First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 11

Greeneville TN

#30 Sep 27, 2013
Gazinga wrote:
<quoted text>Easy, as for the number of Christian Churches, just drive around the county and look at them, some are very beautiful country churches, the ones I have attended. Others are in the city, tall structures with tall steeples overshadowing the whole architecture of the town. Schools were intended to teach every child in America a basic education, a scientific, independent education, not a Religious education, because Religion is for the parents and the churches to teach and has much variety and ambiguity. In Greene County it is easy to see how Religion dominates the schools, just listen to the teachers and principals and school board members and the students. This is ok, not legal, but ok, because Greene County is a small community and in the course of world events the ignorance of Greene County students based on the influction of Religion into general education over pure science and theories, is not going to cause much disturbance. As Thomas Paine once said as long as Religion is teaching man to be good to man then it is good, it is when it tries to do other things that it becomes bad and evil.
An observation of the multitude of church buildings that exist in the Bible belt is not scientific evidence that the Christian faithful are trying to “stamp out” other religions. Nor is the fact that some students choose, of their own accord and not through coercion, threat, or promise of reward, to exercise their freedom of religious expression by gathering in prayer. Neither of these two scenarios indicate in any way that the Christian faith wants to “deny the minds of the youth the right to scientific theories”. These students are enrolled in schools that adhere to state sanctioned curriculum, including science. In fact, it stands to reason that parents and churches have quite successfully instilled morality and Christian ethics in these fine young people. Half the people on this very thread argue that there were so very few students present as to be “un-newsworthy”, and you are touting some huge organized right wing Christian conspiracy theory. That they gathered out of love and concern for their school and their fellow students, is the very definition of the philosophy of Jesus Christ. Therefore, your assertion that Christian religion is a “political, dictatorial religion totally out of touch with the philosophy of Jesus Christ its founder” has no basis in scientifically proven fact, merely your own personal perspective, and has thus been rendered unfounded and invalid.
DeafNDumb

Greeneville, TN

#32 Sep 27, 2013
Gazinga wrote:
<quoted text>Where is your scientific proof Adam and Eve are the father and mother of mankind? Where is your proof of the virgin birth? Where is your Noah's Ark and the proof all mankind except the ones on the ark were erased? Where is your proof of water to wine and walking on the water? I do not think you want to get into a scientific argument about religious events. From Geology to Biology to Chemistry to Physics to Mathematics, it is science which tells a student how to find reality. Religion, not so much.
Gazinga you might as well go argue with a rock and you will get about as far. These people are always right and know everything there is to know and what they don't know they say is in the bible somewhere
funny

Greeneville, TN

#33 Sep 27, 2013
you might want to check out the pics from the SGHS/WGHS game from tonight.Way more than a few kids praying in the middle of the field.More like all of both teams.Now hate some more.
One of the DeafNDumb

Greeneville, TN

#34 Sep 28, 2013
Gazinga and DeafNDumb,

I apologize if this post is basically a repeat, but I waited a pretty good while and didn't see my first post. Anyway I am here to give you my thoughts and I ask that you impart your scientific knowledge on this poor dumb redneck. I can't prove Adam and Eve. With that stated religion is faith based not scientific. Meaning that it takes faith. Now I have some questions for you two about science. If God did not create the universe and everything else, where did it come from? What is the scientific proof (on this question just for amusement I will even take a hypothesis) that something came out of nothing? I don't want to hear about stars, planets, or gasses I want to know how nothing became something, scientifically proven of course. This particular question is really baffling, because according to scientific law, conservation of energy, energy can neither be created or destroyed. So where did it come from, scientifically speaking of course, if it can not be created or destroyed? I know you all will tell me science hasn't figured that out yet. So I will move on to my next question because this deals with "scientific fact" among the educated like yourselves. I will go ahead and assume that both of you believe evolution is how man came to be and that all life on Earth has the same evolutionary ancestors. Where is the proof? This is of course science and you are deemed uneducated if you question it. I will go ahead and give to you that they do have some sketchy evidence that evolution has occurred. They have instances where they semi-observed a fish that became another (you should probably sit down for this) fish. They have other examples of birds becoming birds and shrimp becoming shrimp, I could go on and on. For some reason I am not feeling real impressed. So what is their evidence that fish became birds or reptiles or whatever? Well they found fossils of two completely different animals that had similar bone structures and DNA. Okay two completely different animals have similar DNA and bone structures. This is not really scientific proof. Well according to the people depending on multi-million dollar grants, scientist I will call them, this is all the proof of evolution we need. If you point out to them that PROVING something through the scientific method requires actually require observing it. They will tell you that it is impossible to observe because it takes thousands or even million of years. They say that they are scientist and that they all agree so this makes it fact and you should not question them. That doesn't sound like science to me. So here is my last question to you two. Is evolution, meaning that we all evolved from amoebas or whatever, not based on faith in scientists receiving multi-million dollar grants?
Planned

United States

#35 Sep 28, 2013
MystDefy wrote:
<quoted text>Matthew 28:19-20
"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."
It doesn't matter how many students, teachers, or parents were there. There was spontaneous prayer in school at SGHS Tuesday morning. And God was in their midst.
SYATP is not a spontaneous prayer. It is always planned well in advance and is held at the same time each year. And BTW, my God is always in my midst.
Planned

United States

#36 Sep 28, 2013
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>It is the people who doubt their faith who have to have their prayer circles and their rants against schools and their hammers to beat over other peoples' heads. The True Believer knows and no matter what is taught in the schools is at home with knowledge. The sinners condemn knowledge for they are afraid it will show them for what they are. It is not prayer which is needed at South Greene but an understanding of why this one person felt violence was the only answer to his problem. Understand that and you might get somewhere, prayer will get you nowhere, God does not do your work for you, if God did, then there would be no need for you.
Good points - that most will not comprehend.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#37 Sep 28, 2013
True Believer wrote:
<quoted text>It is the people who doubt their faith who have to have their prayer circles and their rants against schools and their hammers to beat over other peoples' heads. The True Believer knows and no matter what is taught in the schools is at home with knowledge. The sinners condemn knowledge for they are afraid it will show them for what they are. It is not prayer which is needed at South Greene but an understanding of why this one person felt violence was the only answer to his problem. Understand that and you might get somewhere, prayer will get you nowhere, God does not do your work for you, if God did, then there would be no need for you.
Well said.

Location hidden

#38 Sep 28, 2013
One of the DeafNDumb wrote:
Gazinga and DeafNDumb,
I apologize if this post is basically a repeat, but I waited a pretty good while and didn't see my first post.
I edited it for page length sake. I read the entire post and you do have a valid point or two. I am a creation evolutionist, though. That means I have faith, but do not see everything being made as it is in an instant.

It would benefit you, I think, to check recent findings and studies on the history of Earth. At the very least, it would help you disprove the scientific "evidence". Thanks for the read, have a nice day.
what world are u n

Greeneville, TN

#39 Sep 28, 2013
Gazinga wrote:
<quoted text>Easy, as for the number of Christian Churches, just drive around the county and look at them, some are very beautiful country churches, the ones I have attended. Others are in the city, tall structures with tall steeples overshadowing the whole architecture of the town. Schools were intended to teach every child in America a basic education, a scientific, independent education, not a Religious education, because Religion is for the parents and the churches to teach and has much variety and ambiguity. In Greene County it is easy to see how Religion dominates the schools, just listen to the teachers and principals and school board members and the students. This is ok, not legal, but ok, because Greene County is a small community and in the course of world events the ignorance of Greene County students based on the influction of Religion into general education over pure science and theories, is not going to cause much disturbance. As Thomas Paine once said as long as Religion is teaching man to be good to man then it is good, it is when it tries to do other things that it becomes bad and evil.
please tell me how religion is running greene county schools? I am a teacher and a Christian and I have NO IDEA what you could even remotely be referring to!
Observer

Johnson City, TN

#40 Sep 29, 2013
what world are u n wrote:
<quoted text>
please tell me how religion is running greene county schools? I am a teacher and a Christian and I have NO IDEA what you could even remotely be referring to!
Where to start....
students in county schools are pulled from classes monthly to participate in religious sing-alongs at the elementary level, mandatory participation
athletes on the football field are made to get down on one knee to pray before, during and after games. They can't be forced to pray, but are forced to assume the position and fake it
high school students are exposed to the idea of evolution, but not taught much about it and are not tested on it at all
the world history class my child took in high school was actually the history of the Christian religion in the world and tested as such...the teacher actually bragged to parents on orientation night that she would convert as many as she could
many selections of secular music are not played in the classroom so as not to offend the sensitivities of Christians (i.e. Imagine by John Lennon) but Christian music is played without hesitation without any consideration for the sensitivities of other religions
teachers routinely refer to their own religious beliefs, use examples from the bible and encourage their students to pray to God about social issues and misbehaviors
and I could go on, but my point is made.
These examples are not okay. Our public schools are for believers of any religion and those who have no religion. Students who do not profess their Christianity in a public way in this county are ostracized by staff, parents and other students. Their is only religious tolerance for Christians by Christians.
I am not religious. I am moral and ethical. My children are well behaved. School staff and administrators assume we are Christians...and they sometimes make the most inappropriate, critical comments about students based solely on whether their family attends church. It is wrong, but it is prevalent in Greene County schools.
South Greene Resident

Johnson City, TN

#41 Sep 29, 2013
Sun Suscriber wrote:
Has anyone noticed that ever year the Greeneville Sun puts a picture on the front page above the fold of one of these events with a big headline and there is almost nobody there. This year the picture is of the South Greene event and there may be 15 to 20 people in the picture out of a school of almost 500 students, that is less than 5% of the school population. Talk about a nothing news event and yet there it is front and center. It is utter manipulation trying to force people to believe something that is not there. Since these events are voluntary and not mandatory they are a true test of the state of Religion in America among young teenagers. The question is and what the headline should read is are these absent teenagers against Religion or are they against school officials who are trying to cram Religion down their throat?
While the photo may attest to the state of religion among young people, I don't think religion had anything to do with Sun's decision to put this picture on the front page. I drove past the event while dropping my child off for school and there were more than just 20 people there, some staff and parents included. I don't think the Sun is trying to make commentary on religion in Greene County, but trying to capitalize on the stabbing story. The stabbing involved minors which ties the newspaper's hands when it comes to reporting. The flag pole event is a non-story, but was the only way the newspaper could entice would-be readers into thinking they had something new to say on the issue.

Location hidden

#42 Sep 29, 2013
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Where to start....
students in county schools are pulled from classes monthly to participate in religious sing-alongs at the elementary level, mandatory participation
athletes on the football field are made to get down on one knee to pray before, during and after games. They can't be forced to pray, but are forced to assume the position and fake it
high school students are exposed to the idea of evolution, but not taught much about it and are not tested on it at all
the world history class my child took in high school was actually the history of the Christian religion in the world and tested as such...the teacher actually bragged to parents on orientation night that she would convert as many as she could
many selections of secular music are not played in the classroom so as not to offend the sensitivities of Christians (i.e. Imagine by John Lennon) but Christian music is played without hesitation without any consideration for the sensitivities of other religions
teachers routinely refer to their own religious beliefs, use examples from the bible and encourage their students to pray to God about social issues and misbehaviors
and I could go on, but my point is made.
These examples are not okay. Our public schools are for believers of any religion and those who have no religion. Students who do not profess their Christianity in a public way in this county are ostracized by staff, parents and other students. Their is only religious tolerance for Christians by Christians.
I am not religious. I am moral and ethical. My children are well behaved. School staff and administrators assume we are Christians...and they sometimes make the most inappropriate, critical comments about students based solely on whether their family attends church. It is wrong, but it is prevalent in Greene County schools.
Great post! It seems there needs to be a physical appearance of your thoughts, there is more support you than you might be aware of. Children miss out on valuable knowledge with an abundance of personal beliefs in place.
DeafNDumb

Greeneville, TN

#43 Sep 29, 2013
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
School staff and administrators assume we are Christians...and they sometimes make the most inappropriate, critical comments about students based solely on whether their family attends church. It is wrong, but it is prevalent in Greene County schools.
I have witnessed this on many occasions myself.

It is kind of a "ohh look it is THOSE people you know the ones who do not attend church? No wonder their little Janie is a Bad Kid in school."
rabid robot

Bogotá, Colombia

#44 Sep 29, 2013
Schools are created for education. Churches are created for religious worship. Supermarkets are created for selling food. To which it was created, so let it be. (:
Cat turd

Asheville, NC

#46 Sep 30, 2013
rabid robot wrote:
Schools are created for education. Churches are created for religious worship. Supermarkets are created for selling food. To which it was created, so let it be.(:
And you were created to be rediculed and slapped in no particular order.
rabid robot

Medellín, Colombia

#47 Sep 30, 2013
Cat turd wrote:
<quoted text>And you were created to be rediculed and slapped in no particular order.
foda vocę dimwit e ridicularizaçăo está escrito errado. Analfabeta.
Cat turd

Asheville, NC

#48 Sep 30, 2013
Mi Atyánk, aki a mennyekben vagy,
szenteltessék meg a Te neved,
jöjjön el a Te országod,
legyen meg a Te akaratod
amint a mennyben,úgy a földön is.
Mindennapi kenyerünket add meg nekünk ma,
és bocsásd meg vétkeinket,
miképpen mi is megbocsátunk az ellenünk vétkezőknek,
és ne vígy minket kísértésbe,
de szabadíts meg a gonosztól.
Ámen
Amen

United States

#49 Sep 30, 2013
rabid robot wrote:
Schools are created for education. Churches are created for religious worship. Supermarkets are created for selling food. To which it was created, so let it be.(:
I like the gospel of rabid robot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
***** last post wins ***** 3 min Jessie Hope 68
get rid of Robert Sayne 16 min wtf 77
to u 21 min mom 13
Body found in Greeneville creek 45 min zdab15 11
Scintillaire Restaurant 1 hr Dr Wu 40
greeneville sun 1 hr phil simms 10
greeneville sun sports page 1 hr Dr Wu 3
Mayor Daniels tries to pull Fast one 1 hr jock itch 13
lawsuit against county schools 7 hr question 12
Greene County Schools 16 hr willard 117