Should state mandate immunizations? New requirements effective in July

May 4, 2011 Full story: Chattanoogan.com 9,435

Immunizations are one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to protect children against childhood diseases and Tennessee law requires documented immunizations.

Full Story
mom

Mcminnville, TN

#6847 Jan 12, 2013
Sweet Potato wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a lot of misinformation in your sentence.
The doctor you refer to found no relationship between the symptoms of the children in his study and MMR. Apparently you did not read the study.
ONE OF THE RESEARCHERS OF THE DANISH STUDY that everyone quotes misused funds and has been discredited - Paul Thorson is a fraud and so is his study.
You are right about Thorson. Just one small detail. Thorson's name is on 21 of 23 studies that the CDC loves to cite.

John Walker Smith, the lead author in the Wakefield study has been exonerated of ALL WRONG DOING, and by-proxy, so has Wakefield.

The vaccine/autism link has been upheld.

http://www.ebcala.org/areas-of-law/vaccine-la...
Scooter

Jackson, TN

#6848 Jan 12, 2013
Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Which give rise to the question, "Is Education a Right, or Privilege?", which would be somewhat off topic, but following the same concept. Oh what a tempting subject that would be. LOL
I'm convinced that most people would agree that the final decision should rest with the parents, but the government seems to have a different opinion. Let me tell you {and anyone else reading} a little story from about 30 years ago.
I was out doing service calls in Ft. Worth, TX one afternoon. My next call was at a church {I can't recall the name of the church, but they were talking about changing the name to "The Church at Philadelphia" or something to that effect}. When I drove up to the church there was a police barricade around the whole complex. To say the least, I couldn't believe my eyes, so I pulled up to the policeman standing in the road and asked what was going on. He didn't really seem to know much more than I did about why he was there, but let me inside to do my work, as I was driving a Ram-50 pickup.
I found the man who'd called for service and as I worked he explained what the police were doing barricading the church. He told me that they were there to take any and all children from the church compound because they refused to have their teachers licensed by the state. I asked if the kids were behind in their subjects {thinking this was a punitive thing} and he told me that when the children came to the church school they were trouble-makers, and generally they were doing work far below their grade level, but those who had been there for two years or more were all doing work two or three grades above where the state said they should be. He also told me that they were tested every 6 or 9 weeks {sorry, this is 30 years ago, so memory does fade over time} to ensure they were "up to snuff".
Later that same week the Attorney General of Texas was on the News and said that all those children were wards of the state, and made it clear that the state had ultimate parental "ownership" of them. When the reporter asked him to explain his rationale, he merely said that each of them had a Birth Certificate, and that gave the state complete authority over them.
==========
I can understand if you're skeptical, if I hadn't seen it for myself I would be too. I served in the US Navy and took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the united States from all enemies, foreign and domestic, but until that point I never really thought the domestic part would ever apply. Since then I've acquired a very healthy skepticism of those who try to exercise authority over anyone, especially me and my family. Some might call it disrespect, but my respect has to be earned, as does my trust, and the government has yet to do that. Look closely at how the Constitution has been treated by the past 4 Presidents and I think you'll see what I mean.
A free education is supposed to be a right. Isnít it the only right that is mandated? If your parents donít send you to school they get fined and/or put in jail. Itís a shame that laws like that had to be passed, but there are a lot of parents who wouldnít make sure their children made it school without them. Besides that, the federal government and the state set the criteria for what our children are taught in school. Some opinions are that the government agenda is to dumb down our society by implementing teaching techniques that arenít as effective as techniques used say 50 years ago. You know, back when people were getting diseases that vaccines prevent today.
Swamp rat

New York, NY

#6849 Jan 12, 2013
Did you get your shots?
danielle

Thibodaux, LA

#6850 Jan 12, 2013
[]
at lest you know what is coming !
Lemon Drop

Seattle, WA

#6851 Jan 12, 2013
danielle wrote:
[]
at lest you know what is coming !
And just what would that be?
Stay Well

Johnson City, TN

#6852 Jan 13, 2013
CDC says a really bad and early flu season this year. I hear on TV news everyday urging us to get the flu shot.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

#6853 Jan 14, 2013
Scooter wrote:
<quoted text>A free education is supposed to be a right. Isnít it the only right that is mandated? If your parents donít send you to school they get fined and/or put in jail. Itís a shame that laws like that had to be passed, but there are a lot of parents who wouldnít make sure their children made it school without them. Besides that, the federal government and the state set the criteria for what our children are taught in school. Some opinions are that the government agenda is to dumb down our society by implementing teaching techniques that arenít as effective as techniques used say 50 years ago. You know, back when people were getting diseases that vaccines prevent today.
Education is not a right, and a "free" education doesn't exist. The person not paying may believe it is free, but those who do pay know better.

Look at the elements of your post and ask yourself just what it is children are being taught, and how. Are they capable of questioning the actions of the State, or are they deprived of those tools so they must settle for a subservient existence? If the latter, is not the surrender of parental rights to the State a furtherance of that "education"?
Big Bang Theory

Duluth, GA

#6855 Jan 15, 2013
Of course immunizations are safe and protect us from horrible diseases.
How

Waynesboro, TN

#6856 Jan 15, 2013
How sad
Anonymous

Johnson City, TN

#6857 Jan 15, 2013
Hmmmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
My sons pediatrician has a sigh up in their office that effective April 1, 2011, the will not accept patient who do not get immunizations.
good for them. unless the child has allergies to a particular vaccine they "should" get them. it will save way more than it could ever hurt. the parents do have to decide but for me it was an easy decision
Less Government

Cleveland, TN

#6858 Jan 15, 2013
No the government should not mandate this. The shots are offered and are there to use. It is called choice and that is what makes America, different. If the government mandates this then those of us who actually pay for everything else the government does, would have to pay for a new program. If the parents dont want to give there children shots then leave them at home. As a parent with children at school, I think the parent's should be mandated to keep children at home when they are sick and should be fined if they send there children to school when they are sick.
KnightLord

Oak Ridge, TN

#6859 Jan 17, 2013
sindie wrote:
<quoted text>Education is a HUMAN right. Recognized by the UN and many of its members .
If "Education" were a right then perhaps you could explain to me why so few can spell, form a complete {must less cogent} sentence, punctuate, or have any clue about history or the exercise of critical thinking. Now, once we're through talking about the teachers maybe we can discuss the students.
JN Rockefeller

Milan, TN

#6860 Jan 17, 2013
sindie wrote:
<quoted text>Education is a HUMAN right. Recognized by the UN and many of its members .
The United Nations is nothing but a bunch of dithering buffoons. Having said that, the Constitution of the U ited States is the law of our land. I do not give a fig what the UN says. As far as I'm concerned it should be bulldosed and pushed into the Ocean and it's occupants given 30 days to leave the US.

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6861 Jan 17, 2013
KnightLord wrote:
<quoted text>
If "Education" were a right then perhaps you could explain to me why so few can spell, form a complete {must less cogent} sentence, punctuate, or have any clue about history or the exercise of critical thinking. Now, once we're through talking about the teachers maybe we can discuss the students.
^^^^^^^^..what were you saying about the lack of a good Education? Check out the Post above this one, if you need a Prime Example to make your point...especially the spelling!:)
lol

Jackson, TN

#6862 Jan 17, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
^^^^^^^^..what were you saying about the lack of a good Education? Check out the Post above this one, if you need a Prime Example to make your point...especially the spelling!:)
STFU slut,you old azz skank, no one give a sh*t about your dumbazz or if you die. The age you are i cant believe you havent old nasty biotch
Yo Mama Obama

United States

#6863 Jan 17, 2013
The CDC won't have much time to worry about any diseases now other than firearm deaths and I expect them to develop a vaccine very soon.When I issue an Executive order I expect the problem to be solved quickly.Once the CDC develops this vaccine guns will be rendered useless and peace and love shall rule the planet.

Praise Allah (actually I plan to rule the planet)

Since: Oct 11

Location hidden

#6864 Jan 17, 2013
Yo Mama Obama wrote:
The CDC won't have much time to worry about any diseases now other than firearm deaths and I expect them to develop a vaccine very soon.When I issue an Executive order I expect the problem to be solved quickly.Once the CDC develops this vaccine guns will be rendered useless and peace and love shall rule the planet.
Praise Allah (actually I plan to rule the planet)
Hey Yo...did you volunteer for the Test Trial on those vaccines?'Cause Man, you're having hallucinations, talking about, you're gonna rule the Planet...Man, you couldn't rule two Cats in a huddle! Crazy fool!:)
American Lady

Danville, KY

#6865 Jan 17, 2013
KEEP your Guns ...
You're gonna NEED them!

AGENDA: Grinding America Down (Full Movie) FREE to watch for a limited time.

http://vimeo.com/52009124

Communists "infiltrating" American Institutions ...
Geeze

Mcminnville, TN

#6866 Jan 17, 2013
KnightLord

Oak Ridge, TN

#6867 Jan 18, 2013
Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
There are so many examples of our educational system in these threads, it is hard to focus on just one. Even those who are "college educated" seem unable to command the English language beyond a 4th grade level. I believe that the few exceptions that are present in these threads are examples of those who hold thinking as the highest, and most effective, form of rebellion against the status quo imposed by those who either control, or manipulate society for their own ends. I suspect, though we may disagree on much, we agree on this.

I, for one, see personal education as yet another responsibility of the individual, not to be abdicated to society or government to be shaped as "they" will. As surprising as it may seem none of me {what is the plural of 'me'?} posts just to piss people off, but to provoke to thought and reflection.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How fast can you guess these words? 11 min epic fail 7
Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 11 min here now 148,988
Aj Taylor 22 min Lmao 2
CHILD molested by preacher or coach 24 min Really 29
fun thing to do ***Keep a Word~Drop a Word*** (Sep '10) 37 min BeastOfBurden 3,993
I enjoy paying the rich peoples taxes 1 hr Ben fracklin 19
OK State Trooper arrested rape on duty x 4 1 hr Absolut Power 1
Vols Suck! (Sep '10) 5 hr Trunketeer 195
Fog lights and queers 5 hr Frank Pherter 19
new sheriff in town made his 1st big change. Sun Pardon Burns 29
•••
•••
•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••