Should state mandate immunizations? New requirements effective in July

May 4, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chattanoogan.com

Immunizations are one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to protect children against childhood diseases and Tennessee law requires documented immunizations.

Comments
6,601 - 6,620 of 9,315 Comments Last updated Thursday
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7205 Apr 14, 2013
Death in a syringe wrote:
Monsanto, DuPont, Dole, and a host of other readily recognizable corporations have been pumping chemicals, GMO's, and toxins into our environment for decades. In California this past year a proposition to add to food labels whether the food inside was from organic or GMO stock was opposed by many of the major food corporations averaging over $1 Million per day spent to defeat that proposition. Why?

I've observed that the number of people who actually care in a community will be reflected in the courtesy shown on the roads of that community. There was a time when East Tennessee had the most courteous drivers of anywhere I've been. Not anymore.
YiSH

Grayson, KY

#7206 Apr 14, 2013
they should not
ShockedParent

Orland Park, IL

#7208 Apr 15, 2013
I first want to say my 3 children get all there shots on time. With that being said I do not think shots should be mandated! Who has any right to say what my children should have. I know there are parents out there who don't care about there kids but I do. I don't want anyone telling me what they are going to mandate me to physically have done to my children. How does any parent know that what they say a new shot is or is what it's actually for? It could be any manner of things. Not long ago some serums were recalled due to something being wrong with them. I do choose to get my children vaccinated but that doesn't mean I have the right to say hey your kid needs to be vaccinated cause that's what I do with mine. I didn't birth your children. I have no right to say what you do with them unless I suspect abuse/neglect which is a completely different subject. I am just appalled as to the things that are happening. How far will we let the Government go in taking our rights away and telling us how to live!!!?
this is stupid

United States

#7209 Apr 16, 2013
Ok
what about

Maryville, TN

#7210 Apr 16, 2013
this ?!
Steve 2

United States

#7211 Apr 16, 2013
I thought the government worked for us. Since when does the government force their agenda down our throats and we just swallow it hook line and sinker. Why should I give my kid and HPV vac? If my kid is not having sex why push it?
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7212 Apr 17, 2013
Steve 2 wrote:
I thought the government worked for us. Since when does the government force their agenda down our throats and we just swallow it hook line and sinker. Why should I give my kid and HPV vac? If my kid is not having sex why push it?
Same government that used LSD on citizens for Mind Control experiments? Same government that faked the Gulf of Tonkin incident to start the War in Vietnam? Same government that attacked a church in Waco, Texas with FBI and BATF agents, and finally burned them out and used snipers to murder those who tried to escape the fire? Is this the government that is supposed to be working for us? The same one that for 4 years has been telling us we're in an economic recovery?

Not judging, just clarifying and observing.
see all

Greeneville, TN

#7213 Apr 17, 2013
I was pretty much to take all 3 hpv vacs. Later on I found out that the vaccinations for hpv have been known to kill. Yay for me..
Jus Wanderin

Morristown, TN

#7215 Apr 19, 2013
They they still deny that autism symptoms are linked to the vacinations ? The links ARE there and way TOO many links at that
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7216 Apr 22, 2013
Jus Wanderin wrote:
They they still deny that autism symptoms are linked to the vacinations ? The links ARE there and way TOO many links at that
Look at the money poured into defeating a proposition in California that would require any foods that contain GMO to be labeled accordingly. The proposition was defeated, but don't you just gotta wonder why over a Million Dollars per day was spent to defeat it? The list of food companies is very interesting too. Think Monsanto and Con-Agra companies.
gossipin

United States

#7217 Apr 22, 2013
No

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

#7222 Apr 22, 2013
Jus Wanderin wrote:
Not true.

All claims of a link between vaccines and autism stem back to ONE MAN - Wakefield, who was trying to replace the existing MMR vaccine with one he designed.

His study was fraudulent.

The rates of autism among the vaccinated is the same as the rates among the unvaccinated.

No link.

Valley Village, CA

#7223 Apr 22, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Look at the money poured into defeating a proposition in California that would require any foods that contain GMO to be labeled accordingly. The proposition was defeated, but don't you just gotta wonder why over a Million Dollars per day was spent to defeat it? The list of food companies is very interesting too. Think Monsanto and Con-Agra companies.
The prop in California was worded very poorly and extremely confusing. Not all foods were required to be labelled, and the foods which were required vs weren't was extremely arbitrary.

Dog food must be labelled. Milk for human consumption - no.

Very strange.

If someone were to put together a more simple criteria like: If its is meant for human consumption and contains any GMO product or byproduct is should carry this symbol.

That sort of a measure would pass.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7224 Apr 23, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
The prop in California was worded very poorly and extremely confusing. Not all foods were required to be labelled, and the foods which were required vs weren't was extremely arbitrary.
Dog food must be labelled. Milk for human consumption - no.
Very strange.
If someone were to put together a more simple criteria like: If its is meant for human consumption and contains any GMO product or byproduct is should carry this symbol.
That sort of a measure would pass.
All the info I had was through the news, but never found a link to the Proposition itself. Perhaps you could post a link here so those interested could read it for themselves?

I'm not convinced that food grown from gene-spliced seed is safe. Splice fish genes in with tomatoes and the insects can't find the tomatoes, but what effect inside the human body?

And, if it was worded so badly, why were major food companies fighting it so hard? Was Betty Crocker afraid the dogs might not eat Alpo?

Valley Village, CA

#7225 Apr 23, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
All the info I had was through the news, but never found a link to the Proposition itself. Perhaps you could post a link here so those interested could read it for themselves?
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Text_of...
I'm not convinced that food grown from gene-spliced seed is safe. Splice fish genes in with tomatoes and the insects can't find the tomatoes, but what effect inside the human body?
While I agree that some of what Monsanto is doing is having negative effects on bee populations, etc. it's worth keeping in mind that you aren't injecting this stuff into your blood stream.

You're chewing it up and eating it.

A fish protein, whether from a fish or from a tomato, is still just a protein. When it hits the stomach acid it behaves like the same protein regardless of the source.

However, I do agree that splicing in something that we never eat requires a much higher degree of testing than splicing two types of food together.
And, if it was worded so badly, why were major food companies fighting it so hard? Was Betty Crocker afraid the dogs might not eat Alpo?
Because a badly worded initiative can easily cause massive costs to companies.

For example, if we pass a law that says egg producing farms needs to give each chicken 3 sq feet of space (btw I have NO IDEA how much space a chicken has, I'm just guessing) but they currently have only 2sq ft, the farmer is looking at redoing ALL 10,000 cages _and_ slaughtering a couple thousand chickens to fit the new criteria.

But, in the end, are the chickens better off? Do chickens prefer more space? Or do they like to cluster together for security?

California's initiative process assumes that the voter knows something about the topic which is almost NEVER the case. It condenses down 10-15 page documents into 2-3 sentences and expects someone who has never even heard about it to make a wise decision in the voting booth.
No More

Chatsworth, GA

#7226 Apr 23, 2013
Do you all want small pox, the plague, polio, whooping cough, and a whole host of other things that have been eradicated to come back. Food additive's are probably more responsible for autism. And diet in general. During the fifties women drank, smoked while preg. and then we got every new shoot in the world and autism was not going crazy then.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7227 Apr 23, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Text_of...
<quoted text>
While I agree that some of what Monsanto is doing is having negative effects on bee populations, etc. it's worth keeping in mind that you aren't injecting this stuff into your blood stream.
You're chewing it up and eating it.
A fish protein, whether from a fish or from a tomato, is still just a protein. When it hits the stomach acid it behaves like the same protein regardless of the source.
However, I do agree that splicing in something that we never eat requires a much higher degree of testing than splicing two types of food together.
<quoted text>
Because a badly worded initiative can easily cause massive costs to companies.
For example, if we pass a law that says egg producing farms needs to give each chicken 3 sq feet of space (btw I have NO IDEA how much space a chicken has, I'm just guessing) but they currently have only 2sq ft, the farmer is looking at redoing ALL 10,000 cages _and_ slaughtering a couple thousand chickens to fit the new criteria.
But, in the end, are the chickens better off? Do chickens prefer more space? Or do they like to cluster together for security?
California's initiative process assumes that the voter knows something about the topic which is almost NEVER the case. It condenses down 10-15 page documents into 2-3 sentences and expects someone who has never even heard about it to make a wise decision in the voting booth.
Thanks, when I get a chance I'll read it.

Maybe it does act the same in the digestion process, maybe it doesn't. I guess it would depend on what they spliced together. Too many questions here, but something else has come to mind just now. What if they're splicing .... pork DNA into corn? Some religions, and those who follow dietary restrictions of those certain religions, might consider GMO foods as questionable, so labeling would be necessary.

Anyway, on the whole I see your points and agree with many. It is sad that the typical US citizen has allowed him/herself to become so apathetic and ignorant in these matters.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#7228 Apr 23, 2013
(a) California consumers have the right to know whether the foods they purchase were produced using genetic engineering. Genetic engineering of plants and animals often causes unintended consequences. Manipulating genes and inserting them into organisms is an imprecise process. The results are not always predictable or controllable, and they can lead to adverse health or environmental consequences.

First paragraph I read.

Valley Village, CA

#7229 Apr 23, 2013
No More wrote:
Do you all want small pox, the plague, polio, whooping cough, and a whole host of other things that have been eradicated to come back. Food additive's are probably more responsible for autism. And diet in general. During the fifties women drank, smoked while preg. and then we got every new shoot in the world and autism was not going crazy then.
The real cause is this:

During the 50s, autism referred to a very small group of behaviors.

Today, the "autism spectrum" has a much wider range.

Basically, people who were "retarded" in the 50s would be called "autistic" today.

They redefined the categories and "suddenly" people became autistic.

Just like in 1776, lots of people "became" Americans all of the sudden even though there were no Americans in 1775.

Valley Village, CA

#7230 Apr 23, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, when I get a chance I'll read it.
Maybe it does act the same in the digestion process, maybe it doesn't. I guess it would depend on what they spliced together. Too many questions here, but something else has come to mind just now. What if they're splicing .... pork DNA into corn? Some religions, and those who follow dietary restrictions of those certain religions, might consider GMO foods as questionable, so labeling would be necessary.
That is true, however it's also extremely arbitrary on the part of the religious.

If I started a religion that forbid the eating of grain harvested by someone left handed, would that require labeling?

Where does that end?
Anyway, on the whole I see your points and agree with many. It is sad that the typical US citizen has allowed him/herself to become so apathetic and ignorant in these matters.
It doesn't help that the information is not easily available. You yourself couldn't find the text of the prop.

Most CA voters don't know what the props are until the actually show up to vote. There's usually one or two that get a lot of press, but then theres 6-8 more no one discusses

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 2 hr Mississippi gurl 145,868
Cody Freshour 3 hr TigGrrr 1
Michael Brobeck (Sep '11) 3 hr mee 99
pos men in greeneville 3 hr Tigger 3
buck garland 3 hr Tigger 7
Greeneville football 3 hr Good luck Greene ... 3
Escalation of the conflict in Eastern Ukraine i... 3 hr Kohlrabi 3
south greene football 5 hr dree 38
old men at greystone dump 5 hr garbage goat 15
Davis Street 7 hr Dr Wu 32
twested scissors 10 hr info 15
•••
•••