YMCA does not drug test workers
iBustHeads

Madison, TN

#82 Jan 28, 2012
Lol you fkin junkies
Kyle

Urbana, IL

#83 Feb 11, 2012
I realize I'm commenting on a thread nearly a year old however I would like to add that for those concerned about your childrens' safety demanding that anyone be drug tested, do you realize none of your lawmakers, judges, or senators/representatives (the people who run the country you live in and the same people who mandate drug tests for the common man) do not have to take drug tests at any point during their terms?
Oreo55

Newark, DE

#85 Feb 15, 2012
I understand your concern, however maybe you should know more about what the purpose of drug testing is. When people are drug tested usually only one type of substance is discovered: THC which is a compound found in Marijuana, but also in our brains. THC is the chemical that gives humans the ability to feel happy and relaxed, and marijuana increases this effect. While I wouldn't recommend people being under the influence of any drug while on duty, including legal and much more harmful substances like alcohol or cigarettes, what people do in the privacy of their own homes should not be contingent on whether they have or get a job. Which brings me back to the drug testing problem. THC stays in the blood stream for about a month after heavy smoking, however far more dangerous drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, and acid are released from the body in as little as 12 hours. Therefore the chances of these drugs showing up in drug test results are very little. With this understanding, perhaps you will see that drug testing is almost solely used to condemn those who indulge in cannabis, but leave your children more accessible to employees using much harder and dangerous drugs.
Idiot

York, SC

#86 Feb 15, 2012
Well you all can let your kids go play w Dustin Moore who was kicked off UT football team for failing three drug tests and was arrested not long ago over drugs. Anyone that would hire him to look over the youth obviously lacks common sense among other stuff.
The Medium sized Lebowski

Winona, MN

#87 Mar 22, 2012
I would be more concerned about your kid growing up to be a sheltered pansy-ass that ends up being a drug addict of his own because his "mommy" decided that anyone who likes a doobie after work is an unsafe criminal. YOU are crippling your kid. I bet anyone who is working at the YMCA to be a coach or after school activity leader is a pretty reliable person when it comes to kids safety. I get stoned before work all the time, not once has it ever caused a problem.
Educate Me

Nashville, TN

#88 Mar 22, 2012
Oreo55 wrote:
I understand your concern, however maybe you should know more about what the purpose of drug testing is. When people are drug tested usually only one type of substance is discovered: THC which is a compound found in Marijuana, but also in our brains. THC is the chemical that gives humans the ability to feel happy and relaxed, and marijuana increases this effect. While I wouldn't recommend people being under the influence of any drug while on duty, including legal and much more harmful substances like alcohol or cigarettes, what people do in the privacy of their own homes should not be contingent on whether they have or get a job. Which brings me back to the drug testing problem. THC stays in the blood stream for about a month after heavy smoking, however far more dangerous drugs like cocaine, methamphetamine, and acid are released from the body in as little as 12 hours. Therefore the chances of these drugs showing up in drug test results are very little. With this understanding, perhaps you will see that drug testing is almost solely used to condemn those who indulge in cannabis, but leave your children more accessible to employees using much harder and dangerous drugs.
THC is found naturally in our brains? Is that what you are saying? Wow ... I never knew.
CANNABIS ACTIVIST

Ballwin, MO

#89 May 10, 2012
Marijuana is OK! Quit being so old, lady.
anonymous

Dearborn Heights, MI

#90 Dec 14, 2012
i worked with kids at the y for two and a half years. i am the ABSOLUTE last person you would suspect went home after work and lit one up. i would never smoke before work. i am not that stupid. i love those kids. but what i do at home has nothing to do with them. get over yourself. take your kid somewhere else then.
anonymous

Dearborn Heights, MI

#91 Dec 14, 2012
this is to "funny" in Tennessee. i worked with kids at the y for two and a half years. i am the ABSOLUTE last person you would suspect went home after work and lit one up. i would never smoke before work. i am not that stupid. i love those kids. but what i do at home has nothing to do with them. get over yourself. take your kid somewhere else then. so people at the y don't do drugs? haha, you're are "funny".
Debbie

Longmont, CO

#92 Feb 28, 2013
Lol..... Sadly its a waste of employers money. Drug user pass the drug testing every day.
For heaven sake they sell stuff to pass them.
devil fan

Greeneville, TN

#93 Feb 28, 2013
I think drug testing is a good idea for Tennessee businesses. If a company is joins the Tennessee Drug Free Worksite program they save 5% off the top of their workers compensation premium. Additionally in the event of a worksite injury the burden of proof shifts from the employer to the employee to prove that the injury is not a result of the use of drugs. Trust me that my dad's company beat a claim due to the positive test result. His company had to pay ZERO and we were legally able to fire the employee whereas without the program we would have had to pay the clasm and although the employee sued us we still would have had to employee him.

Also just think of the additional litigation if the employee would have had an accident and hurt someone else while driving a company vehicle.

The cost of drug testing is far outweighed by the legal benefits!
BMAP

United States

#94 May 6, 2013
It is purely stupid and Asinine for anyone to approve people using drugs and caring for children. They are requied to complete background checks and any driving or drug violations should disqualify them from employeement.
Imperfect human

United States

#95 May 10, 2013
BMAP wrote:
It is purely stupid and Asinine for anyone to approve people using drugs and caring for children. They are requied to complete background checks and any driving or drug violations should disqualify them from employeement.
I am a loving and dedicated YMCA employee, who's top concern is child safety. It breaks my heart to hear people and "Christians" (I'm a FOLLOWER OF CHRIST, not a worshipper of Jesus) be so bigoted and closed-minded when it comes to abuse and addiction. I'm speaking to a larger issue.

My record is by no means clean, marijuana possession, DUI, but that does not mean I'm unfit to care for children (which I've done my whole life, from middle school on). I occasionally smoke pot. Does that make me evil or unhealthy. No. I understand the benefits and downsides to use, and I choose FOR MYSELF! what to put in my body. Have I made mistakes? Absolutely. Who will be the first to cast the stone?

The YMCA is a CHRISTIAN organization, and as such, teaches forgiveness, understanding, and unconditional love FOR EVERYONE, traits thr modern church is desperately in need of. There is a lot of noise and bull going on in Christianity today, mostly due to people not understating that we do not live under Old Testament ways anymore. Jesus came and started a new Way, and many have not followed. they are too busy worshipping in fearful obedience to a mental perception that is so skewed from what true-God and True-Christ is. Christ lives in the heart and mind. Christ isnt one man. its everyone, and until we learn this, the way JESUS HIMSELF TAUGHT, we will never live in the Kingdom of Heaven, which is AT HAND! RIGHT NOW! dont just worship Christ, become Christ. that is LOVE!!!! Amen!

The YMCA has random drug testing, that is enough, and is an infringement on human rights. We're not rats in a lab. No testing on humans of any sort... Our country is becoming an Orwellian nightmare, fueled by the pagan elite, and supported on both sides by the extremists on the right and left. We've been had... WAKE UP!!!
burrito sandwich

Arcadia, SC

#96 May 10, 2013
Neither does your public school system, so what's your point?. Don't worry though...the folks flipping your burgers and "dropping" your fries have been tested
2cents

Charlotte, NC

#97 May 10, 2013
flex wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know it's only one person? You might want to take a look around.....
I have been a member of the YMCA for a few years myself. Although I am not a parent myself, I do believe that all employees working with children no matter what position they hold should be drug tested.
There are so many people in our community without jobs that deserve the chance to work that are drug free.
What drugs do you find unacceptable?
Coke, weed etc?
What about painpills? They cause a lot of crime and illegal activity. But they could be a criminal and have a prescription. I think you should bark up another tree. I am a member of the Y and they are great. Unless you have evidence of wrong doing and kids in danger stop running your trap
Anon

United States

#98 May 12, 2013
Diamond wrote:
<quoted text>
Travis, I can understand why parents are concerned about the well being of their children in this "Bible BELT" town of ours. Selling beer close to a church or school has nothing to do with our town's stagnant business( as you call it). I strongly disagree with your statement "nothing should be left off the table when it comes to someone making a living here." I can only imagine what some people would do to make a living......Do you want strip clubs in Greeenville? What about whore houses? Do you want drugs to be legal because someone needs to make a living?
I agree that people need to work, but I do not agree that "nothing should be left off the table when it comes to making a living here."
Too many other towns with the same laws as Greeneville are progressing. Those laws to protect children and respect churches are not Greeneville's problem.
im sure some if not most of this town would be ok strip clubs and cat houses, at the very least beer at the iris festival, but this is off topic. Are you people worried about a stoner with your kid? Not that there are any now, it seems silly to me you can't keep things from your kids forever. As far as laws to protect churches, that's laughable maybe if religion want greneville s biggest industry I'd agree but if the moral majority don't like it then that's it. Back to beer at the iris fest, why can we not do this? The town would make money police would hit some f'd up quota, it can't be that hard Asheville Jc Kingsport Bristol do it every year, I need to Take my meds I'm rambling
Inquiring

Charlotte, NC

#99 Feb 11, 2014
YMCA employee wrote:
The YMCA does do a pre employment drug test. I had to take one, just saying.
Sorry I know this thread is super old, but did they watch you while you pissed?
Well Played

Johnson City, TN

#100 Apr 16, 2014
The YMCA has a drug test policy which states anyone thought to be under the influence can be tested. With that being said, people are free to recreate however they please, if they're not under the influence at work or possessing any drugs at work, then they shouldn't be susceptible to drug testing. You hypocrites on here are ridiculous and in denial if you think you can shelter your children from this changing society. I'm willing to bet some of your children on here will use a drug of sort before graduating high school. It's a sad statistic. I'm pro-marijuana, but I don't think anyone under the age of 25 should use it unless needed for medical purposes. I think kids are misled by the new marijuana craze without considering the effects on a developing brain. And marijuana is considered to be the most non-lethal drug available. Scary...
sas

Greeneville, TN

#101 Apr 16, 2014
Day cares don't drug test
sas

Greeneville, TN

#102 Apr 16, 2014
Dance gymnastics karate baseball basket ball soccer cheerleading foot ball coaches aren't drug tested

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama declares gaybar a National Monument 24 min Mrs Roberson 18
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 25 min BellaRosaLinda 9,723
Police looking for man who CAN'T DRIVE!!!! 28 min Mrs Roberson 7
Mother going crazy! 29 min BellaRosaLinda 9
Elwood - new temp staffing place (Jan '12) 1 hr brian 19
Who is the sexiest man in Greeneville? (Nov '10) 1 hr Little Miss Sunsh... 144
Who got shot at Sheila Burgners on fish pond rd? 2 hr Inform 2
who got shot on fish pond rd tonight 10 hr like 2 know 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages