Yep

Greeneville, TN

#34 Jun 7, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
<quoted text>I was raised on some of the best and fairest news reporting in the world. Were there mistakes made, yes, were there scandals, yes, but overall you got the news and became better informed. CNN came along and the news cycle disappeared and instantaneous news became the norm, an improvement, yes, but also brought problems with accuracy due to quickness. Fox News, an oxymoron if I ever heard one, is not news at all but entertainment based on news and directed at a particular audience. The descriptive adjectives and tone and demeanor of the reporters would be rejected in any reputable journalism class. I can tell within a few sentences of a discussion about news whether a person has been watching Fox News or its antagonist the NBC News Network. As for the Sun, it may be true Gays want to come out and be talked about, that is not the point, the point is the way the story was presented. If Bragdon had been beaten there would have been no story as in the past, but he won. It was a story intentionally designed to create a reaction, not to present news, thus it was inflammatory. It gave an erroneous statistic, "first openly gay alderman," a statistic they have no way of proving. Twenty years ago before the Fox News Craze such a story would never have passed journalistic muster nor should it have and would have wound up on the cutting room floor where it belonged.
I am no Fox News fan and I believe you missed my point. On the national level, all media outlets love such a story and they present the stories in much the same way, most often to the delight of the gay and lesbian crowd. As I mentioned, the gay NBA player was on every network, then the President and First Lady applauded him and that made the news. Anyone who is gay on the national political level always gets a nod from the media, with tons of coverage. Anytime there is a first for a gay or lesbian, it makes national news. I believe the Sun simply followed suite. I disagree with that direction both locally and nationally. Who cares. Someone's sexual preference is none of my business and it doesn't make a news story in my opinion, yet most who are in the news for being the first gay this or lesbian that bask in the spotlight (like the gay NBA player). And I think it is safe to say Brian is openly gay. We live in an age where the the person who wrote the Sun article could simply pull up his Facebook and realize, yep he's gay. It is simply a sign of the f'd up times we're living. I rarely defend the Sun, but see that article being standard course by today's media standards.

If we had a monkey elected as Alderman, now that'd be a story. Oh wait, we've had several of those.
Bill

Greeneville, TN

#36 Jun 7, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
<quoted text>I was raised on some of the best and fairest news reporting in the world. Were there mistakes made, yes, were there scandals, yes, but overall you got the news and became better informed. CNN came along and the news cycle disappeared and instantaneous news became the norm, an improvement, yes, but also brought problems with accuracy due to quickness. Fox News, an oxymoron if I ever heard one, is not news at all but entertainment based on news and directed at a particular audience. The descriptive adjectives and tone and demeanor of the reporters would be rejected in any reputable journalism class. I can tell within a few sentences of a discussion about news whether a person has been watching Fox News or its antagonist the NBC News Network. As for the Sun, it may be true Gays want to come out and be talked about, that is not the point, the point is the way the story was presented. If Bragdon had been beaten there would have been no story as in the past, but he won. It was a story intentionally designed to create a reaction, not to present news, thus it was inflammatory. It gave an erroneous statistic, "first openly gay alderman," a statistic they have no way of proving. Twenty years ago before the Fox News Craze such a story would never have passed journalistic muster nor should it have and would have wound up on the cutting room floor where it belonged.
If this guy is not the "first openly gay Alderman," who was? It is up to you to furnish proof if you doubt the story.
The Sun has been in the O'Keefe/Susong/Jones family for well over 100 years. Actually, I think more like 125/135 years. The current generation is in their 60's and 70's. Their parents , who ran the paper prior to them, are now right at 100 years old. Trust me on this, if there had been an OPENLY gay Alderman previously, they are in position to know. The family has covered the Board meetings for over 100 years. I don't believe that there have been too many openly gay people serving in any public capacity, for very many years here in town. Most of them left, and moved away, including one of their close relatives.

Are there gays here, and have they always been here? Of course, but most have kept it to themselves. I don't understand why anybody wants to broadcast their sex life, or where they poke their tool period. Who gives a flying shit?
Bill

Greeneville, TN

#39 Jun 7, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
You are wrong it is not up to me to prove the statement wrong, I did not print it or make it, the Sun did. I call the stat into question and ask them to prove it and they can't because they made it up based on belief and not facts. The fact the family and paper have been around that long is irrelevant. The truth is there is no documentation on openly gay aldermen, the stat is not provable unlike first woman or black alderman. The statement should never have been used, it is erroneous and inflammatory. I agree with your last statement which seems to contradict your previous statements. Why should the Sun care about this guys sexual orientation as compared to Ms. Webster's or Mr. Paxton's or Mr. Hawk's or for the Mayor even, I do not know their sexual orientation and do not care.
I don't care what they print if it is true. I have heard for years that the Alderman is gay. He apparently likes the attention. Tell me why the Sun's statement is not provable. If no Alderman in the last 100+ years that the paper has covered has been an open flamer, then I believe that their statement is fact. They didn't say that he was the first Alderman to take it in the wazoo or pack fudge.
Want to know

Greeneville, TN

#40 Jun 7, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
We had an openly gay sheriff and I do not recall the Sun printing anything about him. Perhaps the Sun only prints about sexuality when it wants to erroneously inflame the public, my original point.
Who was the openly gay Sheriff? If he was out in the open, I'm sure he wouldn't mind his name on here.
Former Sun Reader

Greeneville, TN

#42 Jun 8, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
<quoted text>Ask the Greeneville Sun, they supposedly know people's sexuality.
All they know is gossip and kissing up to local "community leaders".
Easy pickings

Greeneville, TN

#43 Jun 8, 2014
Sun Reader wrote:
<quoted text>Ask the Greeneville Sun, they supposedly know people's sexuality.
That is pretty easy to know when a man goes to his class reunion, and romantically dances with his boyfriend, and then later puts on Facebook that he is married to him. It doesn't take much investigative reporting to determine that the guy just might like a hard one in his caboose.
Easy pickings

Greeneville, TN

#45 Jun 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
I have met aldermen, sheriffs and representatives as well as other important figures out on dates with their FRIENDS of the same sex, is that open or not, didn't leave anything to the imagination so I guess you could call it open. Brain is not the first.
If it is out in the open, then name them. Otherwise, you are just covering for him by saying everybody does it. Liar.
Easy pickings

Greeneville, TN

#47 Jun 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>I do not cover for anybody, that is what the Sun does best cover for its friends, the people who are around these people know who they are and it is widely known, I personally did not know Brian was Gay until the Sun reported it, does that mean it was not widely known because I did not know it. It is really none of my business or the Sun's business about a person's sexuality but if you want to know who the people are I am talking about just ask around and you will get their names. I will not give you their names because you are a bigoted idiot who does not need to be messing in other people's affairs.
Liar! Why do you capitalize gay? Do you wear it as a badge of honor? Do you capitalize straight?
Easy pickings

Greeneville, TN

#49 Jun 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>Cannot prove me a liar little boy so go home and cry to your mom. I capitalize based on the rules of capitalization but I am not perfect and sometimes make mistakes. The reason I capitalize Gay is because I am talking about a group of people and when you are talking about a group of people you are suppose to capitalize, examples, Indians, Whites, Blacks, Communists, Conservatives, Liberals, Jews, Atheists, Christians, Pornographers, Ballerinas, Straights, sorry you missed that day in school.
I guess that if it makes you feel important to capitalize the word gay, then feel free. However, the word was used as a predicate adjective in your sentence (over the subject Brian), and was neither a proper noun, nor the first word in the sentence. The only way that you could possibly justify capitalizing the word would be to say that he was a member of the Gay Community because that refers to a group of people. You sound like a 10th grader trying to justify your mistake.
Easy pickings

Greeneville, TN

#51 Jun 8, 2014
Truth wrote:
Your hatred of Gays is so consuming you would argue about capitalization on Topix, not exactly a forum known for proper English or punctuation or capitalization. I suspect you have deep seated homosexual feelings and are trying to project them onto other people when it is actually hatred for your own feelings which is driving you. I would suggest you come out of the closet and become open with your feelings or at least see a psychiatrist.
I don't hate anybody. I just call it like I see it. He is gay. Who cares? Why did the Sun print it? I don't know. Ask them. I just said that they are in position to know what they printed.

I don't think that anyone should be singled out, or given special privileges because of where they stick their pole. I would rather not know what anybody does in their bedroom. Do I want to have sex with a man? I have never entertained the thought. I wasn't born that way. Maybe you and Brian were. I don't care. Maybe it is a birth defect, or maybe a mental illness. Either way it goes against nature.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#52 Jun 8, 2014
Easy pickings wrote:
<quoted text>I guess that if it makes you feel important to capitalize the word gay, then feel free. However, the word was used as a predicate adjective in your sentence (over the subject Brian), and was neither a proper noun, nor the first word in the sentence. The only way that you could possibly justify capitalizing the word would be to say that he was a member of the Gay Community because that refers to a group of people. You sound like a 10th grader trying to justify your mistake.
And you sound like a kindergarten child out on the playground stating Johnny the Gay dude just took my place in line for dodge ball...who really gives a shat anymore whether it is a subject, predicate, or verb...someone is gay and has come out of the closet and surely to goodness does not care one way or the other how you use the word in your sentence structure.People get over yourselves.
The Sun

Greeneville, TN

#53 Jun 8, 2014
Who wants to read a nearly-dead newspaper with more ads than actual articles?

Not me. I will never have one of those green boxes in front of my house.
lmao

Tampa, FL

#54 Jun 8, 2014
cretin56 wrote:
<quoted text>And you sound like a kindergarten child out on the playground stating Johnny the Gay dude just took my place in line for dodge ball...who really gives a shat anymore whether it is a subject, predicate, or verb...someone is gay and has come out of the closet and surely to goodness does not care one way or the other how you use the word in your sentence structure.People get over yourselves.
amens and amens....I am proud if he is the first openly gay...but I do agree the Greeneville Sin is about as close to FAUX News as you can get.
Fingers Crossed

Greeneville, TN

#57 Jun 9, 2014
This just means that everything will be decided 3-2 with Boss Hog casting the deciding vote on ties. But it also means Paxton and Bragdon can raise all sorts of wrongdoing PUBLICLY that the other media will cover when the Greeneville Gossip Rag fails to (as usual). Just one more seat and there can finally be some real change!
Analysis wrote:
If Paxton and Bragdon are on one side and Hawk and Wexler are on the other then that puts Daniels in the middle and should make for a nice little Greeneville Sandwich, perhaps a chipped ham sandwich, utterly delicious.
Ralph Lauren

Greeneville, TN

#58 Jun 9, 2014
Fingers Crossed wrote:
This just means that everything will be decided 3-2 with Boss Hog casting the deciding vote on ties. But it also means Paxton and Bragdon can raise all sorts of wrongdoing PUBLICLY that the other media will cover when the Greeneville Gossip Rag fails to (as usual). Just one more seat and there can finally be some real change!
<quoted text>
Correct on all counts.
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#61 Jun 10, 2014
Inquiring Minds wrote:
I just wonder how many Gay Couples are in Greeneville and Greene County since the Greeneville Sun obviously keeps such statistics maybe they will print a story and release some names and addresses.
Yes, and how many gay people work at the Sun? Do you think they will ever post those names? NO

Since: May 14

Location hidden

#63 Jun 10, 2014
I don't care if he is gay. Citizens want change and he is a first step in helping with changes to Greeneville. If people would quit voting for Buddy Hawk and the same candidates time and time again, the town may have a chance in the future. It's the same ole, same ole in this town!
The Gay Statistician

Greeneville, TN

#64 Jun 10, 2014
Inquiring Minds wrote:
I just wonder how many Gay Couples are in Greeneville and Greene County since the Greeneville Sun obviously keeps such statistics maybe they will print a story and release some names and addresses.
There are currently 1,547 gays living in Greene County.
The Gay Statistician

Greeneville, TN

#67 Jun 10, 2014
Friend of Gays wrote:
<quoted text>Could you please tell me who the one lonely individual is who has no partner I would really like to meet him or her.
He is involved in a threesome.

Since: Feb 14

Location hidden

#68 Jun 10, 2014
Inquiring Minds wrote:
I just wonder how many Gay Couples are in Greeneville and Greene County since the Greeneville Sun obviously keeps such statistics maybe they will print a story and release some names and addresses.
Maxine Humphries is retiring from Greeneville radio..I have never seen a picture of her but have listened to her on the radio. I am hoping the newspaper will concentrate more on honoring such a wonderful person and leave the gays alone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zachary Brewer, 19, of Biddle Street 32 min NobodyUKno 2
Sorry beardies - your beards are infested 47 min Wondering 10
Greeneville Greene County EMS (Aug '14) 1 hr Friend of EMS 37
dunkin doughnuts 1 hr jamie smiles 6
2 best drawings at muhaamd fest in texas 1 hr jamie smiles 6
The Big Dig on East Church(near Towering Oaks) 1 hr dingleberry 98
Finally, a video game for the folks in Greeneville 1 hr true dat 2
White girls black babies 13 hr whothehellcares- 15
More from around the web

Greeneville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]