Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in 2010?

Posted in the Greeneville Forum

Comments (Page 3,406)

Showing posts 68,101 - 68,120 of123,844
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Feb 13

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Cornbread wrote:
Cut and Paste who cares.
I posted Jefferson's own words. It would be ridiculous of me to argue the point with out proof.It would also be stupid of me to claim Jefferson's words as my own.
It is fact, and it is best to present the facts, as opposed to conjecture don't you think?
I also included a link to my facts.
Where is your link proving that he called himself a christian Nuh?
I just posted one - and the other is in a previous post concerning the "Jefferson Bible" and Jefferson's letter to Dr. Benjamin Rush.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Just wait for the night shift(Willard and Company) to respond!
Nah, the nightshift "discussions" don't appeal to me that much!

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

From what I've read, it appears that Jefferson considered himself a Christian - but did not particularly like how clergy had muddled up the Gospel of Christ; and - more importantly - he didn't feel that his own religious belief was anybody's business except his and God's.
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Interestingly this is the first few paragraphs from your link.

http://www.monticello.org/site/research-and-c...

Thomas Jefferson was always reluctant to reveal his religious beliefs to the public, but at times he would speak to and reflect upon the public dimension of religion. He was raised as an Anglican, but was influenced by English deists such as Bolingbroke and Shaftesbury. Thus in the spirit of the Enlightenment, he made the following recommendation to his nephew Peter Carr in 1787: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."[1] In Query XVII of Notes on the State of Virginia, he clearly outlines the views which led him to play a leading role in the campaign to separate church and state and which culminated in the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom: "The rights of conscience we never submitted, we could not submit. We are answerable for them to our God. The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.... Reason and free enquiry are the only effectual agents against error.[2] Jefferson's religious views became a major public issue during the bitter party conflict between Federalists and Republicans in the late 1790s when Jefferson was often accused of being an atheist.

With the help of Richard Price, a Unitarian minister in London, and Joseph Priestly, an English scientist-clergyman who emigrated to America in 1794, Jefferson eventually arrived at some positive assertions of his private religion. His ideas are nowhere better expressed than in his compilations of extracts from the New Testament "The Philosophy of Jesus" (1804) and "The Life and Morals of Jesus" (1819-20?). The former stems from his concern with the problem of maintaining social harmony in a republican nation. The latter is a multilingual collection of verses that was a product of his private search for religious truth. Jefferson believed in the existence of a Supreme Being who was the creator and sustainer of the universe and the ultimate ground of being, but this was not the triune deity of orthodox Christianity. He also rejected the idea of the divinity of Christ, but as he writes to William Short on October 31, 1819, he was convinced that the fragmentary teachings of Jesus constituted the "outlines of a system of the most sublime morality which has ever fallen from the lips of man." In correspondence, he sometimes expressed confidence that the whole country would be Unitarian[3], but he recognized the novelty of his own religious beliefs. On June 25, 1819, he wrote to Ezra Stiles Ely, "I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know."

- Rebecca Bowman, Monticello Research Report, August 1997

BTW this was copied and pasted.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Missy gurl knows wrote:
rain
Dunlap, TN
|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
15 hrs ago
Judged:
[Clueless]
[Mean]
[Disagree]
M G do i need to get the sack of flower
RAIN?
Oops, i mean plain dumb
or dump-lin
I hope you do understand that there are over 14,000 people in this County.......and I'm sure some of them go on topix. But you are so paranoid, you can't see straight.
You do better on the night shift with all your friends bad-mouthing SSS.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, the nightshift "discussions" don't appeal to me that much!
Ditto
Dumlapian

Jamestown, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

I get it right after while!

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Just wait for the night shift(Willard and Company) to respond!
I'm not assigned to a shift, I don't have a company..nor do I require permission to post at will! I've enjoyed the day as many have brought their best to the thread in celebration of learnedness and advocacy. Did you wish to contribute something?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

The problem is NOT whether or not Jefferson was a Christian, the problem was and is, that neither Jefferson nor any of the Founding Fathers intended for anybody to try and force their Religion on anybody else, then or now, that's why it's in the Constitution...Separation of Church and State'!
If anybody want to be a Christian, then fine, be a Christian or any other Religious Faith, or no Religious Faith at all, if one so chooses...but DO NOT try to force your Religion on anybody else, in any way!
Religious Believes are meant to be between you and your God, not to impress Mortal Man, nor as a Weapon to used again anybody else who believes differently , or not all, PERIOD!
It's actually NOBODY ELSE's Business, except the Believer and GOD, and Everybody else should stay out of it and worry about your own Soul! Another's Soul is not your responsibility unless that person wants your guidance and if they do, they'll ask for it. Otherwise, leave them alone and mind your own business! You've got your hands full, just trying to look after your own Soul and doing GOD's Will!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

ORIGINAL WILLARD wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not assigned to a shift, I don't have a company..nor do I require permission to post at will! I've enjoyed the day as many have brought their best to the thread in celebration of learnedness and advocacy. Did you wish to contribute something?
WILLARD, didn't you post that you were in the process of starting your Third Company??? Now, you wouldn't try to deceive us, would you/
Cornbread

Scottsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

It is a Christians business and duty to bring christian enlightenment to others.
In the Bible true Christians are told to worry about others souls and bring them to Christ.
Jesus told his disciples to go out amongst the people and bear witness of me.
As you witness, you bring glory to God. Jesus says in John 15:8, "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."
Sharing your faith is a direct command from Jesus Christ. He says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."

So if you believe, then you must follow the teachings and the word, and worry about everyone else.

Just saying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

"Iran Says 37 Killed In Earthquake In South."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/iran-says-37-killed-ear...
kenny

Crossville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Haslam
tea party tea party

Milan, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
The problem is NOT whether or not Jefferson was a Christian, the problem was and is, that neither Jefferson nor any of the Founding Fathers intended for anybody to try and force their Religion on anybody else, then or now, that's why it's in the Constitution...Separation of Church and State'!
If anybody want to be a Christian, then fine, be a Christian or any other Religious Faith, or no Religious Faith at all, if one so chooses...but DO NOT try to force your Religion on anybody else, in any way!
Religious Believes are meant to be between you and your God, not to impress Mortal Man, nor as a Weapon to used again anybody else who believes differently , or not all, PERIOD!
It's actually NOBODY ELSE's Business, except the Believer and GOD, and Everybody else should stay out of it and worry about your own Soul! Another's Soul is not your responsibility unless that person wants your guidance and if they do, they'll ask for it. Otherwise, leave them alone and mind your own business! You've got your hands full, just trying to look after your own Soul and doing GOD's Will!
you need to take your head out of opals ass and breathe.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

"Sen. Mitch McConnell Was Recorded Plotting Against Ashley Judd."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/sen-mitch-mcconnell-bug...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
"Sen. Mitch McConnell Was Recorded Plotting Against Ashley Judd."
Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/sen-mitch-mcconnell-bug...
He looks kind of goofy his self.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
You made the following assertion in the above narrative:

"Religious Believes are meant to be between you and your God, not to impress Mortal Man, nor as a Weapon to used again anybody....."

The first leg of your compound contention is not only scripturally unsound as it relates to the prominent biblical instruction of advancing the "great commission," but is sociologically impossible as well! Men and women have always been a living expression of the totality of life experience..including social, political, cultural and theological belief systems. No-one has the authority to alter any aspect of the universe of personhood expressed through these realms of human experience, except you of course!

A person's biblical world view cannot be removed from sight simply because you wish to confine its exercize to obscurity between an individual and his/her God! moreover, it would be equally ridiculous to suggest A person may be complelled to secret his/her social, artistic or business experience from the awareness of others against his/her will. Aside from constitutional considerations which render your idea absurd, sociological imperatives alone are self-evident and sovereign! Of course, the final and supreme authority is God!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

Cornbread wrote:
It is a Christians business and duty to bring christian enlightenment to others.
In the Bible true Christians are told to worry about others souls and bring them to Christ.
Jesus told his disciples to go out amongst the people and bear witness of me.
As you witness, you bring glory to God. Jesus says in John 15:8, "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."
Sharing your faith is a direct command from Jesus Christ. He says, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."
So if you believe, then you must follow the teachings and the word, and worry about everyone else.
Just saying.
I KNOW that not everybody believes in the Bible and/or Christianity and therefore, the Bible means nothing to them! But, Christians do not respect that. I wonder how the Christians would feel if the Muslims were constantly badgering them because their Koran told them to? It works both ways!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

SpySpy wrote:
<quoted text>He looks kind of goofy his self.
Hey Spy, how are you doing today?:)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
WILLARD, didn't you post that you were in the process of starting your Third Company??? Now, you wouldn't try to deceive us, would you/
No, I wouldn't! I'll leave that to the experts. Besides, this is truly your forte! I'll savor the irony of your mental wanderings over the remainder of the evening. Not only is "deception" your forte, I think you should be promoted to: "Director/ Department of Misinformation"!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 68,101 - 68,120 of123,844
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

118 Users are viewing the Greeneville Forum right now

Search the Greeneville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
A Great Big Fck You 4 min _Word Woman_ 113
Greene County Mayor's Race 17 min Greg 87
IS God real? 27 min Reality 17
Hella cray cray up in har... 32 min Se7en187 8
Biggest pill heads 38 min Wow 10
Cliven Bundy..... Straight-up Communist! 43 min The Quoter 1
SUMMERS TAYLOR for road superintendant 2 hr dingleberry 20
Greene County Clerk Race 4 hr harrieta 108
I love this forum because?????? 4 hr harrieta 220