WSCC sure looks good now
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pride

Greeneville, TN

#21 Apr 24, 2013
runaway slave wrote:
<quoted text>
By the college's best estimate the house was built between 1860-65. Is there a single other house in Greeneville that was built during the Civil War? Unique to the history of Greeneville? Disappear it, watch the house disappear. And did the college examine the double walled cistern, or did they leave that to the demolition guys? Luvya Walters State, you so strong.
I am filled with pride when drive by and I see the rubble that has been left in place for weeks now since Walters State did their thing to bring progress to Greeneville. I will even repeat your last sentence: Luvya Walters State, you so strong.
Hmm

Elizabethton, TN

#22 Apr 24, 2013
Pride wrote:
<quoted text>I am filled with pride when drive by and I see the rubble that has been left in place for weeks now since Walters State did their thing to bring progress to Greeneville. I will even repeat your last sentence: Luvya Walters State, you so strong.
Looks like some of the lovers of the old house, would go over there and pick up the pieces. They could take it to a vacant lot and put the house back together again. Then they could ignore from now on like they did when it was at the Walter State site. Now that it's gone they are so sad. Yeah right!
You Won

Greeneville, TN

#23 Apr 24, 2013
Hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like some of the lovers of the old house, would go over there and pick up the pieces. They could take it to a vacant lot and put the house back together again. Then they could ignore from now on like they did when it was at the Walter State site. Now that it's gone they are so sad. Yeah right!
You and your side won or lost as the case may be at the cost to Greeneville's forgotten heritage. Why do you feel it necessary to keep rubbing salt into a wound?

Everything is not about money for everyone.

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#24 Apr 24, 2013
You Won wrote:
<quoted text>You and your side won or lost as the case may be at the cost to Greeneville's forgotten heritage. Why do you feel it necessary to keep rubbing salt into a wound?
Everything is not about money for everyone.
There is plenty of history in Greeneville, and I'm sure that if that house was truly of that great importance, the conservationist group of Greeneville would have saved it from demolition. I know many people care about history and how we got from there to here, but do we save it at the cost of no parking and crowded classrooms for those of us that do choose to further our education? My opinion... Stop worrying so much about the past "history" and let them build a better future. I have a 100 year old outhouse... Am I to be chastised if I tear it down?!?
Hmm

Elizabethton, TN

#25 Apr 24, 2013
GApeach-TNflower wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of history in Greeneville, and I'm sure that if that house was truly of that great importance, the conservationist group of Greeneville would have saved it from demolition. I know many people care about history and how we got from there to here, but do we save it at the cost of no parking and crowded classrooms for those of us that do choose to further our education? My opinion... Stop worrying so much about the past "history" and let them build a better future. I have a 100 year old outhouse... Am I to be chastised if I tear it down?!?
Thank you!

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#26 Apr 24, 2013
Hmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you!
No problem!:)
runaway slave

Macon, GA

#27 Apr 24, 2013
GApeach-TNflower wrote:
<quoted text>
There is plenty of history in Greeneville, and I'm sure that if that house was truly of that great importance, the conservationist group of Greeneville would have saved it from demolition. I know many people care about history and how we got from there to here, but do we save it at the cost of no parking and crowded classrooms for those of us that do choose to further our education? My opinion... Stop worrying so much about the past "history" and let them build a better future. I have a 100 year old outhouse... Am I to be chastised if I tear it down?!?
Walters State could have had both the old house and the new bldg. The teardown was unnecessary. Repeat that to yourself a hundred or so times. Good design allows for co-existence of old and new, bad design destroys the old.

Your confidence in Greeneville's "conservationist group" is wildly misplaced.

Perhaps you're unaware that the George Jones house differed in many ways from your hundred year old outhouse. You can do with your hundred year old outhouse as you please.

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#28 Apr 24, 2013
runaway slave wrote:
<quoted text>
Walters State could have had both the old house and the new bldg. The teardown was unnecessary. Repeat that to yourself a hundred or so times. Good design allows for co-existence of old and new, bad design destroys the old.
Your confidence in Greeneville's "conservationist group" is wildly misplaced.
Perhaps you're unaware that the George Jones house differed in many ways from your hundred
year old outhouse. You can do with your
hundred year old outhouse as you please.
I guess the fact that I could care less about either is what I'm trying to say... It is/was Walters State Property. You and no one else should have any say in a property that DOES NOT belong to you.

Past preservation or future progression?!?
The past has gotten me thus far, but the future is limitless. No one should live in the past.

I'll chose the future. <--- I'll repeat that a million times.
runaway slave

Townsville, NC

#29 Apr 25, 2013
GApeach-TNflower wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the fact that I could care less about either is what I'm trying to say... It is/was Walters State Property. You and no one else should have any say in a property that DOES NOT belong to you.
Past preservation or future progression?!?
The past has gotten me thus far, but the future is limitless. No one should live in the past.
I'll chose the future. <--- I'll repeat that a million times.
The state of Tennessee owns the college property. It belongs to me as much as to any other resident of Tennessee, if I may say so. So glad you could care less. So glad the future is limitless.

“Cure 4 ignorance-> Knowledge!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#30 Apr 25, 2013
runaway slave wrote:
<quoted text>
The state of Tennessee owns the college property. It belongs to me as much as to any other resident of Tennessee, if I may say so. So glad you could care less. So glad the future is limitless.
When has the state ever cared what you think/feel?
so sa

Greeneville, TN

#31 Apr 25, 2013
So sad to see the landmark gone.
so sad

Greeneville, TN

#32 Apr 25, 2013
yeah just made me cry
Hmm

Elizabethton, TN

#33 Apr 25, 2013
So glad to see that eye soar gone. I bet none of you so called lovers have ever even darkened the doors of that house. To run away slave. Go out there and start digging on that land that you say you own. See how much of your dirt you get to keep before you get hauled off to jail.
runaway slave

Henderson, NC

#34 May 6, 2013
Pride wrote:
<quoted text>I am filled with pride when drive by and I see the rubble that has been left in place for weeks now since Walters State did their thing to bring progress to Greeneville. I will even repeat your last sentence: Luvya Walters State, you so strong.
The Main Street: Greeneville organization made no attempt to preserve the George Jones house. Their website states an interest in historic preservation and also tells us with modest pride that "Greeneville lies in northeast Tennessee adjacent to the Application Trail and is often referred to 'as a jewei in the shadow of the Smoky Mountains.' The Application Trail should attract thousands of programmers to town. Some of them may even notice the misapplication of the wrecking ball at 224 North Main. We are certain that Main Street: Greeneville will correct its smile inducing typos soon. If only the needless destruction of a Civil War era house were so easily amended.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Finally equal rights under the law for all 10 min HUMANIST 212
3 million dollar lawsuit against county 11 min Inquiring minds 6
Flag rally 24 min Trunketeer 7
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 28 min White_Lightning 8,087
Who is the hottest guy in town? (Aug '10) 41 min Fan Girls 76
IF y0u 0nLy KnEw 50 min in love 9
Lost dogs 1 hr Sheriff Larry 2
Movie to be filmed in Greene County, TN 1 hr Rebel Hill 39
Entire Tennessee county clerk staff resigns 3 hr those old supremes 25
Do you support keeping the Confederate Flag? 5 hr George Wallace 28
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages