Greene County High School Bands, your...

Greene County High School Bands, your favorite ?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

greeneyed angel

Greeneville, TN

#1 Sep 1, 2014
In my opinion SGHS has the best marching band in Greene County. Although few I'm number, their sound is awesome and loud. They work tirelessly practicing, fundraising, and dominate at every competition they compete in. I think their color guard, and each musician are excellent! What is your band of choice as far as the Greene County High School Bands go?

Since: Nov 13

Greeneville, TN

#2 Sep 4, 2014
greeneyed angel wrote:
In my opinion SGHS has the best marching band in Greene County. Although few I'm number, their sound is awesome and loud. They work tirelessly practicing, fundraising, and dominate at every competition they compete in. I think their color guard, and each musician are excellent! What is your band of choice as far as the Greene County High School Bands go?
I agree South Greene has an awesome band. But as a band booster, I wonder why the football program got new uniforms two years ago, and again this season paid for by the school. The band, however has had the same uniforms for many years. Except for color guard which changes up their uniform a little every year....and that is paid for mostly by parents. Dr. Bowman obviously thinks the football program is more important than band. The band, I think was allowed $200 from her and 2 away game bus rides. I think the band should be able to travel to ALL away games and get a little more than $200. Don't get me wrong football is important to the school, but band is equally important, to boost morale of student, parents and players. It was also past that music class is part of the common core, so it should be funded accordingly. I've seen some kids that have had a bad home life, bad attitudes, getting into trouble, etc. but after they have joined band they have completely changed turned their lives around. Please can the South Greene band get more funding Dr. Bowman? These kids work very hard
Pep Band

United States

#3 Sep 4, 2014
nevaeh76 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree South Greene has an awesome band. But as a band booster, I wonder why the football program got new uniforms two years ago, and again this season paid for by the school. The band, however has had the same uniforms for many years. Except for color guard which changes up their uniform a little every year....and that is paid for mostly by parents. Dr. Bowman obviously thinks the football program is more important than band. The band, I think was allowed $200 from her and 2 away game bus rides. I think the band should be able to travel to ALL away games and get a little more than $200. Don't get me wrong football is important to the school, but band is equally important, to boost morale of student, parents and players. It was also past that music class is part of the common core, so it should be funded accordingly. I've seen some kids that have had a bad home life, bad attitudes, getting into trouble, etc. but after they have joined band they have completely changed turned their lives around. Please can the South Greene band get more funding Dr. Bowman? These kids work very hard
Unfortunately, this is typical.

Greeneville, TN

#4 Sep 6, 2014
Pep Band wrote:
<quoted text>
Unfortunately, this is typical.
It shouldn't have to be though!
Old Rebel

Mount Juliet, TN

#5 Sep 6, 2014
I LOVE all the Band Programs in Greeneville and Greene County. I have to admit I didn't know much about Band when I helped start the SGHS Program, but I have new found respect. The fact is SGHS Band of Rebels purchased new Uniforms less than 5 years ago, I know because I was there as the parents and band members worked hard, earned community support, and paid every DIME of the bill. It was quite a struggle but well worth saying we did it all by ourselves. As far as football, they are a revenue sport, nothing more to say. I did a survey of Band Booster Clubs in East TN and Southwest VA... SGHS is one of few in the Region or State who does not have access to the concessions revenue. Old habits die hard.
South Greene Resident

Johnson City, TN

#6 Sep 6, 2014
I am disappointed in SGHS lack of real uniform this year. They sound pretty good and I know they practice plenty. I just think their decision to go casual is not doing them any favors.

For the record, band is not the only "sport or activity" getting the shaft, wrestling got nothing the few years my children were involved...and though I am not a cheerleading fan, they get nothing. I think athletic booster should support all sports equally and let the teams make up the difference. Football rules around here and it is really a shame, not every student is cut out for football, but all activities should be equally funded. There could be real revenue potential if other sports were given a chance to entertain by purchasing the basics that allows them to host an event.

Greeneville, TN

#7 Sep 6, 2014
South Greene Resident wrote:
I am disappointed in SGHS lack of real uniform this year. They sound pretty good and I know they practice plenty. I just think their decision to go casual is not doing them any favors.
For the record, band is not the only "sport or activity" getting the shaft, wrestling got nothing the few years my children were involved...and though I am not a cheerleading fan, they get nothing. I think athletic booster should support all sports equally and let the teams make up the difference. Football rules around here and it is really a shame, not every student is cut out for football, but all activities should be equally funded. There could be real revenue potential if other sports were given a chance to entertain by purchasing the basics that allows them to host an event.
As a SGHS Booster I know that they will be performing in dress uniforms real soon they are just marching in show shirts and khaki shorts because it has been so hot the past couple of game, and I agree athletic booster revenue should be divided equally among all sports band, cheerleading, wrestling. I have faith that this band, by competition time will pull out stops and tighten up their show, and bring home trophies like they always do!

Greeneville, TN

#8 Sep 6, 2014
Old Rebel wrote:
I LOVE all the Band Programs in Greeneville and Greene County. I have to admit I didn't know much about Band when I helped start the SGHS Program, but I have new found respect. The fact is SGHS Band of Rebels purchased new Uniforms less than 5 years ago, I know because I was there as the parents and band members worked hard, earned community support, and paid every DIME of the bill. It was quite a struggle but well worth saying we did it all by ourselves. As far as football, they are a revenue sport, nothing more to say. I did a survey of Band Booster Clubs in East TN and Southwest VA... SGHS is one of few in the Region or State who does not have access to the concessions revenue. Old habits die hard.
Agreed 100% Old Rebel

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TA making huge mistake 27 min Preacher Bubba 28
tonka 33 min Greene County 2
Emails 1 hr Hilarious 9
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 2 hr Gunslinger45 11,317
News The Greeneville Sun 4 hr scholar 4
AntiTrump FBI Agent fired over role in Clinton ... 6 hr REPUBLICAN 60
US Markets So Far This Year 6 hr MAGA 2
Greene county high schools into one??? 11 hr John 89

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages