Obama shuts down Boone NC man teachin...

Obama shuts down Boone NC man teaching surviving in nature

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

greene guy

Raleigh, NC

#1 Mar 3, 2013
After 26 years of living off the land, and teaching scores of people about the American Heritage way of getting back to nature, Eustace Conway, who was featured on featured on The History Channel’s “Mountain Men“, has been forced to close his nature school.

Eustace, who purchased a large amount of land outside Boone, N.C., has been using his land to teach people how to live closer to nature. But now, thanks to government officials who don’t agree with his lifestyle, Eustace is being forced to fight for his way of life, and to keep his school open.

Like many of the stories we’ve covered over the last couple of years, Eustace is another in a long string of people who are being “zoned” out of existence. From the heartbreaking story of Andrew Wordes, who took his life after code enforcement teams seized his home, to the Off-Griders in California who are being illegally forced back on to the grid, what’s happening to Eustace seems to be a calculated attack on anyone who dares live a self-sufficient lifestyle.

It’s really sickening when you look into what’s really going on. We have government officials across our land who are threatening people, arresting them, and forcibly taking their land; and for what?

When did it become acceptable for the government to intimidate someone off their land? When did it become acceptable for the government to tell us how we can live on our own land? These aren’t people living in some urban area, where you might be able to make a case for zoning ordinances; these are people who live in rural areas of the country on large plots of land.

In the case of Eustace Conway, this is a man who lives on a large plot of rural land who isn’t doing anything to disturb anyone in anyway. Yet county officials have literally shut him down, and told him he can’t teach people how to live off the land unless he makes changes that would go against his way of life.
critic

Johnson City, TN

#2 Mar 3, 2013
greene guy wrote:
After 26 years of living off the land, and teaching scores of people about the American Heritage way of getting back to nature, Eustace Conway, who was featured on featured on The History Channel’s “Mountain Men“, has been forced to close his nature school.
Eustace, who purchased a large amount of land outside Boone, N.C., has been using his land to teach people how to live closer to nature. But now, thanks to government officials who don’t agree with his lifestyle, Eustace is being forced to fight for his way of life, and to keep his school open.
Like many of the stories we’ve covered over the last couple of years, Eustace is another in a long string of people who are being “zoned” out of existence. From the heartbreaking story of Andrew Wordes, who took his life after code enforcement teams seized his home, to the Off-Griders in California who are being illegally forced back on to the grid, what’s happening to Eustace seems to be a calculated attack on anyone who dares live a self-sufficient lifestyle.
It’s really sickening when you look into what’s really going on. We have government officials across our land who are threatening people, arresting them, and forcibly taking their land; and for what?
When did it become acceptable for the government to intimidate someone off their land? When did it become acceptable for the government to tell us how we can live on our own land? These aren’t people living in some urban area, where you might be able to make a case for zoning ordinances; these are people who live in rural areas of the country on large plots of land.
In the case of Eustace Conway, this is a man who lives on a large plot of rural land who isn’t doing anything to disturb anyone in anyway. Yet county officials have literally shut him down, and told him he can’t teach people how to live off the land unless he makes changes that would go against his way of life.
I missed it after reading 2X! Where is the FEDERAL government, let alone POTUS Obama, mentioned specifically?
Yup

Greeneville, TN

#3 Mar 5, 2013
Just another dumb-ass Obama hater trying to stir up the ignorant. If this person read or listened to the story, they would know that it was the local government. But since the post is a copy and paste, I don't think he actually read it.
Having said that, I am in full support of Eustace and what he is trying to teach. I believe those skills to be important. Facts are that Eustace didn't abide by the laws that the rest of us have to deal with when it comes to safety, hygein and building permits just to mention a few. Everyone wants the law when it supports their agenda but are against it when it doesn't. Unfortunatly, his story has been lumped together with others to add to the sensationalism of it all.
Copper Still

Greeneville, TN

#4 Mar 5, 2013
County officials, most likely Republicans shut him down.
Sister Fatima

Johnson City, TN

#5 Mar 5, 2013
The dwellings are not up to code. This has nothing to do with the feds or with his nature school. While I disagree with the decision to close Turtle Island, it has nothing to do with Obama.
Barry_is_a_Failu re

Greeneville, TN

#6 Mar 5, 2013
Obama is just upset because his hero, Hugo Chavez, went straight to he11 today.
devil fan

Greeneville, TN

#7 Mar 5, 2013
Yup wrote:
Just another dumb-ass Obama hater trying to stir up the ignorant. If this person read or listened to the story, they would know that it was the local government. But since the post is a copy and paste, I don't think he actually read it.
Having said that, I am in full support of Eustace and what he is trying to teach. I believe those skills to be important. Facts are that Eustace didn't abide by the laws that the rest of us have to deal with when it comes to safety, hygein and building permits just to mention a few. Everyone wants the law when it supports their agenda but are against it when it doesn't. Unfortunatly, his story has been lumped together with others to add to the sensationalism of it all.
FINALLY!!! SOMEONE ON TOPIX WITH A BRAIN!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
scrounger

Greeneville, TN

#8 Mar 6, 2013
Copper Still wrote:
In Boone NC?????? I doubt that.
tarheel

Johnson City, TN

#9 Mar 6, 2013
Copper Still wrote:
North Carolina is mostly a democratic state. Sickening.
devil fan

Greeneville, TN

#10 Mar 6, 2013
tarheel wrote:
<quoted text>
North Carolina is mostly a democratic state. Sickening.
Blue is a more pleasing color than red ya know...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anyone else think John Brown's music is tired a... (Sep '14) 31 min Taco time 57
Unemployment 46 min Fed up too 14
Gas tax increase 1 hr Dr Wu 18
Who is snitchin in Greenville & who is to watch... 5 hr Tennesseegirl423 38
megan simon (Mar '12) 8 hr TheBestFriend 9
How can we get a new steakhouse in town? (Jun '14) 8 hr Grandpa 12
Rio Odie (Scottie Greene) 10 hr wicked moon 39

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages