Lynn's restaurant
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hungry Guy

United States

#1 Mar 6, 2014
Did it close? I went by there on Tuesday night and they were closed. Called on Wednesday and the phone number was no good.
jake from state farm

Murfreesboro, TN

#2 Mar 6, 2014
Out of business. Hard times. Everybody's looking for answers.
TNmtnMAN

Kingsport, TN

#3 Mar 6, 2014
for rent sign in front of building
cookie

Hixson, TN

#4 Mar 6, 2014
jake from state farm wrote:
Out of business. Hard times. Everybody's looking for answers.
Answer: Food sucked. You can't stay in business if your product is bad. Went once. Horrible. Never went back. Advice: Go to Johnson City. Plenty of variety. Competition, so product is good.
Business Owner

Greeneville, TN

#5 Mar 6, 2014
As a business owner, I wanted people to know that it has been a very tough financial situation for the last few years. We are struggling just like you are. When times are good, and business is booming, you might make some money, but very few local business owners get rich.

We work hard, we worry a lot about taking care of our customers, employees, and our families. Nationwide, Radio Shack has announced the closing of 1,100 stores. Staples just announced the closing of 225 stores. Profit margin in most businesses is so thin, that when sales are off as little as 10-15%, a lot of businesses become a losing proposition.

I don't know the owner of Lynn's Restaurant, but I have been there a few times. It was out of the way for me. I hate to see a business go down, because there will be families affected. Heck, I could be next. Support your local small business owners if you can, because if you don't , you will be left with nothing but chain stores sending their deposits out of town.
agree

Lexington, SC

#6 Mar 6, 2014
Business Owner wrote:
As a business owner, I wanted people to know that it has been a very tough financial situation for the last few years. We are struggling just like you are. When times are good, and business is booming, you might make some money, but very few local business owners get rich.
We work hard, we worry a lot about taking care of our customers, employees, and our families. Nationwide, Radio Shack has announced the closing of 1,100 stores. Staples just announced the closing of 225m stores. Profit margin in most businesses is so thin, that when sales are off as little as 10-15%, a lot of businesses become a losing proposition.
I don't know the owner of Lynn's Restaurant, but I have been there a few times. It was out of the way for me. I hate to see a business go down, because there will be families affected. Heck, I could be next. Support your local small business owners if you can, because if you don't , you will be left with nothing but chain stores sending their deposits out of town.
I so agree and try to support all local businesses (ps would love to.support yours but unfortunately topix isn't always the.best advertising venue). It is also most unfortunate that it seems 'the rich [chain businesses I.e. Walmart] get richer and the poor [local bus owners]get poorer'. is there a solution/hope ahead?

“I've Always Been This Stupid”

Since: May 12

Greeneville TN

#7 Mar 6, 2014
I ate at Lynn's on three occasions. The first two were very good. The last time was terrible. I hate to see them close because of how good the first two times were for me. Hate to see any small local business close.
cookie

Greeneville, TN

#8 Mar 6, 2014
Business Owner wrote:
We work hard, we worry a lot about taking care of our customers, employees, and our families. Nationwide, Radio Shack has announced the closing of 1,100 stores. Staples just announced the closing of 225 stores. Profit margin in most businesses is so thin, that when sales are off as little as 10-15%, a lot of businesses become a losing proposition.
I call BS on this one. I see all the big and small biz owners in Greeneville rubbing elbows at church on sunday at first Baptist & Asbury. Nearly everyone of em driving around in SUVs, caddies, or other fancy vehicle us peons can afford. giving money to GHS and GMS; over at the Y; Link Hills. Yeah radio shack and staples are closing some stores, but the rich mucky mucks here in G-vegas are more than just fine. Johnson, Gass, Loven, Niswonger, Leonard, Miller, daniels, and on and on. So, I ain't buying this pity party. All you all try to keep out other businesses and restaurants so you don't have to pay higher wages to your workers, cut work hours to nearly part time, then sing the blues. But come the afternoon, weekend, and sundays, you're living the high life at Y, church, and ball games. The problem is one caddie ain't enough. We gotta be able to keep up with the rest of the Greeneville Joneses. Ain't making no money. LOL. cry me a river.

“The Early Years 1973”

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#9 Mar 7, 2014
I made a mistake by ordering a shrimp plate at Lynns. I chewed on I til my jaws were so tired that I had to spit it out. It was rubber shrimp of some sort.
Business Owner

Greeneville, TN

#10 Mar 7, 2014
cookie wrote:
<quoted text> I call BS on this one. I see all the big and small biz owners in Greeneville rubbing elbows at church on sunday at first Baptist & Asbury. Nearly everyone of em driving around in SUVs, caddies, or other fancy vehicle us peons can afford. giving money to GHS and GMS; over at the Y; Link Hills. Yeah radio shack and staples are closing some stores, but the rich mucky mucks here in G-vegas are more than just fine. Johnson, Gass, Loven, Niswonger, Leonard, Miller, daniels, and on and on. So, I ain't buying this pity party. All you all try to keep out other businesses and restaurants so you don't have to pay higher wages to your workers, cut work hours to nearly part time, then sing the blues. But come the afternoon, weekend, and sundays, you're living the high life at Y, church, and ball games. The problem is one caddie ain't enough. We gotta be able to keep up with the rest of the Greeneville Joneses. Ain't making no money. LOL. cry me a river.
For every Loven, Johnson, or Gass, you have 10 Sheltons, Cutshaws, or Scotts that struggle.

I don't belong or go to Link Hills, although a lot of Greene Countians spend enough per month on cigarettes to pay their dues there. I think it's just a couple hundred dollars a month. Anybody can lease a fancy car for 3-400 a month, so I am not sure that means they are all wealthy. I drive a 10 year old small car.

Some business owners are wealthy, of course, and I am happy for their success. Most of us are not in their league. I go to a little country church that has few assets, so don't judge hundreds of us based on a few who have been able to succeed. You should be happy for them, because it means that the American dream is achievable.
Need Good Food

Greeneville, TN

#11 Mar 7, 2014
Its a shame this business closed but I eaten there several times and the food WAS bad. All the food was instant or frozen or straight out of a can with no seasonings. I live about a mile from there and would love to have a place to eat near by. Hopefully someone will re-open it and actually COOK.
Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#12 Mar 7, 2014
cookie wrote:
<quoted text> I call BS on this one. I see all the big and small biz owners in Greeneville rubbing elbows at church on sunday at first Baptist & Asbury. Nearly everyone of em driving around in SUVs, caddies, or other fancy vehicle us peons can afford. giving money to GHS and GMS; over at the Y; Link Hills. Yeah radio shack and staples are closing some stores, but the rich mucky mucks here in G-vegas are more than just fine. Johnson, Gass, Loven, Niswonger, Leonard, Miller, daniels, and on and on. So, I ain't buying this pity party. All you all try to keep out other businesses and restaurants so you don't have to pay higher wages to your workers, cut work hours to nearly part time, then sing the blues. But come the afternoon, weekend, and sundays, you're living the high life at Y, church, and ball games. The problem is one caddie ain't enough. We gotta be able to keep up with the rest of the Greeneville Joneses. Ain't making no money. LOL. cry me a river.
The people that you mentioned who you are jealous of have a few things in common. Allen Johnson, Scott Niswonger, Jimmy Loven, Terry Leonard, and Tracy Gass all sell the majority of their products in areas other than Greeneville. Sam Miller is notr a business owner to my knowledge. He is President of a credit union. He worked his way u through the ranks at other banks, including Greene County Bank , and was in the right place, at the right time, with the right education and skill set when Consumer Credit expanded.

Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#13 Mar 7, 2014
cookie wrote:
To continue where I left off......

W.T. Daniels married into a very wealthy family. John Bohannon had several business interests and property back many, many years ago. He had two daughters, one of whom married Lyle Thomas, the other married Frank Susong. Lyle Thomas had 2 sons, John ( deceased) and Tommy, and a daughter Drucilla. Frank Susong had 2 daughters, Andrea and Gloria. Gloria married Leonard Golden, Bobby George, and Kyle Parkins. Andrea married W.T. Daniels. I have no idea whether Daniels would have succeeded or not without backing. I would think that it at least opened doors for him to be on the Board of the Greene County Bank.

When you get to Leonard, Johnson, and Niswonger, they also have something in common. They all had a wealthy mentor that they latched onto, and rode to success. Leonard actually had two, Bob Smith ( partner who supplied the money )in the Men's Shop that Leonard ran, and was a partner, and Edsel Kilday, former dentist, bank president, and entrepreneur. Smith was later Tennessee Highway Commissioner.

As bank president, Kilday was in a position to know what properties were getting foreclosed on , and he bought them for himself. He was at the hub of commerce in Greene Co. and used all the power that he could muster to become wealthy. He bought land and sold it to incoming factories. Leonard latched onto him, got on the Board of Directors of the Greene County Bank with Daniels. From there, Leonard got into the Partnership. He got into industrial development, and found out what businesses wanted to locate here, what kind of property and supporting businesses they needed , and started some factories to supply them, and sold them land. One of his failures was allegedly trying to use his late wife's position on the school board to relocate Greeneville High to land that he owned on the Baileyton Road.
Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#14 Mar 7, 2014
continued

Allen Johnson also had a wealthy mentor in Fred Myers at Greeneville Oil. Johnson got an education with an accounting background I think, and went to work at Greeneville Oil. When Myers was sent to jail for price fixing, Johnson took over and ran the place. How he was able to take over the distributorship is unknown to me, but he has been able to greatly expand with several gas stations and convenience markets in several surrounding towns.

Niswonger's mentor was Ed Sayler, who was a founder of Land Air. Niswonger came to Greeneville from Ohio as a pilot. He had early failures with General Aviation and Flying Tigers freight as I recall. He hit on the right combination with Land Air and Forward Air, and his best move was finding Bruce Campbell to expand his reach..
Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#15 Mar 7, 2014
Okay, I'm back. Without Greene County Bank, there is probably no Edsel Kilday, therefore no Terry Leonard and maybe no W.T. Daniels as you know them. They made connections through being on the bank board to further their careers. Sam Miller also furthered his career through the Greene County Bank as a bank executive.

Without Fred Myers, there is no Allen Johnson as you know him. Without Ed Sayler, no Niswonger as you know him. As my knowledge of Jimmy Loven and Tracy Gass is limited, as far as I know they are self made men, but they may have had help along the way that I am not aware of. Make friends with a rich man. It can only help you.
cookie

Knoxville, TN

#16 Mar 7, 2014
Old Timer wrote:
Okay, I'm back. Without Greene County Bank, there is probably no Edsel Kilday, therefore no Terry Leonard and maybe no W.T. Daniels as you know them. They made connections through being on the bank board to further their careers. Sam Miller also furthered his career through the Greene County Bank as a bank executive.
Without Fred Myers, there is no Allen Johnson as you know him. Without Ed Sayler, no Niswonger as you know him. As my knowledge of Jimmy Loven and Tracy Gas limited, as far as I know they are self made men, but they may have had help along the way that I am not aware of. Make friends with a rich man. It can only help you.
You made my point exactly. Thank you for the genealogy lesson. My point: If you ain't part of the little, good old boy click, you're at the bottom, or at the very least, beneath the click. We're all told to support all the businesses owned by all those you just mentioned, so that they can gain more power and wealth, so that they can eliminate competition and keep wages and benefits low, thus taking advantage of all the rest of us. Its also nice to know that all the people ruining Greeneville are the same ones that ruined Greene County Bank. They ought a be in jail. Bottom line: Lynn's restaurant food sucked=out of business. However, the Greeneville mafia of biz owners are doing just fine without my money.
Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#17 Mar 7, 2014
cookie wrote:
<quoted text> You made my point exactly. Thank you for the genealogy lesson. My point: If you ain't part of the little, good old boy click, you're at the bottom, or at the very least, beneath the click. We're all told to support all the businesses owned by all those you just mentioned, so that they can gain more power and wealth, so that they can eliminate competition and keep wages and benefits low, thus taking advantage of all the rest of us. Its also nice to know that all the people ruining Greeneville are the same ones that ruined Greene County Bank. They ought a be in jail. Bottom line: Lynn's restaurant food sucked=out of business. However, the Greeneville mafia of biz owners are doing just ine without my money.
I don't care if you support any of their businesses or not.. These guys became members of the clique by hanging around with people in power. Like I said, most do not depend on making a living off of the locals. Their businesses stretch well outside of Greene County. It is hard to make a living off of people who are broke. I don't believe that any of them got rich off of Greene Countians.

Gass sells and leases to several states. Niswonger is nationwide and Canada .Loven services East Tenn. Johnson sells in several towns in Tenn and Virginia I think. Leonard sends his plastics and boxes out of state. The only two who make most of their income here are Daniels and Miller, and they aren't really in the league as the others. Support whomever you wish. Be envious of whomever you wish. I feel sure that they will do fine without you.
Release

Greeneville, TN

#18 Mar 7, 2014
Old Timer wrote:
<quoted text>I don't care if you support any of their businesses or not.. These guys became members of the clique by hanging around with people in power. Like I said, most do not depend on making a living off of the locals. Their businesses stretch well outside of Greene County. It is hard to make a living off of people who are broke. I don't believe that any of them got rich off of Greene Countians.
Gass sells and leases to several states. Niswonger is nationwide and Canada .Loven services East Tenn. Johnson sells in several towns in Tenn and Virginia I think. Leonard sends his plastics and boxes out of state. The only two who make most of their income here are Daniels and Miller, and they aren't really in the league as the others. Support whomever you wish. Be envious of whomever you wish. I feel sure that they will do fine without you.
I enjoyed your articles. You seem to be right on with all that I know about these people. I'm pretty sure Tracy's dad, Earl, had a lot to do with him being where he is. I also would like to say I liked eating at Lynn's.
Old Timer

Greeneville, TN

#19 Mar 7, 2014
Release wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed your articles. You seem to be right on with all that I know about these people. I'm pretty sure Tracy's dad, Earl, had a lot to do with him being where he is. I also would like to say I liked eating at Lynn's.
I ate there 3 or 4 times, and thought it was as good as any other little country restaurant.
wealth monkey

Johnson City, TN

#20 Mar 7, 2014
Scott didn't get that way with drug flights from Mexico as the rumors say ? Who cares speaking for myself I just wish he would brake ranks and pay a living wage we should forgive all then . What you think ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Greene county high schools into one??? 9 min Paul jones 99
Why does a teacher get to vote for a new school? 31 min Voter 1
US Markets So Far This Year 1 hr unreal 5
Condoning abortion should be embarrassing 1 hr ONSLOW 2
Max Planck For Sheriff 2 hr Luke Skytalker 810
County Clerk 2 hr Ricky Anderson 46
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 3 hr Princess Hey 11,318

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages