Obama blames Secret Service for tour cancellation

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Greene Guy

United States

#1 Mar 13, 2013
President Obama insisted Wednesday that the Secret Service was behind the controversial suspension of White House tours, a claim that was met with vocal skepticism during a closed-door meeting with Republicans.

The president, while leaving open the option of resuming tours for school children, explained to House Republicans during a meeting on Capitol Hill that "the Secret Service made the decision," Fox News has learned.

The claim, similar to one he made in an interview broadcast Wednesday morning, was met with a round of "ahaaaaas" by those in the room

Since: Dec 12

Lancaster, SC

#2 Mar 13, 2013
Greene Guy wrote:
President Obama insisted Wednesday that the Secret Service was behind the controversial suspension of White House tours, a claim that was met with vocal skepticism during a closed-door meeting with Republicans.
The president, while leaving open the option of resuming tours for school children, explained to House Republicans during a meeting on Capitol Hill that "the Secret Service made the decision," Fox News has learned.
The claim, similar to one he made in an interview broadcast Wednesday morning, was met with a round of "ahaaaaas" by those in the room
Yep! Yet he, the Mrs. & the kids continue their trips. Children from Iowa & other places certainly had their hearts set on tours which had been planned for quite some time in advance, only to be turned away. Meanwhile, I and many other hard working Americans, will probably have to forego another vacation this year due to the economy. Sad shape this place is in anymore.
Republican Logic

Greeneville, TN

#3 Mar 14, 2013
Greene Guy wrote:
President Obama insisted Wednesday that the Secret Service was behind the controversial suspension of White House tours, a claim that was met with vocal skepticism during a closed-door meeting with Republicans.
The president, while leaving open the option of resuming tours for school children, explained to House Republicans during a meeting on Capitol Hill that "the Secret Service made the decision," Fox News has learned.
The claim, similar to one he made in an interview broadcast Wednesday morning, was met with a round of "ahaaaaas" by those in the room
You Republicans claim that you want to cut spending and then whine and bitch when cuts are made.

Since: Dec 12

Lancaster, SC

#4 Mar 14, 2013
Republican Logic wrote:
<quoted text>You Republicans claim that you want to cut spending and then whine and bitch when cuts are made.
I read estimates of where our tax dollars paid around 1 million dollars for Obama's golfing excursion with Tiger. They are vacationing all over the place, NOT even portraying these outings as diplomatic events. Meanwhile, we the tax payer who pay for these things continue to make cuts in our own lives whether it is doing without modest vacations, cutting back on items at the grocery store, cutting out movies/cable/Internet, eating out, etc. These are things WE WORK FOR & SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO HAVE BUT MUST CUT DUE TO TAXES which keep up the King of Welfare, Mr. Obama.

School children deprived of visiting a place of national significance that may have been a highlight of their vacation or scholastic achievement trip is not setting a good example for leadership or merit based achievement. Meanwhile, Mr. Obama lives large at the tax payers expense.
Republican Logic

Greeneville, TN

#5 Mar 14, 2013
Nita Mann wrote:
<quoted text>
I read estimates of where our tax dollars paid around 1 million dollars for Obama's golfing excursion with Tiger. They are vacationing all over the place, NOT even portraying these outings as diplomatic events. Meanwhile, we the tax payer who pay for these things continue to make cuts in our own lives whether it is doing without modest vacations, cutting back on items at the grocery store, cutting out movies/cable/Internet, eating out, etc. These are things WE WORK FOR & SHOULD BE ENTITLED TO HAVE BUT MUST CUT DUE TO TAXES which keep up the King of Welfare, Mr. Obama.
School children deprived of visiting a place of national significance that may have been a highlight of their vacation or scholastic achievement trip is not setting a good example for leadership or merit based achievement. Meanwhile, Mr. Obama lives large at the tax payers expense.
Do you want cuts in spending or not? Do you want to dictate where the cuts are made so your pet projects are not affected?

Since: Dec 12

Lancaster, SC

#6 Mar 14, 2013
Republican Logic wrote:
<quoted text>Do you want cuts in spending or not? Do you want to dictate where the cuts are made so your pet projects are not affected?
I could suggest for you to re-read my previous post but I doubt your reading comprehension has improved in the last hour. My point is, why should we make all of these cuts in our daily lives so Obama & family can continue living large? Should he not lead by example? We the tax payer feel the pain in our income & how we can spend our hard earned money. I would rather have school children able to visit the White House as an educational endeavor than having O playing around with a troubled golfer or spending on able-bodied welfare recipients draining the system. So, I suppose I would like to pick & choose funding for "pet projects". Thank you for the inquiry & I hope my response is understandable this time. G'day!
idk

Johnson City, TN

#7 Mar 14, 2013
Republican Logic, I just don't see where your logic is. I don't see that Republicans are whining. Logical cuts have not been made. Obama knows where cuts need to be made,but he won't touch entitlements. Make people get off their asses and not rely on welfare, food stamps and other entitlements they think they deserve. They need to cut pork from a lot of their "deals." Why does Nancy Pelosi need a study done on a mouse in her state? Why does Harry Reid need money to go to his Cowboy Poetry club? Why does Michelle Obama have to have her wine tasting parties at the White House. I know there is a lot of pork, from both sides, but cut those. Cut things that serve no purpose. Like most of their vacations. He doesn't pay for mine, why should I help pay for his. Do you enjoy paying for his. And people will come back with the facts about all of Bush's vacations. That was then and this is now and our country is collapsing in front of our eyes every day because of Obama and something needs to be done. I know you will disagree, but my opinion.
Seriously

Travelers Rest, SC

#8 Mar 15, 2013
The Obamas pay for their vacations out of their pocket and Bush took twice as many vacations and spent twice as much money on them and no one gave a crap. Look it up.

Since: Dec 12

Brevard, NC

#9 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously wrote:
The Obamas pay for their vacations out of their pocket and Bush took twice as many vacations and spent twice as much money on them and no one gave a crap. Look it up.
Even if they paid for THEIR own hotel rooms or vacation incidentals, are they paying for all the Secret Service agent's pay/rooms/food/gasoline/transp ortation ??? Didn't think so!
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#10 Mar 15, 2013
Nope and neither has any other President in history. Part of the package deal of becoming a president and protecting one of the most powerful men in the world. The same secret service was there watching Bush cut wood on his ranch. Why didn't you get mad about that?
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#11 Mar 15, 2013
From January 2009 thru Oct 2012 Obama took 72 vacation days. Lydon Johnson took 484 days. Ronald Reagan took 436. George Bush 490 days - an average of 4 months away every year.
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#12 Mar 15, 2013
Actually I got this wrong. Bush spent 490 days at his ranch. And an additional 487 days at camp david. Bush used Air force One 77 times to go to his ranch costing approx $259,687 a flight totalling 20 million for the flights to his ranch alone.

Since: Dec 12

Brevard, NC

#13 Mar 15, 2013
hello wrote:
Nope and neither has any other President in history. Part of the package deal of becoming a president and protecting one of the most powerful men in the world. The same secret service was there watching Bush cut wood on his ranch. Why didn't you get mad about that?
Well, lets see, was the economy suffering to the extent it is currently? No.

Was the national debt soaring to the point it is now? No.

Did the White House deny tours to school children while spending radically and supporting entitlement programs galore? No.

There is NO doubt the government is an example of how not to rationalize spending, no matter what political party controls. My point is, we cannot continue on the road we are without catastrophic consequences to all. OMG HOW WILL THE GOV BENEFITS PEOPLE MAKE IT IF OUR ECONOMY COLLAPSES & NOBODY CAN KEEP THEM UP?!!! 47% of working people keeping up 53% of bottom feeders cannot continue. People must become self-reliant & stop relying on government " entitlement " programs. Do you really support your hard earned money, IF IT IS HARD EARNED, being spent to keep up people able to work? I can't afford things I used to be able to do because of high taxes & paying for my own insurance. Why is it fair that I must cut back so lazy ass welfare people can have???? Hmmmmm???
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#14 Mar 15, 2013
Did you know that the most of the people getting "entitlements" are Republicans? Yep. Republicans get the most entitlements. Republican states pay the least in taxes and Republican states are the least educated. So when you scream about people getting entitlements, you are screaming at your own party.
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#15 Mar 15, 2013
The states who get the most government benefits are New Mexico, Mississippi, Alaska, Louisiana, W. Virginia, N Dakota, Alabama, S Dakota, Virginia and Kentucky.
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#16 Mar 15, 2013
Ths states that GIVE more to the federal government in taxes are New Jersey, Neveda, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Illinois, Delaware, California, New York and Colorado. DEMOCRATIC STATES

Since: Dec 12

Brevard, NC

#17 Mar 15, 2013
hello wrote:
Did you know that the most of the people getting "entitlements" are Republicans? Yep. Republicans get the most entitlements. Republican states pay the least in taxes and Republican states are the least educated. So when you scream about people getting entitlements, you are screaming at your own party.
Dearest troll, I seriously doubt Republicans are the least educated as compared to Democrats. Certainly, there are some states which are more liberal or conservative than others. Your comment that Republicans are receiving "entitlements" simply because they pay lower taxes is misguided at best. Some Sates have lower taxes than others. That is a State government issue. What I'm talking about is welfare & all the freebies to people who won't work. You never answered my questions posed above. When you do then I might engage in additional conversation.
hello

Travelers Rest, SC

#18 Mar 15, 2013
Its called Google. All you have to do is Google "States that receive the most benefits or entitlements". You can also search for least educated states. You can even do this search on the Fox webpage and you will get the answer I gave you. Genetally the states that pay the least taxes have the least jobs therefore need the most benefits.
Idk

Johnson City, TN

#19 Mar 15, 2013
Seriously. Seriously? The Obama's pay for their vacations out of their own pocket. I think you are sadly mistaken. And Hello, I'm proud of you cause you have mastered Google. We are living in the present, not the past. Our economy has NEVER been as bad as it is right now. All entitlements should be cut, whether it be Republican or Democrat. Whether it be white, black, green or yellow. This is not a party issue, we are all Americans and we need to be irate because WE are paying for useless nonsense. Our economy is in the shitter and all you are talking about is Rebubs doing this and Repubs doing that. My gosh man, where is everybodies common sense. It's like kids in an argument "I know you are, but what am I?" Grow up.
Whatever

Greeneville, TN

#20 Mar 15, 2013
What entitlements should be cut? Social Security?

The retired population of now and the soon to be shouldn't receive, that, that they have paid in to for most of their life? Are all of you willing to take your retired parents that rely upon S.S. into your homes and support them?

I know that some don't rely completely upon S.S. but many do. The same goes for Medicare. Many have paid taxes for Medicare from the time that the program was implemented. Should they not receive return for what they have paid for?

It seems as though many of us have forgotten the true generations that have built our country and turning our backs on them is honorable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***** last post wins ***** 1 hr Alex Nicole 279
Satan's power waxing every day in our fallen land 1 hr TheUnkownPoster 10
Sammi Cooper a beotch or what? 1 hr Rhett Scarlett 5
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 1 hr TheUnkownPoster 5,026
Tragedy 2 hr Trunketeer 8
jobs 4 hr readsthepaper 1
wreck 4 hr tammy 30
What do you think about one night stands 4 hr Dixie iron fist 30
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:20 pm PST

Bleacher Report 1:20PM
Fitzpatrick Announced as Starter vs. Titans
NBC Sports 1:37 PM
Zach Mettenberger sends himself to selfie rehab
NBC Sports 2:00 PM
Ryan Kalil says his brother's hat-flick was all his fault
NFL 2:01 PM
Shaun Phillips claimed by Indianapolis Colts
NBC Sports 2:11 PM
Shaun Phillps lands with Colts