Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

Overall, I find the students at DeBusk to be too entitled. Some of them are really sweet, but the clique-y atmosphere in the school among staff, students, and parents is obvious. If you have the right last name and/or if your parents work there you are put on a pedestal and allowed to do and say whatever without much consequence. I feel really sorry for those students whose parents are not well liked because they are singled out for behaviors and never seem to make the cut for any of the sports teams despite their obvious talent. I often wonder how long it will take for some of adults at DeBusk to let go of their petty high-school grudges against each other and just treat all the children the same.
right

Julian, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

AMEN!!! its not just debusk i think it's all the greene county schools
for me

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

fdfvbdfg wrote:
good kids ? Bad kids?
For me it would be better said: good parents? bad parents?
amen

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

My kids go to Debusk and they are singled out as bad kids,I so agree with Debusk Parent. I have to share what i heard at a field trip one year,one of the teachers was talking to a parent in front of all the other parents and students telling the parent"Your child has nothing to worry about they know they have a good last name". Seriously i think its bull. There are alot of talented kids at Debusk that wont get the chance they deserve because they dont have a GOOD LAST NAME!!!!!!!!!!1
AnOminous

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast.It ain't just Debusk folks,it's like that in every school USA. Looking back on it all,I thank all those "GOOD LAST NAME" aholes.If weren't for them I may have never known I was a great musician.I was a good ball player in school but when I changed schools my last name wasn't good enough to make the team.Well they couldn't keep me off the music team.
AnOminous

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

BTW,they didn't let me in school band either.I got my music lessons from Roy Clark & Tony Iommi off vinyl @ the house.
anotherdebuskpar ent

Murfreesboro, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

i totally agree with debusk parent. if you don't have casteel or arwood blood in you or play every sport and be outstanding at it you are a nobody. i have four kids the oldest being 25 all of them have attended debusk school it is unbelievable what favortism i have seen in that school it gets worse every year!
mamaw

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

Judged:

I certainly agree with what is being said here. As a grandmother of 4 grandchildren at Debusk, I have personally seen the favoritism. Sports and all other aspects. For the past 13 years I have concluded that Liz "runs" the school. Not really sure why they even waste money to pay a principal. The whole "family" (depending on your blood line) takes charge of every event, activity and heaven forbid someone not "in the family" tries out for any sport. It's simply not going to happen. By the way, in the course of my employment I have been in almost every Greene County elementary school. Debusk is absolutely filthy. I have even had sales reps. comment on that aspect. Nothing's going to change. It's still going to be the same kids....followed by their kids..... keep the heritage going....Sad... so sad to to see all the wasted talent. Not to mention the hurt it causes those that aren't even given a chance. It just follows on to high school.... The result.... low self-esteem in kids that could have really been standouts.... given half the chance.
mad baby

Stanley, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2011

amen wrote:
My kids go to Debusk and they are singled out as bad kids,I so agree with Debusk Parent. I have to share what i heard at a field trip one year,one of the teachers was talking to a parent in front of all the other parents and students telling the parent"Your child has nothing to worry about they know they have a good last name". Seriously i think its bull. There are alot of talented kids at Debusk that wont get the chance they deserve because they dont have a GOOD LAST NAME!!!!!!!!!!1
Ah! The OLRs.....
I see wind of change

Nolensville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

I have kid's at Debusk, New to the area and I have not seen all this, my kids are treated as equals and am very happy with everyone there. As far as the tread about Miss Thomas, she as been nothing but nice to me and my kids. My kids don't play any sports and are very much part of the school. Sounds to me like a bunch of parents that are spoiled and does not get their way. If you have problems with the Prom, then I suggest quit complaining about it and talk with Mr. Malone about having a meeting between the parents and Miss Thomas. Like some else said, There are place that you could hold a prom as parents for the kids. I bet you would see if you were in charge of this what really takes place. As far as last name having control attend Booster club meeting make your vote strong and change coaching and be nominated and elected to be a booster official. It is my understand from talk in the school, that the whole Booster officers are stepping down. Instead of complaining make a difference.
DeBusk Parent

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

You have the same positive attitude I had when my children started at DeBusk some years ago. Give it a few years and you will be changing your tune. I did try Booster, volunteering and PTO and found that in spite of putting my name at the top of every volunteer list, I was never called. Then I would go to meetings and listen to them complain about the lack of help for events. I also found that every suggestion I made for doing anything different was dismissed. I was told repeatedly. "We do it this way every year." As I broached these disappointments with other parents who were conspicuously absent from the meetings I found that even some parents who grew up in this community were treated this way and like me they had given up trying to work with the few people who do control things. I also tried talking to the principal about extra-curricular and educational issues and bascially found that he has no control over his teachers nor his Booster Club. I find the circumstances at DeBusk frustrating and I hope that you are right in thinking things could be changing. Until then I have found it best to stay off the radar with my opinions because ultimately it is my child who pays the price for my words.
I see wind of change wrote:
I have kid's at Debusk, New to the area and I have not seen all this, my kids are treated as equals and am very happy with everyone there. As far as the tread about Miss Thomas, she as been nothing but nice to me and my kids. My kids don't play any sports and are very much part of the school. Sounds to me like a bunch of parents that are spoiled and does not get their way. If you have problems with the Prom, then I suggest quit complaining about it and talk with Mr. Malone about having a meeting between the parents and Miss Thomas. Like some else said, There are place that you could hold a prom as parents for the kids. I bet you would see if you were in charge of this what really takes place. As far as last name having control attend Booster club meeting make your vote strong and change coaching and be nominated and elected to be a booster official. It is my understand from talk in the school, that the whole Booster officers are stepping down. Instead of complaining make a difference.
I see wind of change

Nolensville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

I can see were you come from, but the question is, is there enough of these parents that are unhappy that would band together instead of going at it alone it might help. I have seen that most parents don't attend the meetings enough to have a vote. It hard to make a change when you don't have strength in numbers. Like I have heard that all the Booster Officers are stepping down. Now these parents that are unhappy quit attending meeting, they can't vote. IF they would have stayed with it and voted as a qroup then change could be made. I have attend Booster meeting and I know were you are coming from, but how do you make change with out being involved. It to late this season to make a difference, but get uninvolved members involved next year and put up with the crap then when time to vote officials then you can make a difference.

I have never been involved in any booster events but from what I hear it needs major change. I have also head that the some of the coaching of the Basket ball teams need change, but if these parents don't attend and vote then what right do they have to complain. It does matter if you have majority of votes and then you can make a difference.
DeBusk Parent

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

I see your point and perhaps will give it another try. The isolation in this close knit community for transplants like just wears you down after a while. I attended meetings for three years before quitting. I must admit that I feel I lack the "connections" to get goods and services the Booster Club/PTO might require which is why I have shyed away from trying to hold an office. I am also concerned that anyone new going in and making changes will get much helpful advice from those who are stepping down.
I see wind of change wrote:
I can see were you come from, but the question is, is there enough of these parents that are unhappy that would band together instead of going at it alone it might help. I have seen that most parents don't attend the meetings enough to have a vote. It hard to make a change when you don't have strength in numbers. Like I have heard that all the Booster Officers are stepping down. Now these parents that are unhappy quit attending meeting, they can't vote. IF they would have stayed with it and voted as a qroup then change could be made. I have attend Booster meeting and I know were you are coming from, but how do you make change with out being involved. It to late this season to make a difference, but get uninvolved members involved next year and put up with the crap then when time to vote officials then you can make a difference.
I have never been involved in any booster events but from what I hear it needs major change. I have also head that the some of the coaching of the Basket ball teams need change, but if these parents don't attend and vote then what right do they have to complain. It does matter if you have majority of votes and then you can make a difference.
I see wind of change

Nolensville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Judged:

This is so true but if it is the unhappy parents then it should fall on deft ears. There is always room for change but it takes a lot of courage to make that change. It will be interesting to see what happens at next meeting when elections are held.
Just wondering

Fort Campbell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 21, 2011

Who are the bad influence's?
No longer has kid there

Julian, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Daughter was kicked out because we didn't live n the debusk district, that's BS! Not all of the casteels live n the district either. And if u stand up for ur kid there when it comes to favoritism or even bullies then ur kid suffers! Glad she is out of there!! Should have done it along time ago.
Really

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

No longer has kid there wrote:
Daughter was kicked out because we didn't live n the debusk district, that's BS! Not all of the casteels live n the district either. And if u stand up for ur kid there when it comes to favoritism or even bullies then ur kid suffers! Glad she is out of there!! Should have done it along time ago.
Heard this kind of thing was coming. I must admit DeBusk is a school of convenience and has way too many out of area students. But I do agree that the rule is not applied to all of those out of area students, just the one's who don't have the right last name. My child also goes to DeBusk and lives out of area. We have not heard anything from them so far (but since my child is good at sports, we probably won't). I would not object to my children being asked to leave except that they have been there for years and made great friends. Good luck to your daughter. I hope she likes her new school even better than clique-y DeBusk.
Former Student

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Judged:

My child is a former Debusk student went there 1st thru 8th and I gotta say there are only two problems at that school 1st Mrs.Luttrell and 2nd Mrs.Thomas gotta say don't know which one was worse...All I know is both play the favortisim role and both are very rude and both have students whom they either do like or don't like point blank...I was never so glad in my life when my child graduated 8th and left that place...As far as Liz and Tereasa go I love them, they have been there since I too went there and have always been very nice to me and my child...All I know is this I was raised what you got and what u can do don't make what u r GOD made us equal and I don't care how much money u got, what kind of home u own or how good u r at sports that don't make u any better than the person next to u and some of these children have been raised up goin in the wrong direction...So as for any of that have children that may be goin to school there with the possibility of dealing with these two teachers good luck!!! One more thing I feel like some of these children need there teachers as friends cause they never can tell what these kids deal with in the home life and just maybe if they would take a minute to think about it they may just be one of these childrens saving grace!!!!!
Really

Elizabethton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, as far as teachers go, I don't see a lot who go above and beyond unless it is related to booster club or some sport. I know for a fact that most of the teachers cannot call a student by name because with only a few hundred students (most of whom come from common families) they honestly don't know students who were not in their class. It is really a shame because the atmosphere could be so much better if all the students were treated equally with a lot less favoritism.
Former Student wrote:
My child is a former Debusk student went there 1st thru 8th and I gotta say there are only two problems at that school 1st Mrs.Luttrell and 2nd Mrs.Thomas gotta say don't know which one was worse...All I know is both play the favortisim role and both are very rude and both have students whom they either do like or don't like point blank...I was never so glad in my life when my child graduated 8th and left that place...As far as Liz and Tereasa go I love them, they have been there since I too went there and have always been very nice to me and my child...All I know is this I was raised what you got and what u can do don't make what u r GOD made us equal and I don't care how much money u got, what kind of home u own or how good u r at sports that don't make u any better than the person next to u and some of these children have been raised up goin in the wrong direction...So as for any of that have children that may be goin to school there with the possibility of dealing with these two teachers good luck!!! One more thing I feel like some of these children need there teachers as friends cause they never can tell what these kids deal with in the home life and just maybe if they would take a minute to think about it they may just be one of these childrens saving grace!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greeneville People Search