GOVERNMENT CHEESE made in GREENEVILLE

GOVERNMENT CHEESE made in GREENEVILLE

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

CLARKSmudhole

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Nov 4, 2013
Yes I hear some of it was made here . Our farmers help feed the poor and school children .
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#2 Nov 4, 2013
Hey this is Government Cheese speaking! Yes I remember government cheese, we had it, our friends had. We, as well as our friends were middle class families but everyone seem to have some in the refrigerator, no economic boundaries involved with the free cheese. It was just one of those weird little things in life that just happens and you were there for it. Kind of like Woodstock. Miss my Stretch Armstrong and government cheese. The seventies were great!

“I Believe ”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#3 Nov 5, 2013
#WhyDidPeopleGetFreeCheese?

#WasThatBeforeEBTCards?

#SoundsLikeAlotOfMacaroniAndPi zza
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#4 Nov 5, 2013
jamie smiles wrote:
#WhyDidPeopleGetFreeCheese?
#WasThatBeforeEBTCards?
#SoundsLikeAlotOfMacaroniAndPi zza
Again, I do not think it had to do with any kind of government assistance. Seems like the government for whatever reason gave out excess cheese they had procured. Could have been to help out the dairy industry. Maybe someone out there knows.

Since: Nov 13

United States

#5 Nov 5, 2013
Government Cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I do not think it had to do with any kind of government assistance. Seems like the government for whatever reason gave out excess cheese they had procured. Could have been to help out the dairy industry. Maybe someone out there knows.
Confucius say.....awwwww no.... I mean WIKI say:

Government cheese is processed cheese that was provided to welfare, food stamp recipients and the elderly receiving Social Security in the United States, from the 1960s through to the early 1990s.(The style of cheese predated the era, having been used in military kitchens since the Second World War and in schools since as early as the 1960s.)

History and impactEdit
The cheese was bought and stored by the government's Commodity Credit Corporation. Direct distribution of dairy products began in 1982 under the Temporary Emergency Food Assistance Program of the Food and Nutrition Service. According to the government, it "slices and melts well."[1] The cheese was provided monthly, in unsliced block form, with generic product labeling and packaging.

The cheese was often from food surpluses stockpiled by the government as part of milk price supports. Butter was also stockpiled and then provided under the same program. Some government cheese was made of kosher products.[2] This cheese product is also distributed to victims of a natural disaster following a State of Emergency declaration.

Currently, the USDA provides a subsidized food program for specific classes of foods in the United States known as the Women, Infants and Children program, as well as other programs such as The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP).

In the United States the term has been used, sometimes derisively, to describe government assistance, monetary or otherwise, given to some U.S. residents; for example, a person receiving such aid could be said to "live on Government Cheese."
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#6 Nov 5, 2013
Kind of what I thought; milk price supports. I do know that the cheese predates 1982 as I remember it in the early 70s.
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#7 Nov 5, 2013
Confused Confucius wrote:
<quoted text>
Confucius say.....awwwww no.... I mean WIKI say:
Government cheese is processed cheese that was provided to welfare, food stamp recipients and the elderly receiving Social Security in the United States, from the 1960s through to the early 1990s.(The style of cheese predated the era, having been used in military kitchens since the Second World War and in schools since as early as the 1960s.)
History and impactEdit
The cheese was bought and stored by the government's Commodity Credit Corporation. Direct distribution of dairy products began in 1982 under the Temporary Emergency Food Assistance Program of the Food and Nutrition Service. According to the government, it "slices and melts well."[1] The cheese was provided monthly, in unsliced block form, with generic product labeling and packaging.
The cheese was often from food surpluses stockpiled by the government as part of milk price supports. Butter was also stockpiled and then provided under the same program. Some government cheese was made of kosher products.[2] This cheese product is also distributed to victims of a natural disaster following a State of Emergency declaration.
Currently, the USDA provides a subsidized food program for specific classes of foods in the United States known as the Women, Infants and Children program, as well as other programs such as The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP).
In the United States the term has been used, sometimes derisively, to describe government assistance, monetary or otherwise, given to some U.S. residents; for example, a person receiving such aid could be said to "live on Government Cheese."
By the way I like when you cut and paste, I actually understood something you posted.

“You gotta stand for something”

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#8 Nov 5, 2013
Government Cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember my Mamow getting the "government cheese" when I was little. It made the best grilled cheese sandwitches ever!:) I clicked over here because I thought somebody was picking at you. Lol! Have a good day!

United States

#9 Nov 5, 2013
Government Cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way I like when you cut and paste, I actually understood something you posted.
Confucius say Tank u! U weed my post out loud & they make more sense ;)

HOWEVVA, peeples round u mite tink u KWAZY! LMAO
Government Cheese

Greeneville, TN

#10 Nov 5, 2013
Thanks I'll try that, I was not making fun of your posts, I am just not used to moving my lips when I read to myself.

United States

#11 Nov 5, 2013
Government Cheese wrote:
Thanks I'll try that, I was not making fun of your posts, I am just not used to moving my lips when I read to myself.
Confucius say NO PWABWEM!

“I Believe ”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#12 Nov 5, 2013
#ThanksThatsJustALittleHistory LessonOnCheese
#DoesItResembleVelveeta?

United States

#13 Nov 5, 2013
Government Cheese wrote:
Confucius say u wigga hippz back n foth when u wead my posts & u get vawuba exacize & pwactice fo nighttime mattwess dancin ;)

I no chawge u fo advice. We fwinds cheese eata!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Another thread deleted.. 17 min my opinion 9
no 20 min BellaRosaLinda 156
CLAYMAN, CHRISTOPHER MARK (C&L Plumbing) 42 min Justsoyouknow 8
Another Florida nightclub shooting 1 hr BellaRosaLinda 14
***** last post wins ***** (Oct '14) 2 hr BellaRosaLinda 2,293
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 2 hr BellaRosaLinda 10,030
Busted newspaper on-line... 2 hr Dr Wu 6
BUSTED at the Hype! 7 hr Duh 14

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Greeneville Mortgages