First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Forever Rebel

Johnson City, TN

#41 Apr 24, 2010
Coach Ricker was someone that I looked up to. He was heart felt in his obligations as a teacher and mentor. He made me beleive in myself. He had a unique way of influencing many people's lives. I can sum Coach Ricker in one word; Remarkable. He was a great coach, teacher, friend, mentor, and person. Coach Ricker can be given much of the credit for making South Greene the school that it is today. He taught the student body to take pride in their school. Thanks to him, we all were proud to be a REBEL. He was dedicated and proved that hard work does pay off. I can not think of any other coach that earned the respect that he did. He was a hero of our community. We are at a great loss, but HE is not. "I'm going to miss that smile. I'm going to miss you, my friend. You've showed me how I am suppose to live, now you've showed me how to die. So, play it sweet in heaven because that is right were your suppose to be. I'm not crying cause I feel so sorry for you, I am crying for me." (Keith, 2010)
Shan

Murfreesboro, TN

#42 Apr 24, 2010
Guy Simpson was such a nice guy. He gave me a hundred dollars for my birthday out of the blue. I barely new him.
Dingle Nutz

Knoxville, TN

#43 Apr 24, 2010
I had a couple of younger cousins play for Mr Ricker. They never complained. Although it was obvious Mr Ricker was an intense coach, he changed girls basketball in this area for the better. I'm old enough to remember when girls basketball was considered a nuisance, with almost no attendance. Mr Ricker changed that forever.
Preacher Boy

Johnson City, TN

#44 Apr 24, 2010
It is so unsettling to me that we can have the kind of people living in our community as the ones that I have read about in this forum. We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God. But, maybe what you dont know is that Mr. Larry Ricker did ask God for forgiveness of ALL of his sins, as you and I should do, and now ALL of them are in the sea of forgetfullness. Never to be remembered again. Mr. Ricker may have gotten his name in the record books for basketball but the most important book that he has his name in is in the Book Of Life. In the end, that is the only record book that will matter. Our loss is Heavens gain. As Mr. Ricker is laid to rest today, may these words lay heavy on your heart, for those of you that wish to judge his past life. He can run now, he can walk now, he can even shake the nail scared hand of our Lord and Savior. Those of you that want to dishonor him, should look to the cross as well. We will be praying for you.
Shorty

Elizabethtown, KY

#45 Apr 24, 2010
Did anyone attend the funeral?
The Answer

Gallatin, TN

#46 Apr 24, 2010
Shorty wrote:
Did anyone attend the funeral?
I did...along with my family.
Shorty

Elizabethtown, KY

#47 Apr 25, 2010
I was just wondering what size crowd there was. I guess they were expecting quite a few by having everything at the church.
The Answer

Gallatin, TN

#48 Apr 25, 2010
Shorty wrote:
I was just wondering what size crowd there was. I guess they were expecting quite a few by having everything at the church.
It was a large gathering...hard to guess but about 400...350. It was moving and consoling.
lib

United States

#49 Apr 25, 2010
Shorty wrote:
that was where he, his wife and sister all go to church and the funeral home suggested they have it all there due to parking issues, very nice service

Since: Apr 10

Knoxville, TN

#50 Apr 25, 2010
Who in here could come close to going through what Larry did in the past years/ Larry and Billie june went to my church and God gave Larry a new life and saved his soul. If our pasts were brought before us, I ask, who is worthy? Enjoy the King of kings Brother Larry.
Paula

Fort Campbell, TN

#51 Apr 27, 2010
As I sit here and read all of these posts, most of which are positive, I fail to understand how some still, even after his death, criticize and badmouth a man that you never really knew. It should be obvious by the outpouring of love by his former players and his community that he was a phenomenal coach and person. There were 5 pews full of former players present at the funeral. We were there to honor a man that gave us so much during our time with him. Yes, he was hard core on the basketball court. He pushed us to the limit and sometimes over the limit. By doing this, he instilled so much strength and character in each of us. He expected us to perform in the classroom just as we did on the court, and because of this most of us have college educations and successful careers. He was so much more that a coach to all of us. He was like a second father. There is nothing that he wouldn't have done for his girls. He taught us to be solid and to never quit. He was and always will be our rock. If your were not fortunate enough to be a part of our family, I guess you just can't understand. Much love to Billie June for sharing Coach with us for so many years. You are an angel and one of the strongest women I know. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Andy. RIP Coach. You will be sadly missed by each of us.
Take It Somewhere Else

Elizabethtown, KY

#52 Apr 27, 2010
Little Bird wrote:
Coach Larry Neal Ricker passed away this afternoon.
He will be greatly missed in the South Greene Coummunity. RIP
See, ya post news on this site and vindictive trolls start spewing things from the past that are hurtful to family members. Let the low lifes on here get their news from the paper, if they can afford it.
brooke

Abingdon, VA

#53 Nov 26, 2010
Preacher Boy wrote:
It is so unsettling to me that we can have the kind of people living in our community as the ones that I have read about in this forum. We have all sinned and come short of the glory of God. But, maybe what you dont know is that Mr. Larry Ricker did ask God for forgiveness of ALL of his sins, as you and I should do, and now ALL of them are in the sea of forgetfullness. Never to be remembered again. Mr. Ricker may have gotten his name in the record books for basketball but the most important book that he has his name in is in the Book Of Life. In the end, that is the only record book that will matter. Our loss is Heavens gain. As Mr. Ricker is laid to rest today, may these words lay heavy on your heart, for those of you that wish to judge his past life. He can run now, he can walk now, he can even shake the nail scared hand of our Lord and Savior. Those of you that want to dishonor him, should look to the cross as well. We will be praying for you.
i completely agree with you sir. i miss coach ricker so bad and it hurts so much. i do have one question that is bothering me terribly though. i know that coach was forgiven of all his sins. i think it's awesome the support he is given on here with the exception of a few that probably didn't know him. he was a winner and everyone hates a winner, well that's what he used to tell me...my question is this. why is it that his wife is on the recent topix titled candy shipley bashing her? we all know the story. but the thing is, candy is also a born again christian. she is celebrating her 4 yr spiritual bday in jan. she loves the lord with everything in her. i just don't understand this sir. to be a true believer you should forgive and i know for a fact that candy ask her forgiveness right after she ask the lord into her heart. she is saying nasty things about her. just dont quite understand.
ha ha ha ha ha

United States

#54 Nov 27, 2010
I attended SGHS and had larry neal I think he was nothing but a SOB!!! He is a useless piece of sht! I can't believe there is people actually taking up for that low life!! Geez people get a clue!!!!!!!!!!
Incredible

Murfreesboro, TN

#55 Nov 27, 2010
ha ha ha ha ha wrote:
I attended SGHS and had larry neal I think he was nothing but a SOB!!! He is a useless piece of sht! I can't believe there is people actually taking up for that low life!! Geez people get a clue!!!!!!!!!!
You could have gone FOREVER without expressing that. The man is dead. His family is suffering the loss of a son and father. Why do you think it is necessary to add to their grief? There is a place in hell for vile, evil people like you. I went to South Greene too, and he didn't bother me- he was a winning coach. I am sorry that a piece of work like you darkened the same door. I hope someday you will live to remember and regret what you have said here to intentionally hurt people. The record of your life and deeds is in the Book of Life. Seek forgiveness. You were needlessly cruel.
one of his girls!

Caroleen, NC

#56 Jan 11, 2011
No one man is perfect... But anyone can be forgiven and he changed his personal life and that's no one elses business but his! He was also a great coach and changed my life! Love you coach ricker RIP!!!
Unforgettable

Johnson City, TN

#57 Sep 18, 2012
I love you Larry Neil Ricker. I miss you and a day doesn't go by that I don't think about you and all that you taught me. I wish I had one more chance to say good bye because this doesn't get any easier. Sometimes I e en find myself dialing your cell. Number when I run into a problem that I need your help with because you were there for me no matter what. Life lessons you used to say. Well they're not so easy to swallow when you're. Not here to lean on.. It's not fair ;( I want you back here but I know that's selfish because you are in heaven and not hurting anymore. Just rememember what you always told me.... In that hospital bed.... I will always be your favorite. When you said we'll be best friends til the end I didn't think you would be taken so soon. I can still remember in that hospital room holding your hand both of us crying and you said I love you infinity. I love and miss you LARRY NEIL RICKER. I cap that because some of you that claim to know him so well should have known that it was a pet peeve for someone to spell his middle name wrong.
bob

United States

#59 Sep 19, 2012
you must be one ofm those young girls he fkd
Lol

Pageland, SC

#60 Sep 19, 2012
bob wrote:
you must be one ofm those young girls he fkd
Hope you sleep well on that stupid comment idiot .
harry

Los Angeles, CA

#61 Sep 19, 2012
Lol wrote:
<quoted text> Hope you sleep well on that stupid comment idiot .
i dam sure will.i know it to be true

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jost International??? 2 hr wow 3
More POOR DRIVING! 2 hr whothehellcares- 6
Prayers for Mike Pence 2 hr whothehellcares- 2
sports reporter 3 hr whothehellcares- 4
***** last post wins ***** 4 hr Independent1 1,621
curse 4 hr Kohlrabi 25
Puppy Nursery is a Mill! AKA Poodle Palace 4 hr Lucy 3
cowboys auto repair 5 hr z0neCrew 24
impossible to do things alone 6 hr diesel doctor 26
Where all the girls like their puss eaten... 7 hr contagious 36