Brainwash

Spruce Pine, NC

#23 Jan 28, 2014
Is sending kids to public schools to be brainwashed child abuse? Some of the brightest children I know were / are home schooled.
marthe stewart

United States

#24 Jan 28, 2014
Bertha Buttplug wrote:
<quoted text>
The World is changing and people are becoming who and what they want. Kids aren't taught to be anything, just given alternative views of the World to make their own choices. It's better sometimes than indoctrination into what society thinks they should be according to long accepted "standards" that are slowly evaporating. Some people are afraid of change....
Thinking like yours is exactly why Jimmy Carter was defeated in a landslide by one of the greatest, most revered presidents in US history. In fact back in the 80's, Americans en masse decided that they had had enough of people like you, and in many ways Ronald Reagan's election was symbolic of a peaceful revolution not unlike Ghandi's peaceful stand against tyranny.

And that's what we need to see here in America again. Christians need to wake up and take a stand, and stop tolerating things like the homosexual agenda being forced on us. Stop tolerating so-called "diversity" as though it is a good thing. Stop tolerating the Liberals. We need to take a stand for what is right. It is up to Christians to take over this country and restore values, morality, and our way of life.
Goodness

Greeneville, TN

#25 Jan 28, 2014
Coming from a girl in her senior year of high school via homeschool, I am in no way 'socially awkward.' Or 'a social outcast.' I have lived a perfectly normal life. How is that child abuse?
Brainwash

Greeneville, TN

#26 Jan 28, 2014
Goodness wrote:
Coming from a girl in her senior year of high school via homeschool, I am in no way 'socially awkward.' Or 'a social outcast.' I have lived a perfectly normal life. How is that child abuse?
Liberals fear those who aren't being indoctrinated by the public education system. Further, if Common Core doesn't make parents want to home school, those parents are fools. The liberal agenda is progressing.
Phil_is_Right

Greeneville, TN

#27 Jan 28, 2014
Bertha Buttplug wrote:
<quoted text>
The World is changing and people are becoming who and what they want. Kids aren't taught to be anything, just given alternative views of the World to make their own choices. It's better sometimes than indoctrination into what society thinks they should be according to long accepted "standards" that are slowly evaporating. Some people are afraid of change....
The world is coming under Satan's grip and there are those here who welcome his claws around their doomed souls. Those who do not condemn the gays, the lesbians and the feminazis will soon serve their god - the Antichrist. And they will burn with him for eternity! Repent before it is too late!
Phil is a fraud

Johnson City, TN

#28 Jan 28, 2014
marthe stewart wrote:
<quoted text>
Thinking like yours is exactly why Jimmy Carter was defeated in a landslide by one of the greatest, most revered presidents in US history. In fact back in the 80's, Americans en masse decided that they had had enough of people like you, and in many ways Ronald Reagan's election was symbolic of a peaceful revolution not unlike Ghandi's peaceful stand against tyranny.
And that's what we need to see here in America again. Christians need to wake up and take a stand, and stop tolerating things like the homosexual agenda being forced on us. Stop tolerating so-called "diversity" as though it is a good thing. Stop tolerating the Liberals. We need to take a stand for what is right. It is up to Christians to take over this country and restore values, morality, and our way of life.
history rewrite plus opinion confused with fact
Phil is a fraud

Johnson City, TN

#29 Jan 28, 2014
Phil_is_Right wrote:
<quoted text>
The world is coming under Satan's grip and there are those here who welcome his claws around their doomed souls. Those who do not condemn the gays, the lesbians and the feminazis will soon serve their god - the Antichrist. And they will burn with him for eternity! Repent before it is too late!
Making hell and damnation inviting.
Phil_is_Right

Greeneville, TN

#30 Jan 28, 2014
Phil is a fraud wrote:
<quoted text>Making hell and damnation inviting.
You will remember saying this while you burn forever, and you also are not fit to kiss Phil Robertson's boots as he is a Godly man who shows us all the Truth.
Phil is a Fraud

Johnson City, TN

#31 Jan 28, 2014
Phil_is_Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You will remember saying this while you burn forever, and you also are not fit to kiss Phil Robertson's boots as he is a Godly man who shows us all the Truth.
Phil Robertson worships only the money he makes getting over on gullible people like you.
JoeMineer

Winchester, KY

#32 Feb 16, 2014
The word "Homeschooling" is a man-made label. And like other labels, it comes with a pre-conceived idea of what it means. Not necessarily of Truth.

The real definition of homeschooling means "Raising and educating your children". Now that is a very basic fundamental concept of parenting. It should be the very first thing that occurs to any caring and loving parent. I cannot imagine anyone else raising my children because that is why I am called a parent. To raise the children. It does not matter to me what the modern "conformist" ideal is about what child raising is. Thousands of years before 21st century have already defined what it means. We not only shelter and care for them. But we educate them as well. It was never intended for children to be raised by a corrupted government institution. Or any other institution for that matter.

No one can love your children the way you do. Nobody can know their needs the way a parent can. It has been said many times that a parent doesn't love a child more than their own. Regardless of what their mouth may say otherwise. A child needs its mother and father to influence it.

"Raise them in the way they should go". It is the parent that accumulates the understanding of a single child over time. Hours of time spent observing and interacting with that child. And as a parent, it is our Christ influenced wisdom that helps to guide that child. That's a big distinction from having our children in a public school getting told about homosexuality, sex, politics, bullying, and just plain being taught all the wrong things. I could care less what a million people collectively believe is right. If GOD tells me something is not right, then that is what I believe. People are foolish. They will believe anything that is played over and over in the news. Therefore, I cannot trust people to guide what I believe. GOD is the most trustworthy source of all wisdom.

I was well above average in my academic skills as a child. I went to public school. And I absolutely hated it. I missed weeks at a time. But would go back still knowing more than my classmates. Why? Because I studied at home all by myself. I have learned a lot of things in my lifetime that many have not. Things that they wouldn't care to know. Mostly TRUTH. Because people hate the Truth. It is my experience that people love lies because it suits their lifestyle. Truth is pre-defined. You have to alter your life to suit Truth. That explains why Jesus Christ was such a threat to many. And He still is.

We now raise our own children at home like parents are supposed to. One parent should stay at home at all times to influence the children. That's how you turn out wise adults. But as we can see in today's world, the governments do not want wise people. It's not hard to see why. All the more reason why people need to be homeschooling their children. Public schools are havens of corruption. They stink. And they always have. Ever since the Holy Bible was closed and the paddles were removed.

As a person who has been on the inside of a public school, I walked the walk, seen honor roll many times. Been an accomplished musician. Learned auto mechanics. Plumbing. Carpentry. And took 6 years of college to get a degree in Computer Science and Telecommunications.

I will still be the first in line to advise all parents to NOT send their kids to public school or any other institution. Kids don't even belong in daycares. They need spiritual development far more than academic. That's the difference between raising children IN the world versus raising them OF the world. Corruption comes from family, friends, and from strangers. We need to be their protectors. Because corruption is only as far as the TV remote or mailbox.

My wife and I get all kinds of comments from relatives about the fact that we home-school our children. But I could care less what they believe. I think I am wise enough to raise my own children right. I just don't raise them like its 2014.
Liberty Palance

United States

#33 Feb 17, 2014
JoeMineer wrote:
No one can love your children the way you do. Nobody can know their needs the way a parent can. It has been said many times that a parent doesn't love a child more than their own. Regardless of what their mouth may say otherwise. A child needs its mother and father to influence it.
"Raise them in the way they should go". It is the parent that accumulates the understanding of a single child over time. Hours of time spent observing and interacting with that child. And as a parent, it is our Christ influenced wisdom that helps to guide that child. That's a big distinction from having our children in a public school getting told about homosexuality, sex, politics, bullying, and just plain being taught all the wrong things. I could care less what a million people collectively believe is right. If GOD tells me something is not right, then that is what I believe. People are foolish. They will believe anything that is played over and over in the news. Therefore, I cannot trust people to guide what I believe. GOD is the most trustworthy source of all wisdom.
I was well above average in my academic skills as a child. I went to public school. And I absolutely hated it. I missed weeks at a time. But would go back still knowing more than my classmates. Why? Because I studied at home all by myself. I have learned a lot of things in my lifetime that many have not. Things that they wouldn't care to know. Mostly TRUTH. Because people hate the Truth. It is my experience that people love lies because it suits their lifestyle. Truth is pre-defined. You have to alter your life to suit Truth. That explains why Jesus Christ was such a threat to many. And He still is.
We now raise our own children at home like parents are supposed to. One parent should stay at home at all times to influence the children. That's how you turn out wise adults. But as we can see in today's world, the governments do not want wise people. It's not hard to see why. All the more reason why people need to be homeschooling their children. Public schools are havens of corruption. They stink. And they always have. Ever since the Holy Bible was closed and the paddles were removed.
As a person who has been on the inside of a public school, I walked the walk, seen honor roll many times. Been an accomplished musician. Learned auto mechanics. Plumbing. Carpentry. And took 6 years of college to get a degree in Computer Science and Telecommunications.
I will still be the first in line to advise all parents to NOT send their kids to public school or any other institution. Kids don't even belong in daycares. They need spiritual development far more than academic. That's the difference between raising children IN the world versus raising them OF the world. Corruption comes from family, friends, and from strangers. We need to be their protectors. Because corruption is only as far as the TV remote or mailbox.
My wife and I get all kinds of comments from relatives about the fact that we home-school our children. But I could care less what they believe. I think I am wise enough to raise my own children right. I just don't raise them like its 2014.
Very well stated. I have grandchildren who are home schooled and do quite well.

I have other children who frown on this and never fail to get their digs in. This is born of envy and hatred. They have sent their own child (another one of my grandchildren) to day care since he was a small baby and sing the praises of state run schools. I pray for them to attain the type of spirituality you eloquently mention.

Sorry but I had to snip your post for it to fit.
JMO

United States

#34 Feb 17, 2014
It does not look like these home schooled kids are doing too much school work if they are posting on Topix and plus it keeps students from real world experience with real world people , you can't keep your kids in a bubble or they will go wild when they get freedom. At the very least, put them in activities, sports, church activities, around people that are not just like them and see what all they learn. Jusr my opinion
NJ Mom

Absecon, NJ

#35 Feb 17, 2014
We started home schooling our daughter after moving to Tennessee to keep her away from the ignorant white trash kids here. We didn't want her on drugs, pregnant or in jail.

“I've Always Been This Stupid”

Since: May 12

Greeneville TN

#36 Feb 17, 2014
NJ Mom wrote:
We started home schooling our daughter after moving to Tennessee to keep her away from the ignorant white trash kids here. We didn't want her on drugs, pregnant or in jail.
You made one mistake: if she was around us she would be on drugs, pregnant, AND in jail.
Mimi Rothschild

Bryn Mawr, PA

#37 Feb 18, 2014
Worthington wrote:
I recently had an interesting discussion with a friend. Not discussing the legality or constitutionality of home schooling children, rather the psychological effects?
Are children that are home schooled set up for failure? Home schooled kids usually turn out to be socially awkward and weird. They lack proper social skills that will make them successful professionally and socially. This may be due in part to the people who usually tend to homeschool their kids (religious fundamentalists, paranoid anti-government types, and etc.) rather than the lack of social interaction.
Not to mention many top colleges quietly discourage admission committees to offer admission to home schooled students.
Any thoughts?
This is the post of an uninformed individual. I have been involved in homeschooling since 1983, both personally and professionally, and my experience is quite the opposite of what this poster describes.

Mimi Rothschild
Co-founder, The Jubilee Academy Online Homeschooling
Www.TheJubileeAcademy.org
BDI

Elizabethton, TN

#38 Feb 18, 2014
Goodness wrote:
That's because u had parents who desired more for you than what they were probably afforded.Cheers to you and to your great moral parents! One question tho' due to the fact that I don't know much about home-schooling...how do you participate in sports, and are your schooling credits to gain access to college accepted at a university?
communist

Greeneville, TN

#39 Feb 18, 2014
Any other kind of schooling is better than the public school system now being run by democrats. Common core is just another name for "communist".
The Children Suffer

Dunlap, TN

#40 Feb 18, 2014
Yes.
recently widowed

Charlotte, NC

#42 May 19, 2014
No,its parent abuse!!! lmao
FriendofDog

United States

#43 May 20, 2014
I think home-schooling would be as good as the parent that is teaching it period. My granddaughter is a sophomore and is in her 2nd year of Latin, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus and AP Physics this year. (West coast school) If a parent is capable of teaching their child these subjects, good for them. I seriously doubt that many of the Greene COunty parents are on par to do this however. My granddaughter is planning on going to med school so it is important that she take these type of classes. I couldn't teach this stuff myself to her that's for sure. lol A child that is getting the extra attention from their parent in a teaching/learning environment would be leaps ahead of public school I believe. As a child, my Dad and I played school together. When I went into first grade (back in the dark ages, no kindergarten where I lived) I was 5 years old. I could already read, write, name the 50 states, their state capitals, spell words like rhubarb, etc. Just because my Dad took up time with me after work and taught me as we spent time together. Public schools do not compare in this area.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 13 min Bree_Z 5,643
Effects from smoking cigarettes 38 min Word Woman 21
Boone Fletcher 2 hr Zippy 3
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 2 hr From Jenny xoxo 162
***** last post wins ***** 2 hr Bree_Z 595
On the 1st day of Christmas 3 hr From Jenny xoxo 32
Favorite Classic Music? 4 hr Bree_Z 25
What goes on at Timberfell? (Sep '11) 11 hr Greene Light 277
Principal at Mosheim 16 hr Geeze Louise 79
Greeneville Dating