Slow Internet with Centurylink

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
South Greene Resident

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Mar 19, 2013
Has anyone else noticed their Centurylink web service becoming slower and slower. We had never had a problem with videos on youtube and on our home page until about three or four weeks ago. Now, we can't even get through a two minute on-line video without it stopping. Our computer is less than a year old and we get a regular tune up from Geek Squad, so I really don't think it is our problem. Also, I have been getting almost daily emails from Centurylink asking me if my internet is running slow and wanting me to upgrade (pay more). I honestly think Centurylink has purposely slowed the service. Maybe I am crazy? Or has anyone else experienced this same issue?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 19, 2013
No probs here. It's sure cheaper than Comcast/xfinity! I'm in south Greene also. Your computer up to date? Time for a clean out?
minetoo

Elizabethton, TN

#4 Mar 19, 2013
No, it's Century Link...too many people around are talking about it. This computer I"m using right now is less than a month old and flew when I used it at my friends house who has a different service. Then, I come home and it barely runs with Century Link.
just_me

Johnson City, TN

#5 Mar 20, 2013
I've been without internet since noon on Monday...came back on today at 3:15a.(Baileyton)
just_me

Johnson City, TN

#6 Mar 20, 2013
Meant pm!!
slowestlink

Elizabethton, TN

#7 Mar 21, 2013
South Greene Resident wrote:
Has anyone else noticed their Centurylink web service becoming slower and slower. We had never had a problem with videos on youtube and on our home page until about three or four weeks ago. Now, we can't even get through a two minute on-line video without it stopping. Our computer is less than a year old and we get a regular tune up from Geek Squad, so I really don't think it is our problem. Also, I have been getting almost daily emails from Centurylink asking me if my internet is running slow and wanting me to upgrade (pay more). I honestly think Centurylink has purposely slowed the service. Maybe I am crazy? Or has anyone else experienced this same issue?
same here in the city.
Paul

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Apr 13, 2013
We're in Colorado Springs and have had the same problems. Seems that it recently got slower, then we get a mailer & email saying " You're a high internet user, do you want to upgrade?"

We think they're doing it on purpose also to get people to upgrade to "faster" internet.
Anon

Jonesborough, TN

#9 Apr 13, 2013
Its dsl people, want faster get cable.
Dial UP Speed

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Aug 3, 2013
Tried cable and it sucked also - but not this bad. Getting 1MB service and paying for 12.....

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#11 Aug 4, 2013
Are you using a router? Is your buildings wiring old? Are you a good distance away from the road? Is there more than one computer using the internet at the time that you are having issues with youtube? These are a few common issues with DSL/Cable internet. It does seem odd that they send out emails and such saying "You are a high internet user". If you aren't downloading anything such as 50gb+ a month, I wouldn't consider it a high usage.

I wonder how many "high internet users" are on Topix?

:)
What Was I Thinking

Greeneville, TN

#12 Aug 4, 2013
I have comcast and my speed was 17.11 Mbps Download and 5.48 Mbps Upload
screwed too

Johnson City, TN

#13 Aug 5, 2013
I have Centurylink, also. Yes the service is getting slower. I also have had the problem of it going out about 1-3 hours a day. I have called them and in 5 to 10 minutes it is back up and running. I also get the emails to upgrade. I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to upgrade. I do think they are doing this so you will pay more for the service. Used to be super fast now it sucks.
drew

Colorado Springs, CO

#14 Oct 18, 2013
Centurylink is bar far the worst internet provider ever.
buster

Jonesborough, TN

#15 Oct 18, 2013
I have really good internet service with them.
Thankful

Bulls Gap, TN

#16 Oct 18, 2013
I am thankful that I didn't change. It took me 20 min. to go through all the recordings to get a real person. Then "Dennis" didn't follow through with what he said he would do.

“Outdoorsntn”

Since: Oct 13

Chuckey, Tn

#17 Oct 18, 2013
We just moved in new home and have had century link less than 2 weeks. So far it has been great.
No outages and very fast. What I am seeing makes me worry.
We came from a large metro area and dealing with cable/internet companies was a joke. If you had problems you called and were put on hold for a long time. All the time you were on hold they would replay recording about going to website for help. You go to website for help and they refer you back to the phone number you were just holding on.
I will say century link was much more reliable on the hook up appointment than I was used to.

“# it's a smile, it's a kiss”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#19 Oct 19, 2013
#DeleteYourCookies
Victor Garcia

Ürümqi, China

#20 Oct 19, 2013
Oooooooo! Pick me! Pick me!!
sounds awesome

Greeneville, TN

#22 Oct 19, 2013
speedy wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably need to give them a call. Mine was fluctuating in speed until I contacted them back in June, they replaced the cable from the pole to the house, a few connectors inside and now I never fall below 40 Mbps. d/l.(:
How many neighbors compete for that pipe with you and how much is your internet bill a month?
speedy

Montréal, Canada

#23 Oct 19, 2013
Not sure how many share my node but I'm on the standard Xfinity triple play package. Checked my speed this morning and it was 42.29 Mbps. d/l-6.63 Mbps. u/l from the Atlanta server.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris Key (Jul '13) 22 min a friend 37
who is terran sumey 28 min goon 4
***** last post wins ***** 44 min hmmm 45
gays marrying in 30 states 51 min about time 27
Jessica Darnell (Jun '11) 1 hr MyNegro 45
How is it working at So Pak Co??? 1 hr Dixie iron fist 3
REPUBLICANS say no to mobile home votes their t... 2 hr formally known as... 2
Busted ... : ( 3 hr Country boy 9
new sheriff says you are to old 6 hr fritz 60
Scintillaire Restaurant 9 hr Dr Wu 21