TDEC Officials Address Some Questions Raised

Apr 18, 2014 Full story: The Greenville Sun

BY MICHAEL S. RENEAU ASSISTANT MANAGING EDITOR At Thursday's public hearing on US Nitriogen's water permits at West Greene High School, several citizens who spoke raised concerns about both the level of chemicals that would be discharged back into the Nolichucky River and the water depth at the site where US Nitogen is proposing to withdraw and ... (more)

Full Story

“Read all about it!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#1 Apr 19, 2014
Personally, I don't know if it's a good idea or bad for US-N to come here.. However, I personally don't believe a damn thing any company says about chemicals or the environment.. they (not US-N, but others) have been proven to be liars over time. It is very scary to think of our water supply perhaps being compromised.. Maybe these folks NOW are honest and have no intention of harming the Nolichucky River, but what about down the road 10-15-20 years? New hands running it, equipment getting older and probably not as much hoopla or concern by then.. something to think about...I hope the county is getting some kind of guarantee about testing periodically and being able to shut the plant down if more chemicals are being put into the water. Somehow, just saying putting chemicals into the Nolichucky sounds terribly wrong to me.
Lonnie

Greeneville, TN

#2 Apr 19, 2014
FriendofDog wrote:
Personally, I don't know if it's a good idea or bad for US-N to come here.. However, I personally don't believe a damn thing any company says about chemicals or the environment.. they (not US-N, but others) have been proven to be liars over time. It is very scary to think of our water supply perhaps being compromised.. Maybe these folks NOW are honest and have no intention of harming the Nolichucky River, but what about down the road 10-15-20 years? New hands running it, equipment getting older and probably not as much hoopla or concern by then.. something to think about...I hope the county is getting some kind of guarantee about testing periodically and being able to shut the plant down if more chemicals are being put into the water. Somehow, just saying putting chemicals into the Nolichucky sounds terribly wrong to me.
Greeneville's water supply comes out of the Nolichucky at the end of Holley Creek Road at the River Plantation subdivision. The U.S. Nitrogen plant is way downstream from there. I would think that would affect Newport instead of Greeneville. Our problem would be pollutants dumped in the river upstream at Nuclear Fuels in Erwin, and the Ball Zinc plant here.

“Read all about it!”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3 Apr 19, 2014
Lonnie wrote:
<quoted text>Greeneville's water supply comes out of the Nolichucky at the end of Holley Creek Road at the River Plantation subdivision. The U.S. Nitrogen plant is way downstream from there. I would think that would affect Newport instead of Greeneville. Our problem would be pollutants dumped in the river upstream at Nuclear Fuels in Erwin, and the Ball Zinc plant here.
THanks.. I didn't know for sure where it was going in, but again, I just hate the sound of chemicals going into any way.. just sounds bad. We're already probably drinking bad crap out of the water anyway. lol So afraid I'm going to glow green one of these days..
Connie

Johnson City, TN

#4 May 1, 2014
Please sign the petition and share to stop the permits being issued by TDEC . TDEC has put another 30 day hold because of the 3000 who have signed this petition and the couple others floating around. Not to mention the letters that have been sent into TDEC... Help your community save the water and air ... Thank you
http://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/petiti...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Greeneville police: 2 infants found dead in ho... 10 min hang him 109
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 15 min Trunketeer 5,593
Merry Christmas from Mrs. Roberson! 16 min Trunketeer 6
Delfasco 30 min Jerry 11
Ice Rink Needed 48 min Dixie iron fist 4
wheel tax 1 hr cougarnut 123
casey holt at ghs (Aug '13) 3 hr Sarah 13
Principal at Mosheim 5 hr Auntie 60
Greeneville Snobs 14 hr Independent1 27
Why so paranoid? 18 hr Dixie iron fist 80