckily, all the shit I was into was before this rag came out. And no, it wasn't drugs or theft. Purely violence. I do have a little self respect. Was the day when dealing out a good ass-whooping was applauded by society. What in the Hell has this world come to?
Greene Guy

Jefferson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

3

2

the best way to keep your picture out of Busted..... is to quit stealing, doing illegal drugs and driving drunk. These simple steps would put them out of business and clean up the crime in Greeneville/Greene Co

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Greene Guy wrote:
the best way to keep your picture out of Busted..... is to quit stealing, doing illegal drugs and driving drunk. These simple steps would put them out of business and clean up the crime in Greeneville/Greene Co
Screw you! I'm not going to qit stealing, doing illegal drugs OR driving drunk! Everybody needs a hobby, and these just happen to be mine! The best thing for you to do is bring me some drugs and booze. I'll steal from my neighbors. At least this will keep me off the roads.
Hey

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

I agree with the original post. I believe you should first be convicted or have at least confessed to the wrong doing. Innocent people do get wrongly accused, and charges get dropped from them. However, after ones picture is in that paper, people jump on the crime control wagon and presume that the suspect is guilty, not innocent. This can ruin relationships, cost people jobs, and cause humility. This paper needs to be stopped, or at the very least wait until the guilty party is convicted to save the reputation of those who are in fact innocent.

And before you say that I'm a lowlife drug addicted thief and murderer, I'm a criminal justice major who has never been in trouble in my life

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 8, 2013
 
Hey wrote:
I agree with the original post. I believe you should first be convicted or have at least confessed to the wrong doing. Innocent people do get wrongly accused, and charges get dropped from them. However, after ones picture is in that paper, people jump on the crime control wagon and presume that the suspect is guilty, not innocent. This can ruin relationships, cost people jobs, and cause humility. This paper needs to be stopped, or at the very least wait until the guilty party is convicted to save the reputation of those who are in fact innocent.
And before you say that I'm a lowlife drug addicted thief and murderer, I'm a criminal justice major who has never been in trouble in my life
Me too!
Whatever

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Hey wrote:
I agree with the original post. I believe you should first be convicted or have at least confessed to the wrong doing. Innocent people do get wrongly accused, and charges get dropped from them. However, after ones picture is in that paper, people jump on the crime control wagon and presume that the suspect is guilty, not innocent. This can ruin relationships, cost people jobs, and cause humility. This paper needs to be stopped, or at the very least wait until the guilty party is convicted to save the reputation of those who are in fact innocent.
And before you say that I'm a lowlife drug addicted thief and murderer, I'm a criminal justice major who has never been in trouble in my life
I actually think if you are arrested and found innocent before a jury. All your fees, bail, lawyer,etc. should be refunded.
Just My Opinion

Greeneville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Mar 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I look at it every week, but I agree that mugshots should only be released to the public when found guilty.

“East Tennessee Arrest Reports ”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Mar 10, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Your tax dollars are used to produce these arrests and the mugshots that follow. The public has every right to see what is produced using their money. I agree there are probably innocent people posted on easttennesseemugshots.com but the fact remains there was probable cause to arrest them and arrests are public knowledge and totally seperate to convictions. We do not say anyone posted on our site is guilty or innocent of any crime. We merely publish a list of those who have been arrested by local law officials.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

91 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 min WTSenior 141,733
sheriff's wife on his county payroll? 59 min Not a fan 5
randy rodgers dead ? 1 hr jealous one 1
U.S Nitrogen/ Austin Powders (Oct '11) 1 hr yankee 146
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WOW 8,990
GPD cruiser parked in handicap space at Electio... 1 hr Another 4
Jamey Patrick 1 hr Get a clue 1
County Clerk - my choice 1 hr no really 16
Lost respect for GPD 4 hr bobbye jr whyte 81
lady i pulled weeds with behind that church tha... 7 hr BongHits4Jaysus 13
good ole boys- lets name them 13 hr BROYLESville King 14
•••
•••
•••
•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••