Slow Internet with Centurylink
Mr Moses

Bremerton, WA

#24 Oct 26, 2013
I had Century links most expensive internet package because all 4 people in my home use the internet.So we upgraded and nothing seemed to change they sent us a new router thats was ALL that changed. The speed didnt seem to be better so after 5 months of paying 85 dollars a month I called to have it downgraded. First they tried to charge me double what I was paying before the upgrade 40 a month. I had to speak to a supervisor to get it back down to 20 a month. Now my internet seems to get slower and slower as the month goes on like they are intentionally doing it to force me to pay more. They keep sending me cards saying how Im a heavy internet user and how I would benefit from an upgrade to my service. Im tired of this company but its the cheapest around and I found that every time they try to raise my rates I just pitch a fit and it stays at 20. Thats the only reason I stay but my internet definitely gets slower the more I use it.
mntcitysuburbs

Jonesborough, TN

#25 Oct 29, 2013
Ours became slow a month ago, was only fri/sat night 9pm and on(using ROKU)
no issues in morning or other days of the week
Last week almost every night 8:30 on will not load, slow feed
Something is def. using available band width

Century link says nothing is wrong...we have been streaming for years and never an issue

only an issue streaming
screwed too

Johnson City, TN

#26 Nov 4, 2013
Mine went out last night, I was using it and boom, out it goes. First I was told there was no problem. I got a little irate with the tech. Told him this happens often, first on Tues, and Thurs, at 1-3. After calling and complaining, and assuring them it is not my system, it stopped. A few month later it started again, this time on Mon, and Wed, from 5-7. Again fixed for awhile.
Then low and behold there was a problem, had to unplug the power source for the modem and plug it back up in a minute. Boom, it worked. What I did not Tell the Tech, is before I turned on my system I had already done that. Hmmm! I wonder what really happened.
Pig Farmer

Rio Das Ostras, Brazil

#27 Nov 4, 2013
I've heard a lot of people complain about Centurylink. I'd personally rather pay a couple of bucks more per month and avoid the hassles and slow speeds.
Yackaro

Jonesborough, TN

#28 Feb 1, 2014
I think this gets better and worse at different times of the year. normally i get 365 KBPS, and i'm paying for 3MBPS (im paying for six or seven times my actual speed). I experienced this go down to 25 KBPS beside a bunch of stupid upgrade letters last summer and assumed it was netflix, as we had been using a free trial of netflix during that time. but now it's gone back down to 25 KBPS with an occasional boost to 50, but without netflix. unfortunately im the "dumb fifteen year old who don't know how life works" and my parents refuse to complain to centurylink about this stupid junk they're treating us to. if the charter service map had even one little cable coming off of the street my dead-end branches off of, i'd have been using it a long time ago, but unfortunately they are lazy and choose to have service for the little street my branch is connectee to but not for my branch. i say centurylink was actually pretty reliable back in 2005-2009.
James

Rio Rancho, NM

#29 Mar 8, 2014
Century link has been sending massive amounts of upgrade ads in the last few months. The speed has dropped to 1/3 or more of what it was. Day or night it does not matter. Speed test verify that the down and up speeds are now in the 100kb instead of megabyte range.
Neighbor who has their highest speed internet is also complaining. Getting upgrade ads too. So how far up can you upgrade when your at the top?
We need competing providers to keep the price in check and speeds delivered as advertised.
I thought Qwest was bad, but Century link seems to be far more incompetent.
rebootrouter

Johnson City, TN

#30 Mar 8, 2014
Pig Farmer wrote:
I've heard a lot of people complain about Centurylink. I'd personally rather pay a couple of bucks more per month and avoid the hassles and slow speeds.
I temporarily resolve the problem with CLink by unplugging my router and then rebooting . This resolves the problem,but it is still aggravating. Who do you folks recommend for a provider in your area as I am relocating soon and do not want to continue service with CLink?
Wes

Des Moines, IA

#31 Mar 11, 2014
I live in Iowa and the past week very slow speed in the .32-.38 range. Should be 1.3-1.5 After many many calls to CL I have found 2 CL people that seem to know what they are doing tell me that CL is upgrading equipment and it will be a about a month before they are done.
I will try to wait. The past 10 years or so the CL internet service has been very good.
I was home the past 3 work days and speed seems to good 8am to 3 pm cst. After that very very slow.
Yergaderga

Fayetteville, PA

#32 Dec 18, 2014
We got the faster upgrade. You know what comes with it? A daily Internet pause! Basically, the Internet stops completely at nearly the same time everyday for a few minutes! This can happen occasionally several times a day. So it's not to get you to upgrade, it's just the worst....😦

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#33 Dec 22, 2014
James wrote:
Century link has been sending massive amounts of upgrade ads in the last few months. The speed has dropped to 1/3 or more of what it was. Day or night it does not matter. Speed test verify that the down and up speeds are now in the 100kb instead of megabyte range.
Neighbor who has their highest speed internet is also complaining. Getting upgrade ads too. So how far up can you upgrade when your at the top?
We need competing providers to keep the price in check and speeds delivered as advertised.
I thought Qwest was bad, but Century link seems to be far more incompetent.
They could be throttling your speed in hopes you'll upgrade.
hormozat

Lafayette, CO

#34 Apr 12, 2015
Low cost of centrylink has attracted too many wallmart shoppers to join . only problem is land line cant handle so many people unless you are in new development that can get one gig fiber optic internet i canceled my centrylink because it was slowing down to dailup speed every other day .
Tammy

Johnson City, TN

#35 Apr 12, 2015
drew wrote:
Centurylink is bar far the worst internet provider ever.
<quoted text>
I have used Century Link for years and have not had any problems at all except for an occasional going off line; pleased with it so far.
dman

Salt Lake City, UT

#36 Apr 24, 2015
A year ago they promised us 20 mbs if we sign a contract with them. After hookup we realized we were getting less than 5 mbs and when we called them they told us "sorry we can't get those speeds in your area". They flat out lied to us but we were stuck in our contract.
Curious

Greeneville, TN

#37 Apr 24, 2015
dman wrote:
A year ago they promised us 20 mbs if we sign a contract with them. After hookup we realized we were getting less than 5 mbs and when we called them they told us "sorry we can't get those speeds in your area". They flat out lied to us but we were stuck in our contract.
I had 10mbs when I was with them and never had any problems except for a modem going out. The service man that came to check the modem told me they now have 25 mbs in my area. He said he just installed that for a business but they weren't advertising they had it yet. By the way, this was over a year ago. He told me to call them and they would give me a price, even though they weren't offering it to the public. I called 3 times and all I was told that it was for businesses only. I left over this. My money spends the same as a businesses money.

“I've Always Been This Stupid”

Since: May 12

Greeneville TN

#38 Apr 24, 2015
I've had a few days where my speed was barely measuring on a speed test. But most days I get what I pay for. I've considered switching to Comcast to bundle with my cable but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Since: Dec 14

Location hidden

#39 Apr 24, 2015
Comcast is better than centurylink, but it's all still crap compared to fiber.
Damn

Greeneville, TN

#40 Apr 25, 2015
I've got 50MBPS with Comcast, but the bundle with net, HD, and phone is RIDICUOUSLY expensive.

Crooks are getting rich.

Greeneville TN

#41 Apr 26, 2015
Damn wrote:
I've got 50MBPS with Comcast, but the bundle with net, HD, and phone is RIDICUOUSLY expensive.
Crooks are getting rich.
I've priced it and I agree. I guess it comes down to what you need. If you are a big gamer or have a kid who is I can see needing that much. Or if you have multiple devices streaming programs. But most people pay for that much and never even come close to using it.

“The doctor is in!”

Since: Jul 14

Location hidden

#42 Apr 26, 2015
Pretend 2 B Normal wrote:
<quoted text>
I've priced it and I agree. I guess it comes down to what you need. If you are a big gamer or have a kid who is I can see needing that much. Or if you have multiple devices streaming programs. But most people pay for that much and never even come close to using it.
Wouldn't you want to have more than you need than not having enough and needing more and don't have it? I'm still talking internet here! 8~)

Greeneville TN

#43 Apr 26, 2015
Dr Wu wrote:
<quoted text>
Wouldn't you want to have more than you need than not having enough and needing more and don't have it? I'm still talking internet here! 8~)
To a point. I'm more talking about people that pay for 50+ Blaster and casually surf the Internet. I know of people that pay for 25 Mbps and don't have Netflix or any streaming services. Seems they could cut down to even 5 Mbps and still be happy. I have 1.5 Mbps and other than an occasional buffering on YouTube it does me fine. But I don't game or stream much of anything.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheriff election 3 min LmfaO 5
Only crooks plead the Fifth. YIKES. 4 min LmfaO 2
Poor wifey 16 min Not buying it 1
Greenevile High School Setting Bad Precedent 50 min Kohlrabi 39
Staff Pro Hiring? 54 min The real really 10
why do children take after the bad parent????? 1 hr Good job adults 21
Building codes not found in the constitution (Jun '14) 1 hr Change2101 4

Greeneville Jobs

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages