Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
333 and 333 equals 666 in my conspiracy class and that's a bad sign. A very bad sign.
Clapping my hands,wiggling my toes, and raising my eyebrows Sweet Pea.
Crazy about me huh?
I'm crazy about you in spite of the fact you can't do math...that "Sweet Pea" brings back some unpleasant memories, though...that's alittle troubling. I might have to cancel that "crazy about you" thing just anytime, now.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
So how much y'all wanna bet, on that what you don't know about, cause you weren't there?
$10,000 sound good?
Pay Pal work for you?
Now, you think you can go back in time? You're just a little bit on the crazy side, aren't you, Hey?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>Now, you think you can go back in time? You're just a little bit on the crazy side, aren't you, Hey?
Should be a perfect match for you then dear.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey OT. I fully agree there were some greedy loan shark mortgage lenders and banks during this time. They paid the ultimate price though, they are no longer in business. That is another subject though. I disagree that the taxpayers should have bailed out the homeowners though. My reason has nothing to do with politics, but simple ethics. For instance, if the government were to have done this, imagine the family who rents a small apartment or house and continues to rent simply because they made a responsible choice to not commit to an easy loan during the housing boom years because they felt there was a chance they could not repay the loan. Imagine this same family living next to or knowing of another family with less income living in a nice, larger home that they own strictly due to the government's assistance with the mortgage payments. One family is being penalized for making a responsible choice and the other is being rewarded for financial irresponsibility. It is much better to reward personal accountability rather than incent personal irresponsibility because the repercussions associated with irresponsibility are what teach us to be responsible. When we incent irresponsibility, someone else has to pay for it. Sooner or later, if we continue this practice, we get to a point where the price for irresponsibility exceeds the amount the responsible ones can pay. This results in a crisis. Our situation today in my opinion is ... Houston, we have a problem.
My reasoning FOR bailing out mortgagees is one of ethics as well "Pete". I understand your position and it has merit but I think mine does as well. The biggest damage done to average Americans in the great recession was the loss of jobs....but a close second would be the loss of equity in their homes. When thousands upon thousands of houses are forclosed on across the nation the result is a free-fall of housing values. Average Americans have one basic asset and that is the equity stored in their homes. By choosing to bail out banks instead of mortgagees our government allowed that asset's value to collapse when mortgage assistance for a large swath of those underwater mortgages would have placed a floor under home values....Not one as high as it had been, but a floor, none the less, AND in the process bailed out the banks...basicially a two for one bang for our buck. Instead, the banks got the bailout and every homeowner (even those with no mortgage) got the dirty end of the mop...not very ethical when we helped pay for the bailout is it "Pete" ?
Here is one more thing, by saving the big banks but not supporting mortgagees, government actually weakened small banks who found their loan portfolios underwater too. This part of the crisis isn't over...as small banks are holding a ton of OREO that is over valued on their books and IF the real value were used would show them to be insolvent. Even with the push to zero interest, many of these banks will eventually fail. In the interum, they have curtailed lending to such an extent that some folks...even those with stellar credit, are having a hard time getting loans.

Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
As always, this is just my opinion and I realize it may differ from yours. I don't intend to always take the opposite side of your posts. I am just offering another viewpoint for the same problem. I will also say I enjoy our discussions and appreciate your courtesy.
Well, my friend, what good is a discussion when everyone agrees ! If you disagree with me, by all means I want to hear about it and why. If I was always right...it would require an appointment and a fee to get my opinion !! Chuckles !!!
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding the banking industry, it was actually mortgage lenders who were eager to make the quick buck and write easy loans.
Somewhere...a few thousand posts ago...I wrote about a friend I grew up with, who got a job as a loan officer in a small local bank. Eventually she went to work for Countrywide Mortgage Co. She was doing alright there...when the housing bubble began, since they paid salary plus commission and Countrywide was writing a lot of loans. She told me she followed the rules set out by the company and seldom bent those rules...even a little. When the bubble began to heat up, she was called on the carpet by her boss for TURNING DOWN TOO MANY LOANS. She told me that she brought him back the files of a bunch of loans she had denied and showed him why. And she was told "Are they breathing ? If they are... they qualify".
She relates that she made more in a few months than she had in a few YEARS and was promoted to a senior loan officer.
I couldn't understand WHY any mortgage company would engage in this behavior until I began to read about what happened to these loans AFTER they were made. They were packaged, and sold in bulk to investment banks which submitted them to the ratings agencies and turned them into investment vehicles. Some of these loans were turned in to the ratings agencies multiple times UNTIL they got favorable A or B tranch ratings. THEN those same investment banks bet against the success of these investment grade securities at insurance agencies like AIG.
You are right when you say that places like Countrywide are gone...but the others, well after the bailout they are as big or bigger than ever, thanks to the generosity of the American taxpayer.
Would Countrywide have engaged in this behavior if anyone was minding the store at the SEC ? I don't think so !
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, you think you can go back in time? You're just a little bit on the crazy side, aren't you, Hey?
That was a joke.Someone says whem were we ever not doing crap stuff and I say how bout 3 months way back when.Ha,Ha,Ha.
Seen any of those Zombies lately?Do you suppose they were hanging out in 1776,Sugar Babe? Do you like Sugar Babe better? How about Zombie Girl?
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm crazy about you in spite of the fact you can't do math...that "Sweet Pea" brings back some unpleasant memories, though...that's alittle troubling. I might have to cancel that "crazy about you" thing just anytime, now.
Wait a minute.What about my math?So 333 plus 333 does not equal 666?

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Great News!

After months of politicing by Obama and Crazy Uncle Joe - Harry Reid forced a Gun Control vote yesterday... the U.S. Senate voted it down 54 - 46.

In an epic FAIL

The Feinstein Amendment to ban 157 semi-automatic weapons and high (regular) capacity magazines...massively failed 60-40.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait a minute.What about my math?So 333 plus 333 does not equal 666?
If you turn that 666 upside down it's 999 kinda like Herman Cain's pizza deal or something

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text>Somewhere...a few thousand posts ago...I wrote about a friend I grew up with, who got a job as a loan officer in a small local bank. Eventually she went to work for Countrywide Mortgage Co. She was doing alright there...when the housing bubble began, since they paid salary plus commission and Countrywide was writing a lot of loans. She told me she followed the rules set out by the company and seldom bent those rules...even a little. When the bubble began to heat up, she was called on the carpet by her boss for TURNING DOWN TOO MANY LOANS. She told me that she brought him back the files of a bunch of loans she had denied and showed him why. And she was told "Are they breathing ? If they are... they qualify".
She relates that she made more in a few months than she had in a few YEARS and was promoted to a senior loan officer.
I couldn't understand WHY any mortgage company would engage in this behavior until I began to read about what happened to these loans AFTER they were made. They were packaged, and sold in bulk to investment banks which submitted them to the ratings agencies and turned them into investment vehicles. Some of these loans were turned in to the ratings agencies multiple times UNTIL they got favorable A or B tranch ratings. THEN those same investment banks bet against the success of these investment grade securities at insurance agencies like AIG.
You are right when you say that places like Countrywide are gone...but the others, well after the bailout they are as big or bigger than ever, thanks to the generosity of the American taxpayer.
Would Countrywide have engaged in this behavior if anyone was minding the store at the SEC ? I don't think so !
<<yawning>>

The boring ignorance just rambles on and on and on with no end in sight. I doubt anyone even reads all this mess.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
Great News!
After months of politicing by Obama and Crazy Uncle Joe - Harry Reid forced a Gun Control vote yesterday... the U.S. Senate voted it down 54 - 46.
In an epic FAIL
The Feinstein Amendment to ban 157 semi-automatic weapons and high (regular) capacity magazines...massively failed 60-40.
Truthfully, I don't know if this is "great news" or not...Just as with most issues, there are many reasons to support this legislation and many reasons to oppose it.
I see no reason why a owner of a main street gun store has to subject his customers to a background check, but a person selling at a gun show, or on the internet doesn't....BUT, I have serious issues with the right to privacy issue on the mental health part of the legislation, and who will make the determination that a person is mentally ill enough to be denied the right to buy a gun legally.
I am quite sure that if God Forbid, I was a parent or grandparent of one of those kids at Newtown....I would NOT see this defeat as "great news".
I am all in for a limit to magazine size and outlawing the owneship of those already in private hands. If a person needs 30 or 50 rounds to shoot something, they are either blind or a lousy aim.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Really Sassy wrote:
<quoted text>
<<yawning>>
The boring ignorance just rambles on and on and on with no end in sight. I doubt anyone even reads all this mess.
Yes, I'm sure discussing issues is boring for you...especially when we could be discussing Linda, her children, her home, her car, her screen name, and the other great contributions you have made to the thread with your enlightened viewpoint.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Truthfully, I don't know if this is "great news" or not...Just as with most issues, there are many reasons to support this legislation and many reasons to oppose it.
I see no reason why a owner of a main street gun store has to subject his customers to a background check, but a person selling at a gun show, or on the internet doesn't....BUT, I have serious issues with the right to privacy issue on the mental health part of the legislation, and who will make the determination that a person is mentally ill enough to be denied the right to buy a gun legally.
I am quite sure that if God Forbid, I was a parent or grandparent of one of those kids at Newtown....I would NOT see this defeat as "great news".
I am all in for a limit to magazine size and outlawing the owneship of those already in private hands. If a person needs 30 or 50 rounds to shoot something, they are either blind or a lousy aim.
Right now there ARE background checks for internet sales - I do them all the time.

As far as magazine size, etc. I don't "need" a 30+ round magazine but I also don't "need" a car or a phone or electricity but I can have all three. I've been on this Earth 63 years and have never used a gun to harm anyone - except in 1968 at the order of the President of the U.S. Why should the government now tell me I don't 'need' a magazine of a particular size?

The 2nd Amendment does not specify that the gov't can tell you what you 'need' as far as arms...and it also doesn't specify that you need the arms for hunting either.
Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Truthfully, I don't know if this is "great news" or not...Just as with most issues, there are many reasons to support this legislation and many reasons to oppose it.
Your statement about gun shows is partially incorrect. If you are a gun dealer selling at a gun show, a background check must be done, and the weapon cannot be transferred until the check is complete. States that have a waiting period ("But I'm mad NOW!") require that the gun be paid for in advance, and may be picked up after the wait period from a FFL licensed dealer.

There are sellers at gun shows that are not licensed dealers. In that case, they are considered private sales, and as such no background check is required, because it is a private sale.

Then there are people who just walk around the show carrying guns for sale. These sales are also between private individuals and can occur in the building or in the parking lot.

Every weapon I've ever purchased was a private sale, however, they were all from people I knew and trusted.

I'm afraid that the idea that private citizens will run background checks is preposterous, and serves to make every gun owner a criminal.

Why is it that we have to have knee-jerk reactions that force us to pass laws that won't accomplish anything more than "feeling good" that we did something?

Scarlett Pimple

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
Great News!
In an epic FAIL
And Obama is SO upset!

"President Obama angrily blamed the defeat Wednesday of his centerpiece gun-control proposal on lies spread by the National Rifle Association, calling it “a pretty shameful day for Washington.”

“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill. It came down to politics.”

Politics, Mr. Prez? It's always about politics. And you are a master of it. For instance:

"As he spoke, Mr. Obama was surrounded by family members of victims of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. Also with him was former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona, wounded in an assassination attempt. "

Did the taxpayers pay to fly all these "victims" in? We all feel for these victims, but the legislation you proposed would not have prevented their misery.

But seriously, Mr. Prez. This vote came on the same day that Gallup released a poll showing that only 4% of the populace gives a crap about gun control. Are you that out of touch?

But we know that this entire issue is a smoke screen. You need to keep attention away from the miserable failure of your economic policies. Americans are concerned about jobs, and you're not.

Too bad the anger you're feigning over gun control isn't focused on the economic boondoggle. Certainly you can find some props to fly in for that one.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Scarlett Pimple wrote:
<quoted text>
And Obama is SO upset!
"President Obama angrily blamed the defeat Wednesday of his centerpiece gun-control proposal on lies spread by the National Rifle Association, calling it “a pretty shameful day for Washington.”
“The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill. It came down to politics.”
Politics, Mr. Prez? It's always about politics. And you are a master of it. For instance:
"As he spoke, Mr. Obama was surrounded by family members of victims of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting. Also with him was former Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona, wounded in an assassination attempt. "
Did the taxpayers pay to fly all these "victims" in? We all feel for these victims, but the legislation you proposed would not have prevented their misery.
But seriously, Mr. Prez. This vote came on the same day that Gallup released a poll showing that only 4% of the populace gives a crap about gun control. Are you that out of touch?
But we know that this entire issue is a smoke screen. You need to keep attention away from the miserable failure of your economic policies. Americans are concerned about jobs, and you're not.
Too bad the anger you're feigning over gun control isn't focused on the economic boondoggle. Certainly you can find some props to fly in for that one.
I'm getting tired of the "feel good" legislation that does nobody any good. This gun law push won't save the first life. Legislation for the sake of legislation is childish.

Obama even thinking he knows a fraction of what it means to be a real man is laughable. His continued lies or ignorance of legal gun ownership should be enough to laugh him back to Chicago, as his knowledge of the subject is limited to that hellhole.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
If you turn that 666 upside down it's 999 kinda like Herman Cain's pizza deal or something
Hey Buddy you could be on to something.If you add 6plus6plus6you get 18 add 1plus8 comes to 9 and there may be the clue.However if you turn the 9 upside down were back to the 6.Hell this is one for Scotland Yard.Na forget that they're probably involved being Tony Blair and Bush hung out.
Sometimes it gets really hard getting this all wrapped up and all.But ya got to keep working at it.
It's nice to know there's someone else out there.
I saw a really close image of Obama's face in the tree bark this morning do you think that means anything?
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Somewhere...a few thousand posts ago...I wrote about a friend I grew up with, who got a job as a loan officer in a small local bank. Eventually she went to work for Countrywide Mortgage Co. She was doing alright there...when the housing bubble began, since they paid salary plus commission and Countrywide was writing a lot of loans. She told me she followed the rules set out by the company and seldom bent those rules...even a little. When the bubble began to heat up, she was called on the carpet by her boss for TURNING DOWN TOO MANY LOANS. She told me that she brought him back the files of a bunch of loans she had denied and showed him why. And she was told "Are they breathing ? If they are... they qualify".
OT, this is why we as Americans need to bring back the "Glass-Steagall Act".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

57 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
vote Republican and save us all 17 min Hawkman 1
Greene County School System At It Again 24 min Nuts 14
WAR with Russia is it worth it 27 min Hawkman 10
If we had a real newspaper in this town 29 min Hawkman 27
from an interview with the HAWK 31 min Hawkman 7
Let's Praise Satan (Apr '11) 32 min Hawkman 259
lady i pulled weeds with behind that church tha... 57 min cretin56 2
Greeneville: 4 main reasons that people refuse ... 7 hr yes but 66
good ole boys- lets name them 10 hr the mafia 10