How To Revitalize Greeneville

How To Revitalize Greeneville

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
South Greene Resident

Jonesborough, TN

#1 May 13, 2013
Any ideas on how to revitalize our downtown or our whole county for that matter? I hate to see a town go down the tubes.
Benny Hill

Greeneville, TN

#2 May 13, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
Any ideas on how to revitalize our downtown or our whole county for that matter? I hate to see a town go down the tubes.
Three things are needed to bring back downtown.

1) People with disposable income to spend.

2) A place or places for those people to spend their money.

3) Plenty of parking.

Number one can't happen without higher paying jobs.

Number two can't happen because the major retailers have taken over small town economies, and they prefer to locate in high traffic areas, and they have already located on the bypass.

Number three can't happen because it would require a bunch of money to buy out buildings, tear them down, and build a parking garage or area.
Ted

Elizabethton, TN

#3 May 13, 2013
Need to get some business on or near main street. Eating joints with specialties, and something besides junk shops, banks, and lawyer offices.
Benny Hill

Greeneville, TN

#4 May 13, 2013
Ted wrote:
Need to get some business on or near main street. Eating joints with specialties, and something besides junk shops, banks, and lawyer offices.
Something besides junk shops, banks, and law offices requires an upscale clientele with money to spend. Greeneville is a prototypical WalMart/McDonald's kind of town.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#5 May 13, 2013
Benny Hill wrote:
<quoted text>Something besides junk shops, banks, and law offices requires an upscale clientele with money to spend. Greeneville is a prototypical WalMart/McDonald's kind of town.
Unfortunate observation, but I have to agree!
Traffic is the Key

Nashville, TN

#6 May 13, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
Any ideas on how to revitalize our downtown or our whole county for that matter? I hate to see a town go down the tubes.
Downtown was killed because of the Bypass (hence why it is called the Bypass). The only problem is that there is nothing to Bypass, so what you have here is stereotypical guy who owned land paid the right politics long ago when it got started. Well, now that Walmart is essentially forcing everything to head that way the options are to divert the Bypass traffic back through town. If that is done, then private dollars will naturally want to flow back through town to get money from the traffic. Naturally, the city government would have to make a decision, but you would probably have to personally show them how they would make money from the deal. The potential exists to actually create a one way loop in the city to accommodate the traffic. The morons and the idiots who keep electing them don't have the balls to do it.
Traffic is the Key

Nashville, TN

#7 May 13, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
Any ideas on how to revitalize our downtown or our whole county for that matter? I hate to see a town go down the tubes.
just to add the part of the bypass that you cut out by diverting traffic back through town can be the new industrial row or airport expansion.
Traffic is the Key

Nashville, TN

#8 May 13, 2013
Yet another idea is deregulation and allow people to do what they need to do in a true free market without city permits, regulations, board approvals, etc. Once again, that strangles the local economy.
regina

Henderson, NC

#9 May 14, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
Any ideas on how to revitalize our downtown or our whole county for that matter? I hate to see a town go down the tubes.
why do you think greeneville is going down the tubes?
South Greene Resident

Jonesborough, TN

#10 May 14, 2013
I am not a lifer, so I don't know that I am qualified to give an opinion. When I moved here some years ago we took a cursory drive through town, amazed by the geographical size of it...not realizing that most of the storefronts with hours posted and signs in tact were actually already closed down.
Where I lived before was very tourism oriented, we catered to them and the town thrived. But after living in Greeneville for some years now I don't think local residents are very visitor friendly, they are a more tight-knit sort. I am also given to understand that most of the vacant real estate is held by a very few people who seem to want more rent than the market can get for them. I have not been impressed by the new businesses that have been encouraged to settle here, I mean another Food City? More fast food? Aside from the history angle which is used by every small town with a Main Street in TN, what does this town/county have going for it? An almost impeached President who was put in office by an assassination and Tobacco? Anything else? Maybe Greeneville could come out with a homegrown brand of cigarettes?(Not very healthy, but Pigeon Forge is promoting moonshine) You tell me.
Benny Hill

Greeneville, TN

#11 May 14, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
I am not a lifer, so I don't know that I am qualified to give an opinion. When I moved here some years ago we took a cursory drive through town, amazed by the geographical size of it...not realizing that most of the storefronts with hours posted and signs in tact were actually already closed down.
Where I lived before was very tourism oriented, we catered to them and the town thrived. But after living in Greeneville for some years now I don't think local residents are very visitor friendly, they are a more tight-knit sort. I am also given to understand that most of the vacant real estate is held by a very few people who seem to want more rent than the market can get for them. I have not been impressed by the new businesses that have been encouraged to settle here, I mean another Food City? More fast food? Aside from the history angle which is used by every small town with a Main Street in TN, what does this town/county have going for it? An almost impeached President who was put in office by an assassination and Tobacco? Anything else? Maybe Greeneville could come out with a homegrown brand of cigarettes?(Not very healthy, but Pigeon Forge is promoting moonshine) You tell me.
He wasn't almost impeached. He was impeached. Impeach means to bring charges against. Clinton was impeached also. It is just that neither was removed from office.
South Greene Resident

Jonesborough, TN

#12 May 14, 2013
Benny Hill wrote:
<quoted text>He wasn't almost impeached. He was impeached. Impeach means to bring charges against. Clinton was impeached also. It is just that neither was removed from office.
Touche, but it does not change my underlying point. He is kind of like tarnished hero and not someone I think Greeneville should use as a cornerstone to fame.
Benny Hill

Greeneville, TN

#13 May 14, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Touche, but it does not change my underlying point. He is kind of like tarnished hero and not someone I think Greeneville should use as a cornerstone to fame.
I honestly think that A.J. was a victim of the times. Post Civil War reconstruction and reconciliation made the new President's term impossible.
Another problem

Sarasota, FL

#14 May 14, 2013
is that any outsider who tries to come to Greeneville to create a business and/or do something to help out this maligned community is met with suspicion and skepticism. The locals seem proud of their ignorance and would rather support sleazy criminals who have lived here for 10 years than good people that just arrived.

It's not a warm greeting an outsider gets here. Go to Asheville and you're in the 21st century (arts, community, events, warm, welcoming people).

Coming to Greeneville is like going backwards in time to the 18th or 19th century. "Yoo ain't frum around here are ya'?" is what you hear. There's nothing going on, nothing to do, no cool places to go, just the chains out on the by-pass.

It's a cold, dark, place that doesn't care much for uppity women, minorities or people that aren't lock-step in agreement with the swill being pumped by Fox News.

I'm trying to love this place because people I love are here but Christ almighty, other than hiking the AT, I don't know what anybody would come here for. No jobs, no future, just a bunch of pill-people and meth-heads beating, robbing and stealing from the handful of decent people that area left.

Don't get me started on the the local "justice system"....this place is corrupt to a sickening level. The jail lost their accreditation because they were/are running a concentration camp. I've met one decent person in Greeneville for every 10 scum-bags...... Sorry, but that's my experience.

It's great to visit the AT a few weeks each year but if you live here, you probably hate yourself and your life.

“I'M BACK.......SPORA DICALLY”

Since: Jun 12

BUFFALO, NY

#15 May 14, 2013
Benny Hill wrote:
<quoted text>I honestly think that A.J. was a victim of the times. Post Civil War reconstruction and reconciliation made the new President's term impossible.
Did not help that Johnson was out of the loop and distrusted by Lincoln men. Had only one formal meeting with Lincoln, on 04/14/65. Allegedly at that meeting Johnson advocated not being lenient with the Southern states during what was later called,'Reconstruction.'

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#16 May 14, 2013
A mall? Shit... SOMETHING on Asheville Hwy. but a dollar store... A classy massage parlor...

A club that is worth a dang...

Bring entertainment and you will bring people that will bring factories...

But... I'm confused... As to why rush hour traffic is actually so darn slow... WTH...

I guess people like us... or they are commuting from JC to Morristown...
Gville not for everybody

Greeneville, TN

#17 May 14, 2013
Another problem wrote:
is that any outsider who tries to come to Greeneville to create a business and/or do something to help out this maligned community is met with suspicion and skepticism. The locals seem proud of their ignorance and would rather support sleazy criminals who have lived here for 10 years than good people that just arrived.
It's not a warm greeting an outsider gets here. Go to Asheville and you're in the 21st century (arts, community, events, warm, welcoming people).
Coming to Greeneville is like going backwards in time to the 18th or 19th century. "Yoo ain't frum around here are ya'?" is what you hear. There's nothing going on, nothing to do, no cool places to go, just the chains out on the by-pass.
It's a cold, dark, place that doesn't care much for uppity women, minorities or people that aren't lock-step in agreement with the swill being pumped by Fox News.
I'm trying to love this place because people I love are here but Christ almighty, other than hiking the AT, I don't know what anybody would come here for. No jobs, no future, just a bunch of pill-people and meth-heads beating, robbing and stealing from the handful of decent people that area left.
Don't get me started on the the local "justice system"....this place is corrupt to a sickening level. The jail lost their accreditation because they were/are running a concentration camp. I've met one decent person in Greeneville for every 10 scum-bags...... Sorry, but that's my experience.
It's great to visit the AT a few weeks each year but if you live here, you probably hate yourself and your life.
You just gave several good reasons for you to move to Asheville, or somewhere on down the line. By the way, I have lived in 5 different states and 8 different cities, and I am a local, a college graduate, a home owner, a business owner, and I am as happy as can be.
lifer without parole

Conway, SC

#18 May 14, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
I am not a lifer, so I don't know that I am qualified to give an opinion. When I moved here some years ago we took a cursory drive through town, amazed by the geographical size of it...not realizing that most of the storefronts with hours posted and signs in tact were actually already closed down.
Where I lived before was very tourism oriented, we catered to them and the town thrived. But after living in Greeneville for some years now I don't think local residents are very visitor friendly, they are a more tight-knit sort. I am also given to understand that most of the vacant real estate is held by a very few people who seem to want more rent than the market can get for them. I have not been impressed by the new businesses that have been encouraged to settle here, I mean another Food City? More fast food? Aside from the history angle which is used by every small town with a Main Street in TN, what does this town/county have going for it? An almost impeached President who was put in office by an assassination and Tobacco? Anything else? Maybe Greeneville could come out with a homegrown brand of cigarettes?(Not very healthy, but Pigeon Forge is promoting moonshine) You tell me.
you certainly don't need to be a lifer to give an opinion///agree with you on the AJ stuff, way overdone, but that's partly because the town is small and not much is going on. fast food way overdone, too, and the population shows it....not much independence in G'ville. on the other hand, official schemes for revitalizing are just real estate games to make a profit, complete with self congratulatory press releases. special events, festivals, re-enactors, little celebrations...it's like a disneyfied version of a town, trying hard to be something strangers would want to see.
40 years here

Johnson City, TN

#19 May 14, 2013
Burn it. Start over.

Since: Dec 12

Rock Hill, SC

#20 May 14, 2013
I'm gonna have some fun & combine several forums to suggest an answer: since many hate Austin Powder, the Town of Greeneville & the Greene County Partnership's Ferguson, why not send him to the plant with some matches & the town will go BOOOOOM! Referring to a long past thread about the topix lawsuit nonsense, I imagine the town might need to be evacuated so it could be achieved by naming posters' identities.....this would result in mass evacuation.:) Ferguson could take other clueless "leaders" with him to ensure the task gets screwed up with unknown results LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dunkin doughnuts 3 min jimmy 11
Amanda Campbell~ doesn't keep her legs closed 6 min Dr Wu 4
Poll Is your wifes face a mess? 7 min Dr Wu 4
Charley Daniels 8 min Dr Wu 5
drowning in denial? 12 min Dr Wu 13
Ronnie Shelton 43 min Glenn 7
w illiam parton 47 min Jerome 3
Prophecy is coming to life right in front of us 3 hr guest 273
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages