Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's the Cato Institute, the Ultra Conservative Think Tank, making these allegations! Maybe they're true and maybe they're not...but coming from the Cato Institute, I wouldn't take it to the Bank until some Gov't. Agency verified it!
The Article goes on to say that the One Woman they quoted who was packing Rice and Evaporated Milk in one of the Barrels for shipment, said that she did not get Food Stamps!
More BLAH BLAH BLAH.

“Everybody does it,” said a worker at an Associated Supermarket in Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Brooklyn.“They pay for it any way they can. A lot of people pay with EBT.”

Customers pay cash for the barrels, usually about $40, and typically ship them filled with $500 to $2,000 worth of rice, beans, pasta, canned milk and sausages.

Workers at the Pioneer Supermarket on Parkside Avenue and the Key Food on Flatbush Avenue confirmed the practice.

They said food-stamp recipients typically take home their barrels and fill them gradually over time with food bought with EBT cards.

When the tubs are full, the welfare users call a shipping company to pick them up and send them to the Caribbean for about $70. The shipments take about three weeks.

Last week, a woman stuffed dozens of boxes of macaroni and evaporated milk into a barrel headed for her family in Kingston, Jamaica. She said she didn’t have welfare benefits and bought the food herself.

“This is all worth more than $2,000,” she said.“I’ve been shopping since last December. You can help somebody else, someone who doesn’t live in this country.”
Timbuk2

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
And it's the Cato Institute, the Ultra Conservative Think Tank, making these allegations! Maybe they're true and maybe they're not...but coming from the Cato Institute, I wouldn't take it to the Bank until some Gov't. Agency verified it!
The Article goes on to say that the One Woman they quoted who was packing Rice and Evaporated Milk in one of the Barrels for shipment, said that she did not get Food Stamps!
From Cato's website:

The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank – dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace.

Are you against individual liberty?

Peace?

Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

President Obama has had a poor record of job creation, but at least one small economic sector is doing well: community organizing.

The Department of Health and Human Services is about to hire an army of “patient navigators” to inform Americans about the subsidized insurance promised by Obamacare and assist them in enrolling.

These organizers will be guided by the new Federal Data Hub, which will give them access to reams of personal information compiled by federal agencies ranging from the IRS to the Department of Defense and the Veterans Administration.

“The federal government is planning to quietly enact what could be the largest consolidation of personal data in the history of the republic,” Paul Howard of the Manhattan Institute and Stephen T. Parente, a University of Minnesota finance professor, wrote in USA Today.

No wonder that there are concerns about everything from identity theft to the ability of navigators to use the system to register Obamacare participants to vote.
Torr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
The national average price for regular unleaded gasoline jumped 12 cents in the past week alone. It was $3.67 a gallon on Friday.
For the record, the day Obama took office in 2009, the national average price for regular unleaded gasoline was $1.83 a gallon.
When I was a kid it was 25.9 cents per gallon and they gave you stuff for a fill up. What happened, and who can I blame ?

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Timbuk2 wrote:
<quoted text>
From Cato's website:
The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization — a think tank – dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace.
Are you against individual liberty?
Peace?
Cato Institute

The Cato Institute is an American libertarian think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was founded as the Charles Koch Foundation in 1974 by Murray Rothbard, Ed Crane and Charles Koch, chairman ... Wikipedia

Founded: 1974

Nonprofit category: Government and Public Administration

Assets: 67.08 million USD (2012)

Income: 36.15 million USD (2012)

Tax deductibility code: 501(c)(3)

Founders: Charles G. Koch, Murray Rothbard, Ed Crane
BCAlien

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Torr wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid it was 25.9 cents per gallon and they gave you stuff for a fill up. What happened, and who can I blame ?
How bout a free glass with a box of oats?
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Torr wrote:
<quoted text>When I was a kid it was 25.9 cents per gallon and they gave you stuff for a fill up. What happened, and who can I blame ?
If a Democrat is the president, blame the market.

If a Republican is the president, well then - obviously it's his fault.
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
After 53 years of Democrat/Union/unbridled liberalism in Detroit, the city goes belly up and thousands of public service employees may only get 10 (ten) cents on a dollar of their pensions and benefits. After 5 years of Democrat/ union /unbridled liberalism, the federal government is belly up. Is there a pattern here?
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

"The European Union agreed on Monday to blacklist the “military wing” of Lebanon's militant Shiite organization Hezbollah in response to the group's alleged activities in Europe."
Glad to hear that the EU has recognized Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. The Israelis could have told them (and did ) years ago.
Question

Goodlettsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Vet wrote:
<quoted text>After 53 years of Democrat/Union/unbridled liberalism in Detroit, the city goes belly up and thousands of public service employees may only get 10 (ten) cents on a dollar of their pensions and benefits. After 5 years of Democrat/ union /unbridled liberalism, the federal government is belly up. Is there a pattern here?
I hope they do get a Fed. gov. bail out. I am not interested paying for their problems. They dug themselves into this hole they can dig themselves out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

"UBS Agrees To Settle U.S. Mis-Selling Case."

("Swiss Bank reaches Multi-Million dollar agreement with Regulator over investments sold between 2004 and 2007.")

Click here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/jul/2...

----------
UBS has agreed a settlement with a US regulator over claims it mis-sold mortgage-backed securities during the pre-crisis housing bubble.

The Swiss bank reached agreement with the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) over investments sold to the government mortgage finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. The two institutions were central to the subprime crisis and almost collapsed in 2008.

UBS said the settlement, relating to securities sold between 2004 and 2007, was "subject to documentation and final approvals by the parties", but added the full cost would be covered by provisions made in the second quarter and previously.

It said pre-tax charges over the period would total 865m Swiss francs (£601m)– covering litigation, other provisions and a Swiss-UK tax agreement.

The FHFA was established in 2008 to oversee Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banks and to promote a more stable housing and mortgage market. The settlement with UBS relates to one of a group of cases filed by the FHFA.

The regulator sued 18 banks in 2011, accusing them of violating securities laws by misleading Fannie and Freddie about $200bn (£130bn) in mortgage-backed securities they purchased. The banks include Barclays, Royal Bank of Scotland, Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank.
yeppers

Paris, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

George Zimmerman saves car crash victim in Sanford, police say

Read more: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/07/george-z...
Follow us:@ABC7News on Twitter | WJLATV on Facebook

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Conservatives have cheered on the "legal" killing of a black teenager in Florida and now they are cheering on the demise of a predominantly black city in America.

...but there is no racism whatsoever in Republican circles.

<rolls eyes>
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Question wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they do get a Fed. gov. bail out. I am not interested paying for their problems. They dug themselves into this hole they can dig themselves out.
Where do you think that the federal government gets their funds? Of course the Chinese will be funding about 7% of any bailout and the rest of the US taxpayers will fund the rest. The US debt will continue to go up and up.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
If a Republican is President, most of the time , it IS his fault...you're right!
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget old Cal Coolidge, Bayless. It's his fault.
Vet

Fayetteville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

The Original Amused wrote:
Conservatives have cheered on the "legal" killing of a black teenager in Florida and now they are cheering on the demise of a predominantly black city in America.
<rolls eyes>
Well, OA, it was legal, the jury said so. As to cheering the death, I have not heard one conservative on this forum do that. When excessive Democrat/union/liberalism fails anywhere, you can bet you will hear about it, probably from me first. Now, are you still posting on employer time, I am not.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

<rolls eyes>
Apples and Oranges.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Vet wrote:
<quoted text>After 53 years of Democrat/Union/unbridled liberalism in Detroit, the city goes belly up and thousands of public service employees may only get 10 (ten) cents on a dollar of their pensions and benefits. After 5 years of Democrat/ union /unbridled liberalism, the federal government is belly up. Is there a pattern here?
If they don't provide a Link to wherever they got their information, just assume it's all BS Propaganda, and you'll very likely assume correctly!
Question

Goodlettsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

<rolls eyes>
Why is Detroit filing bankruptcy a black issue?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr chris 9,313
Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Trans People in Greeneville (Apr '10) 3 hr Ouch 399
jennifer dean 3 hr Brandon C 3
Debate: Ferguson - Greeneville, TN 3 hr Liberal not Stupid 53
How many people in Greene County would move els... 3 hr Dr Wu 7
there is no honest, respectful men in this town... 4 hr Dr Wu 17
Greene County School System At It Again 4 hr The Dealer 19
Davis Street 5 hr Dr Wu 11
twested scissors 5 hr Dr Wu 7
south greene football 5 hr statement 18
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating