RIP Larry Neal Ricker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Little Bird

Greeneville, TN

#1 Apr 20, 2010
Coach Larry Neal Ricker passed away this afternoon.
He will be greatly missed in the South Greene Coummunity. RIP
RIP

United States

#2 Apr 20, 2010
My best memory of Larry Neal is him sitting on the sidelines in the middle of a SGHS basketball game and flipping my group off multiple times in the middle of a ball game. You know, you would think that a grown man would have more class than to flip a bunch of teenagers from an opposing team off (in front of his players nonetheless). Classy guy and he was a great example. Amazing the SG community rallied behind this guy just because he won ball games. I hadn't seen him in several years, but hope he changed his ways.
Give it a rest

Murfreesboro, TN

#3 Apr 20, 2010
RIP wrote:
My best memory of Larry Neal is him sitting on the sidelines in the middle of a SGHS basketball game and flipping my group off multiple times in the middle of a ball game. You know, you would think that a grown man would have more class than to flip a bunch of teenagers from an opposing team off (in front of his players nonetheless). Classy guy and he was a great example. Amazing the SG community rallied behind this guy just because he won ball games. I hadn't seen him in several years, but hope he changed his ways.
Speaking of class...where is yours? There is no reason for this type of post. Please show some respect for his family...even if you disagreed with the coach. They have suffered mightily. I hope goodness and mercy will follow.
the wreckless kind

Johnson City, TN

#4 Apr 20, 2010
RIP, you're a class A prick. Regardless of what you thought about his coaching actions, this was still someone's father, someone's husband, someone's son. Show a little respect. Where is the humanity in this world?
alumni 07

Elizabethtown, KY

#5 Apr 20, 2010
larry was in my opinion the best coach the greenevile community has ever seen he guided me through countless strugles and was like a father to most of south greene high through the years he was there. he is someone i will never forget for as long as i live. as he is taken into heaven i hope that he see's neal and they can share times once again. to his family my prayers go out to you i hope you can make it through this tough time.
just me

Nashville, TN

#6 Apr 20, 2010
Larry was one of the best coaches to come thru
Greene Co. Got the most out of all his players.
Brings back good memories of Mr. Bert Starnes
and Jerry Weems. RIP Larry you will be missed.
BIGAL

Johnson City, TN

#7 Apr 20, 2010
RIP wrote:
You truly are a low human being. I would dare say you are not half the person Coach Ricker was. Coach Ricker is one of my main mentors who has helped my throughout my life. He faced so many struggles and obstacles through life. He finally will be resting and reunited with with Neal. But RIP you really are a awful person.
Aaron Hansel

Brentwood, TN

#8 Apr 20, 2010
i miss u coach you wasnt just a coach you were a friend of family and we grew up with u you were like a dad to me and adam
A Greystone Girl

Murfreesboro, TN

#9 Apr 20, 2010
RIP,
Too bad you were not under his coaching. You would have more respect than what you have shown on this forum. Coach was a fine man. We are not here to recognize faults at the time of a lost. We are hopefully posting to recollect prized memories of how he inspired us.

As for me, coach instilled many good ethical qualities such as never giving up, effort = reward, and the ability to believe that small country children, like many of us were, had the opportunity to face the world with the option to be successful and achieve the kind of life we could only dream of.

My deepest sympathy to his wonderful wife Billie and his son Andy as well as the rest of his family.

COACH WE MISS YOU, WE LOVE YOU, AND THE GREYSTONE GIRLS WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!
A Greystone Girl

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Apr 20, 2010
Sorry for the ms in paragraph one at the time of a loss.
quiet

Elizabethtown, KY

#11 Apr 20, 2010
you know there are a lot thoughts running through my mind right now about coach. no matter how mad you made him or what he thought you might have done wrong at the time he was always the first one there to pick you up when you were down.its sad to me that such a joyus occasion like coach getting inducted into the hall of fame being marred by idiots like you rip. i cant stand the fact that you judge this man by something that probably never even happened.i dont know about you but i had the priviledge of seeing him in action and i know this for a fact he would not have wasted precious gametime on some idiot teenager that sat in the stands complaining about how team was getting beat by the pressure defense south greene ran so well through the years.so rest in peace coahc you deserve we love you and miss you.
Ship

United States

#12 Apr 21, 2010
Luckily, I never had the chance to play Ladies' Basketball for Coach Ricker, but I did play football and boy was it tough. I'll never forget the lessons Coach Ricker taught us on those late August afternoons. Coach Ricker was as strong as anyone I have met to this day. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.
ScottyG

Elizabethton, TN

#13 Apr 21, 2010
RIP is entitled to his opinion...not everyone was a fan of Larry Neal Ricker...
BB Fan

Smyrna, TN

#14 Apr 21, 2010
ScottyG wrote:
RIP is entitled to his opinion...not everyone was a fan of Larry Neal Ricker...
ScottyG and RIP,

You both have class. The only problem is, that it is all THIRD class. You both are pukes.
thoughts

Bon Aqua, TN

#15 Apr 21, 2010
Larry Neal Ricker may have been a good man..there is good in everyone. But I have to agree with RIP. I played BB for him at one time, and let me say, he wasnt the most classy guy around. In fact he could be right down rude. He could a player feel like the best in the world ("if your name was Nicole that is") or, he could make you feel second class. He had two sides as everyone does. He had alot of problems the last few years of his life, but just know this too, he had PROBLEMS before. Anger management being one, poor sportsmanship, and teaching some "sexual" lessons that high school teen girls should hear about from their parents.
Yes RIP Larry Neal Ricker....you at least deserve that.
Proud Lady Rebel

Nashville, TN

#16 Apr 21, 2010
He deserves a lot more!
Coach Ricker would be the first to tell you that he made many many mistakes throughout his life and his coaching career. But so many people bashed him because he won and he was tough. People were jealous.
You did not have to have the name "Nicole" to get praised. What you did have to have was heart, courage, dedication, and desire to play. Not everyone could be a great player. You can not hold it against him if you did not play.
He did not have poor sportmanship just hated to lose, which he did very little of. Opposing coaches that have lost to him many of times have the up most respect for him.
It is a shame everyone did not get to know him personally before and after his accident. He stood for a lot before his accident but he was a hero after his accident.
TwinTower

United States

#17 Apr 21, 2010
How anyone can sit there and bash a man they never knew? I played for Coach Ricker and it was 4 of the toughest years of my life. And there was times I wanted to quit but thank god I had the desire and dedication to push through the tough times and that is what the winners did. Coach Ricker would always bring up past players but that was because they knew how to get things done. Coach Ricker was there for me anytime I needed him, especially this past year. He was going thru all his medical problems but he wanted to make sure I knew that he would do anything he could for me. That is the kind of man he is. Love you Coach Ricker
Proud Lady Rebel 2

Hendersonville, TN

#18 Apr 21, 2010
I am disgusted that there are people in this community that can be as disrespectful and rude as some of you have displayed yourselves to be.I played for Coach Ricker. Yes, he was hard, but guess what? I learned to be mentally tough which prepared me for life. I "earned my rock" and when I did, I knew I was strong enough to weather any storm. I had the "Eye of the Tiger" to rise above my opponents with GUTS AND GLORY to prevail. I became a champion on the court and off. How many Coaches do you know can take a group of girls- make them champions and after 16 to 20 years those same girls would be as close and there for each other as we are? Coach Ricker was a Great Man. Other than God and my own father he has been the most influential person in my life. We always knew he had our back no matter what. If you did not succeed it was because you chose not to.
If you did not take the time to know Coach Ricker I am sorry because you were cheated of the opportunity to learn and have the best mentor ever.
Green Lady Rebel

Brentwood, TN

#19 Apr 21, 2010
It's so easy to judge someone you've never known personally RIP! You're the type of "fan" that motivated Coach to strive even harder for excellence! You're the one in the stands that he would tell us girls to ignore and "play our game" which is what we did for years! Oneof the best decisions I ever made was playing for SGHS. I learned to never give up when times got hard and I have carried those lessons with me through some very difficult times in my life especially through times of single parenthood. It's been hard but a lot of my inner strength and perserverance is a relection of my experience as a Lady Rebel! Rest in peace Coach Ricker...you will live in my heart forever!
LITTLE GUARD

Gallatin, TN

#20 Apr 21, 2010
I just wish all could have seen the man Coach Ricker was facing death. There was a sweet peace and he knew he had been forgiven. Oh, I am so thankful to serve a Lord who forgives and does not expect perfection. As the Bible tells us, "LET THOSE WHO ARE WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE". Therefore, I do not believe any of us should be bashing another. In the heat of competition I do not believe any of us could say we have not done things which are unpleasing. Let me also say, the man I knew was human, therefore, capable of messing up. However, he was a winner through and through! He taught those around him how to play this game of life,how to fight through things,how not to quit until the job is finished. This is exactly what he did. Congratulations Coach, on a battle that is now won!! With much gratitude and love to a man who has made a difference and to his family who shared him with all of us!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bus Driver No Summer Pay (Apr '11) 20 min CatJo80 59
the jones murder in baileyton in the 90's (Sep '10) 49 min Be smart 25
God is destroying America 49 min Tony 67
I am tired of winning, how about you? 50 min Tony 27
Where is all the conservative yelling, now? 51 min Tony 59
Selling Mike Waddell t-shirts? 52 min Tony 6
Biggest FB attention seekers... 54 min Hush already 42
Top Dog Hot Dog Stand 2 hr Theodore 9
Shannon Johnson Busted again 5 hr Max Planck 29
Nolachuckey Teacher Fired? Mon just me 25