Is legal for churches in Greeneville ...

Is legal for churches in Greeneville to post election signs at church and land?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Doug

Gallatin, TN

#1 May 7, 2010
Bill B Wrote
Thursday Apr 29 There is another church with a sign on North Main Street. near the 11e. Mircles and deliverence church. Ronnie Robinson and Harley C Babb has a sign on the church sign stand vote for W T Daniels. It too is illegal and for a church to tell people who to vote for. This also needs to be checked into. This needs legal attention from a judge!
Again WHAT THE HEck ARE YOU THINKING! Can we get these three church taxed now that they are telling who to vote for?
SHAME SHAME SHAME. give unto the Lord what is the Lord's if these churches are bowing to Caesar then they need to be taxed and give unto Caesar that which is Caesarís.
Doug

Gallatin, TN

#2 May 7, 2010
Thatís nothing the Catholic Church Notre Dame seems to have a sign in front of their parsonage at the church. It too is illegal and for a church to tell people who to vote for. This also needs to be checked into. This needs legal attention from a judge!
Doug

Gallatin, TN

#3 May 7, 2010
The Evergreen of the local Presbyterian Church has a large vote for W T sign in their yard on Tusculum BLVD. It is illegal for a church to tell people who to vote for. This needs to be checked into. This needs legal attention from a judge!
Doug

Gallatin, TN

#4 May 7, 2010
Play Ball wrote

Butch Patterson put up vote for W T signs at the Church Street Pavilion owned by the city.
Butch also put up Vote for W T signs up behind the East view rec center at the East view ball park entrance.
Doug

Gallatin, TN

#5 May 7, 2010
Is the church street pavilion still owned by Second Baptist Church? Why is Butch putting up vote for W T signs on the parks? Forest Street Park had W T signs there too.
who cares

Johnson City, TN

#6 May 7, 2010
Doug wrote:
Is the church street pavilion still owned by Second Baptist Church? Why is Butch putting up vote for W T signs on the parks? Forest Street Park had W T signs there too.
if you dont like go remove them. nobody is going to do anything about so rant and rave and then get over it and go get the signs for yourself. i understand that your jealous and want all the signs in your front yard and the canidate would appreciate that. but so everyone doesnt make fun of you please wipe your tears before you go get them i am sure there are plenty of napkins to dry them.
dude

Johnson City, TN

#7 May 7, 2010
Doug, you are a rambling idiot. Yes, churches can endorse any candidate they choose. Go waste your money in getting a lawyer to investigate the issue. As for other signs that you refer to being on city property, educate yourself. As for the rec center, this is a voting location and candidates are allowed to place signs. There are other locations where property is privately owned that is adjacent to city property and yep, they can place any [email protected] sign they please!

Ramble on Doug, you moron.
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#8 May 7, 2010
dude wrote:
Doug, you are a rambling idiot. Yes, churches can endorse any candidate they choose. Go waste your money in getting a lawyer to investigate the issue. As for other signs that you refer to being on city property, educate yourself. As for the rec center, this is a voting location and candidates are allowed to place signs. There are other locations where property is privately owned that is adjacent to city property and yep, they can place any [email protected] sign they please!
Ramble on Doug, you moron.
This is a lie and a case of un education in Greeneville.

If a preacher is caught telling his people who to vote for he has his church has become a corporation and has placed his church to be taxed.

These three churches have to be reported to protect the other churches in Greeneville.
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#9 May 7, 2010
Americans United continually monitors electioneering by churches and religious organizations receiving tax exemptions. AU has filed the following violations to the IRS.
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#10 May 7, 2010
Project Fair play

Churches/Ministries Reported to the IRS by Americans United for Electioneering
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#11 May 7, 2010
This W T group has even the churches lying and cheating in Greeneville.

Jim Snyder and Jeff Woods are the only two in Greeneville who can remove illegal election signs.
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#12 May 7, 2010
The Greeneville permit department at work helping get our churches taxes. Silence to the law is the greatest weapons to take churches apart in Greeneville and Jim Snyder is doing his part.
Mav

Greeneville, TN

#13 May 7, 2010
Look it's simple....

Churches need to stay out of politics or pay taxes as a corporation. You can't have it both ways. You are either "of GOD" or you are "of MAN". Decide which and stick with it.

As far as an city employee posting signs on government property...I would fire him immediately if I were mayor.
Rob

Gallatin, TN

#14 May 7, 2010
Hello Mayor Mav!! I vote for you and not the good old boys.

w T Daniels has the whole town doing illegal things.

Vote out the illegal doings! Vote for King one more time.
Cindy

Gallatin, TN

#15 May 7, 2010
This has to stopped. My preacher for two years said it was worng and is against the law.
Joshua

Johnson City, TN

#16 May 7, 2010
I would imagine that the Supreme Court might rule that a church has the right to endorse if they so choose. Corporations were given that right by allowing them to give money. Does a church not have rights? Does a preacher not have rights? I might have a problem if a preacher told me to vote for someone that I didn't want to vote for. That would be a risk the church should not take, but they should have the right to do so if they so choose.

People want to have "separation of church and state" so that the church has no influence, when in fact it is the state that has no say so in religious matters. Religious people have a right to influence government as much as they can. The state just cannot take away rights from others because of religion or lack thereof.

The law concerning this is probably as unconstitutional (or more unconstitutional) than the IRS is anyways.
Carl

Gallatin, TN

#17 May 7, 2010
Doug wrote:
Bill B Wrote
Thursday Apr 29 There is another church with a sign on North Main Street. near the 11e. Mircles and deliverence church. Ronnie Robinson and Harley C Babb has a sign on the church sign stand vote for W T Daniels. It too is illegal and for a church to tell people who to vote for. This also needs to be checked into. This needs legal attention from a judge!
Again WHAT THE HEck ARE YOU THINKING! Can we get these three church taxed now that they are telling who to vote for?
SHAME SHAME SHAME. give unto the Lord what is the Lord's if these churches are bowing to Caesar then they need to be taxed and give unto Caesar that which is Caesarís.
This has to stop today! right now! the signs are still there! I took picture of them.
Carl

Gallatin, TN

#18 May 7, 2010
Joshua wrote:
I would imagine that the Supreme Court might rule that a church has the right to endorse if they so choose. Corporations were given that right by allowing them to give money. Does a church not have rights? Does a preacher not have rights? I might have a problem if a preacher told me to vote for someone that I didn't want to vote for. That would be a risk the church should not take, but they should have the right to do so if they so choose.
People want to have "separation of church and state" so that the church has no influence, when in fact it is the state that has no say so in religious matters. Religious people have a right to influence government as much as they can. The state just cannot take away rights from others because of religion or lack thereof.
The law concerning this is probably as unconstitutional (or more unconstitutional) than the IRS is anyways.
We should send in pictures of these signs to state lawyers and see. The churches need to pay taxes if they are making a drunk person being represented by churches them this man has deceived many good God fearing Christians. The pictures can hold up evidence for 12 months after the elections as proof.

Since: Dec 09

Madison, TN

#19 May 7, 2010
A very cursory search of the internet and the IRS website seems to suggest that churches (described as non-profit, tax exempt organizations) CANNOT distribute any material to endorse candidates during an election. A church that has a political sign on its property seems to be risking its future tax exempt status and possibly an audit of past financial transactions for the purposes of tax collection.
Carl

Gallatin, TN

#20 May 8, 2010
veryvermilion wrote:
A very cursory search of the internet and the IRS website seems to suggest that churches (described as non-profit, tax exempt organizations) CANNOT distribute any material to endorse candidates during an election. A church that has a political sign on its property seems to be risking its future tax exempt status and possibly an audit of past financial transactions for the purposes of tax collection.
For the sake of others churches , where do we turn the bad churches in at?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James Combs 1 hr Ummmm 1
Women to AVOID AT ALL COSTS in Greeneville 4 hr Milf 38
The BOAT 4 hr Trumpisreallytranny 2
Mitzi Jones Cutshaw POS snitch 5 hr she is a hero 10
wade gilliam?? 6 hr So sorry 8
News Hurley: Tusculum College Must Distinguish Itsel... 7 hr Chicken lover 31
carolyn franklin (Jan '11) 8 hr Omg ur dumb 17

Greeneville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance