GossipTrolls

Greeneville, TN

#93 Sep 25, 2013
Boo hoo, topix shouldn't be talking about these two boys and what happened. Well, are you whiners gonna call the greeneville sun? They even put the victims name in their story.
GossipTrolls

Greeneville, TN

#94 Sep 25, 2013
Reb Forever wrote:
Do I believe this is the worst thing to have happened to the South Greene Student Body, no not by far. In the late sixties the Freedom Fighters came to East Tennessee. They attacked Greeneville High and Middle School and totally disrupted classes and caused chaos. They were supposed to have come to South Greene the next day after causing trouble in Greeneville. We were told they would arrive sometime late in the morning or early afternoon. Then principal James Parham made an announcement that we would not give up our school like Greeneville had done. We would not leave, if we had parents who could come help but not take us home we were free to use the phone to ask them to come. It was a very tense situation, almost military like. We were told to use anything available to fight off an attack. Supposedly someone warned the freedom fighters and they did not come pass the Nolichuckey River Bridge. This is my memory, others may remember different.
So, you're saying something that almost happened at South Greene but didn't happen, is worse than this innocent kid being stabbed and almost murdered? Kudos to that principle for putting his young students in a very dangerous situation back in the 60's by putting them in a "military like situation" as you say... Greeneville High is still here, looks like they got to keep it after all."rolls eyes"
god bless us

Landrum, SC

#95 Sep 25, 2013
Interesting wrote:
<quoted text>If the girl who stopped the fight was the same one the fight was about, does that make her a hero, a participant, a villain, a victim?
The girl that stopped that not was not who they were fighting over. Get your story straight...oh no wait this is topix...
East TN Mugshots

Greeneville, TN

#96 Sep 25, 2013
Just me

Greeneville, TN

#97 Sep 25, 2013
Whatevs wrote:
<quoted text>
Well my friend, exactly 20 years ago I was attending the same school you were! I'm a Black Knight as well and NONE of what you mentioned happened while I was there. Ginger Turnmire killed her parents but that was in the 80's not 20 years ago. As for the rest of your post no one got stabbed or beat to death at school 20 years ago either!
Ok almost 30 years ago. Wow I'm getting old. Turnmire was in 86'. The Dunbar boy got stabbed, a girl got stabbed going up the steps with a fork, the Davis boys, that's all I'll say about them, can't remember the guys name that killed himself. Fights at the Amoco probably once a week. It all did happen between 86' & 89' or maybe 90'.
Whatevs

Greeneville, TN

#98 Sep 25, 2013
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok almost 30 years ago. Wow I'm getting old. Turnmire was in 86'. The Dunbar boy got stabbed, a girl got stabbed going up the steps with a fork, the Davis boys, that's all I'll say about them, can't remember the guys name that killed himself. Fights at the Amoco probably once a week. It all did happen between 86' & 89' or maybe 90'.
lol fights at the amaco happened when I was there too but none of this other nonsense. Heard the story about the girl getting stabbed with a fork before. That's a far cry from getting stabbed in the back with a kitchen knife repeatedly. I'm unfamiliar with the Dunbar boy's stabbing I'm curious what the circumstances were and was it a heinous as this?
good ole days

Asheville, NC

#99 Sep 25, 2013
What happened to the days when people got mad and said meet me at the bridge? You could pass by and cars would be lined up on both sides and all the way down to river. Fight would take place. They would beat the s**t out of each other and it was over. Go back to school next day and it was over.
Just me

Greeneville, TN

#100 Sep 25, 2013
Whatevs wrote:
<quoted text>
lol fights at the amaco happened when I was there too but none of this other nonsense. Heard the story about the girl getting stabbed with a fork before. That's a far cry from getting stabbed in the back with a kitchen knife repeatedly. I'm unfamiliar with the Dunbar boy's stabbing I'm curious what the circumstances were and was it a heinous as this?
I'm not sure how bad the Dunbar stabbing was, I think it was at a dance at night or something. The girl getting stabbed with a fork doesn't sound that bad, but I think it was meant to be a lot worse than it was. And yes I admit what just happen was pretty heinous.

Maybe this guy is a reincarnation of Michael Myers. Halloween is coming upon us.
Whatevs

Greeneville, TN

#101 Sep 25, 2013
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure how bad the Dunbar stabbing was, I think it was at a dance at night or something. The girl getting stabbed with a fork doesn't sound that bad, but I think it was meant to be a lot worse than it was. And yes I admit what just happen was pretty heinous.
Maybe this guy is a reincarnation of Michael Myers. Halloween is coming upon us.
Lol maybe he is. I was young but I remember hearing about the fork stabbing. I seem to recall people saying the girl that did the stabbing was Ginger Turnmire's buddy but that could've been rumor. In fact, I recall those days being a time of uproar over supposed satanism at CDHS. Even with all that going on, I still think times are probably worse now.
Wrong

Greeneville, TN

#102 Sep 26, 2013
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok almost 30 years ago. Wow I'm getting old. Turnmire was in 86'. The Dunbar boy got stabbed, a girl got stabbed going up the steps with a fork, the Davis boys, that's all I'll say about them, can't remember the guys name that killed himself. Fights at the Amoco probably once a week. It all did happen between 86' & 89' or maybe 90'.
I may be wrong about this but for some reason I was thinking Turnmire was involved in the stabbing the girl with the fork?? Is that my memory playing crazy tricks on me or is that correct??
TAMA

Greenwood, IN

#103 Sep 26, 2013
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>Ok almost 30 years ago. Wow I'm getting old. Turnmire was in 86'. The Dunbar boy got stabbed, a girl got stabbed going up the steps with a fork, the Davis boys, that's all I'll say about them, can't remember the guys name that killed himself. Fights at the Amoco probably once a week. It all did happen between 86' & 89' or maybe 90'.
Ronald Martin. Killed his self over his parents house getting destroyed during a party.
your future x wife

Chicago, IL

#104 Sep 26, 2013
It is one thing to dress up, play make believe, and tell bedtime stories.. But to continue to compare your "children" and yourselves to what this child/ students are going through when this happens IRL is HEARTLESS! These students didn't CHOOSE to put themselves in harms way! Seems that the "roles" have reversed.. And I don't think what actually ended up happening at "The End" is any kind of coinkidink! Is this where "God" steps in? Jeez Louise!
EMD

Indianapolis, IN

#105 Sep 26, 2013
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>Ok almost 30 years ago. Wow I'm getting old. Turnmire was in 86'. The Dunbar boy got stabbed, a girl got stabbed going up the steps with a fork, the Davis boys, that's all I'll say about them, can't remember the guys name that killed himself. Fights at the Amoco probably once a week. It all did happen between 86' & 89' or maybe 90'.
Ronald Martin was the one that committed suicide.
I was there

Greeneville, TN

#106 Sep 26, 2013
Reb Forever wrote:
Do I believe this is the worst thing to have happened to the South Greene Student Body, no not by far. In the late sixties the Freedom Fighters came to East Tennessee. They attacked Greeneville High and Middle School and totally disrupted classes and caused chaos. They were supposed to have come to South Greene the next day after causing trouble in Greeneville. We were told they would arrive sometime late in the morning or early afternoon. Then principal James Parham made an announcement that we would not give up our school like Greeneville had done. We would not leave, if we had parents who could come help but not take us home we were free to use the phone to ask them to come. It was a very tense situation, almost military like. We were told to use anything available to fight off an attack. Supposedly someone warned the freedom fighters and they did not come pass the Nolichuckey River Bridge. This is my memory, others may remember different.
I was in Greeneville Jr. High at the time this supposed attack by freedom fighters ( whatever they were ) took place and it started out as a fight between two boys ( one white and one black ) from there it escalated into a situation where both races were on the brink of a major throwdown and the administrators ended up dismissing everyone for the rest of the day, it had nothing to do with any outside group coming in and trying to incite a riot or take over the school.
I was there

Greeneville, TN

#108 Sep 27, 2013
Reb Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I welcome alternate versions and memories but perhaps we are talking about two different events. The fighters came in school buses and had already been in Washington County and Unicoi County. But who knows I have slept since then and may have dreamed it all.
Perhaps you are correct, the incident that I recall happened in 1971, the Freedom Riders were earlier than that, probably in the mid-60's. But I still can't believe that they would be concerned with intergration in Greeneville due to the small percentage of Black students and the fact that as far as I can remember it did not cause that much of a disturbance in the community. But then again I was pretty young and may not have been aware of what all was happening.
Former GHS student

Greeneville, TN

#109 Sep 27, 2013
I was there wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps you are correct, the incident that I recall happened in 1971, the Freedom Riders were earlier than that, probably in the mid-60's. But I still can't believe that they would be concerned with intergration in Greeneville due to the small percentage of Black students and the fact that as far as I can remember it did not cause that much of a disturbance in the community. But then again I was pretty young and may not have been aware of what all was happening.
Integration came to Greeneville High in 1963, if my memory is correct. I was at GHS during that time, and there were never any racial incidents from then until 1967 when I graduated. I never heard of any "Freedom Riders."
I was there

Greeneville, TN

#112 Sep 27, 2013
Former GHS student wrote:
<quoted text>Integration came to Greeneville High in 1963, if my memory is correct. I was at GHS during that time, and there were never any racial incidents from then until 1967 when I graduated. I never heard of any "Freedom Riders."
" Freedom Riders " was the name given the mostly young, mostly northern, mostly college kids who traveled to some southern states ( namely Mississippi and Alabama ) to help Blacks gain the rights granted to them under the Civil Rights Act of 1965. The most prominent right being their right to vote. Corrupt officials and the KKK were waging a war against these Federal mandates and many Blacks and some of the Freedom Riders were murdered as a consequence. The movie " Mississippi Burning " gives a pretty good portrayal of what was happening at this time.
Former GHS student

Greeneville, TN

#114 Sep 27, 2013
I was there wrote:
<quoted text>" Freedom Riders " was the name given the mostly young, mostly northern, mostly college kids who traveled to some southern states ( namely Mississippi and Alabama ) to help Blacks gain the rights granted to them under the Civil Rights Act of 1965. The most prominent right being their right to vote. Corrupt officials and the KKK were waging a war against these Federal mandates and many Blacks and some of the Freedom Riders were murdered as a consequence. The movie " Mississippi Burning " gives a pretty good portrayal of what was happening at this time.
I have heard of "Freedom Riders" in that context, just not at GHS. I have also seen the movie Mississippi Burning with Gene Hackman, if my memory serves. Nothing like that ever happened around here to my knowledge.
Former GHS student

Greeneville, TN

#115 Sep 27, 2013
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>That is a good movie presentation of events yes, but movies tend to make things right or wrong, black and white, and that is seldom truth or at least not the whole truth. In fact, many of the groups which came south were comprised of both Blacks and Whites and both Males and Females. Today, that would be no cause for concern, in the 60s it was, as the Blacks in the Greeneville High School gym still had to sit in the balcony even though their kids were playing on the floor. So when those kids or young adults and older people unloaded off those buses it was like pouring gasoline on an already lit fire, it got the desired results. It was agitation pure and simple and it led to violence from both sides.
I don't remember blacks sitting in any balcony that I am aware of , except at the Capitol Theatre, and that ended with integration. I don't remember any balcony at the old gym. It seems to me that there was an upper level with fixed seats, and slide out bleachers on the floor. By the time that the school was integrated, I am sure that they could sit anywhere that they wanted.

Some of the early black students at GHS were Donald Ripley, Bobby Black, Wayne Horton, Tennyson Wooten, Pete Lollar. They were accepted and well liked by about everyone, as far as I know.

Integration started with a handful of black students, and they kept George Clem school open for a while. Coach JJ Jones moved from Geo. Clem to GHS, and demanded and received everyone's respect. He was a fine man and coach.
your future x wife

United States

#116 Sep 27, 2013
give me thAAAT MASK! NO, YOU CANNOT BE ME FOR HALLOWEEN! However, you can be 'the CAT' and I'll be 'CURIOSITY'! Dummy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why so paranoid? 14 min been there 60
Principal at Mosheim 25 min Friend Of 58
Feeling lonely for the holidays 30 min From the heart 120
Ethan Self (Aug '13) 1 hr question 211
best honda mechanic? (Jan '11) 3 hr ohwell 44
Ever did it with a family member 7 hr Trunketeer 15
How offen do u eat her out? 7 hr one sided 27
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 9 hr Agree 65
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 9 hr Jennifer Renee 5,575
Greeneville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greeneville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greeneville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:21 am PST

ESPN11:21AM
Rivera 'confident' Newton will start Sunday
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
ESPN 9:39 AM
Setback-free Newton to start against Browns
NFL11:45 AM
Panthers' Cam Newton named starter vs. Browns