Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I want to ask a sincere question. Why do you and OT keep saying SS is getting cut and is being destroyed? I have not seen or heard where anyone wants SS cut and I highly doubt we will ever see actual cuts, regardless of which party is in office. The method used to calculate cost of living adjustments has changed, but actual benefits have not been cut nor have I seen where they will be. Medicare got cut due to Obamacare. These cuts were what he stated partially funded Obamacare. I don't think that was a Tea Party thing. I also think there are enough reserve funds in SS to handle the baby boomers. I don't think SS is as bad off as everyone thinks. Right now, interest rates are super low so the payment going into SS aren't growing very much. However, interest rates will go higher, and when they do, payments going in will start growing. It might not be enough, but it will sure help. Low interest rates are good for housing and borrowing money, but they are very harmful to retirees and other savers. As soon as the housing market picks up a bit and the economy picks up a bit, I am confident interest rates will start going much higher.
Well my friend, I base my opinion that Social Security is under attack, on the Ryan Budgets which have been embraced by virtually every Republican in the House and the fact that if not for Democrats, the Ryan Budget would be the law of the land....now Obama, who I believe is the worse negotiator in history, has put chances to Social Security and Medicare "on the table", making cuts all but inevitable.
If you have time, spend a moment checking out what Ryan has in store for average Americans, based on his budgets....and I checked both liberal and conservative sites to be sure I had a CLEAR picture so I suggest you do likewise...the truth is out there and it ain't pretty.
natural

Lumberton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

There are no more good politicians

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Here's another Article with a little more information, but not much , on the same Story.
----------
"FBI, IRS Raid Pilot-Flying J HQs; Company 'Cooperating Fully'."

Click here:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/15/fbi-...
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

natural wrote:
There are no more good politicians
I disagree ! Good politicians get elected all the time. What we need instead of good politicians is good statesmen and those are an endangered species.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
If they buy a Gun legally, they will have no choice, but to abide by the Laws or they won't get the Gun. That's the whole point!
Criminals who obey the law...SHEESH!

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Tired wrote:
My question is, how do you propose we motivate a dirt poor welfare child to become successful?
You cannot spend enough taxpayer money on 'programs' and you simply cannot 'will' someone else to become motivated. The 'Great Society' and various government programs have not only taken away any reason for a person to succeed - but also, and more importantly, the desire to do so.

There are a very few exceptions - Dr. Ben Carson is a great one.

The lack of personal motivation is not that much different than a drug addict or an alcoholic...no matter how much YOU want them to change - if THEY don't want to - it will not happen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SpySpy wrote:
<quoted text>So anyone know what this is all about? http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/15/fbi-...
We don't get much information about Haslam, his Family, or his Family Business here in W. TN., unless it's on the Nashville TV News. The TEApublicans keep it all out of our Local paper.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't get much information about Haslam, his Family, or his Family Business here in W. TN., unless it's on the Nashville TV News. The TEApublicans keep it all out of our Local paper.
Oh yes - it is the conservative media that is to blame!! LOL

Actually, it's ironic that the Haslam's were strong supporters of the proposed state income tax - for everybody. There is the Hall Tax that I and possibly a few others here pay, but by in large there is no statewide income tax.

Maybe they're turning on each other. But, right now it's anybody's guess...and despite that evil conservative media Sassy references - the reason for the raid will come out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
Criminals who obey the law...SHEESH!
It's not about Criminals, it's about People who are Mentally Ill more than anybody else, IMO....and there seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
Criminals are not going to try and buy a Gun, legally, to use to commit a crime, because they know it can, and will be, traced back to them.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sassy, I agree with you regarding the stock market. But there are several other investment mediums out there, i.e. bonds, real estate, mutual funds, CD's, gold, etc.
Now I want to ask a sincere question. Why do you and OT keep saying SS is getting cut and is being destroyed? I have not seen or heard where anyone wants SS cut and I highly doubt we will ever see actual cuts, regardless of which party is in office. The method used to calculate cost of living adjustments has changed, but actual benefits have not been cut nor have I seen where they will be. Medicare got cut due to Obamacare. These cuts were what he stated partially funded Obamacare. I don't think that was a Tea Party thing. I also think there are enough reserve funds in SS to handle the baby boomers. I don't think SS is as bad off as everyone thinks. Right now, interest rates are super low so the payment going into SS aren't growing very much. However, interest rates will go higher, and when they do, payments going in will start growing. It might not be enough, but it will sure help. Low interest rates are good for housing and borrowing money, but they are very harmful to retirees and other savers. As soon as the housing market picks up a bit and the economy picks up a bit, I am confident interest rates will start going much higher.
Pete, last week I called both of our Senators, Corker and Alexander both and both of their interns want to put "Chained CPI" on S.S. and take out Cola, and they both added that S.S. has to to be trimmed. Also just like my Congressman, Scott DesJarlais Republican(who runs on a pro-life, family values) married, with a pregnant lover on the side, who he wanted to get an abortion, he voted to raise the starting age on S.S. to 72.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes - it is the conservative media that is to blame!! LOL
Actually, it's ironic that the Haslam's were strong supporters of the proposed state income tax - for everybody. There is the Hall Tax that I and possibly a few others here pay, but by in large there is no statewide income tax.
Maybe they're turning on each other. But, right now it's anybody's guess...and despite that evil conservative media Sassy references - the reason for the raid will come out.
Nuh, you really should get out into some of the small Rural Towns in TN., outside of your Home area. You'll find that you have a lot to learn and they are nothing like what you're used to...a whole different World, right here in the same State. Be sure to buy one of the weekly Local Papers, while you're there, too! The same Owner of ours, owns all of them in several Counties, including some in South Kentucky!
This is , of course, if you're not a totally Fake Person, which I'm beginning to wonder about.
hmmmm

Weaverville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Pilot probably let a mole in and had no idea, probally a pretty little charmer.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot spend enough taxpayer money on 'programs' and you simply cannot 'will' someone else to become motivated. The 'Great Society' and various government programs have not only taken away any reason for a person to succeed - but also, and more importantly, the desire to do so.
There are a very few exceptions - Dr. Ben Carson is a great one.
The lack of personal motivation is not that much different than a drug addict or an alcoholic...no matter how much YOU want them to change - if THEY don't want to - it will not happen.
Do you actually believe that an average American aspires to be broke enough to qualify for the Great Society programs ? Do you realize how destitute a man, woman or family has to be before they quailfy for government help, and how little help is actually available ?
The silly notion of the welfare queen dripping with "jools" and driving her Cadillac as she eats New York Strip steaks every night on the taxpayer's dime is just that...a silly notion.
The policies of our leaders over years have done more to kill the American dream than any Great Society programs can ever counter-balance...not the reverse.
Some of the same folks who lament the expanded use of the meager social safety net the taxpayers provide to our fellow citizens, are the same ones who have no problem with the corporate welfare provided to banks, oil companies and hedge fund operators. Some of those same folks have no problem with incentivising the outsourcing of our manufacturing jobs to cheap foreign labor markets in the tax code.
Some of those same folks do not want to raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation. Some of those same folks do not want an employer requirement to provide basic health insurance to their employees. Some of those same folks denegrate unions for trying to raise the paychecks of their members. Some of those same folks have no problem with the fact that average income for an American FAMILY is 50k a year.....but according to you, it is "various government programs" standing in the way of every American's success.
Forgive me for my skepticism.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

I can certainly see why this went viral. Everybody should read this and think carefully about his words. They make a lot of sense about a senseless Act.
----------
"Patton Oswalt's Facebook Post On Boston Marathon Bombings Goes Vital."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/patton-os...

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuh, you really should get out into some of the small Rural Towns in TN., outside of your Home area. You'll find that you have a lot to learn and they are nothing like what you're used to...a whole different World, right here in the same State. Be sure to buy one of the weekly Local Papers, while you're there, too! The same Owner of ours, owns all of them in several Counties, including some in South Kentucky!
This is , of course, if you're not a totally Fake Person, which I'm beginning to wonder about.
LOL.

I live in the big metropolis of Guild (unincorporated)...when I actually get to "town" it's Jasper - and if I'm really ready to get out, there's Kimball. But there again, there's always the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg.

This is, of course, if I'm not just a figment of your imagination.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Do you actually believe that an average American aspires to be broke enough to qualify for the Great Society programs ? Do you realize how destitute a man, woman or family has to be before they quailfy for government help, and how little help is actually available ?
The silly notion of the welfare queen dripping with "jools" and driving her Cadillac as she eats New York Strip steaks every night on the taxpayer's dime is just that...a silly notion.
The policies of our leaders over years have done more to kill the American dream than any Great Society programs can ever counter-balance...not the reverse.
Some of the same folks who lament the expanded use of the meager social safety net the taxpayers provide to our fellow citizens, are the same ones who have no problem with the corporate welfare provided to banks, oil companies and hedge fund operators. Some of those same folks have no problem with incentivising the outsourcing of our manufacturing jobs to cheap foreign labor markets in the tax code.
Some of those same folks do not want to raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation. Some of those same folks do not want an employer requirement to provide basic health insurance to their employees. Some of those same folks denegrate unions for trying to raise the paychecks of their members. Some of those same folks have no problem with the fact that average income for an American FAMILY is 50k a year.....but according to you, it is "various government programs" standing in the way of every American's success.
Forgive me for my skepticism.....
To answer your 1st question - YES.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

$5 Trillion spent on 'The Great Society' and just what is there to show for it??? NOTHING. Spending taxpayer money gathered from the successful on the slothful always garners...nothing.

Those who really wish to succeed usually do so with hard work. Those who wait for others to provide not only opportunity - but the means to get it - typically fail. Funny just how that plays out.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Here you go 'Hey':

There’s a dirty little secret in some organic fruit orchards.

That juicy apple or pear that you just paid triple the price for may have been sprayed with antibiotics.

Yep – that’s right. The USDA has approved “new options for organic producers and processors.”

Last August, the USDA quietly released this ruling:

The National Organic Program published a final rule today that addresses the use of three substances in organic agriculture with specific limitations that would support production and processing of organic products.

Effective August 3, the allowance for the use of tetracycline in organic apple and pear production will be extended until Oct. 21, 2014, providing two years for the development of alternatives for fire blight control.

Additionally, producers will have the option of using formic acid as a means of controlling varroa and tracheal mites in organic honey bee operations, while processors will have the option of using attapulgite, a nonsynthetic processing aid, for purification of plant and animal oils.

So those outrageously expensive organic products may have been treated with tetracycline, formic acid, and attapulgite, none of which really sound that organic to me

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Background checks....here's the crux of the House Bill:

"The Manchin-Toomey bill would expand background checks to cover sales of firearms over the Internet and at gun shows, but would exempt private person-to-person sales."

What are they talking about when they say background checks will be required for Internet sales?? You already have to do Background checks for Internet Sales.

I've done many for those who buy guns on the internet. The gun is shipped to me since I have an FFL, I have them fill out the 4473 then call the NICS number and do a BackGround check. I don't understand what they are talking about changing here regarding internet gun sales.

Then again, this bill should it become law - will ONLY affect law abiding citizens. Criminals, by their very nature, won't obey.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
To answer your 1st question - YES.
Then, you have no clue how most of the People in this Nation, live. Maybe you should volunteer at a Homeless shelter or visit a Food Bank and find out. I'm sure there's one in Chattanooga, within a stone's throw, practically, of where you live. Just talk to the People that run them and see what they tell you.

You can live in your own insulated World or you can visit in the real World that more and more Americans are living in because of what you, and People like you, advocate...and find out what's really going on with most Main St. Americans. You would be completely surprised, I believe, based solely on your expressed views.
The choice is yours.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greeneville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
josh kesterson 33 min hank 4
New place to eat in Greeneville 33 min Dark Ages 8
Alan Broyles My Hero 37 min Democrats Loot 12
mandy sue fellers 51 min wonderland 3
Does anyone remember Bottoms UP (Sep '10) 1 hr iLOVEDdestiny 202
Scott Weems (May '13) 1 hr iLOVEDdestiny 22
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr PairAnnoyed 9,275
county commission took easy way out 1 hr strange 37
Who got beat up at the Gr Co Fair Sat Night??? 7 hr FriendofDog 23
Robbie Britton gettin fatter and fatter 7 hr FriendofDog 18

Search the Greeneville Forum:
•••
•••
Greeneville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Greeneville Jobs

•••